PDA

View Full Version : October Cottonwood

woodguy
11-27-2004, 07:05 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-27-2004/5058_Octobercottonwood.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: October Cottonwood
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
An alla prima from last night.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Sky color? Anything else too. Thanks, Jim

katelynalain
11-27-2004, 07:54 PM
hi woodguy,
i love the sky. beautiful this one. the tree really pops!..and i can feel the distance. very nice. this is REALLY nitpicking..but for the sake of critique, the one thing that i would say is that the brushstrokes on the tree all seem to be the same size dot and i therefore see the brushstrokes before i see the leaves. ignore this if that was intent. great job on this one! :clap:

Michael-Ann
11-27-2004, 08:19 PM
I love these kinds of days :) Crisp cool temperatures, blue skies, little bits of clouds high above...leaves rustling and falling on the gusts...lovely!

Spyderbabe
11-27-2004, 08:38 PM
:D this scenery I can relate to --- and its wonderful!

Tamana
11-27-2004, 08:42 PM
Just beautiful, Jim!

sugar tree gal
11-27-2004, 09:30 PM
I agree Jim, this is beautiful... :) Janice

Dhuot
11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
[email protected] Jim

What are you doing ????
This is so nice.. I like it [email protected] :D

How can you DO that to me....? lol :D

I thought I`d seen it all with the other day`s snow...well this one is so...you know !!

woodguy
11-28-2004, 02:14 AM
In October, Mark (Coulter), Wes (Hyde) and I went out for a day of plein air painting. We came across this location south of Denver, but we had to trespass onto private property to get to the "best spots!" The weather and light was fantastic, but the painting I painted really sucked! It was this scene (I took a picture from my easel) that I painted...well I went back to the photo to try and resurect my feeling of the scene at that time. And this one is what happened. I feel much more confident in the studio, the light doesn't change, no bugs and no helicopters (no doubt filled with storm troopers) hovering above searching for trespassers. We never saw the storm troopers but the helicopter appeared to be focusing on us!

Thank you, Katelyn! I am heading back to look at the tree trunk.

Thank you, Michael-Anne! You described the day perfectly!

Thank you very much, Kathleen, Tamana and Janice! You made my day.

[email protected], Daniel! Thank you :) What am I doing? I don't know, but it feels good. And my wife said that she likes this one the best of the recent ones. So, I had better get a grip on what I am doing....When Deanna is happy, I am happy :evil:

Thanks again all, Jim

reynolds
11-28-2004, 02:19 AM
i can only echo the others and say i am REALLY impressed by the progress in your painting ability. i have not been on the boards as much so i really get a chance to see the cumalitive effects of talent and skill!!!

sbeckett
11-28-2004, 05:08 AM
As to the sky color -the first impression was of lifting -it works. Would suggest a softening of the horizon and branch edges- adding to the faceted look I admire.
But don't let it dry!!!
(...were they ..black helicopters?)

Moosehead
11-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Hope you weren't throwing in more sky just for me, but I must say this one is just fantastic. Love the colours, love the light and shadow and the depth. The angle of the clouds, left foreground foliage, and tree branchos echo each other and create a real harmony. I wouldn't change a thing!

(Can you tell I like this one :D )?

Gilberte
11-28-2004, 02:59 PM
It's the golden light that's so seducing.
Great.

TauCetiV
11-28-2004, 05:07 PM
You have set a wonderful mood. Very nice. You can almost feel the crisp cold air. Wonderful color! what type of oils do you use- if you dont mind my asking?

jerryW
11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
great play from orange to green in th etrees.
and all the rest like choreography on the stage (canvas)

LisaArt
11-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Wonderful work! I think the sky is super. Love the golden light too

haaf
11-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi Jim
Must be a nice feeling to produce a masterpiece on canvas every night
Caroline ;)

woodguy
11-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Thank you, Rennie!

Thank you, S! Godd advice, but it is already dry. And I know what would happen if I tried to blur that edge up now...I would probably end up repainting the sky! But then I could add the helicopters couldn't I :wink2: And no, this time they weren't black :)

Thanks, Jon!

Thanks, Terri! I use a little of everything. Windsor-Newton, Winton, Van Gogh and Grumbacher.

Thanks, Jerry!

Thanks, Lisa!

Thank you, Caroline! I wish!!! My next post is from an all nighter last night, and it really misses the mark :crying: