PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!! - What colours should I use??

Europa
11-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Helppppppppp!!! Am about to start second nephew painting but am at a loss to know what colours I should use when it comes to painting his hair - mainly the really blonde bits - this is the photo I am working off - any recommendations will be most gratefully appreciated.

Pat x

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/29499-James.JPG

madmum
11-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi Pat, how many more cute nephews do you have??? :D

I'd keep the lightest highlights white, and maybe add the odd line of pale raw sienna to break them up. The next tone should be palest raw sienna, then a slightly stronger mix, and the darkest tones need burnt sienna and a touch of a cool blue I think. I see a little rose in there too.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast of the photo in photoshop? It looks too strong at the moment.

Ruth

pampe
11-24-2004, 02:58 PM
quin gold
quin siena
blue for shadows

CUTE kid!

Europa
11-24-2004, 05:44 PM
OH I wish I had made a bet on who would be the first ones to answer - I just KNEW Ruth and Pam would be up there :D

Thanks for that - I make the ref pic contrast strong when I am painting - it helps me see where the shadowing goes - me and my poor old eyes.

Pat

WTPDOSA
11-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Pat,
I'm thinking maybe for the bright blond sections a light wash of Naples Yellow, because is is very pale and warm. You can build on it if you wish.

hopefulbucky
11-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Hey Pat another challenge but really cutie

When I did the blond hair of that girl which is about the same color as your nephew I used as Ruth suggested the raw sienna but I also used the Quin gold that Pam suggested and some blue. Also pay attention to those fine hairs that make his hair look a bit tousled and use a very fine amount of masking fluid BEFORE you paint the background or the hair and don't remove till you are done. It gives a lovely bit of shine. Just my advice. Oh and I also used a bit of van dyke brown for the dark parts and also the burnt sienna, ya know like genna did those thin lines and then melding them.