Title: Untitled
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8X11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi all,
I'm a novice to painting. I'm posting some of my first attempts with oil. Please post suggestions for improvements and comments.
Thank you all for your time.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Iam a complete novice to painting.Please comment on brushwork and perspective in general and any input on color would be great!
Thanks!

haaf
11-24-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi and welcome to WC.
Your sense for composition and color is there undoubtedly.
Very good work for a novice in oils.

Oil paint can be applied in so many ways and in so many different techniques.....since you are new to the medium I would suggest do some research on the different techniques and what they have to offer, look a lot at art and paint a lot and enjoy yourself.
Caroline;)

LisaArt
11-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Hi and Welcome to WC, thanks for sharing your work
I agree with Caroline. Very good work.
Anxious to see more of your work. I started painting 3 years ago and the more I paint the better they get ;) . You will find lots of good reading material here on WC and advise from some truly talented artists.

Artistanne
11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Welcome! I agree with Lisa and Caroline, you have a good sense of design. There is something I really like about the feel of the still life with the chair. Also agree that oil has much to offer, don't be afraid to play around and find what works best for you. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

:wave:

MarkMark
11-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Agreement all round here then. The still life in particular works very well

The still life could have done with some more in the lights and shades at the moment the colors are all rather flat - albeit that it actually works rather well. In order to get solidity in the fruit and bowl you need to work on pushing the darks and lights further. The darkest parts might be for instance be where the stalk goes into the apples or where one apple meets another in the bowl. The bowl itself suffers only becauce of the same problem where there is not enough contrast between the light side of the bowl and the part that moved into shade . Maybe look for changes in color. Fruit is rarely all one uniform color. Compostionally though it is very strong
I cant find any real problems with perspective at this stage. And the 'feel' is lovely. Hope I have not been overly harsh here. Keep going you are doing great

4luvofcolor
11-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks all. It is very encouraging to get this feedback..Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for the composition , I have been basing my paintings from either another painting or pictures that are already done .I will try out the the suggestions from Mark and differentiating color and post some more.

And yeah, this site particularly the tutorials for painting water, glass and using the palette knife are excellent learning tools for someone completely clueless ( :confused: me!)

earthbot1
11-24-2004, 12:22 PM
welcome...your at the most exciting stage...anything is possible. have fun and don't be affraid to make a mess.

Gilberte
11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Nice start even when they are copies. One has to begin somewhere ...
Just paint what you feel you have to paint ..........

WELCOME !

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 04:01 PM
These are both great first paintings, you should be pleased...I do like your still life best of all...very nice beginnings indeed!

Tamana
11-25-2004, 02:21 AM
I love your use of yellow...

You might not realize it due to the uncertainty and frustration regarding this painting thingy, but this IS a VERY exciting stage for you (and ME!!! TOO). The possibilities are endless -- it's like learning to play a piano; very overwhelming with MUCH wrong notes, but then one day you play a melody that astounds even you -- and you realize you've finally found your voice. The beautiful thing is...is that although you've found your voice...you have absolutely no idea just how much you can hone it throughout time...

Looking forward to your participation and anticipated growth. Just be comfortable. Take your shoes off, stay fer awhile. ;)