PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Rim Rocks

woodguy
11-22-2004, 01:06 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-22-2004/5058_canyonrimrocks.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Canyon Rim Rocks
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 16 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Continuing with the Canyon Landscape series. I am pursuing this because I want to improve my landscape abilities. They do not all suceed, but I sure do learn a lot with each one. This one was done "Alla Prima"

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Intrested in your thoughts about this one. Thanks, Jim

LisaArt
11-22-2004, 04:12 AM
beautiful alla prima work. I find it so hard to paint all prima and you have done a wonderful job. Enjoy the colours in this palette.

Tamana
11-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Lovely depth of distance in this one, Jim. Your landscape skills are definitely honing in on where you wish to be, I suspect.

earthbot1
11-22-2004, 11:43 AM
this is very well done. do you work outside or from pics?

Dana Design
11-22-2004, 12:38 PM
beautiful work, Jim. My only nit would be to lighten the trees as they recede in the distance (upper left on canvas).

The rocks in this painting are spot on...I feel as tho' I could touch them, cold, brrrrrrr.

Frida200
11-22-2004, 02:35 PM
more snow in this one...
but the light looks very warm to me.

Nice and peaceful.

sugar tree gal
11-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Jim, I see like me you love painting landscapes, the only thing I can see is to lighten the distant trees,and brush.. love the palette.. warm, and that makes the snow very real...rocks are great... :) Janice

haaf
11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
HI Jim
Well the colors are yours and great , so we are not going to mention that again. :D
It probably doesn't matter for the enjoyment of this painting, I just cannot figure out the distance between the front boulders and the green purple vegetation line.
Do I have to read that as purple trees and some huge green trees behind them or purple heathery stuff with some green bushes?
Caroline;)

woodguy
11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you, Lisa!

Thank you, Tamana! Slowly but surely I am getting there.

Thank you, Earthbot! When the weather is favorable I do work on site, but this was done from a photo. I did take the photo "en plein air" though! Interesting, my son's screen name is "autobot"...and has a "bot" tat.

Thank you, Dana! You are right, I will do just that. I suceeded in doing the rocks the way I wanted them to be.

Thank you, Frida! The rocks were cold, but the sun felt very good.

Thank you, Janice! I am on my way to lighten the distant ress. Then on to the next!

Thank you, Caroline! In the backround are pine and scrub oak, but right in front of them is lower lying stretch of willow.
Thanks all, Jim

katelynalain
11-23-2004, 02:43 PM
beautiful work!!
i wouldnt change a thing..keep going!

Londondeon
11-23-2004, 04:51 PM
The contrast of values give this piece some real pop. I feel the sun on that cold day.
Londondeon

dornberg
11-23-2004, 05:20 PM
i thing the relation of agles is exciting

xavier
11-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Jim, Your on the right track.I would only point out two things.I can see where your going with the angle juxtaposition but your leaving my eye stranded
right in the middle of your canvas.Secondly I think it would help a lot
to lighten your distant values.It would give your whole painting more depth.
Your color sense is terrific!~Frank

Dhuot
11-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi Jim, How are you....??

Well I think that a lot have been said here, but I do feel that the trees that are the further ( :D I am not anglophone, but you understand right ?) needs to be a bit more...pale ??!!

But honestly, you know what I think of your work...It`s a beauty...

woodguy
11-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Thank you, Katelyn! And yes, I am keeping on going. Am posting a new one from tonight next.

Thank you, London! I appreciate your comments.

As always, thank you, Bob!

Thank you, Frank! Definately some work on the receeding tree line....and am going to think about your stranded eye!

Thank you, Daniel! I am well, and I do understand. You are right, as is Frank, that the distance needs to be addressed. Also, I thought of you today...take a look at this website. You are probably familiar with this work, it is really very, very (tres, tres) good.
www.peabodyfineart.com/liepke/

Dhuot
11-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Ah Jim, you are the first one to REVEAL it...LOL

Malcolm Liepke...I am actually gonna meet him next week in NYC...

Of course do I know him.

AH YOU.......... :D

Yes I admit he influenced when I discovered his work a few years back...but thank you, I take it a bit like a compliment.
But there is so many influences all around. The first artist to do so, was Stanley Cosgrove. He did a lot of " paysage ", but a lot of figure and nudes...delightful.

Cheers

woodguy
11-24-2004, 01:14 AM
Meeting him? Lucky you! You have been influenced by a "Master," in my opinion. Sigh :envy: Jim

Dhuot
11-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Meeting him? Lucky you! You have been influenced by a "Master," in my opinion. Sigh :envy: Jim

Yes, I admit.
There will be a big exhibition of recent work at Arcadia fine art.
I am quite thrilled... :clap:

woodguy
11-24-2004, 01:28 AM
Daniel, I looked at Cosgrove...and yes "tres bien paysage." (did I say it right?) You have two very good artists' who have inspired you :) Jim

Dhuot
11-24-2004, 01:45 AM
Daniel, I looked at Cosgrove...and yes "tres bien paysage." (did I say it right?) You have two very good artists' who have inspired you :) Jim

Yeah, I know
Cosgrove is not of our world anymore...

Your french is quite OK :D , but it should go like that ; Très beau paysage...