PDA

View Full Version : Search Data Base

Sandi
11-14-2001, 12:49 PM
How do we get the most for our words? lol

Right now, I'm learning about the use of plurals ...
watercolors brings us to literal tubes .. and a few paintings.
watercolor brings us to both too, but MOSTLY paintings.
same for Pastel and Pastels

Pastel landscapes? No such thing in the data base
Landscapes? No such thing in their data base

What the heck? I used both in my subject title and description.

It also can't find my irl name even though I've included it in the description part.

I used commas, is that a no no? Pastels, Landscape, bridge by SKirkArt for instance. Should I drop the commas?

I have 2 that show up in pastels and 1 that shows up in pastel.
Yet, if I search for Sandi, I get Sandi Patti, Sandi Myers, Sandi Dandi... lol, but NO me.

Cutting to the chase..
What's the best way to say it in our subject and in our description so that the search data base can find us and I can find you?

PS. Here's my FIRST 3 ever listed :)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=skirkart

Sumafra
11-14-2001, 01:52 PM
Interesting study, Sandi. Obviously, the plural form does not work too well for our purpose then. That's good to know. I would also not put in the commas, that might make a difference. I have noticed too that the search function does not always produce the results expected. I thought maybe it was my computer. It may be a bit of a hit and miss affair.

Sandi
11-14-2001, 02:23 PM
Thanks! I'll change them then, into just spaces.

:::thumping head on forhead::: Omg! After all that, I realized that I didn't check for Landscape without the 's'.
Who would look for A landscape? lol, Obviously not me. I wonder how many others type it in with the (s). Probably everyone.
EBAY needs a plural Tip sheet for folks, errr, folk, like me. :)

Anyway, "Landscape" brings up tons of Landscapes, but Landscapes won't bring up any. aarrgghh.

:::off to get deconfoozled::::

timelady
11-14-2001, 07:01 PM
Punctuation in the search could matter, I'm guessing URLs might be a problem because of the punctuation (URLs aren't allowed in your listing anyway, but I have mine there too until I'm reported). Punctuation in your listing shouldn't matter.

Search looks for words in the TITLE only. You must click the little button to include descriptions. It will only find your auctions if the database has been updated since you listed them - this can take quite a few hours, especially if you listed your items just after an update.

I don't really see why you would put a plural in your title for searching. Nor would I expect a buyer to search on plurals. They are looking for a "landscape" and would serach for that. Maybe a "oil landscape", or maybe a "Scottish oil landscape". :) You could use landscapeS if you're listing several in one item I suppose.

Tina.

TPS
11-16-2001, 12:43 AM
In most search engines the protocol does not like punctuation. Instead connector words like AND if you want both words to be found in the result or OR if you want either word to be found. Sometimes upper and lower case is important. If you do not include these key connectors then a search will only be successful if it appears exactly as you have typed it.

hairballsdotcom
11-20-2001, 12:55 AM
I know this thread was started more for 'what words to use' for searching, than 'how' to search on eBay, but this page tells all.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buyerguide/search.html

My favorite way to search is by using a string of words done like this...

(cat,cats,kitten,kittens) (painting,drawing,watercolor)

This will result in any item that contains 'one word' from the first set AND 'one word' from the second. Really helps to narrow down the search, yet anticipate different ways people might list an item.
You MUST put commas between words but you must NOT put spaces. However there MUST be a space between the two sets of words.

I don't know how many people search this way, but its been my main search method for several years.

Sandi
11-20-2001, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all the tips, all. I never thought of searching for both singular and plural at the same time Hairy, that's a great idea! I'll go over and give that a shot after I read the link. Thanks!

pixelscapes
11-23-2001, 05:03 PM
Don't forget that it's not necessarily a bad thing, if no "watercolors" are found in the search. If some buyer does a search on the site for "watercolor", your listing will be buried among thousands. If they do a search for "watercolors" and that word was in your title, you'd be the only one showing up and they'd be sure to look at you! That theory is part of why some sellers listing multiples of the same item will deliberately use misspelled words in their title.

For example, I saw an auction seller using all these titles (different auctions):
Playstation
Play Station
Praystation
Playstations
PS2
PS 2
P S 2

Etc. etc. etc.

-=- Jen "De la cruz, Delacruz, Dela Cruz, De Lacruz... You should see me trying to confirm hotel reservations! It's a nightmare." de la Cruz

Sandi
11-26-2001, 05:19 PM
Jen, thanks for the tips! I inadvertantly did just that during my very first days.. then I 'fixed' it like a dummy. lol. Next time I'll 'fix' it back to your way! Thanks!