PDA

View Full Version : Translucent Planets in a Binary System

MountainSong
11-27-2004, 04:39 PM
This piece had laundry strung across it briefly at one time! It's feeling MUCH better now! LOL!

Couldn't get the camera to capture the true colors to save my life. The actual colors are somewhere between the two photos.

Second photo is a side shot showing the gallery wrap canvas.

Oil on canvas
16 by 20
41cm by 51cm
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2004/48549-Transparent_planets.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2004/48549-Transparent_Planets-profile.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed

wiscojaydub
11-27-2004, 05:14 PM
mountainsong..beautifully done! You should post this one on the fantasy sci fi forum too. :) jaydub :wave:

shinobi
11-27-2004, 05:14 PM
UMMMMM, blue. I really like this one MountainSong.
Interesting stretchers for the canvas too. Did you stretch it yourself? Having stretched a couple of gallery wrapped canvases, this looks to me like it would be a nightmare. :confused:

ThurmanHubbard
11-27-2004, 07:01 PM
That looks like one of those convex canvases I saw in the Blick catalog, been thinking of buying one. Nice painting too :wink2:

MountainSong
11-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Thanks Wizco! I would - but I get too shy. It's like walking up to a stranger’s house in a strange town and knocking on the door and saying: "Hi! I'm So-and-So and this is my art. What do you think?" :p
You guys all live on my block - so you I can bug! :D

Shinobi - Blue is nice huh? ‘Lowers the blood pressure. :)
I didn't stretch these - but I’m getting ready to give that a try this week - I'm a bit nervous. Any suggestions?

Cablehunter - Bingo - right on the money! Convex from DickBlick. They're easier to paint than the standard Gallery Wraps – ‘cause you don't have to turn your head upside down to paint the bottoms. *L* :)

Tamana
11-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Stellar! (pun intended) ;)

Gorgeous blues, SongBird. Love that canvas too!! They hang beautifully like a blooming outward of petal...

kasunart
11-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Awesome! Nice texture in the atmosphere, how did you paint it?

chandlerjr
11-27-2004, 09:25 PM
MountainSong,
Masterful creation! I really like the design work within the painting and then the strategically placed green. Extremely well done and an excellent example of non-objective Abtract Art.
Larry C.

themanda
11-27-2004, 10:41 PM
love the painting, but MAN...that's a kicka$$ title. :cat:

how long did this take?

shinobi
11-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Shinobi - Blue is nice huh? ‘Lowers the blood pressure. :)
I didn't stretch these - but I’m getting ready to give that a try this week - I'm a bit nervous. Any suggestions?

Just take your time and don't rush it. I've stretched a round canvas that has a convex edge. Turned out real well. I'll take a pic and post it later. It was actually easier than one with squared corners.

edit...OK, here they are.

ArtistJensen
11-28-2004, 02:48 PM
Great, exciting painting. Blue, green and yellow in a nice cold mix. I like the way you have handled the paint.

I could not recognize this as your laundry painting. :D You have done magics with it.
Or has your laundry gone to outer space now? :D

MountainSong
11-28-2004, 08:12 PM
Tamana - Pun accepted! LOL! 'You Punny Girl! :D Glad you liked it - it's not really abstract but oh well. *shrugs* :wink2:

Kusunart - :) Yah, that texture came out nice - I fell back on what i knew - used to make handmade papers so I applied the same techniques to this - had to make a few special tools and even dug up some kitchen implements to get the job done! *chuckle* Its multiple layers - basically one for each color.

Chandlerjr - the background was good to go on this one, but the spontaneous painting thing just got me laundry the first round - so I had to actually sit with the painting and let it tell me what it wanted to be. I plan on planning more in the future - really! :D

Themanda - Thanks! Did you notice how the two different planets were lit by two different suns that weren't in the picture? Thus the binary part of the title. Glad you liked it! I was worried it was a little dry for a title! Te-he-he! :D
Oh! The time it took. About 2 weeks for the background - multiple layers, but the planets and satellite went on in less than 2 hours.

Shinobi - Excellent job on the round canvas - it's flawless and nice and tight!! It’s interesting that corners are more difficult - wouldn't have guessed it. Thanks for your advice - it gives me confidence and you've certainly proved it can be done well. :D

ArtistJensen - thanks! This piece felt real good when it came together in the final hour. And the laundry? It went to the big black hole in the sky! :D :p

pearlgirl
11-28-2004, 08:38 PM
Aaahh...BLUE!!

Beautiful cosmic depiction and the brushwork is fascinating. I'm reminded of the opening scenes of the movie Contact. Love that opening.

There is someone, called sredare, in OC who has work with a marbled texture but from memory I think he actually paints on marbled paper...thought you might be interested in viewing it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231980

From laundry to outer space in a single brushstroke! SUPER PAINTER!

ronin
11-29-2004, 12:05 AM
first i like the shaped wrapped canvas thang going on. i like the first pic the best as it seems that the violet is helping the color balance in it (the yellow). the second pice seems a bit too straight forward color wise. keep it up. :)

muchfoolishness
11-29-2004, 05:29 PM
lovely paint handling
i too much prefer the colour separation of the first photo
im not so sure about the convex canvas but im probly just being old fashioned :)

debbi_carr
11-30-2004, 04:29 PM
OMG! amazing!

MountainSong
12-01-2004, 12:50 AM
PearlGirl – Yes I know the movie! Love it too – It was shot primarily in Canyon De Chelly (Arizona) and on the Plains of Saint Augustine (New Mexico) – both hauntingly beautiful ancient lands. Grew up there in those lands.
Love sredares work – thanks for reminding me of it again – wow is that guy prolific! :D

Thanks for viewing and commenting Ronin – the piece is much closer to the first one minus the glare! I’m working on developing a better understanding of color – glad you liked the yellows and slight tint of purple.

Muchfoolishness – the lighter blues in the background got missed in the first photo – though it’s closer to the original’s true colors – camera’s…grrrrr….! The jury is still out for me also on the convexo’s. Their easier to use than the traditional gallery wraps but look a little funky huh? :p Thanks for noticing the paint handling.

Miss Debbie – Given my enjoyment and great pleasure in your work it humbles me that you find mine also ‘amazing’. :D

Mirek Sledz
12-01-2004, 09:51 PM
hi Mountain :wave: beautiful painting :) Is here a little cosmos inspiration?
It was my favourite theme any time ago..string theory, black holes, many-dimensional world...although my vision in that theme was a little diifferent
is here many possibilities to imaginary for artists...I think :wave:

Carfa
12-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Beautiful picture MountainSong, The earth and moon turn to these side, not often seeing that...
I like the blue color you are using a lot. Very nice picture...