GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: wip: old montreal
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: big
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've put a few sessions into this one and I figure I'm about halfway through. This is quite a bit more complicated than I'm used to but the challenge inspires me. I know I need unify it better but I'm just can't decide how I want to do this nor have I decided where I want the viewer to look.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions on making this work?

Moosehead
11-22-2004, 11:34 PM
No suggestions, but a comment. This is looking really good. Full of life. Definitely feels like Montreal. I really like street scenes. One problem I run into is how much/little detail to put into the figures-your figures are dead on (I'm assuming the foreground fellow is still in progress). Just the right amount of detail to match that of the rest of the street. I will look forward to seeing this completed. Please post as you progress-or when you finish.

I recall your self portrait which was very well done. You say you're north of Toronto. Is your work displayed anywhere in the TO area?

LisaArt
11-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Beautiful rendition of Old Montreal. :clap: You really captured the corner of St. Paul and Jacque Cartier square! I like your use of the vibrant reds throughout.

Mikey
11-23-2004, 07:02 AM
A real challenge Dave, and you're doing just great.

Mikey

mcknight
11-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Jon - Thanks a lot for your comments. The degree of resolution for the figures is an area where I'm indecisive. On one day I prefer a more graphic, abstract rendering for the figures,while on another day, I need more detail. How this turns out will probably depend on how I feel on the final session. My work is not displayed publically right now - I'm still trying to catch my stride.

Lisa - I guess you've visited there too. I'm very pleased that you recognize this place. I didn't pay attention to the names of the streets when I took the reference photos. "The corner of St.Paul and Jacque Cartiersquare" might be a better title. Thanks!

Mikey - Thank you. By the way, I'm really liking your last few masters studies.

Mikey
11-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks Dave, I'm very much tempted to do more, because this has made observation which was my weakness more of a strength.

Mikey

earthbot1
11-23-2004, 11:26 AM
my eyes are led in by the fellow with the cap...and move around the scene nicely. good composition/form/colors. do you work from photos? looking good.

LisaArt
11-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Lisa - I guess you've visited there too. I'm very pleased that you recognize this place. I didn't pay attention to the names of the streets when I took the reference photos. "The corner of St.Paul and Jacque Cartiersquare" might be a better title. Thanks!

Dave, I am originally from Montreal. Was always hanging out in Old Montreal. ;) They have some cool bars and cafes around there. That is most definitely the corner of St. Paul street and Jacques Cartier square. However, I havent lived in good ol' Montreal for over 10 years. :crying:
I am in Copenhagen now. Another beautiful place. So I am happy here. I do visit Montreal every year though.

Spyderbabe
11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Here's osme random thoughts:
The ladies in front of the white van caught my eye - I wouldn't change them but I would use them as my reference point... so the lady in the white pants and her little boy need a bit more detail than the first group and then the guy up front on the right needs lots of detail.
I think you need to work on the rose color upper left corner and the olive green building under it which seems to be coming forward

dornberg
11-23-2004, 05:24 PM
quite realistic, yet an enjoyable orchestration of abstractions of colors and shapes

Dhuot
11-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Yeah You painted my House !!!!

LOL

Very nice work. We can smell the " Fleuve St-laurent"!!!

This is quite outsanding work...Féliciation

...It is Saint paul street (looking west) and PLACE Jacques-cartier ( cause it aint a square !!!) :wave:

D

gillyvu
11-23-2004, 07:17 PM
You really captured an "alive" feeling, and I love the colours. The figures are really interesting too! I reckonised the area immediately, great work :)

Artistanne
11-23-2004, 09:03 PM
i like this A LOT! I love street scenes...the only thing I might suggest is maybe getting some more variation in the colors on the pavement, pick up a little bit of those oranges/rusts and throw some in the foreground, just a touch...really nice work! :clap:

Tamana
11-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Sigh...Saint Paul Street....

I LOVE those fiery reds of sun...great depiction.

pero lane
11-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Looks great so far knowing this is ALOT of work here!! :) Guy on viewer right in the black t-shirt...his head seems a little large for his body size.

Gilberte
11-24-2004, 02:30 PM
I love busy streets.
It could almost be anywhere, also in Antwerp or Brussels.
Great challenge ! Keep it bright !

(the guy on the right in black does distract a tad ... )

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 03:51 PM
This is truly fantastic! I am envious of your ability to capture so much in one painting...so much energy, absolutely buzzing with life.

Esmeralinda
11-25-2004, 10:19 AM
:clap: GRRRREAT work ! I love the colours and values you are using. I also recognize this place, go often enough being not so far from there (3 hours).

Your drawing is superb also. I would have one personal comment though; I don't know if I would leave the fellow with the cap in the foreground. (I'm not use to this open forum stuff, being a new member) and certainly do not want to hurt anybody's feelings but this is to be positive and constructive, right ? It's just what I felt when I first looked at it.

Your work is wonderful and I'll check your art in the many Galleries on St-Paul street. You'll be a SMASH for sure.

Salut !

Linda :wink2:

mcknight
11-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Mikey - I think observation is necessary strength so keep it up.

eathbot1 - Thanks. This isn't from my imagination and I couldn't imagine getting all those people to pose for me so working from photos is necessary in this case.

Lisa - Montreal has much ambience. Never been to Copenhagen but I'll have to visit one day.

spyderbabe - thanks for the suggestions.

dornberg - Thanks. I'm happy you like the abstractions.

Dhuot - Thanks!

gillyvu - Glad you recognize the place and the liveliness. Thank you.

Artistanne - I agree I need to make the pavement more varied in colour - I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Tamana - Some of those reds are my underpainting. I know that there is some appeal to it's shining through but I'm going to have to cover it with paint - I just don't like holes, if this makes any sense. I plan to bring back the warms via cads.

Pat - Yeah, that guy in particular needs a little work to get to scale. I'll deal with him. Hope to have an update of this tonight.

Gilberte - I love busy streets too. The darks may get darker but I'd like to finish with some targetted brights. Don't worry, the guy on the right will implode.

Michael-Ann - Thank you. This kind of work feels a bit nuts to be doing but it's all worth it.

Linda - My feelings don't get hurt by comments and suggestions and I view most criticism as constructive. I'm currently okay with the guy in the cap since I think he serves as a device for entrance but I understand how he may be obstructive. I was originally more concerned about the guy on the right since I thought he might be too much of an exit device - now I don't mind his orientation. I really appreciate your comments and they've stuck with me since I originally read them. Thanks a lot!