PDA

View Full Version : Signature Lines....... what do YOU think of them ?

jaytee
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Ive noticed recently that there's now a huge variety of signature lines here on the watercolour forum.....

Personally I like to see something there.....not just a blank........but preferably the artists work ......which is kept up to date so I can see how they're progressing. Im much more inclined to go hunt in the gallery if I like what I see in the sig.

I find Im increasinlgy irritated by very fat/large signature lines that take longer to load and ages to scroll through and rarely/never change ........ but if I 'switch sigs off' I really miss the artists pics and the interesting quotes.. and useful bits of info.

I think informative sig lines like some have with click-on-links to other bits of wetcanvas are useful for newbies but I rarely use them myself

I believe there is an unofficial Wc! preference - though not demand - for sig lines not higher than 60 pixels. .......which is why Ive shrunk my pics...... but personally would prefer to go back to 100 pixels as I mostly paint portrait format and 60 is a bit tiny..........

So what do YOU think ? Enquiring minds want to know :D

Fireman's kid
11-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Hi JT!

I'm with you - I do like to see people's paintings in their sig line. (And as an aside I've been wondered how I could do that! :D ) In fact a couple of times I have seen a painting I liked in a sig line and wondered, "How did I miss that one?!"

Not being as experienced in this WC environment as some of you, I have used my share of the sig line links to find my way to interesting stuff. Most of it stuff I wouldn't have found on my own. But it does get irritating when the sig lines take up so much room that it limits the responses to what seems like 10 a page. And I'm even on a cable modem so loading speed isn't critical for me. I am just impatient and trying to read as much as possible in the short time I have here.

So that's my 2 cents - for what it's worth. Now I think I'll go learn how to create a huge signature for myself. :p

jaytee
11-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi Stacey.....that was a fast response :D ... Ive posted a multiple choice poll now :)

Did you know that you can set the number of posts per page by going to 'My WC!' on the LHS of the top bar and then 'Change Options' - or maybe its called 'Set Options' anyway youll find it in the left hand column on myWC! page......

There are all sorts of different things you can change about the way you view threads there.........

have an explore :)

jaytee
11-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Just noticed you asked :

How to get paintings in your sig line.......

- first you need to shrink your chosen images to about 60 pixels high with fast loading time.......RPf posted a very useful thread on shrinking pics without loss of quality to load fast ~ HERE ~ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219211) ...... if you keep them all the same height the line will look neat :)

- now go to MyWc! (LHS of blue bar) and find the link in the left hand column about changing your sig.....

- Now upload your mini sig pics as normal ( via 'uploader' under Quick Links in blue bar)......

- and paste them into your signature page.... DONT use paragraph spacer between them but a few ordinary spacebar taps will separate them neatly...

- TIP....... the sig line will only hold so many characters ( ie letter/numbers etc) ...... which include all the WC uploading data........ so keep you pic titles short !!!! If you run out of space you can delete one and replace it with another.... so make sure you know which is which ;)

- You can preview your new sigline to check it's working

- You can save your sig line until its time to change it again

What have I forgotten? :D

Ps : the pics below are 60 pixels high and all load in less than 2 secs each and this is the max number I can get in the row !!!! If I want text as well that will mean fewer pics ........

Fireman's kid
11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks JT! I'll give your instructions a try. But not tonight - too tired. I was up way past my bedtime last night painting. :D

hopefulbucky
11-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Ok JT you shamed me into changing my sig. line. I had old paintings up there and hadn't bothered to change them. I voted for seeing the artist's works as it is nice, I agree, to see what type of work they do.

juneto
11-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Since this is a community of artists from far and wide , with vastly different styles and viewpoints, I think it individualizes them as it should. It also ,even though small ,gives you a view to their work in a general way and in fact, tells you a great deal about the artist before they ever evan Post a picture.
The Avatars and Pictures chosen, the poses and animation ,all give you a look into the artist as a personality and a person.
June :)

vasilkadifeli
11-23-2004, 01:31 AM
I prefer it to include a short and simple signature... as mine below :rolleyes: :D...

I would like also that members provide their real names and have their own photo in their avatars...

but well, everyone is free to do whatever he/she wishes ofcourse...

Brian Barnes
11-23-2004, 02:41 AM
Jaytee -- I agree with your format for the signature line. I find it helps when I can connect an artist with a style .... but have trouble remembering unless their work appears in the signature line. Seeing my own there might jog my memory too. :D

I voted that we limit the size, change frequently ......... and one other I don't remember...... yikes! :(

I also believe that if you are posting several times in the same thread you should turn off the signature by unchecking the box below the reply box before submitting the post. In the past if I felt people might be tired of seeing my burping fish I turned it off ......... especially if it could be interpretted as a criticism of someone's work. :eek:

As you can see I have changed my signature and will see how it works out. I have lots of other pics all ready to go so will be changing often.

BrianB

laudesan
11-23-2004, 02:57 AM
:evil: My Elephants stay!! :evil: :p

Brian Barnes
11-23-2004, 04:44 AM
JJ -- Your elephants and helpful links are your trade-mark. I wouldn't want it any other way. :D I can easily find you with a fast scroll because of them.

BrianB

painterbear
11-23-2004, 04:56 AM
I've come to enjoy seeing the miniature paintings in people's signature lines very much and have just learned how to put some in mine.

I do think the art work should be changed as the artist does new paintings, and the size shouldn't be too large.

I have switched off animations because the movement as I was scrolling through a thread annoyed me, but I can still see the pictures (even JJ's elephants).

The links that people provide in the signature lines are very helpful, although most times I don't use them, I can see where newcomers would really benefit by following them.

Good idea for a poll, JayTee.

Sylvia

jaytee
11-23-2004, 08:13 AM
JJ -- Your elephants and helpful links are your trade-mark. I wouldn't want it any other way. :D I can easily find you with a fast scroll because of them.

BrianB

Now why would you be chasing our JJ with a fast scroll Brian :D :wink2: :evil: ( cue for cartoon from Lulu :D)

I must say Im delighted to have inadvertantly goaded Judy and Brian into an updated painting sig............. the more I see of these little pics the more I enjoy them......... cant possibly get to the gallery as often as Id like and have missed so many of those on display up until now in this thread .......

.... yes, they do give a real taste of the artist and what theyre about.........which I think is excellent particularly in posts in the General and Technical forums............ reminds us we originally arrived here because of our painting - even if we're currently having a 'creative Pause' :wink2:

Oh. ........and Ive only just noticed what a good idea to have our preferred name in the sig so its there showing when you are replying to a post..

also...... thanks for the info re turning off our own sig individually........... is that a new toy ??

Theres still sooooooo much to learn here !!

pampe
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
We need to remember than not everyone is on cable or DSL and LARGE sig lines and/or animations REALLY take loading time and can crash some browsers.

I'd hate to think that some folks gdon't get to see/read things they might light because they have to turn them off.

I like to read the quotes because I feel it tells me something about the member :wink2:

Ellen in Ont
11-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks JayTee for this thread with the info on how to put the images in the signature line. I hadn't up to now (no time to try and find the info on my own) although I loved seeing everyone else's. Now I can display mine like the rest of the gang. :D

dspinks
11-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I voted both that I switch them off and that I like them any size/kind. I have fast download, but keeping them off means less scrolling and a faster read of the threads. But once in a while I switch them on to see what's up with everyone. I really like the variety and how the personalities shine in the sigs.

Debra

amaze_1101
11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I change mine often mixing up the new works with the old to make it interesting and include a link to more of my work. I agree that they should not be too big and am now wondering if my own is too busy.

Some out there are definitely too big especially some of the animated gifs which are very distracting when I'm trying to read a post, but that's just my opinion.

Good thread! :wave:

Cathie Jones
11-23-2004, 02:11 PM
I chose about 4 - I like signature lines w/artwork, info, elephants, etc. However, I have high speed stuff at work and at home, so it isn't a problem waiting for them to load. And I try to keep mine down to a reasonable size for those on dial up. ;)

Uschi
11-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I must say Im delighted to have inadvertantly goaded Judy and Brian into an updated painting sig.............

OUCH, OUCH, sooooooooo guilty :D You have no idea how many times I thought I have to change those pictures, but all that reducing :eek: :eek:

Will do it soon!!! :rolleyes:

I too enjoy the litle photos of paintings, wish they could be clicked on to make larger for a good look.
Uschi

MsLilypond
11-23-2004, 02:32 PM
I prefer it to include a short and simple signature... as mine below :rolleyes: :D...

I would like also that members provide their real names and have their own photo in their avatars...

but well, everyone is free to do whatever he/she wishes ofcourse...

But my picture of myself doesn't represent me as well as what I choose to put in an avatar. That goes for my name too. My parents chose my real name, whether it fits or not. I got to choose my online name and it is a perfect fit.

andylavallee
11-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I,m afraid all sigs are turned of on mine, by the time I've seen jungle book load up dozens of times I have been on to long to to look at everything!!

BobH
11-23-2004, 09:44 PM
When I was on dial-up I really didn't like the big signature blocks. Don't get me wrong, once they were loaded up I enjoyed seeing them (they're kind of like seeing an old friend's face), it's just that the loading of them took sooooooo looooonnnnnggggg over a little ol' modem. Now that I have a cable connection, the load speed is fairly irrelevant.
That said, I really enjoy the quotes. I feel it's a peek into someone's soul. I also enjoy seeing the artwork. Many's the time I've seen a tiny little painting and said "ooh, that's a nice one, how'd I miss it". Then off I go to try to find it to see it bigger.
Love JJ's oliphaunts :D

Hmmm, I'll have to see about putting some of my "artwork" in my sig. But first, I think I'll cast my vote(s) in the poll.

Starsprite
11-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I've been meaning to put some of my paintings in my sig line too...thanks for helping JT! I enjoy looking at the little paintings in the signature line, you can see that person's style and what they like to paint.... tells a lot about them. :)

CharM
11-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi JT... I've been thinking about your poll ever since you posted it... I have the Signatures turned off because I'm on dialup and everything takes toooooo looooooong toooo loooooad.... :D

I never really gave any thought to the pics, though... I could add some to my signature because I do have options... it's possible that others may want to see a few of my paintings...

I really don't care for the animations as I find them distracting... but, again, since I have turned off the signatures, it's no big deal...

Faafil
11-24-2004, 12:02 AM
:evil: My Elephants stay!! :evil: :p

LOL JJ - as does my Cheshire Cat :evil: :cat: :D

I tried one time to reduce the size, and then he didn't disappear and leave the grin... :confused: (anyone know how ? I'll do it if it would work) Also didn't know I could turn it off when responding again to a thread - news to me :o

I'm on highspeed, so animations don't bother me, nor do lots of sig adds... One of these days I'll reduce the size of some of my paintings - just never knew how or bothered to find out how to add them to my sig line.

I love the quotes from people - tells a lot about the person I think.

I do use the helpful links that some people have, and I'm no newbie...

And someday, when I have a photo taken of me that I like, maybe I'll use it... nahhhhhh, I like Cheshire Cat.... :p

pampe
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
hmmm....let's see

WTPDOSA
11-24-2004, 11:04 AM
As you see by mine, I'm a "changer." I like to share my thoughts and greetings as times and/or things change. I like that changing my signature line is another way to share and communicate. :wave:

pampe
11-24-2004, 11:04 AM
nope...they died :crying:

who has animation software?

maybe I do

*going to look*

Brian Barnes
11-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Pam -- I already PM'd a smaller version of the Cheshire to Faafil. I too was curious to see if I could do it. My first attempts failed as well but I eventually got it. Hope I can remember what I did in case anyone else wants to do it. I used ImageReady, the same program I used to make my gif's.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif

BrianB

Brian Barnes
11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
I put the steps for changing the gif image size here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232485) in case anyone is interested in trying it.

BrianB

pampe
11-24-2004, 03:00 PM
cool, Biran

I couldn't get the mouth singled out to animate....poop

Faafil
11-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Ta Daaaaaaa!!!!!

Introducing the 60 pixel Cheshire Cat in my signature line!! :cat:

Thanks Brian - and thank you too Pam for trying. I just couldn't get it to work smaller, and gave up.

:D :D :D

vasilkadifeli
11-25-2004, 02:36 AM
But my picture of myself doesn't represent me as well as what I choose to put in an avatar. That goes for my name too. My parents chose my real name, whether it fits or not. I got to choose my online name and it is a perfect fit.

Hi Michelle, I just went and look at your profile to find out your name ;)... what I wanted to say was that people should either choose a proper user id or better have their name at their signature part, so that you can address them better... I wouldn't prefer to write here "Hi MsLilypond, I just went...etc..." ... Also a think a personal photo in the avatar would be a good choice... well, IMHO ofcourse...

Faafil
11-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Played around with my sig line.

JT - instead of uploading all my pics separately, I created a new blank pic that is 80 pixels high by 500 pixels wide. Then I resized some paintings to 80 px high, and cut and pasted them onto the new blank 'canvas'. I saved it as one file, but with what, 6 paintings in each. I think that will help save on signature size - I think we're only allowed 600 characters total. Took some doing, but I got it done in less than an hour... next time will be faster I'm sure.

jaytee
11-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Mary Lou............ well done you ..... I had TOTALLY forgotten about that trick :D I used to use it........ but found it was a pain when I wanted to delete just one of the images to update !!! So returned to the separate image thing where I can change their order very rapidly......and forgot all about it!!!

..... and of course putting them in big blocks means you could in theory have a giant sig a whole page long which would almost certainly mean strict restrictions being brought in !!!!!

Out of your two blocks do please start off using the second one........ cos I LOVE those Irises at the RHS... you could alternate it on a weekly basis with the first block - just need to save the WC reference somewhere safe - until you get another blockup and running !!! Then you could rotate between the three until you have four etc ,,,,,You could even put you Cheshire Cat at the end of the line now !!! thereby having everything you want .....but all within a size that pleases the majority and the powers-that-be........

.......thats FANTASTIC............Thanks to Brian and you for the where-withal/knowhow to do that..............

A thought occurs to me about following my own advice........ I tend to delete sig pics and avatars without saving the WC link ..... so if I want to use them again I have to re-upload which is daft........ Im going to start a notebook file just to save such links ....... if I remember :eek: :( :wink2:

Faafil
11-28-2004, 10:37 AM
JT, I used the 500 pixel width because I thought that was the 'restriction'. Just did a 3rd pic and added one more painting to it - no problem. I suppose we could add as many as fits across a line ?? Not sure, so will have a play with it again.

(ya know, last nite, I tried moving Cheshire Cat to the end of a line, and then I got a message saying I was at my 600 character length limit. Today, no problem!) :confused: :confused: Also, saved all my sig filename locations in a Word doc - :D

jaytee
11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
ML thats just BRILLIANT..... 10/10 and 11 hugs :D

Roun2it
11-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Oh no!! another **** poll.

I like to see a persons work, the size as is at the mo is fine it gives an idea. I luv the quotes it gives an insight to the person. I always thought Malty's was the best '..........Whooops!'

I know dialup is a problem, but we are just trying to display who we are to those who do not know us.

Olga
11-29-2004, 05:43 AM
Hi
Since many seem to like member's work, I just used ML's method to make a single long picture out of a few paintings and uploaded it to a signature line.... now I want to see if it works (all this while I am NOT working like I should be...lol), so this is a try-out...

(*crossing her fingers*)

Olga

jaytee
11-29-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi
Since many seem to like member's work, I just used ML's method to make a single long picture out of a few paintings and uploaded it to a signature line.... now I want to see if it works (all this while I am NOT working like I should be...lol), so this is a try-out...

(*crossing her fingers*)

Olga

worked beautifully..........and Im viewing it while I should be finishing my challenge painting :D :D

raian
11-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I like them. I like to see the small thumbnail paintings. I often click on them and visit the websites and galleries.

I don't know how to post them, so I have none...yet ;)

Yorky
12-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I voted to see signature banners. The standard size is 468 pixels wide x 60 pixels high, and mine is comprised of several images combined into one then compressed to 5k in size to ensure fast loading.

Regarding multiple posts, as I understand it, once the picture is loaded once and cached by your browser it will not need loading again.

I like to see examples of people's work and think they enhance the appearance of the forum.

Doug

laudesan
12-07-2004, 02:54 AM
Pam -- I already PM'd a smaller version of the Cheshire to Faafil. I too was curious to see if I could do it. My first attempts failed as well but I eventually got it. Hope I can remember what I did in case anyone else wants to do it. I used ImageReady, the same program I used to make my gif's.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif

BrianB

Hey Brian can you make my Elephant a little smaller???

lensman
12-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Well, I voted "not too large..." I have found many interesting links in signatures. I wasn't aware of the unofficial 60 pixel height max.

And some people do have interesting useful things to bring to peoples' attention, and need to make any extra money they can....

Uhmm, guess I'll sign off now :rolleyes:

Glenn

Carrie
12-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Well, This might not work but if you have uploaded an image into the project system I noticed there is a thumbnail automaticly generated. What if someone just jused those to create their mini signature gallery? Pardon me if someone mentioned this and I missed it.

I would rather see someones paintings there than a banner add to their website. A text link will get me there just as easily

Carrie

JustjoGA
12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
I love seeing all the artwork in miniature in sig lines.
I love the quotes which give insight into the person behind the art.
I highly dislike banners in sig lines, or anywhere except on the web pages
Animation bothers me due to vision problems...
I have no new work except two charcoal/graphite done this year, so no artwork in mine...

My two cents ....

Jo in Georgia

jaytee
02-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Bumped up for Gail :)