PDA

View Full Version : Van Gogh's "Starry Night"...anyone ever see it?

LarrySeiler
11-13-2001, 12:24 PM
My students are duplicating a large 10'x 10' mural of Van Gogh's Starry Night, however...I can't get an accurate image. Books, and the internet show it as either predominantly violet in hue or a blue.

Anyone ever see it for real...and which dominant hue is it really. Thanks...

Larry

scottb
11-18-2001, 05:03 PM
Hi there, Larry - I saw it when it was here at the High Museum in Atlanta (last year I believe).

From what I remember it leaned toward blue - but there were touches of violet throughout.

One other interesting note - and you don't get this from looking at reproductions or photos of the painting. There was a lot of canvas showing. Patches here and there. In the sky, the buildings, trees, etc.

Cheers.
Scott

LarrySeiler
11-19-2001, 09:19 PM
Interesting Scott...thanks for the info.
I know that VanGogh painted many of his works in a hurry, and this one he did from his head in the hospital. Perhaps it accounts for the canvas showing thru.

Larry

Studio224
11-26-2001, 12:52 PM
Hi Larry,

I found this reproduction. It seems violet in hue on top, and blue on the bottom.

Couldn't find any reproduction bigger though.

Anne-Claire

Studio224
11-26-2001, 12:54 PM
And did you know this other starry night of Van Gogh? It was done one year before the other one...

AC

LarrySeiler
11-26-2001, 10:38 PM
thanks....yeah this is pretty close. I have some good ones printed off now for our use.

Another has even broken down the actual pigment colors, however...as a public school with an annual art budget, I have cheap student grade acrylics in gallon jugs with spouts. A warm blue and a cool one. A warm red and a cool one. A warm yellow and a cool one. Thus, we aim for a close proximity and one that will appease simplicity, meager understanding, yet optimum results. In other words....we try with what we are able! hahha...

thanks again...

Larry

llis
11-30-2001, 08:54 AM
Larry: I sure hope that you will post some of the results. *smile*

Linda Boebinger
11-30-2001, 09:15 AM
I saw this painting a long time ago in New York. I remember walking around a corner and coming face to face with it. My first thought was "oh my god there it is!". What I'd never suspected from seeing reproductions in Art History, was how thickly applied the paint was, which intensified the energy 10 fold. It's an awesome painting.

LarrySeiler
11-30-2001, 05:29 PM
Thanks Llis...will post some updates next week.

Linda, we can't really lavish the walls with thick paint, but OOooo would I love to!

What I'm trying to do is get the kids to exaggerate the brushstrokes a bit to give that thick paint/brushstroke look. Sorry to say, I had to paint a bit of the wall myself to show them, 1)..it can be done; 2) ..give them an idea of going about it better; 3) ..establish a standard they have to try and measure up to or their more inferior efforts will be obvious.

I know....I know....sounds mean. Problem is, once in awhile kids would like to throw in the towel. When the going get's tough, (and I see this in athletics too), many kids today just figure if it doesn't come easy then, "it wasn't meant to be!" They got into this painting...since it looked cool, was a Van Gogh, and seemed easy enough. Now, they are learning its <b>not</b> so easy.

Always mixing color is a difficult thing for kids...but, I want them to wrestle thru it. Kids are so quick to want the teacher to do it for them. I tell them, "well....let's say you're hungry, and we stop at Burger King. I offer to buy you your whopper with cheese, but I eat it. Upon watching me finish and wiping my mouth....do you feel full and satisfied????"

Then I point out that the satisfaction of learning cannot be experienced nor mastered if I do their work. Its sometimes nearly a constant struggle back and forth. Pleading...knowing when to help and when to give a defiant deaf ear. Each year, the first take on me is that I am a hard teacher...sometimes mean. A few weeks after the painting is completed, I appear not quite so bad after all....and the students are generally pleased and surprised at what they've accomplished. The tough part is living with the fact that for a number of weeks as a teacher, you simply have to accept that many are none too happy with you nor think the best.

I tell them that it takes doing many paintings, and doing them with intent and passion to get it down. They learn after awhile how difficult it is. Then I remind them of my favorite Edgar Degas quote, "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"

If anything....I hope my students will learn to appreciate art in having learned some respect for what it requires an artist to develop. -Larry

Britishbrian
12-20-2001, 05:20 PM
Hi Iseiler,

I've heard that it is included in the current exhibit of Van Gogh/Gauguin taking place in Chicago. I was told the exhibit finishes on Jan 10th - I intend to get there before it does - hope it isn't too late for you to take your students.

Cheers
Brian

LarrySeiler
12-20-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Britishbrian
Hi Iseiler,

I've heard that it is included in the current exhibit of Van Gogh/Gauguin taking place in Chicago. I was told the exhibit finishes on Jan 10th - I intend to get there before it does - hope it isn't too late for you to take your students.

Cheers
Brian

very cool....

I don't have the funds to take the kids down there, seven hours from here. But, I'm hoping to get down there if possible. I have my son down there to stay with for a couple days. *fingers crossed....

Larry

nightblooming
12-30-2001, 10:32 PM
Hi Larry,

I work with kids, too, and your comments are right on. You sound like a truly gifted teacher--it isn't easy to let them dislike or resent you as you push them through the process, and yet I think it's vitally important!

Good luck with the mural. I hope to see it in here somewhere when it's done!

nightblooming