PDA

View Full Version : "vvvviolets" Completed WIP

mustcreate
11-22-2004, 10:34 AM
happy Monday!! :wave:

here is a small one I painted last week in preparation for an informal class I taught on the weekend. since my glazing method is a little slow for an in-class demo I decided to have a completed version to show as well as the version I demoed on which only got part way done.

title: "vvvviolets"

size: 10"x8"

reference: my own - photo taken at Pampe's home :) thanks Pam :)

Arches 300lb cold pressed paper

Winsor Newton paints - Winsor Green blue shade, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Permanent Rose

M. Graham paints - Dioxazine Purple, Azo Yellow, Quinacridone Violet, Quinacridone Red

Maimari Blu paints - Turquoise Green

1. Dioxazine Purple underpainting for the leaves, background and pot. All paint applied using a glazing method and blended with a flat wet brush.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5130vvvviolets.JPG

2. After that dried I added Azo Yellow for some warmth to the leaves and the centers of the blossoms.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5133vvvviolets.JPG

3. To make a nice bright green I added Turquoise Green to the foliage and some touches of it in the centers of the flowers. The leaves are done now.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5138vvvviolets.JPG

4. Using Quin Violet for the edges of the petals, I added a small amount of quite saturated paint as a kind of outline. Then I took my flat wet brush and "pulled" the paint towards the center of the blossom taking care to not make the edges too even to give the effect of a ruffled edge with dimension. I also used Quin Violet for the shadowed "valley's" in the center of the petals.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5140vvvviolets.JPG

5. This is where I had to stop and evaluate the composition. I had intended to have a soft washy blue background...very simply painted. BUT after painting the white petals with the edges - it seemed to me that the flowers would be lost up top where the soft blue background would meet the soft muted flowers. NO CONTRAST. Quick composition change - I added in some more leaves to provide the dark contrast for the blossoms.

Tiny touches of Quin Red on the centers of the blossoms.

Turquoise Green on the lower center for the shadow of the pot.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5142vvvviolets.JPG

6. For the pot I glazed on Azo Yellow, Quin Red, and then Turquoise Green - allowing each glaze to dry completely before adding the next.

For the petals that would be in shadow I added a weak wash of Quin Violet blending with my wet flat brush so I could control how much was applied.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5144vvvviolets.JPG

7. Turquiose Green added to the shadowed areas of the flowers.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5146vvvviolets.JPG

8. Turquiose Green light washes for the background.

Permanent Rose for the stamens - when the glaze was almost dry I took a slightly wet brush and drew up some of the paint from the center all along the length of the stamens to give it a 3-D look.

I then took my black mixture - Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Winsor Green blue shade - and applied it sparingly to some of the petals where they meet at the leaves, and the centers of the flowers to define.

Completed painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/9879-5149vvvviolets10x8wc.JPG

Thanks for peeking and as always - comments and critiques most appreciated!!

em

pampe
11-22-2004, 10:37 AM
ooooooooohhh

you should see how large that violet is now :wink2:

Lovely progressive work....your informal class must have loved it!!

I am (sounding like you) a little wishing there were some warms in the BG

VVVVVery pretty

Hayward
11-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the WIP, you make it all come together so easy.
A beautiful painting, thanks for walking me through the process

Jo

NHArtist6
11-22-2004, 10:42 AM
Beautifully done. Wonderful WIP, too!!

John

jkook
11-22-2004, 10:44 AM
I llllikkkk it. :D Thanks so much for the lesson. Some day I'll try this . First I'll have to find a flower compositon that's suited. :D
Jim

maryrose
11-22-2004, 10:47 AM
An amazing lesson :cool:

Velvet-y leaves and crisp fresh blossoms. Gorgeous textures.

Your explanation of technique is so precise. Thank you for sharing your process AND this lovely painting. Do you like teaching?

genna
11-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Em, Your work is so inspiring. The way you lay down your color is an art in itself! I am mezmorized to watch a piece of yours come to life! Beautiful job, I learn so much from your step-by-steps.

aquarius
11-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Always in awe to see what you achieve with your technique!! Thanks for sharing !!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Carola

Nitsa
11-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Beautiful and useful as always Em! TY!

Starsprite
11-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks for showing this WIP Em! I am determined to give this a try, I love the effect you get with your underwashing techniques. :clap: :clap: :clap:

juneto
11-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Em
As always , Luscious!
June :wave:

Carrie
11-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Lovely, Thanks for showing griselle technique

Carrie

Gilberte
11-22-2004, 12:26 PM
You practise a very special technique and you have the talent for explaining the how-to-do ! Great ... !

Ellen in Ont
11-22-2004, 01:06 PM
You have made the leaves so velvety! I know how difficult it is because I have tried fuzzy peaches. They look perfect. The flowers are so full of light too. Wonderful painting. Thanks for making it a WIP. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Celeste McCall
11-22-2004, 01:25 PM
Dear Em,
Very nice job on these!!!!! Wow! I think that you did a great WIP. I learned a lot. :) My clappies aren't working so here's some clappies via audio. Clap, Clap, Clap. :D

jjackm
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
nice work! Thank you for the demo. The techniques are very informative.

artmom
11-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Exquisite! Thank you for taking the time to do this as a WIP. Wonderful images and succint explanations! :)

Lyn

DominicM
11-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Wonderful just wonderful....

I was wondering why you didn't mask the petals but I guess you know how to handle those brushes...

THanks for the WIP

Sandy1
11-22-2004, 02:32 PM
:wave: Em

Wow! Beautiful flowers and congrats on teaching a class. How long have you been doing that? I am so glad to see you are teaching, I just wish I could come :crying:

Uschi
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
As Always :clap: :clap: :clap: You seem to be painting and posting just a tiny bit more lately, is that a sign of more to come :clap: :clap:
Uschi

Sonia
11-22-2004, 05:34 PM
A really lovely piece. Grrrrr.... you make it look so simple! Particularly annoying as I have been asked to do a small painting of sweetpeas in time for Christmas. I am really struggling - on my fourth attempt! Have to admit I have been using the "splash and dash" approach, wanting to produce something loose - but this rarely works when I am trying too hard. I will have to try your carefully planned approach.

Beanpainter
11-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Em-

I love your violet painting. Its so vibrant.

I hope you don't mind me asking and I understand if you refuse, but could you post the reference you used. I would love to use it for a practice. Your images are my favorite.

Thanks!

dspinks
11-22-2004, 06:12 PM
This is gorgeous. Your control of depth of field is masterful!

Debra

CharM
11-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi Em!!! Your vvvviolets have ppperfectly vvvvelvety leaves!!! Masterly... of course... I love the colour in this piece and the pot was a wonderful surprise... your stems have that thick fleshy look about them and I just know they're filled with water...

My sweet Grandmother grew violets... they surrounded her kitchen windows... sometimes she would let me help her water them... I was only 6 years old and felt soooo important... :D

I'm rating your thread... I'm with Sandy, wanting to attend one of your classes...

Grainne
11-22-2004, 08:13 PM
As someone said^^^, you make it look so easy. . . and so enjoyable! And soooo lovely.

Grainne

laudesan
11-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Beautiful. **sigh**

Yep I rated it too!!

pampe
11-22-2004, 09:24 PM
So maybe Em will teach a class next year while here for the MONTANA GATHERING. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227819)....eh????? :clap:

dspinks
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Oh, I hope so!

Debra

toyam
11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Thank you so much Em, a wonderful wip , you get my mentor points :clap:
as always, beautiful painting
Bonnie R

Granny R
11-22-2004, 11:48 PM
As always, it's a treat to our senses viewing your paintings, Em. Thanks for showing us your steps and explaining so well. I'd also love to take in your class. I love violets and you've done an amazing job . :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ruth

painterbear
11-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Em,

What a wonderful painting of African Violets with your signature colorful palette. Thank you for the really informative demo. The next best thing to seeing you paint in person.

You get both a mentor point and a rating from me for this one.

Sylvia

billythekid
11-23-2004, 06:53 AM
I am queuing up in the row of compliments. I love to see your work, Em.
Always reminds me how powerful glazing can be.

Tanilba
11-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi Em
I'm so glad I did not miss your WIP beautiful creative interpretation of your subject and a joy to watch your work progress to finish. As usual your colour choice is stunning. Thank you for your WIP
REgards Glenda

Olga
11-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Hi Em,

What a treat to get another Em WIP!

Your violets are super. I love the soft velvety leaves and the delicate petals... Those edges and the crinkles on the petals are perfect

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Olga

idcrisis55
11-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Those leaves look luscious and provide a perfect backdrop for the violets. I always enjoy your paintings and your WIP's. Lovely painting.

olliewood0702
11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
LOVELY EM,

Thanks for this informative WIP. I agree with Char in that your leaves look SO realistically velvety like African Violets' leaves are! :D You've achieved their rich green color too. The petals with their outlined edges are "spot on" too. LOVELY :clap: :clap:

mustcreate
11-23-2004, 12:54 PM
*whew* I shouldn't have waited so long to reply.....I hope I don't miss anyone out :eek: :(

Pam - heh heh warms in the background huh? now where have I heard that one before? ;) you might have a point....I'm going to think about it awhile

Jo and John - thank you!!

Jim - why would you have to find a floral composition to suit this? any old flower will do :angel: :evil:

Mary - yes, I did enjoy teaching. It was tough though.....3 of the 4 students were completely foreign to any artistic creativity - I was kind of starting from scratch :eek: but one was entirely hooked with watercolour and didn't even stop to have food and drink after all the rest of us were finished for the afternoon!!

Genna, Carola, Anita, Patty - I'm glad you enjoyed the WIP!! it was difficult to remember to stop and take pics ;)

June, Carrie, Gilberte - thanks for your kind words :)

Ellen and Celeste - thanks for the clappies!

jjackm - I'm glad you found it useful :)

Lyn! nice to see you:)

Dominic - I try to avoid masking fluid as much as I can. the areas around the flowers were pretty easy to paint around.

Sandy - come to Montana in September!!! pretty please?!!

Uschi - I am really enjoying painting more often lately....I HOPE it's a sign ;)

Sonia - I know what you mean....splash and dash has never worked for me - I wish it did - then I could paint all those ideas in my head quicker lol

Beanpainter - thanks so much!! I'll happily post my reference....anyone is welcome to use it :)

Debra!! thank you :) I find depth of field particularly intriguing - in my photography and then translating that to watercolour.

Char!! thanks for the story....my Baba (grandma) had a boston fern and I always marvelled at how healthy it was...never a brown leaf!! I'll repeat what I said to Sandy....come to Montana!! pretty please?!!!

Grainne - thanks!

JJ - thanks for the rating !!

Pam....demo at the get together? woot!! I would be delighted to!!

see you there Debra!!

thanks for the point Bonnie :)

Granny Ruth....will we be seeing you in Montana too?!!

thanks for the votes Sylvia!!

Billy and Glenda - thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the WIP - I appreciate it.

Olga!! thanks so much for stopping by....I've been missing you in the Wash...I hope all is well.

Ann and Darla - thanks for the compliments

I appreciate all your efforts commenting, critiquing, and rating with this thread....thank you all!!

em

here is the reference photo - anyone is free to use it....please PM me if you've used it....I love seeing the results!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2004/9879-1946africanvioletwc.jpg

Sandy1
11-23-2004, 01:07 PM
What is in Montana this summer? I have a feeling I missed something. Is there another get together there?

Sandy1
11-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Ooooooooooo I just found the thread on Montana, Oh I would love to go but it is too far. :crying: :crying: :crying:

pampe
11-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Sandy...only 2 provinces away :rolleyes: :evil:

mustcreate
11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Sandy....catch a WestJet flight and ride down with me!! :)

em

Sandy1
11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
oh that sounds so tempting :evil: you guys are bad, hmmmmmmmmm maybe a little vacation, after all the husband did just go to Florida recently. I just might look into things and see how much it would be to fly. It would be great if we could meet up and fly together Em. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Oh who knows. That would definitely be stepping outside of my box. :D

pampe
11-23-2004, 04:53 PM
and Emily is a really good driver

and she knows the way

:evil:

mazniz
09-24-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi! I'm just a newby at this painting game, but I think your work is fantastic!!!
You have painted the velvet in the leaves like they really are, not forgetting the colours in the flowers they are beautiful

mazniz

ameliajordan
09-24-2006, 01:10 PM
I had missed this and it sure is worth another look by everyone!!!