PDA

View Full Version : New small ones

kasunart
11-27-2004, 09:18 PM
I've been painting small ones (12" x 16") on board lately (its nice!), here are a few.
So now that I have quite a collection of my own art, how and where I should I sell them? Who buys this style? I don't really want to do anymore arts and crafts type fairs. Should I make a brochure and mail it to interior decorators or what? Thanks for any insight.

Tamana
11-27-2004, 09:33 PM
I haven't tried to show publicly yet. I mostly get private offers, but I still don't sell. Just don't feel that "ready" feeling yet, you know? Just grappling in my direction for now. Haven't learned to walk steady yet. But I'd say set up an appointment with a gallery and take a variety of your work for them to view.

There's some good threads on this...let me find a few for you.

I like your fluid movement and color relations.

Tamana
11-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Okay here's some...Cindy just recently started herself by sending out inquiries...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215954&highlight=Cagathoc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216236&highlight=Cagathoc

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215954&highlight=Cagathoc

Best of...

kasunart
11-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Thank you Tamana, great threads! I appreciate you taking the time to find these and post the links!

themanda
11-27-2004, 10:31 PM
these are lovely! they feel so organic and soothing.

thanks for those links, tam. :D i keep thinking about approaching someone to show my stuff, but i just don't know. there's always that niggling fear in the back of my head that i'll be laughed out of the place.

now you, kasunart, should certainly not have that fear. your work is wonderful.

kasunart
11-27-2004, 11:16 PM
now you, kasunart, should certainly not have that fear.

I guess we all have that fear, since our art is an emotional appendage. Thanks for the compliment. I got a book called the "Artists and Graphic Designers market" which lists galleries taking submissions, and they all supposedly want slides. Give me a break, no gallery owner is going to set up a slide projector, and squinting at tiny slides is in my opinion a terrible way to look at them. But it sounds like maybe some tear sheets and bio/resume would be easy enough. Would you send them in a folder, or one of those presentation folders with the plastic sleeves, or what would be best?

MountainSong
11-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Kasunart, again an excellent line up of gallery ready work! It’s just a thrill to look at your work as always! :clap: :D
.......which lists galleries taking submissions, and they all supposedly want slides.
….yah, and include a SASE if you ever want to see your slides again!
I got a box full of them back from ‘the days’ and I never got into one single gallery using them –some shows but never galleries.

When I look at the factors I’ve personally experience in the art world, both from having been a galleried artist and from being an art consultant in a gallery now; there’s two things I know of that work and work repeatedly:

1. Cold call with your bio and a few tear sheets and maybe your portfolio out in the car along with a few paintings just incase you get an instant interview off the cold call. But usually you’re just looking to peek enough interest in your work to get an interview at this point.

2. Wow, do I hate to admit this – but Word Of Mouth.
The gallery has already heard of you and is waiting for you to come around, or sends word of interest through another artist that their interested, or hands you their card at a show, an artist already in the gallery introduces you to them, or the gallery in some other way makes casual contact with you.
50% of our artist come to us this way, and ‘back in the days’ I got into 80% of the galleries I was in this manner. I even had an offer tonight at a private social gathering from a certain museum to come by with my work. Believe me – the person with the offer has never seen my work, she only heard of me through a woman on the museums’ board who has. When the time comes I would kill or die to be in this museum! Right now, honestly, it’s not even time for shows - much less galleries or dream of dreams –museums! That’s a LONG WAYS off still. (In terms of producing quality art and defining a style)

The point of this diatribe into the personal? Word of Mouth.
Word Of Mouth is powerful – what are you doing to cultivate it? What will you do to cultivate it?

Would you send them in a folder, or one of those presentation folders with the plastic sleeves, or what would be best?
Whatever. It doesn't really matter to the gallery unless you work is over about $8000 per - then nuances of presentation may count. But then again, at that point, if its selling, they'll happily polish up the rough edges or suggest to you how to do it. Of course by the time you've earned that level you already know how to play the game. :D

sherina
11-28-2004, 10:47 AM
:clap: Hey kasanurt, those art wonderful pieces, and the colors are awesome. I think your idea about the interior decorater is a good one, or Ebay or you own website would be really cool. Good luck dear. I'm a newbie!

kasunart
11-28-2004, 01:32 PM
Mountainsong,
Thanks for the tips. When you say 'cold calling' do you mean in person? The one gallery I was in a few years ago, it worked out for me that way, because the guy was a really cool hippie type who was very forward about seeing my work. However, I look really young, (I'm 30 but people thing I'm underaged usually) and I'm a little afraid to go into most galleries (other than browsing through them.) Of course, the success rate of getting an interview is probably much higher that way, than just sending a presentation package in, right?
Thanks

MountainSong
11-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Yes, that’s cold calling. :) You actually want to pre-qualify a gallery first. If the gallery specializes in seascapes and lighthouses they probably won't be too keen on abstracts right? Also there's not much point in choosing a gallery with lots of posters for sale and very few originals, nor Slick Art gallery's - you know that really polished commercial art which has lots of Wow Gee Wiz factor but no heart – you don’t want that either.

So hit the pavement as a 'browser' and figure out who your best candidates are, ask a few discreet questions when you run into somebody forthcoming with info and get the lay of the land. When you know which galleries are right for you - then cold call - get appointments for interviews to show your work. If they won’t give you an appointment, ask which galleries they feel would be a good match for your work, leave a card and mail them your brochures in a couple months along with contact info and then try again in a year or so. Sometimes galleries just have a full house and will be ready for you later if you’re persistent. :D

ronin
11-28-2004, 11:54 PM
strong pieces. you really have a handle on your colors and compositions.

ArtistJensen
11-29-2004, 03:04 AM
I can't help you much with the know how of selling, since I live in Norway and know very little about your art-market. Your art would probably be popular here though. Colorful, nice and uncluttered abstracts has become more and more popular. Modern homes needs modern art.

I want to say that I really like your art, and that it should be very sellable.