PDA

View Full Version : More Rocks and Snow

woodguy
11-24-2004, 01:10 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-24-2004/5058_canyonfirstsnow.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: More Rocks and Snow
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 20 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Katelyn...I am just keeping on...so far this is alla prima, but I don't know if it is done.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the composition too contrived with the trees framing? And I would like more "pop," is it necessary? Thanks, Jim

MarkMark
11-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Not sure what 'Pop' means but the framing isnt contrived - for the painting it works well. My only comments would ne the snow which isnt sitting in the rock crevices as convinsingly as perhaps it could.

Gilberte
11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
My impression Jim ... the trees do frame the painting, really. The bottom part, being the rocks makes me think of cakes in paper wrappings ... miss the more vivid palette you used in some previous landscapes ........ :)

Spyderbabe
11-24-2004, 01:09 PM
I didn't think of trees framing until you mentioned it.... and I agree with Mark about snow on the ground especially in the mid section.
I have never been to your part of the world :( so it's hard for me to imagine or critique some of these. How could there be such luscious orange/rust color rocks?
If the light is coming from behind the tree on the left then some dark shadows on the front of the rocks would rock!

artbabe21
11-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Jim! :wave: This is really lovely with your signature brushwork! I love your progression of subjects/palettes. I have to agree with the snow comment.

So are you missin' Scott, too? :( He tried to post here a few weeks ago & couldn't get on.

Happy Thanksgiving!

earthbot1
11-24-2004, 02:36 PM
very good job, i think it could be stronger by eliminating the left or right tree.

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Beautiful painting, I like to visually traverse the path of snow winding through the rocks.

katelynalain
11-24-2004, 04:04 PM
hi!
this is a beautiful painting. one thing i will comment on is that i'm unsure of where the focal point is soposed to be. my eye is immediately drawn to the rocks at the bottom (very nicely painted), then i follow the snowy twist, and the black line that squiggles my eye to the right and almost off the canvas..i want desperately to keep looking back at this..but then i get lost and dont know where to look. up to the trees in the center? perhaps there is some depth beneath those center trees or something that would define the area more and draw us in or something happening high and left? part of this effect could be that the trees in the center form a fairly strait horizontal line across the canvas which keeps me moving straight off to the right. maybe its me and i've gone crazy. other than that bit i just went on and on about..it is very well done..and i might add that i could never paint a landscape as well as you have..

sugar tree gal
11-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Jim, the trees framing the picture is ok...I might have put two on one side and one on the other and at different heights, you need to lighten the distant foilage and trees some, and add a little depth to the hillside.. now that you do have the two trees.... try some highlight on them ...can't tell what direction the light is from... maybe they are back lit...you can still hit spots..... I am really going on and on here...that is not like me....ha... but I love landscapes too... and I can tell you do.. So good luck with making it pop a little...I see what you mean, but it is hard to tell someone how to do it.... :wave: Janice

sugar tree gal
11-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Forgot the Rocks!! isthe snow melting? if not it need to be on top ... melting ....make some indication of water running off the sides... :) Janice

woodguy
11-24-2004, 09:53 PM
First of all I want to say how much I appreciate the constructive critique that has been offered here! Everything that has been said has been beneficial and useful. I may not have been able to apply everything in the latest, but you have got the wheels turning.

Thanks, Mark! That is something that I am still working on.

Thank you, Gilberte! I have played with this some, trying to bump up contrasts, but my usual palette is having a hard time being utilized here.

Thank you, Kathleen! Well, it (the canyon wall) isn't really as intense as I painted it, I got a little carried away :wink2: In working more on this I tried to tone it down a bit. But, in Colo when there is no cloud cover, it can be very, very cold, but the light is extremely intense. So the warm earth colors in the rocks seem to be on fire.

Thank you, Cathleen! The snow, the snow :confused: Am still plugging away. Yes, really sorry to see Scott move so far away. His company and humor are missed. I spoke to him for about an hour last week and we got caught up on a lot of things.

Thank you, Earthbot! Does this new one change your mind about the right tree? It would really be a whole lot of work to get rid of it completely :wink2:

Thank you, Michael-Ann! Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Thank you, Katelyn! Great comments! It made me realize that there was no center of interest. In fact what I realized is that I was painting this primarily for the rocks. I was adding "supporting actors" but got carried away and gave them too much "screen time," and too many "lines!" I am trying to correct that.

Thank you, Janice! More great comments! See what you think now. Still not exactly where I would like it to be, but methinks this one might end up being a painting where I was practising trees, rocks and snow with no other point in mind :rolleyes:

katelynalain
11-24-2004, 11:40 PM
oh i think this is so much better! now i can look around and around and around and really enjoy myself. great!
NOW I see what you saw the first time..it all makes sense..and i wonder why that bit of clarity made it so much more obvious.

Moosehead
11-25-2004, 01:34 AM
Hi Jim. I'm really liking your boulders, on your latest paintings, and your shadows, especially those playing on the snow. They are interesting and eye catching.

I've noticed, however that your latest works have been less sky dominant than previous ones. I suppose you are just experimenting with different type of work. I've lately been quite intersested in landscapes with dominant skies, and some of your old skies were among those that inspired me. I hope you've not abandoned these altogether, as your big skies and clouds were awesome.

woodguy
11-25-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks, Jon! Yes, you are right about the skies having less dominance in these latest paintings. A dominate sky can not compete with much detail in the rest of the painting. If you looked again at these recent paintings and tried to visualize what a dramatic sky would do to them...you would see(maybe just me) that they would be very distractive. I try to decide, what is number one: the sky or the land. I haven't mastered combing both yet. So it comes down to "Skyscapes" or "Landscapes." I am just waiting for some more good weather conditions to capture the next series of "Skyscapes." Jim

Tamana
11-25-2004, 02:14 AM
I love the shadow plays on the ground. Don't think we could ever get sick of more rocks or snow, Jim. Not the way you portray them. Learning quite a bit about landscapes from your posts and adjustments...

woodguy
11-25-2004, 02:32 AM
You are very kind, Tamana! Thank you!

haaf
11-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Good save Jim.(sounds like baseball :p )
Caroline ;)

Moosehead
11-25-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks, Jon! Yes, you are right about the skies having less dominance in these latest paintings. A dominate sky can not compete with much detail in the rest of the painting. If you looked again at these recent paintings and tried to visualize what a dramatic sky would do to them...you would see(maybe just me) that they would be very distractive. I try to decide, what is number one: the sky or the land. I haven't mastered combing both yet. So it comes down to "Skyscapes" or "Landscapes." I am just waiting for some more good weather conditions to capture the next series of "Skyscapes." Jim

I agree-not a criticism of the recent land dominated work, but rather a compliment to your skyscapes. I've been particularly studying skies lately, that is why this came to mind.

As I metioned-I think what is particularly strong in these land based paintings are the interesting shadows, and boulders/rock formations. I've particularly enjoyed how you handle snow. You should get lots more opportunity in the coming months :D .

woodguy
11-26-2004, 02:19 AM
Thank you, Tamana and Caroline! I appreciate your nice comments!

Thank you, Jon! I did not take your comments as criticism :) But rubbing my face in the snow that is sure to come, that hurts :wink2:

sugar tree gal
11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Jim, just got back on the site today..... This is so improved.. You are really getting me into a landscape painting mood.. I also paint alla prima..then come back and touch up or whatever.... Do you use large brushes? I do the bigger the better..Really enjoying your paintings.. :) Janice