PDA

View Full Version : his lovely assistant

themanda
11-27-2004, 10:52 PM
this is meant to be about turning women into objects...

36x24 acrylic on canvas

Tamana
11-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Ah. Like the Stepford Wives? (did Kidman not rock in that?!)

Excellent composition. The podium & trim are perfectly designed against the green of that dress. Only thing I don't care for is the over-bearing slit up the front -- would prefer a subtle one up one side (in this case veiwer's left) revealing some thigh and the top of a thigh high...but, know what you're going for here so it works too. Some things are just a matter of preference, ya know? ;)

btw - you ever seen the painting "Beautiful Loser"? This theme reminded me of it...sad.

chandlerjr
11-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Amanda,
I love the painting! Very surrealistic quality to it. However, I have a question for you that begs an answer: who turns women into objects--society, men, or women who allow themselves to be turned into objects.

I have a daughter who is my only child. I have ingrained into her from the day she was born: don't allow yourself to be a victim, fight back physically when you need to, you can achieve anything you really want to achieve, and definitely don't allow yourself to be made an "objective" of any kind. Basicly, don't take any SH*T from anyone!

I will tell you this--having a daughter as my only child definitely made me view women differently than most men.

As an aside, they nicked named my daughter she wolf in high school even though she only weighed about 110 lbs. She is a very kind, considerate, and at first glance, mild mannered, and will go out of her way to avoid conflict. Having said this, she beat the hell out of a 200lb football player who touched her inappropriately. He was out of school for a week and not because he got expelled.
Larry C.

MountainSong
11-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Having said this, she beat the hell out of a 200lb football player who touched her inappropriately. He was out of school for a week and not because he got expelled.
What a crack-up Larry! Man, I love your daughter already!

Themanda - it works. The painting - I read it the way you intended.
Hope works gets better - if not you can always give the boss these two pictures for Christmas -just kind of nail them to his wall! (or what ever?!!) Ha! :evil:

chandlerjr
11-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Amanda,
MountainSong has a great thought--I'm willing to hold the "boss" while you do the nailing. Just make sure you use 1 inch brads--the grooves will hurt like hell going in and coming out.
Larry C.

ronin
11-29-2004, 12:00 AM
compostion is nice. i think the piece would be stronger if you used chiaroscuro or deeper shadow areas resulting in more depth. also your colors are a bit straighforward in this. a bit more complexity in the color area would punch this out a bit.

themanda
11-29-2004, 12:36 PM
tam--you know, i've never seen any of the stepford movies. read the book about a lifetime ago, though. :D

i actually sketched a version with a side slit and a garter. go figure. it just didn't have the same punch, to me. if i had been able to convey glitter on the gown i probably would have gone with the side slit, but alas...i cannot paint glitter.

larry--thanks! that means a lot coming from you. as far as who objectifies whom...i contend that on one hand the only person that can allow you to become a vicitm of something like that is yourself. on the other hand, though (and there's always an other hand) the fact that some women do allow themselves to be treated as objects makes it easier to assume that all women can/should be treated as such. it's an indirect association, surely, but it is there.

good for your daughter. :D that will be a trait that will serve her well throughout her entire life. i've always been very much a 'steer my own ship' type of person, which has made both a lot of trials for myself and helped to see me through a lot of difficult times. i wouldn't want it any other way, though. i can't envision a life waiting for other people to step up to the plate. [shudder]

mountainsong--thanks! this painting isn't really inspired by work. it was actually sort of an accident. (shouldn't admit that, should i?) it was supposed to be a leering magician groping at a trapped 'lovely assistant' but i painted on a scale that was too large for the painting and ran out of room for her head...and then it turned into this, and the meaning changed. i could actually see that i wasn't going to have room for her full form a long time in advance and paced around looking at it for a while until i reinvented it. i'm much happier with this version than i would have been had it followed the intended path, so i must have done it subconsciously. you'd know a thing or two about that, wouldn't you laundry lady? ;)

ronin--thanks for the comments. i think you're probably right about the shading...i never seem to go deep enough into the shadows. i'll admit that i'm a little confused about the colors comment, though. do you mean that i stayed to closely to complimentary colors and didn't branch out into any type of contrast? i wanted it to *feel* dull and slightly oppressive, but i didn't want it to *look* that way. does that make sense? LOL

chandlerjr
11-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Oh, Grasshopper Amanda, you wisely answered Master Larry's question. You are now on the path to truth! :D
Larry C.

P.S.--I justed realized that if you are too young to have ever seen the TV series called "Kung Fu", you don't know what the hell I'm talking about!
L.C.

themanda
11-30-2004, 10:12 PM
LOL...

sadly, i AM old enough to remember kung fu...

Mirek Sledz
12-01-2004, 09:40 PM
hi Themanda :wave: what I see is new sensation from you :p ...woman without
head and without fingers...hmm, hmmm.. I tried read comments to find out
how accident she was and there was that she fought kung-fu :o it's dangerous
sport and here is possible lose don't only head but also legs ang hands.. :o :eek: