PDA

View Full Version : "sunlight on tall grass"

Anonymous
11-23-2004, 03:35 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2004/5523_sunlight_on_tall_grass.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "sunlight on tall grass"
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 48x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
How I spent my summer vacation...

A commission to do an abstract - not usually my thing, but an offer too good to refu$e. Buyer wanted to coordinate with the room, and not clash with existing art. I found a photo reference with the right colors then literally abstracted it on the computer with digital effects, etc., until I came up with a composition I liked. Only problem was I had no idea how to duplicate in paint what I had come up with...

Struggled for months with layer upon layer of paint to no avail. Finally, came upon the idea to literally chip away at what I had so far. With a Dremel rotary tool, a craft engraver/polisher, and a (more or less) steady hand, I carved the dark "grooves" seen in the final piece. (Luckily, I had primed the canvas with black gesso.)

Client thrilled. I'm exhausted.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
More?

earthbot1
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
very good outcome for you. nothing like the impossible to bring out new ideas. the work itself is very interesting..a hint of chinese landscape.

Londondeon
11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I like it a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Being abstract, we all see diferent things in it. I see it as grasses, but more easily I see it as people. It looks almost like a polished, pitted bronze sheet. If the color is the one they wanted, then you have a winner.
Londondeon :clap:

haaf
11-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi S.
This is beautifully done and a great size too.
Meticulous as ever I can say.
Beautiful colors, great composition.
You've captured the moving sunlight,
more...? why not.......you've figured it out already.
Caroline ;)

TScottDove
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Ah, Caroline, you knew it was me!
Thanks to everyone for commenting.

btw: since posting this I have travelled to a friend's home to spend Thanksgiving. Wow, how differently the color looks on his monitor! Makes me wonder how different all our posts look to one another.

Tamana
11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Lovely dance of light and color. Yes: more.

TScottDove
11-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Tamana. I think this is something I do want to explore more.

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 03:26 PM
This reminds me of gazing out a window through the first winter frost, when golden fall colors still abound outside...very cool.

TScottDove
11-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Delightful description, Michael-Ann, I see that too. I also see reflection of sky and trees on a rain puddle. Thanks for commenting.

LisaArt
11-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Stunning Scott!

reynolds
11-25-2004, 04:26 PM
interesting to hear the process!!!
funny my first thought was what a beautiful scarf this would make!!!
i think power tools are under rated in painting, don't you?

MarciaGayle
11-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Very interesting approach :p Can we get a close up?
-MarciaGayle