PDA

View Full Version : getting the glow

rpaull
11-13-2001, 01:49 PM
I've seen paintings that change and seem to glow as the light source is varied. Is this achieved by placing layers of gloss varnish between the layers of paint? If so, it would take a long time to complete a painting when working with oils. I'm also concerned with aging since varnish tends to yellow with age.

I do mostly susets reflecting on water so this effect would really enhance my paintings. Any ideas?

llis
12-17-2001, 05:19 PM
How about using spray retouch varnish? Anyone know why this would not work?

TPS
12-17-2001, 07:32 PM
I would say retouch varnish is not a good solution. It is a dilute version of varnish; i.e. it has a high content of turps which would be detrimental to the paint structure. It is mainly used to get the dried paint below to look like the paint as it is when wet, so one can match the color. The turps evaporates, and the varnish remains in the paint mixture. No drying time advantage with that.

The affect desired needs to be achieved with proper glazing techniques, or by using the proper combination of directly applied colors. There are numerous methods and materials used for glazing, and everyone seems to have their favorite. I doubt there are many ways to speed up the process in traditional oils.

However, if you want the look of oils and also speed, then why not try alkyd oils. They use a different medium that makes them fast drying, but otherwise work like oils. Using alkyd paints, you can use alkyd mediums like Galkyd or Liquin. These would allow you to build up your glazes quicker. However, due to their fast drying properties, you'd need to be more careful with cleaning your brushes and palette.

rpaull
12-20-2001, 12:45 PM
I've never worked with alkyd paints or liquin. I'll have to give that a try. thx

bruin70
01-03-2002, 05:48 PM
if the light source changes, the colors will change.
example,,,colors take on a yellowish glow in indoor light, and get muted by the daylight. daylight's cool/grey color will cut your paintings richness since most people paint with warm color.....{M}

rpaull
01-04-2002, 12:34 PM
thx Bruin, I paint mostly sunsets just for that reason. I like the rich colors that appear in the evening sky, but that can make the painting too dark if I don't get all the light reflections right. I've been playing with this for a while now and I'm finding the underpainting is an important part of it. Then getting all the highlights balanced is the next challenge. There's a lot more to this painting stuff than I ever dreamed before I took it up. I "might" have it down when I'm old and grey ... but I have a lot of fun trying.

bruin70
01-05-2002, 04:49 AM
good glow also requires good contrast....{M}

lori
01-05-2002, 03:00 PM
i would also suggest glazing. this method allows for a nice build up of paint through layers that will vibrate if done correctly.

given your subject matter, i would suggest trying it as a method and see if you like it. it is a slow process, but once you see the end result, you might find that its exactly what you need.

rpaull
01-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Bruin70, Good point... I didn't mention contrast and that's probably the MOST important thing. thx

Lori, At the risk of advertising just how ignorant I really am.....I have no idea what glazing is or how you do it. Could you explain that one to me?