PDA

View Full Version : Brand New WIP

katelynalain
11-23-2004, 02:35 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2004/26142_full_image_WIP_WC.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-23-2004/26142_close_up_WIP_WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Brand New WIP
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just started this Work in Progress a couple days ago. still have so far to go..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Please comment on anything and everything. express concerns, tell me what works, what doesnt. I really appreciate the help!!! (as always)

A Few Pigments
11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
It seems the more I learn the less I know, so I canít really offer you any advice. I just want to say I like all of your paintings very much, and I think youíre very talented.

Mikey
11-23-2004, 03:07 PM
I think that words like beautiful, or exquisite will truly apply here. My opinion is that this marks something you may be looking for in development of your painting.

Mikey

earthbot1
11-23-2004, 04:17 PM
i like this much. i like the pose and blank expression on the models face. i also like the way you have created the cylinder form that starts at skirt and travels thru arms. it isn't distracting, but i feel the background could be handled a bit lighter....but i know it's a WIP.
will keep a watch.

Frida200
11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Katelyn,

my first thought was: I really like the background! :D
It is "sharper" than body+hands, but you're still working on these...

Soooooooooooo good. The eyes... and there is the long neck :wink2: !
Can't wait to see more.

Claudia

haaf
11-23-2004, 04:46 PM
I like the repetition of the heart shapes (hands and upper torso)
Love the colors so far
Caroline ;)

Londondeon
11-23-2004, 04:47 PM
I like it very much. The person seems so intense. I am not usually a formal balance person, but this one strikes my fancy. I would darken the stomach a little, it draws the eye too much.
Londondeon

Dhuot
11-23-2004, 06:23 PM
OH C`EST BIEN BEAU !!!!!!!

Katelyn, c`est trŤs beau...really

The face is so nice, with the distant look...
I know it`s a WIP, but you want our input....then, don`t over do it.
Know when to stop, cause it`s a pure beauty.

You would have made Whistler very happy with this.

The long neck...mmm

Now, I know someone else with a long neck :D tx-G

katelynalain
11-23-2004, 08:20 PM
thank you.. :o
a few pigments..i know what you mean about the more you learn the less you know. boy do i know..nothing.
mikey-thanks for your lovely comments. i hope every painting is a turning point but this one definitely feels different to me too. i hope i can progress..
thank you earthbot!..
and claudia..we'll see where it goes..
thanks caroline..heart shapes a bit after sargent's painting of isabella stewart gardiner i guess..but the whole comp is an amalgamation of all different things..
londondeon-i'll keep that in mind about the stomach..havent even applied paint to most of the shirt YET..
daniel-thanks, whistler's paintings are open in a book next next to my canvas..wierd how influences can be so obvious?..dont worry..i'm sure i'll over do it and ruin the whole thing soon! :D
i'll work on it more tomorrow and talk to you then! :wave: (wouldnt want to 'reply' too often..)

Artistanne
11-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Just watching and enjoying...beautiful work Katelyn!

Dhuot
11-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Katekyn, if you think you`ll over-do-it, then stop right there !!!

It is almost done...I think

IMHO, the hands and the shirt is what is to be finished...but the rest is....................................DON`T TOUCH IT :D

You just can`t stop working ..huh..??

Tamana
11-24-2004, 09:50 AM
You don't demand, you command attention -- and you've got mine on this.

Gilberte
11-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Getting to know you better and better physically !
Quiet but extravagant portrait.

katelynalain
11-24-2004, 11:57 AM
thank you anne..,
daniel-but i had other ideas about the background! i just put a few dabs of paint in 5 seconds. is the background really done do you think?..and no, i cant seem to stop!
tamana- interesting perspective, because i do these portraits in order to feel that i'm really here. not for attention..no one else sees them but you guys..otherwise i'm too much on the inside and cant find myself..
, and gilberte..well..i'm slowly showing more of myself, but..maybe you didnt see the very first s.portrait that i ever posted? i'm entirely nude! hahah :D

earthbot1
11-24-2004, 12:04 PM
self portrait...strong stuff...bit of mystery.

LisaArt
11-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi Katelyn, A WIP, looks almost done to me. ;) I looked at your web site and you are very talented. I enjoyed your work.
Excellent work on the face and eyes. Background very pleasing..looks asian
Curious....Is this painting reflecting a pregnancy? Your hands are down below over the uterus, and I see a slight budge in the belly...Perhaps I am wrong, and you dont have to comment on this.

ordie4
11-24-2004, 12:43 PM
you, obviously, don't need
any help....superb

great figure work
and serene expression
in all
your posts

Spyderbabe
11-24-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm thinking like LisaARt - and that maybe why the eyes seem to gaze into the future?

Mikey
11-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Katelyn,

I think you've taught me something here. It seems to me that you have not gone further by taking on some style, although that may be the case, but by being able to open up a new depth of creativity. I have been looking for new ideas, but now see that my emphasis has been wrong.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Very beguiling self-portrait...that face, your face, is superb!

katelynalain
11-24-2004, 06:08 PM
thank you guys for your utter kindness!
ordie-..its not true that i dont need help..i cringe when i look at my paintings. (personally) they fail when compared to truly great work. i want them to be good. that's why i need your help! haha..
you girls dont miss much..however i'm not pregnant at the moment..
and mikey,-i dont know what moves an artist forward but work and work..and then perhaps a style emerges from the soul? i think i learned last year that you cannot choose a style but paint how you feel. i had heard over and over from grad schools that they were looking for a definite style..and so i tried to paint in a style..and it wasnt me and it didnt work. i felt like i needed to choose 'a style' in order to be accomplished. i dont think that's true. everyone has a style without trying..
anyway,
i worked on this some more today and i'm wondering in what way i have ruined it..
;)
i am definitely not done yet..need to make the hands look better. i'd like to bring them to the same level as the face..how does the shirt look? i havent changed the colour of the face or the background much..if it looks more yellow its the light.

Quiet
11-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Donít cringe! While it is true that you can always improve at what youíre doing, and strive to do so, you donít have to be ashamed of where you are, at any level. And the level of your work is awesome.

Somewhere I heard a wonderful definition of style: style is the sum of all the things an artist canít do. Or to put it another way, if you push yourself to improve, at certain points you will hit a wall, and that wall manifests itself as a style. If you choose to have a style rather than bump into it as you press forward, then you are setting limits on yourself prematurely, and possibly preventing yourself from improving.

(I experimented recently with putting outlines in my paintings, for instance. A friend pointed out that I seemed to be using the outlines as a crutch, and it felt to me as if I was repeating myself. . . so I tried again without outlines, and suddenly I was making progress again.)

Quit worrying that you have ruined your lovely picture, and keep at it! (And if you do ruin it, do so dramatically rather than cautiously. ;-) Itís a better way to learn.

One little thing I notice: your skin above your neckline seems to be bulging outward unnaturally, because of the way it gets shadowed at the V of the shirt.

Heehe. . . thereís something very iconic about this image. You need a gold-foil halo. ;-)

Dhuot
11-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Katelyn this is coming very nicely...

For the hand, you say you want them to be at the level of the face...well you could try the same dark colours that you used for the face...fine lines...

Very good

You know what ?? I think you really have a style of your own...All those self-portraits...Plus, they are all created in the same way. So I think it`s a good sign. :)

You say you " cringe " when you look at your work...me too...never ( or almost ) satisfied.

But Katelyn, you paint so well

Tamana
11-25-2004, 02:49 AM
tamana- interesting perspective, because i do these portraits in order to feel that i'm really here. not for attention..no one else sees them but you guys..otherwise i'm too much on the inside and cant find myself..

Well, THAT'S exactly why I said what I said. You see, it's those who "demand" respect and attention that rarely gain it. But rather those who are humble and "command" such with their mere actions that acquire it.

So I had you pegged, hey? ;)

Remarkable progression. Iconic is a great word, yes.

katelynalain
11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
ok-here it is again now that i've done more work. do the hands work better or do they still look weird to you? i've made changes on the shirt, and fixed that 'bump' on the skin on the chest. please tell me if anything still looks strange..thanks!!!

Dhuot
11-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Katelyn !!! That is a nice smile you put on my face !!!

Well, to be honest...It`s fine

Don`t over-do-it !!! :)

If I come back to the picture with the bunny you posted on Claudia`s thread, you remind me of the photographer Janieta Eyres ( sp ??)

Daniel

Tamana
11-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Excellent revisions; I agree - don't over-do.

Gilberte
11-29-2004, 04:31 AM
sigh ... i've nothing to comment on :envy:

Big bravo !

LisaArt
11-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Yes Kateyln, I agree with Gilberte. a Big Bravo. :clap:

Frida200
11-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Katelyn,

hands work perfectly, I see no bump in the skin... it's great. And you didn't over do it, bravo!

And as a special "gift" for you, since I know you love nitpicking when it comes to your own work...

I liked the folds on the viewer's right hand side (your left arm) better before... looked more natural? I don't know, maybe it's just me... I haven't slept much lately! :D Or the different light? What do you think???

Claudia

earthbot1
11-29-2004, 12:14 PM
looks great

katelynalain
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
hi!
y'all are too nice :D
daniel-thank you..i looked up janieta eyre and i see where you see the similarity! i took that picture with my bunny one year ago but the stove in my old apt is the same one in one of ms. eyre's photos..!
thank you tamana, gilberte, lisa and earthbot! ...i really appreciate it..
claudia,..good eye! thanks for taking the time to compare the before and afters..i'm going to revisit that area. thanks for the 'gift' of nitpicking..that's why i post! i'm too close to it to notice these things..

:D