PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 5 - Drawing Spherical Objects - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JayD
11-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Basic 101: Class 5
Drawing Spherical Objects

Balls, Balls, Balls, Balls and more Balls. We all remember “The Cain Mutiny” with Humphrey Bogart insanely scrambling those steel balls around in his hand. Insane.

Balls are spheres. Simple enough. Balls are spheres and spheres have 3 dimensionality and depth (see figure 1). Going back for a second to the class on the cylinder we remember that to construct and object using a cylinder we first look for the geometric shape then sketch it and finally add the detail that make the cylinder turn into “the object”. Simple enough.

It is the same with spheres. Spheres can be Bogey’s steel balls or they can be marbles or basketballs or the planet Mars—HEY! How about your head!--all are spheres. Let’s look at the incredible edible egg for a simple demonstration:

Step 1--Draw your circle—be sure to indicate depth

Step 2--Add detail. In this case, draw and extension from the existing sphere to make the egg

Again, very simple. Let’s do a nut:

Step 1--Draw the sphere and indicate depth

Step 2---Draw the line that divides the nut into two halves

Step 3--Add the “tail” to the nut

So the idea is to always draw the sphere first.

Let’s do a cup of coffee

Step 1—draw the ENTIRE sphere—indicate the depth of the sphere

Step 2—draw and ellipse through the center of the sphere

Step 3—Add detail (the handle and the base of the cup (keep in mind that the base of the cup is also an ellipse.

Keep in mind that a sphere IS NOT A FLAT DISK –this is extremely important.

Exercise 1—Go about your house and see if you can find and sketch evidences of spheres living among you. What about on the streets—do you see anything there and HOW about in nature—look about and sketch spheres in ALL of these environments.
Exercise 2—Draw the M&M dispenser—I want all of you to do this one as a class project. In this Exercise not only are you to draw the spheres but I want you to help each other draw this subject as a CLASS PROJECT. Remember to start out simply and then build details once you have the basic shapes down.

Exercise 3. Listed below are are a series of photographs. See if you can spot the spheres an then using your new found spheres—draw the pictures—be on the lookout for other class subjects as well.

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461) Class 3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228822) Class 4 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230387)

Good Luck and Happy Drawing!!!

JayD
11-21-2004, 11:04 PM
And here are the rest of the excercise pieces:

sultry
11-21-2004, 11:41 PM
ohhh Jay I love doing spheres; Infact I was working on the weekly thread the cougar and guess what the head and the eyes are?
May I submit this as an assignment? I will show you my WIP now.
So you can see what I mean.

L2isa2
11-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Hi JayD,

Oh Balls this week Cool :D

See you later :) How are your eyes, cold flu ? Hope you are on the mend !!

Regards
Lisa

rangerette
11-22-2004, 06:03 AM
hey jayd, gosh you're quick off the mark this week. thanks for this great lesson, i can't wait to start it, here is the golg ball in the egg cup, as requested :wink2: , and separate pic of the golf ball.

-tracy

JayD
11-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Absolutely, I would encourage everyone to try their hand at Stoy's weekly thread. Never miss a chance for good practive. You not off the hook however for the M&M dispenser. :D

Hi! Lisa-cold and flu remains unchanged--but that is typical for me--Eyes never change--what can I say? I'm a mole-man. :D

Tracy--thanks for the Balls. These will make for some interesting studies.

Mary Woodul
11-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Thank you JayD, I don't see any m&m dispenser down here but I'll convert a chewing gum dispenser into an m&m dispenser. Those buttons are neat :cat:

Jet
11-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Welcome new lesson... :)

i quick shaded sphere...it needs a little tweaking but i guess it looks like a sphere alright...

Have fun !! :wave:

JayD
11-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi, Mary--the M&M dispenser is posted with the text of the lessons---in the very first posting.. Can't miss it! :)

Jet, nice sphere--how would you make it look like it was made of glass?

rangerette
11-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Tracy--thanks for the Balls. These will make for some interesting studies.

not something i hear everyday :D -

here's a few quick sketches, had to do the eye from memory cos i've run out of ink (dunt seem to be nuthin in ma house) (my feeble attempt at jayd's accent :evil: ).

do you want us to draw that whole m&m's dispenser with the chute too, or just the characters?

-tracy

Jet
11-22-2004, 09:54 AM

By softly blending with a soft eraser-it needs to be slightly stained with graphite so it won't erase, but drag graphite around instead, then, it can be done a slight blending with tissue paper to erase smudging marks...

----------

I had done this 'cyborg' with geometrical shapes....

JayD
11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Tracy, how did you know that I have a fairly PRONOUNCED southern accent? :D

Those look really good--I like the eye and was not expecting to see it so soon.

WHAT! Is no one brave enought to take on Bat Masterson!

Jet, very interesting that you should post the cyborg--that is exactly how you do a figure construction in this class. Very nice.

idcrisis55
11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Great start you all. I started with the simple stuff lol (but not easy for me at least), shown below.

Hope your ailments improve soon Jay, Michelle, and everyone else that has been under the weather. (Wonder where that saying "under the weather" came from).

Mary Woodul
11-22-2004, 11:42 AM
Hi, Mary--the M&M dispenser is posted with the text of the lessons---in the very first posting.. Can't miss it! :)

OMG I just can't catch up to Jet, great drawings posted so early. Yes I saw the dispenser JayD, thank you, I thought you were talking about the big ones you find in the stores.

Mary Woodul
11-22-2004, 12:01 PM
Jet- nice sphere and cyborg.
Tracey, that eye is great together with the other drawings.
Ann- you are really and early bird, and a good one too.
This time I though I'd be the first one.....not so :(

mothsailor
11-22-2004, 12:47 PM
(Wonder where that saying "under the weather" came from).

Under the Weather - If a crewman is standing watch on the weather side (the side the wind is coming from) of the bow, he will be subject to the constant beating of the sea and the ocean spray. He will be under the weather.

Some people think it was originally a reference to seasickness.

Deb Leger
11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Great looking lesson Jay and wow! So many drawings done on it already! I'll have it posted tonight as a pdf.

For all of you "under the weather", haven't y'all heard of a fairly new product out called Cold-FX? (Does the "y'all" sound southern? And hey, Ann's an Okie and she has an accent like Jay, too!) Anyways, I work in a pharmacy and this stuff is great! We're starting to have a hard time keeping it in stock. I know of several people who were starting with colds and with an hour of taking the first dose, poof! Gone! I'm not sure if it's available in the US or not but if it is, you ought to try it.

Hope you're all feeling better really soon though. (I switched back to Canadian now.)

Deb

Blah
11-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Hello to all you early birds.

Jay, looks like we all get to have fun this week :D

Jet, lovely shading in your sphere and the shadow. It really brings out the form in 3D. Could see your robot / cyborg only as a thumbnail. It just would not download even after several attempts.

Tracy, nice drawings...especially the eye, bowl and the sphere.

Ann, your way of drawing (style?) is very distinct and I like it a lot. The drawings of the egg, nut and cup are all nice.

Mary, lovely construction of the spheres and whatever else (I am refering to the football). I was planning to do an apple and a light bulb and I see that you have beaten me to it.

Jay's reference to a nut made me think of the nut and bolt variety, so I decided to draw a bolt with a hemispherical head.

And by the way, all of you standing watch on the weather side...I hope you move over to the other side very soon :D

Blah

Cathie Jones
11-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Hope you're all feeling better really soon though. (I switched back to Canadian now.)
Deb

Hey Deb! Wouldn't Canadian be: "Hope you're all feeling better really soon though, eh?" :wink2: (I have a Canadian ex-son-in-law)

Everyone's drawings are looking great! I may have time to start a couple at lunch today - got ahead of myself with PageMaker, so I don't need to read ahead today.

I definitely will not be drawing Bat!:eek: I will simply assume that was inserted for those who are going back to basics, not those of us who are looking forward to doing such things in the future! Heck, I can't even draw a decent pitcher yet!!! :D

JayD
11-22-2004, 02:09 PM
For those of you who are doing portraitures for you final project--I would encourage all of you to make a try for the great Bat Masterson. The spheres are near the ears! :evil:

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 02:14 PM
WOW!!!! Everybody sure is on the move and doing great!!! :D
And it's Monday....

Posting part of the lesson. Hope to have more later today.

JayD
11-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Judi--look at the desk lamp and the coffee cup...you are right--boy, you folks are busy beavers and only on a Monday. This going to be a very interesting week....

Oh, my GOD!!! I've got you folks drawing Balls and Nuts!!! :D

Blah
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Judi, terrific drawings, especially the cup and saucer :clap:

Blah

Fireman's kid
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Page 2 and it's only the first day!! I swear you people are getting faster and I am getting slower. Even on my best days I won't be able to keep up with this pace. :D

Love everything posted so far - nuts, balls, eggs, cups, lightballs - already too much to comment on inidividually but all of it is great! :clap:

Blah, it's funny that you drew a nut and bolt because when I read the lesson I was thinking of that kind of nut too. I was wondering how it was a sphere. It is more like a slice out of a middle of a sphere. Good thing Jay posted his sketch and cleared it up for me.

I hope to get some of my sketching done over the Thanksgiving holiday (Thurs and Fri) so I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for my pics. :p

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 03:37 PM
JayD,
I am looking at the cup and desk lamp. Please tell me what needs corrected. I see the cup base need's some more work/correction? Not sure about the desk lamp....

g7i7n7a
11-22-2004, 03:48 PM
wow, off to a roaring start.
starting to notice great advances in peoples drawings, very exciting!!!

Cathie, I thought the jug was a quite a challenge, but you nailed the shape perfectly!!

Jet, cool egg cup. and your sphere, reminds me of a stealy (marble) after winning many battles. :)

Everyone else, also, most excellent!! :wave:

gina

JayD
11-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Looking at the coffee cup I see a well rounded top but a flat bottom and A dependancy on edges--that may be causing the flatness.

Regarding the lamp-the top looks flat but the bottom looks well rounded. Did you draw the light bulb or only the part that you could see. A light bulb is a cylinder and a sphere.

It looks like you have a habit of lapsing into hard lines and that creates a flatness to the drawing almost like a cartoon. IT is a very hard habit to break so just be aware and keep practicing.

JayD
11-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Blah, some nice cross hatching on the nut and the bolt--your hand is really loosening up.

Jet
11-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Jet, lovely shading in your sphere and the shadow. It really brings out the form in 3D. Could see your robot / cyborg only as a thumbnail. It just would not download even after several attempts.
Blah

You might have some open windows with images or cache overload...
please click on next link to the Cyborg Picture (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191029)

Thanks for your comments..
Regards :)

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 05:37 PM
OK Boss :D ,
I hope I got what you were telling me...so I broke the cardinal rule I was trying so hard not to....See if this is any better.

BTW, I plucked a few eyebrows, they were really bothering me!

I could just do this all day. :D

mothsailor
11-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Everyone is really doing great stuff! For some reason, I decided to start with Bat. As I've never tried to draw a portrait before, this probably wasn't smart! :o Anyway, here it is!

Metier
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Page 2 and it's only the first day!! I swear you people are getting faster and I am getting slower. Even on my best days I won't be able to keep up with this pace. :D

Love everything posted so far - nuts, balls, eggs, cups, lightballs - already too much to comment on inidividually but all of it is great! :clap:

Blah, it's funny that you drew a nut and bolt because when I read the lesson I was thinking of that kind of nut too. I was wondering how it was a sphere. It is more like a slice out of a middle of a sphere. Good thing Jay posted his sketch and cleared it up for me.

I hope to get some of my sketching done over the Thanksgiving holiday (Thurs and Fri) so I hope no one is holding their breath waiting for my pics. :p

Actually, wouldn't a nut (that attaches to a bolt) be a very short cylinder?

Mary Woodul
11-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Blah- you almost covered everything we have seen with the nut and bolt, beside doing it to perfection.

Judi- that cup of yours has such an antique look. it is inviting.

Gina, you and I started with the same models, now we have to tackle the others. :eek:

Hi, I turned in my first drawing this morning and I did two more because everyone is soooo busy drawing. I'll be behind my tomorrow again. :(

JayD
11-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Any answers here--anyone up for a nutty debate?

g7i7n7a
11-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone, :wave:

JUdy - you are cooking!!! everythings looking great!

Dave - if that's your first portrait....you got it goin on!!
Mary - we're getting there.

I couldn't really see the dispenser, so I opted for this one, but it took so long to get this far, I didn't bother shading, might just save it for that lesson.
Bombed on the watch, too. The shaping of that one is more in the shading, (I think) so... and with all that reflection.. :(

y' all are going nuts with your drawing!!, so I gotta bolt.... :)(i know..there should be a groan icon,)
gina

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Gina,
I'd say everybody's cookin'. I love your second post!!!

Debate?

idcrisis55
11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Mary, I thought I would be early posting too and wasn't lol. Your line drawings look great. Are these traced using tracing paper over your original drawings so they are cleaned up or are these your originals drawings? The reason I asked is because they look like the original and I couldn't produce that neat or crisp look when drawing if I tried lol. I liked the eye and nut you drew too.

Dave, thanks so much for coming back with the source of "under the weather". That makes perfect sense now! That is your 1st portrait drawing? Wow, you did great I thought!

Cool Deb, I'll write that name down of the cold meds. I know, you've heard me speak when we had classes together lol. But I bet Jay's is more Southern while my accent is more "Hillbilly" lol.

Blah, I just love to see your work. Your rendering of the nut and bolt are just excellent. I like the crosshatching and the lines. Thanks for the comments on my drawings. 20+ years ago I took a few drawing classes from a fine wildlife artist in Anchorage and all I can remember is to start softly with the lines, placing them side by side.

Judi, those are great drawings. I especially liked your lamp. That eye looks good too. I like the shading which makes it look like an orb.

You all have been so busy drawing while I've been painting (and napping) so I had better get busy.

idcrisis55
11-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Gina,
I'd say everybody's cookin'. I love your second post!!!

Debate?

Ditto what Judi said :D

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Ann,
Thanks. I was wondering what an orb was so I went back to the post. I thought the pupil and iris were a little messed up and fixed it.

How is you sister?

SabineD.
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
I've been lurking in lesson 4 and thought it was time to come out in the open again. I've kept up on the exercises for lesson 4 and started my sphere exercises for lesson 5. I'm off from school this week and plan on posting more.

Very interesting discussion concerning accents. Ann and JayD, you're accents are slightly southern compared to most down here in Mississippi. We've got fixin' and dauwwwwgs. Now, I have a German accent with a little southern twang thrown in. Don't quite know where I fit! :confused:

Jet, I've enjoyed your links and have learned so much as a result. The marble looks great. Now I have an idea how to make the sphere stand out from the buttons on Jay's assignmet.

Gina, especially enjoyed your eye and your rendition of the M&M. Very wimsical.

Judy, the cup and saucer are wonderful. I like the detail on the cup. What kind of coffee do you have in there?

JayD, thanks for your hard work and encouragement.

Judi1957
11-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Sabine,
Welcome to the class!!!

Mary Woodul
11-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Mary, I thought I would be early posting too and wasn't lol. Your line drawings look great. Are these traced using tracing paper over your original drawings so they are cleaned up or are these your originals drawings? The reason I asked is because they look like the original and I couldn't produce that neat or crisp look when drawing if I tried lol. I liked the eye and nut you drew too.

Thank you Ann, no they are free hand but I didn't shade them which is what I like in your drawings. You finish them off very nicely.

g7i7n7a
11-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Welcome Sabined, :wave:
glad to see your joining in, I'm sure you will enjoy yourself, and learn alot along with us.
gina

JayD
11-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Dave, you are a brave sailor--I am a fan of Bat masterson--hold up you Bat to the mirror and see if you can locate where to make corrections. Hint--look to the shadow side--Also, keep your shadows out of the picture until you have worked out your proportions. Were you able to locate spheres in this picture?

Mary: beautiful eye and nut--I think it was smart to simplify the eye drawing. Being an artist is, of course, about seeing, but it is also about eliminating clutter--the hallmark of building a good composition. I like the cleaness of the line on the nut

Gina--boy, you guys are really not into the M&M dispenser, However, I seemed to have gotten a Garfield out of this. Good job--is this off the top of your head or from a model. good use of the sphere.

I love the way you have taken several subjects and made a composition--this counts toward imagination. Regarding reflections on the watch--believe it or not it is not about shade--it is about shapes--break the reflections in to all the different shapes that you see--the reproduce them a shape at a time--you will be amazed at what happens.

Hi, Annnnnne---Hi Marrrrreeeeee

Sabine, welcome back--dive right in and join the fun. Glad that you are back with us! :wave:

JayD
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Time for a mini field trip:

Head over to this thread, especially you watercolorist types, and take a look at the conte study and then at the finished product--feel free to post comments to the artist, Ozonalori:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2936639#post2936639

Here she has used drawing to help her preplan her final watercolor piece.

Jet
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Jet, I've enjoyed your links and have learned so much as a result. The marble looks great. Now I have an idea how to make the sphere stand out from the buttons on Jay's assignmet.

I'm glad you've found it useful.. :clap:

Jet, cool egg cup. and your sphere, reminds me of a stealy (marble) after winning many battles. :)

gina

Gina, I thought it looked like a beat marble too.. :)

*The trick to get that look is done by slightly scratching the paper with a sharp pencil and when the surface gets blended, 'the scratches' get all the graphite 'trapped in' and stand out as "dark cracks" in the final rendering.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments

Regards
:wave:

JayD
11-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Hey, Jet--the term is called "impressing"--graphite and colored pencil artist both use this technique--interestingly, you let the graphite get INTO the cracks to create a darkened effect. But you can create, for example, dark threads in fabric by darkening the fabric while leaving the impressed lines white. :)

A perfect trick--thanks for sharing. :)

OH--the bestes paper in the whole wide world for impressing in my humble opinion is Stonehenge--it is soft and takes the line very well.

Cathie Jones
11-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Thanks, JayD, I like field trips, and this was a good one!

Received, posted and printed the Lesson 5 pdf from Deb, and have read Rudy's chapter. Ready . . . set . . . it's late, I'll GO tomorrow . . .

g7i7n7a
11-23-2004, 12:02 AM
HI Jayd,
thanks for the instruction, I can't actually take credit for the compostion, it just ended up like that, I didn't notice til I was done.
I will try out your advice on the watch.
I am attempting to do all the assignments,but i Just couldn't see the dispenser. I looked for a clearer one and found the garfield.
I was having problems with the base, I don't think it's inline. I did learn from doing it though. Initially, I was trying to copy every line that was in the picture. but then realised, mine may not end up in the exact same perspective as the picture, so now I will attempt to just use the picture as a guide, and draw the forms from my head. so painfully obvious, after the fact. ( am I just learning the same lesson over again each week...duh.)
thanks again,
gina :)

Blah
11-23-2004, 05:05 AM
You might have some open windows with images or cache overload...
please click on next link to the Cyborg Picture (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=191029)

Thanks for your comments..
Regards :)

Jet, thanks. That's probably what it was.

I used your link and saw the drawing now. Nice imaginative use of spheres, ovals and cones, and the overall proportion of the human anatomy (well...robot's anatomy) is pretty good too.

Blah

Blah
11-23-2004, 05:17 AM
Actually, wouldn't a nut (that attaches to a bolt) be a very short cylinder?

The bore of the nut would be a hollowed out cylinder, while the nut itself would be a cube or multi-sided figure (six-sided in my drawing) with a flat top and bottom.

Blah

Blah
11-23-2004, 06:05 AM
Jay, Maryand Ann, thank you for the favourable comments.

Mary, the eye and nut look very nice. The eye definitely looks like it is part of a sphere, which is how it should be, and the teardrops are very nicely drawn.

Dave, whether smart or not, for someone who has never done a portrait before your drawing of Bat looks really good.

Gina, you have got all the shapes and the perspective right in your drawing and you seem to be getting them effortlessly. The garfield dispenser is very nicely drawn, the eye is simply stunning, and you have got a very imaginative and interesting composition with the M&M ball, eye and watch.

Blah

rangerette
11-23-2004, 06:24 AM
hi guys

good grief you've all been very busy the past 24 hours!!!
mary - your football and lightbulb are super (heavy english accent here)
blah - that screw is fab love the cross-hatching work
judi - my you've been busy, the desk lamp and eye are very well done
gina - your garfield is great - it really made me smile.

-quick question - who on earth was bat masterson?

-look forward to the next influx of drawings.

-tracy

Blah
11-23-2004, 06:38 AM
-quick question - who on earth was bat masterson?

Thank you Tracy.

I think Bat Masterson was a famous gunslinger and friend of the Earp family, one of those involved in the gunfight at the OK corral.

Blah

mothsailor
11-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Here's a source on Bat Masterson. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Masterson)

mothsailor
11-23-2004, 07:23 AM
I couldn't just abandon slinkies, so here's a sort of slinky sphere! Plus an eye and a webcam.

Thanks for the kind words about Bat. Lucky he isn't alive to see it...given his reputation, goodness knows what might have happened to me... :eek: I'll have a go at changing it later. I thought the spheres were the head, the eyes (but they were too small to really make sphere-like, I thought), and the hat. Did I miss some? :confused:

I think everyone's work is really great...you're all making me feel bad :crying:

Jet
11-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Follow next link If you're looking for a Picture of Bat Masterson (http://www.linecamp.com/museums/americanwest/western_names/masterson_bat/masterson_bat.html)
Or a page with

:wave:several pictures of Bat (http://members.tripod.com/ecv45/bat.html)

JayD
11-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey, Dave--the eyeball is a sphere of course--so is the bowler BatHat and his heas is actual a combination of two spheres. You are definitely on the right track... I hope you continue explore the Bat trail--he is a very interesting character and is worthy of artistic interpretation.

JayD
11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey, Blah--I don't recall Bat being at OK Corral--that would be The Earp and Clanton boys along with Doc Holiday. Bat was a deputy Sherrif and later became a sportswriter. He was one of the few men who received Ned Buntline's Buntline special .45 pistol. A specially commissioned piece that was noted for its strangely long barrel. He was one of the few gunslingers to survive the oldl American west.

idcrisis55
11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
As Judi said, "everbody's cooking'". This thread is moving so fast it is hard to keep up (and difficult to type with a cat in my lap) :D

Judi, I don't think I answered this but here goes. My sister will never be well as she has COPD and my mother has Macular Degeneration. So both of them have something to cope with that is at times heartbreaking to see. Overall somedays are better than others. They are the kind of people that never complain or feel sorry for themselves which makes them even more special in my book. Thank you for asking!

I'm not actually saying much about what could be wrong in a drawing as you can tell from my posts. My fear is I will actually suggest something wrong so I am looking at the positive things in all the drawings because I think everyone is coming along very fast and doing very well.

Mary how wonderful that you can do that free hand. I started the key drawing from Class 4 this morning and have already had to erase a lot :)

Hi Sabine, welcome to class :wave:

Dave you are moving right along. I liked your webcam. It reminded me of an eyeball with you know the iris and the pupil but I knew it wasn't, just my imagination having a play :).

In my "cheering on" phase, saying good job you all.

Since this is Thanksgiving week in the U.S. a lot of my time (and I'm sure yours) will be taken with preparing for it. So will try to draw a bit everyday (that is the goal I've set for myself) and post.

Later y'all,
Ann

Jet
11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Excerpt from this link (http://members.aol.com/Gibson0817/bat.htm)
In January 1879, Bat was appointed U.S. deputy marshal. He was involved in the famous war between the railroads Denver & Rio Grande and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe for the rights to build to Deadwood. Bat and his posses protected crews of both railroads from being killed in shootouts.

That fall he lost his bid for re-election. This was due in large part to accusations by a newspaper editor that he was crooked. So in 1880, he made a living at cards and faro. He spent some time at the boom town of Leadville, Colorado. From there he went to Tombstone, where he dealt faro. He also helped Wyatt Earp take care of a few problems. He left just before the O.K. Corral incident.

Regards

JayD
11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Yup...that's Bat. :)

bjcpaints
11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
OMG Its only Tuesday and I had to catch up on all the posts in this new lesson thread! Wow - I wish I had time to comment on everyones individual posts. I do have some drawings to post - some will go back to the last lesson and some here. I will continue to participate, badly at best, until I have time to focus and participate goodly :D This coming from an upstate New Yorker with NO accent. I ony have Thursday off and will be spending it cooking and wating on the in-laws so I won't be able to post drawings till Saturday - hope to have more by then.
Barbara
ps I absolutely LOVE Garfield :cat:

Subway
11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that goofy looking craft which is the next to last exercise piece the time travel machine from the movie made in the 1960's movie from H.G. Wells' story?

Judi1957
11-23-2004, 12:37 PM
I was wondering who Bat was. Thanks for the info.

As for Bat's reference pic, the lower part of his ear is pretty vague. I've done some playing around with it in PSP8 and can't seem to get the detail. I'm going to use my husbands ear.... he is sure not using it. LOL

JayD
11-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Subs: You are correct! It's the Time Machine--do any of you Moorlock wannabes DARE take it on! :evil:

Judi: Now THAT'S using your head....er....your husband's :evil:

bjcpaints
11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
"So in 1880, he made a living at cards and faro. He spent some time at the boom town of Leadville, Colorado. From there he went to Tombstone, where he dealt faro."
For others who did not know what faro is (I sure didn't).

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=faro&x=18&y=20

I hope this link works. Isn't it nice to get a little history with our drawing lesson?
Barbara

mhimeswc
11-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Great drawings everyone.

I'm cleaning instead of drawing, and if you knew me you would know this is an unusual occurrance. I'm expecting my daughter, son-in-law, and their three kids tonight around midnight, and the place is still a mess. They will be staying with me for a week after Thanksgiving, so I can't promise any drawings for a while, unless I get done early tonight. I will try to catch up after they all leave.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Michelle

JayD
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Happy thankgiving Michelle and everyone from Jay, Jan, Jen & Bailey. :wave: :wave: :wave:

g7i7n7a
11-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Jayd, :wave:
do you mind if I ask, How long have you been drawing?
Is it your first love, or do you favour another medium?

Hope I'm not being nosey. :D
gina
ps Is that a selfportrait icon, up there, by your name? :)

JayD
11-23-2004, 05:56 PM
You would never know by my postings lately but I have been drawing since my teens--I used to copy EC and Warren comic art---so off and on about 34 years. I am not as good as I should be as I gave drawing a rest for quite some time. I have a degree in theatre so I have a design and art background and an expired cosmotology license. I have always drawn as far as doodling

Drawing is a first love but I got hooked on watercolor and pen and ink many years ago and right now I am exploring colored pencil-- You are certainly not being nosey? :)

Metier
11-23-2004, 08:56 PM
I tried several MM guys but they were all coming out sinister looking. Finally I figured out that I was splitting the eyes apart instead of them touching. He still is not the happiest MM guy but better.

Judi1957
11-23-2004, 08:58 PM
JayD,

It won't be until I post till I see most that is to be corrected. For some reason, once it is here, most things jump out at you. I do believe I need to deepen the shadowing. I think also my Batman is a tad too thin, maybe even too long.

Judi1957
11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I hope all a good Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends!!!!

GOBBLE-GOBBLE!!!!

JayD
11-23-2004, 09:27 PM
Gina, the icon is a portrait that I did of my daughter, Jen (Jennifer)--I have made a literal career out of drawing her and her little dog too (Bailey)--I look like her with glasses and a moustache--my hair is black rapidly turning white which seems to happen to Donovans in their mid 40's.

Judi, that is a spectacular Bat--you might want to work on values but overall--very good job! :clap: :clap:

Meteir--your M&M's don't look sinister--they look like they crave lasagna! They have Garfield look to them. I like the poses though--not bad--looks like you had a problem with the watch. Bear in mind when you try these again or any object that these guys and the watch are each a piece of a sphere. Try sketching out your sphere and mark for depth--THEN proceed to work in your object using the whole sphere as a guide. See if that works for you. All in all a good effort. :clap: OH!!! before I forget--the eye is wondrous. It looks like you did a sort of wash--outstanding! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
11-23-2004, 09:39 PM
JayD,
Thanks for the comment. I do have some values to work on.

I see you are dabbling in colored pencils. Aren't they great!! Will you be posting something soon? I would like to see.

Deb Leger
11-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Jay et al

I'm blown away by the progress and speed of everyone and I feel like a real turtle for sure now!

I have a question. I've been sitting here, very diligently working on balls, balls, balls and need to know this answer before it'll make sense. In 'the' book, de Reyna says to add an elipse to add depth, for example with the egg. You say to do the same with your egg, too. de Reyna also suggests this with the apple and orange also.

I can understand that with the nuts, the elipse would indicate the "lines that divides the nut into two halves" (whatever it would be called!). So, you would put the elipse there for that purpose, right?

I understand that in a teacup, the elipse would be the top of the teacup.

But on solid, smooth things like eggs, apples, oranges, etc, why put this elipse? It indicates depth, yes, but only for as long as you have it there before you erase it to do the final drawing. Right?

Are you supposed to leave it there and draw shading around it to create shape? Does it indicate to you where you should be putting the shading or shaping lines? (Not the intense shading of lighting but rather a lighter shading of shape?)

As you can probably tell from the many questions on the one rather mundane subject, I've been thinking of this ALL day at work and the curiosity is killing me. I used to drive my Dad 'round the bend with all my "why" questions. :evil: Guess I'm just one of those people who NEED to know the answers to the why's to fully understand. :evil: :D :evil:

JayD
11-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Actually, the barn in the cube section was sketched in colored pencil and graphite. I am not quite ready to go all Kullberg (although I am a member of her site)--I am discovering that there are a huge amount of different techniques and styles--OH, the pitcher that was in one of the excercises was a circulist technique that Maggie Toole developed and if you check my threads, I did a portrait of Jen OH and that key that you guys have been practicing on is one of my colored pencil drawings. Here is a portrait of my daughter, Jen--the technique is called circulism--basically the entire picture is made of of circles of various sizes--HENCE--I can post it in the spheres class:

JayD
11-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Deb, I avoided deliberately the use of the word "ellipse" in that context because I had the same reaction. I think what he is saying is that a sphere is not flat--it has 3 dimensionality and depth--think of the ellipse as a represention of the the other walls that make up the sphere or as supports holding the sphere together like ribbings.

Metier
11-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Meteir- OH!!! before I forget--the eye is wondrous. It looks like you did a sort of wash--outstanding! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the review. The "wash" was purely accidental as I don't even know what it is. From what I have seen, I expect to learn in one of these lessons.

Deb Leger
11-23-2004, 10:17 PM
Wow, great protrait Jay! (And here I thought those were your freckles in your avatar!) I had originally thought, while drawing it, that the jug had been done in a kind of oil painting. Very nice!!

Okay, thanks for the response. I'll just use the elipses as reminders then that what I'm drawing is not a flat disc.

Wishing all the Americans a great Thanksgiving!!! (Us Canucks had our's in October. :wink2: )

Deb

Notice the maple leaf on this?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Nov-2004/11775-pumpkin_pie.jpg

sultry
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Jay that is a beautiful portrait of Jen.

And everyone has really done a great job with the spheres here I see. :)

Good thing we all did our assignments early in the week cuz I am not sure if we all will be able to complete due to the holiday.

Well wishing Everyone a Happy Thanks Giving also, and submitting a festive assignment to you.

The M & M s and the dispenser :D

Oh, Jay the drawing was too big for my scanner so I scanned it in half.

JayD
11-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Deb & Company--thanks for the well wishes for our Thanksgiving. Turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie(made from a sphere)..yummmmmmmm. :cat:

Jen is the original freckle monster--she gets that from her Danish mother--OH, never refer to your Danish significant other as a "Great" Dane--not a safe comment.

Sultry, great job on the dispenser--what are the what rings that seems to be surrounding our candalicious friends? I really like the hands and the pose--there is a lot to take in with this picture isn't there?

Judi1957
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
JayD,
You did a great job on Jen! She is certainly a doll baby! Freckles are adorable.
I swear I've seen your pic before, had you had posted it before?? I just don't remember the circulism, but the memory does waver at times. Did you find that to be more difficult than layering CP? Never tried it B4.

Metier, Lasagna craving M & M's!!! Our teacher certainly has quite an imagination :D , huh?. You did a good job on this. :clap: :clap:

Deb, Good question about the ellipses. I never even gave it a second thought. Yum-Yum-Yummy nice pie :D . Thanks for the good holiday wishes. I did not know Canadians had a Thanksgiving. What is your's based on, as ours is the Pilgrims?

Sultry, I really like your dispenser! The expressions are great, especially the one on the left. :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
11-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Some basics I did tonight. Tomorrow, the M & M and then I really want to draw my teapot and cup with jasmine tea.

Some practice circles to warm up, lots of 'em:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-practice_circles.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-egg.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-egg2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-egg3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-nut.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/11775-teacup.jpg

Deb Leger
11-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the good holiday wishes. I did not know Canadians had a Thanksgiving. What is your's based on, as ours is the Pilgrims?

Hi Judi,

Some tidbits on Canadian Thanksgiving:
"Ever since the very first harvest, about 2,000 years ago, people have given thanks for a prosperous bounty. The first formal Canadian Thanksgiving was held just over 40 years prior to the pilgrims landing in Massachusetts. An English explorer named Martin Frobisher had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did not succeed but he did establish a settlement in Northern America and he did celebrate a harvest feast. This is considered the first Canadian Thanksgiving."

"In 1957, Parliament announced that on the second Monday in October that Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

"The reason that we celebrate thanksgiving earlier than the U.S. is because we are further north and we reap the harvest much earlier."

With all this talk about pumpkin pie, guess what I'm going to bake this weekend? :)

Deb

Deb Leger
11-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Jen is the original freckle monster--she gets that from her Danish mother--OH, never refer to your Danish significant other as a "Great" Dane--not a safe comment.

:eek: You wouldn't! :eek:

:D

Jet
11-24-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi Jay et al
I have a question. ~/ In 'the' book, de Reyna says to add an elipse to add depth, for example with the egg. You say to do the same with your egg, too. de Reyna also suggests this with the apple and orange also.

I can understand that with the nuts, the elipse would indicate the "lines that divides the nut into two halves" (whatever it would be called!). So, you would put the elipse there for that purpose, right?

But on solid, smooth things like eggs, apples, oranges, etc, why put this elipse? It indicates depth, yes, but only for as long as you have it there before you erase it to do the final drawing. Right?

Are you supposed to leave it there and draw shading around it to create shape? Does it indicate to you where you should be putting the shading or shaping lines? (Not the intense shading of lighting but rather a lighter shading of shape?)
/~/Guess I'm just one of those people who NEED to know the answers to the why's to fully understand. :evil: :D :evil:

Deb,
The purpose of drawing an ellipse is the same as when drawing the whole cube or pyramid..These are auxiliary lines, good for helping our minds get into the 3D dynamics.
Thinking 3D all the time helps greatly to drawing better shading and perspective, as doing otherwise, (many times) gives as result, flat (looking) drawings...

*Those lines are to be erased when shading is applied....

Hope my words make sense...:rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Regards

mothsailor
11-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Deb: I love your "basics", especially the nut which looks good enough to eat!

Sultry: Great job on the dispenser. I've been struggling with that picture. Maybe now I've seen how you handled it I'll have another go.

Judi: That's a great Bat! Could I ask how big it is? I think I tend to make my drawings too small, on the theory that the mistakes will be less obvious that way!

Let me add my good wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving to all my American classmates! Look forward to seeing some drawings of turkeys, which are, after all, modified spheres! (Or is that the people after they've finished eating Thanksgiving dinner!! :) )

Blah
11-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Hey, Blah--I don't recall Bat being at OK Corral--that would be The Earp and Clanton boys along with Doc Holiday. Bat was a deputy Sherrif and later became a sportswriter. He was one of the few men who received Ned Buntline's Buntline special .45 pistol. A specially commissioned piece that was noted for its strangely long barrel. He was one of the few gunslingers to survive the oldl American west.

Jay, as usual you are right. I confused him with Doc Holliday.

Blah

Blah
11-24-2004, 05:24 AM
I'm not actually saying much about what could be wrong in a drawing as you can tell from my posts. My fear is I will actually suggest something wrong so I am looking at the positive things in all the drawings because I think everyone is coming along very fast and doing very well.
Ann

I am doing just the opposite in this thread, whenever I can, as you would have probably noticed.

My reasoning is that we are here to learn and it is too much work for Jay and Jet to comment critically on each drawing (though they are doing a fine job). So, at least for now when I am not yet out of my depth, I try to point out what I see.

If my observations are wrong I am sure there are others, more competent than I am, who will correct me and ensure that wrong advice is not taken.

Blah

rangerette
11-24-2004, 06:00 AM
thanks jet and dave (mothsailor) - for the bat masterson links, he sounds like my kind of man :evil: - off to watch 'deadwood' now - hubba hubba

-tracy

L2isa2
11-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi Everyone,

There am I busy shoring up the house against the usual winter freeze and you are all, drawing away !! Excellent work and all so fast :D

Well I managed a 10 minute doodle of the M&Ms and started having ago at good old Bat :D Does he look like Bat ? Oh and I also had a crazy sleepless night and doodled some veggies and a couple of birds too !!

C&C Most welcome :D

On the portrait , poor ole Bat looks a bit off but I cannot see where or why :confused:

Regards
Lisa

idcrisis55
11-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Good Morning Jay & Everyone, Wishing you all a safe Thanksgiving full of family, friends and food!

Good eye Metier, and I like the lower M & M guy.

Nicely done drawing of Bat, Judi

Jay, nice work in that portrait of your daughter. That key was excellent. I thought it was a photo :). I've seen that circular motion used by Wet Canvas member, chatfieldstudios.

Hey Deb, we like pumpkin pie in Oklahoma too, hint, hint. (Even with a maple leaf lol) Good drawings Deb. I especially like that nut. You make it look easy.

Sultry, I like your M & M's. A lot of work went in that I can tell.

Hi Blah, you raised a couple of good points about critiquing work :). It is a good way to learn how to give a critique and how to "see". Plus, being helpful to Jay and the other members (hopefully). I do hope someone would let me know when I give wrong information as I'm not always confident that I am seeing correctly. I value your critiques/comments as I do everyone that is willing to offer them.

JayD
11-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Blah--I spent my first three years of college summer vacation--working in a western theme park called Dry Gulch Junction. I picked up a lot of western history there. :)

Judi--circulism is a faster process because you are interlinking circles of various sizes over a colored ground. You STILL have to keep your pencils sharp! :D You should definitely try it. Look at the work of WC member Virginia Tupper (Vltz)--she is wonderful.

To the happy Canadians: People forget that the Pilgrims were actually heading to the Virginia Colony but like so MANY things that have happened in our history (Christopher Columbus did not discover America--he actually sort of BUMPED into it on his way to the East Indies). It is argued down here that the first Thanksgiving in the US actualy occurred in Virginia much like the Russians invented the telephone and the South Americans invented flying.

The importance of the traditional Thanksgiving in the US is more pointed because of its importance to our religious traditions and the fact that that the establishment of the Plymouth Colony was the cornerstone of the foundation not only because of the issue of religious freedom but the foundation of what would become the American Revolution (Cromwell's elimination of the crown led to turmoil that left this particular [The Plymouth colony melded into what became the Massachusetts Bay Colony] free to pursue self government and when the British Crown was re-established, the Mass colony simply did not want to come back to the fold.

Nowdays, we eat turkey and watch football games and generally ignore the historical traditions.

NOW back to the drawin'! :D

JayD
11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Blah--nothing wrong with the way that you or Ann approach you comments. Bottom line: If you want to be an artist then you need to learn to observe and to be open looking at the work of others is the best way to learn. Besides, we are all here to help each other. A community class. :)

Mary Woodul
11-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Good morning everyone! Isee I'm not the only early riser, Ann and JayD. I didn't post anything yesterday because I finished my cabin but I will work on the m&m dispenser today.

Judi- great portrait of Bat and Jet that is good information that is always helpful.

Deb- thank you for asking questions, some of us shy away with the same question in our head. I'd love a piece of your beautiful pie with my morning coffee, that is an eye treat. I like the shading on your drawings.

JayD- you have a beautiful daughter and how lucky she is to have a dad that can draw such nice portraits of her.

Sultry, I love the faces on your m&ms :D

Lisa- I love your drawings but it is too early for me to see anything wrong with Bat, he looks OK to me.

Blah- I think your comments are very helpful together with Anns.

rangerette- thank you for your comments.

See you guys later and wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving. :D

Jet
11-24-2004, 07:54 AM
This forum has been an excellent experience for me, I feel so lucky to have found it right when I was about to fleet from WC for good.... :(

I understand some member's reluctance to express some critics at other members' works and it's something that, when first arriving at this forum, I went through as well.....

I have learned how some people don't take critics very well, and I know I have been through very embarrasing moments when I had pointed some evident flaw at some art piece (at another forum) and hell broke loose big time... :(

It's understandable how we get a bit uncomfortable when people starts finding errors in our works, but it helps a lot, knowing they're talking about our works not about our personality....

A proven successful strategy is, telling first, the flaws and possible solutions
and then, let the artist know the good points we've found in their works, last in the message.

Next, there are some articles that have helped me, and several WC friends too, to take comments lightly and ask for mature, constructive and objective comments from our fellow artists -and ourselves as well- toward other artists' works of art...

Attitude & Self Esteem (http://www.portrait-artist.org/attitude/esteem.html)
Snobs and Cretins (http://www.portrait-artist.org/attitude/snob.html)
Advice for the newbie artist (http://www.portrait-artist.org/attitude/for-newbies.html)
Accept the fact…. (http://www.portrait-artist.org/attitude/accept.html)

Just remember, this forum has its own special dynamics,
with lots of respect to others, and at the same time,
it has ample tolerance for some whacky characters
with twisted sense of humour (as yours truly),
which makes it Seriously Fun !! :clap:

Kind Regards
:)

JayD
11-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Lisa, something about Bat's eyes are bothering me but I can't pinpoint it--I think the phot reference looks deceptively easy. Love the sketches especially the birds (and everybody knows how I love birds--in a freezer :D ).

But this brings up a point--Now we are at a crtical stage--we have cones left and then we move on to putting things toghether but I would like you folks to start looking at living creatures be they insects or goofy dogs like Bailey. I am posting my dog portrait again because I want to point out that when I was drawing Mr.B, I discover that his head is shaped like a lightbulb--a sphere and a cylinder. I would lie all of you to start looking and sketching out some things that are living. Dogs and cats are a good start but remember that ANY animal is fair game! :D Here is Bailey--see if you can locate the "lighbulb"--the cylinder and the sphere:

SILKNSATIN
11-24-2004, 08:12 AM
This is something I did well over a year ago.

sultry
11-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Jay I was trying to get the effect to make them look shiney. I see that it was not the right thing to leave a white ring around them, now that you commented on it (ty for that). I decided to go ahead and darken the edges and leave only a little light ring on some parts of the M&Ms. I also like it better when I blend the bg with a stump.

Yes Jay, this excercise was a great practice for me to create the 3d effect by making my lines all drawn to the shapes of the objects. If you know what I mean. Its hard to put it in words.

If you or anyone else, did not comment or critique my work I would not be able to improve it. So yes I agree with Blah on the need for pointing out the flaws. Because sometimes we cannot see it.

I also agree with Ann too, because when I am told I did a good job on something it also shows me I have expressed what I wanted to show.

So a happy balance of critique is always best I think.

If someone has already pointed out the flaws I will only comment with the good job & well done. :clap:

Ty for all the comments on my M&Ms Ann, Mary, Judi & Dave.

Ann your egg and nut look 3d to me.

Judi you make the cup & saucer look like a photo. Nice eye too.

Wonderful job on Bat Dave.

Hi Bon she is beautiful; I do love your style.

Jay, I used to have a tri color border collie and a sable sheltie like Bailey. You captured Baileys sweet expression from the photo. :)

idcrisis55
11-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Jay and all, thanks for the reassurances and I'm glad that this is a community class. It takes critiques and encouragement to help us grow and to me, critiques are one of the best kinds of encouragement :D.

Jet you raised some good points on how to critique and I'll check out those links too. I think part of my trepidation was being new to the Drawing Forum and just didn't want to step on anyone's toes or seem too presumptious. I always try to start with the positives, then the things in the drawing/painting that disturb me, then reiterate the positives.

Jay, good drawing of Bailey (cool name for a dog). Is he named after Beetle Bailey? To me his nozzle and head make a light bulb, his ears, cones. I also see a light bulb or cone shape in the chest area when looking at the middle photo and his legs are cylinders and his paws are spheres.

Bon, love that drawing. The simplicity of line and values really is attractive.

Sultry I like the additional dark shading. It gives it a more 3D effect. I didn't notice the red tints you have in there and I think it looks cool. That is the drawing I'm starting next. "Bat" intimidates me at this point lol. Thanks for the comments on the egg and nut :)

Lisa, I almost missed your work. Wow 10 minutes on the M & M's. It would take me hours to do just what you did. This is a great quick sketch. You have a good start on Bat as well. The one thing I noticed is the level of his right eye which appears higher than the left one. I haven't checked this against the photo so maybe it is this way. I like the darks you achieved in the shadows cast by his hat. His right cheek looks just a little flat maybe by lifting just a bit of the shading will cause it to round out more. Is that a pea or bean pod on the lower right? It sure looks like it to me and I really like the upper bird.

Deb Leger
11-24-2004, 10:09 AM
This forum has been an excellent experience for me, I feel so lucky to have found it right when I was about to fleet from WC for good.... :(

Just remember, this forum has its own special dynamics,
with lots of respect to others, and at the same time,
it has ample tolerance for some whacky characters
with twisted sense of humour (as yours truly),
which makes it Seriously Fun !! :clap:

Kind Regards
:)

Hi Jet,

I'm glad you didn't leave and I know EXACTLY what you mean. This forum is what is keeping me here too. What I like about it too, is that there doesn't seem to be any cliques and everyone is welcome!!

Thanks, Linkmaster, for those great links. I have to leave for work right now but will comment/catch up later, or on lunch, and will explore these links later.

Jay, Bailey is a beautiful and gentle-looking dog!!!

Gotta run - I'm late for work!

Happy drawing!

Deb

Cathie Jones
11-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Good morning . . . I'm zooming . . . have to get to work. Here's last night's practice - lemons from spheres . . . and some that I painted last year.

Mary Woodul
11-24-2004, 11:16 AM
JET you come up with the most fabulous links, thank you, amigo.

Great drawings since the last four hours ago, that I posted, better get busy again. :wave:

JayD - a big kiss for Bailey.

marilyn h
11-24-2004, 12:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/4759-Buttons.JPG

Button, button, who's got the button.
Colored pencil, on strathmore drawing paper 9 x 12
Going to move onto something else.

SILKNSATIN
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Wow you have alot of patience :clap:

JayD
11-24-2004, 12:29 PM
and that...Marilyn....is why you are a local legend. I hope you are going to show this off int the CP forum. :)

mothsailor
11-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Marilyn: I love those buttons...I never would have thought you could make an interesting picture from a load of buttons, but you've done it. And you've really captured that sheen that they have. I believe you need the patience of a saint to use coloured pencil (and sadly, I'm not a saint!). Is that true?

Jet Those are great links. They make a lot of sense. Naively, I'd assumed that all the forums on WC are as friendly and constructive as this one; shame that's not the case. I guess I've just struck lucky!

Cathie You've done a great job with the lemons. Lovely colour on the painting, too.

Jay Better not let my daughter see Bailey, or there will be more pressure for us to get a dog! Lovely drawing.

We actually have two cats, one of which is called Emma. This is a drawing of her.

JayD
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Sultry, I think your drawing of the M&M's far exceed my expections--there is a cool ethereal quality about the the drawing--it is dreamlike and quirky and humouress and it has style. I like what you have dont with this. To get "shiny" pick out limited spots as points of reflection and make sure that you keep your light source relative to the reflections. Again, a great job.

Hey CJ: I am glad you posted BOTH pictures. I love the sphered lemons-you have done a great job on them but look at the ones you painted last year. The lemons look fine but what throws off your painting is the dish--do you see what I am looking at--our friend, the ellipse. I would like you to create a working sketch of the painting, again for fun, and correct the ellipse and adjust the lemons as spheres. Then post the drawing the painting again and let's see what happens. Again, I am so glad you posted this. :clap:

JayD
11-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Hey Dave: Posting the cat is a good idea. It is a simple shape basically--I have an excercise for you--take THIS picture and break it down into spheres for us. This is the core method for drawing animals but I would like you concentrate on spheres. Do not add detail at this time.

Love your cat by the way--they aren't really accomodating as models are they?

Cathie Jones
11-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes, JayD, I saw the bowl problem after I painted it, but didn't give it a thought this morning. Thanks for the reality check! After this scan was done I added some texture to the lemons (with a sponge and darker yellow) and then matted it so the bowl problem wasn't quite as obvious. Never did go back and do it right - so I'll do it now, at least the drawing part. Don't think I'll paint it again.

It's amazing how much I'm learning from these lessons - I just have to remember to apply it.

Deb Leger
11-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm on my lunch and thought I'd catch up on some email. So, I'll work backwards through the mail 'til I have to go. ;)

Wow, Marilyn, you DO have a lot of patience! Beautiful buttons!

Cathie (CJ), what great lemons, you did an awesome w/c job on them! Love the shine even. Your drawn lemons look juicy, too, especially the inner section - not sure what you'd call it. The flesh of the fruit!!

Ann, I agree with you on Bailey, and the eyes are spheres, too. And what a gorgeous dog! An easy dog to spoil. I think you do a great job on critiques Ann, and you shouldn't worry at all about that. If I could fed-ex you some pie, I would! :D If I made the nut look easy, it's probably 'cause it takes one to know one, so that's probably why I find them kind of familiar. You think? :evil:

And Jet, I haven't seen one thing you've written that anyone could take offence over. You're always very helpful and I, as well as everyone here I'm sure, value your comments. I didn't get chance to reply to your answer last night but it made perfect sense to me! :) (I pasted it into my notes!)

Wow, Sultry, that is one awesome drawing of the M & M couple!

Bon, you do great portraits. I wish I could draw eyes and mouths as well. Very nice.

Jay, you did a wonderful job on Bailey's portrait! I love how you caught all the fur and that nose is awesome! Looks so good, I'm sure it'd be wet if you touched the paper!

Mary, I hope you get some pie this weekend. (I didn't make that pie in the pic, it was one I snagged off google images. But I do have a good recipe for one!) Don't ever be hesitant about asking a question - I always think, when debating on whether or not to ask, if I'm wondering, then so is someone else! (Or so I hope~~~) I once heard that the only silly questions are the ones NOT asked. :D

Jay, ahem! As far as Canadian history goes, it was a Canadian who invented the telephone - Alexander Graham Bell. :evil:

Lisa, your bird is just beautiful!!! And the Bat guy looks good too. When everyone started talking about Bat, I kept thinking I'd missed a picture of Batman! (I'm kind of embarrassed to admit I've never heard of Jay's hero.)

Wouldn't Batman, played by Val Kilmer make a good drawing? Or Michael Keaton, too. Both have such cute mouths!

Blah, I appreciate all your comments too and agree with what you're saying about making them!!!

Dave, thanks. You mentioned about drawing small. I used to also but now always go big. At first I thought it would be more time consuming to draw all the extra stuff due to size but not any more. When getting into the detailed parts, it's easier to correct when it's bigger, too. (And the fact that my arms are "getting a bit shorter" may have swayed me in that direction, too. :wink2: )

Barbara, I hate to say this, but you Upstate New Yorkers have a very distinct accent! :D Where abouts in upstate NY are you? I'm across the St. Lawrence from Massena/Malone in Cornwall. I always find it amazing how, with just the separation of a river, you see a huge difference in speech, eh?

Michelle, hope you got your housework done in time and that your thumb is improving. For anyone not familiar with Michelle's watercolour painting, you'll be blown away by her floral macros!!!!

Metier, what a great eye! On all the commercials I see for M & M's, they're always in trouble, aren't they? So you did them fine!

Wow, Judi, your Bat-man is awesome! You certainly don't have problems with portraits!!! I look at this and am just totally embarrassed by the feeble portrait attempt I did for the pre-class drawing. (I keep thinking how I massacred my friend's good looks!)

OKay, gotta run back to work now. Maybe on break, I'll draw!

Deb

JayD
11-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey, CJ--don't forget to post it so that we can look at it side by side. :)

Blah
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi everyone..

I saw a few posts earlier today that I wanted to respond to but did not find the time then. Will go back to them later. Meanwhile these are the ones I saw just now when I logged on....

Lisa, the birds and vegetables are fine in every respect. The M&M is dark, bold and quick and the total effect is very nice. But I think the spheres are not round enough. the cylinders (arms and legs) are fine. I don't have the Bat reference drawing before me but I think the brim of the hat is wider in it.

Jay your sketch of your dog Bailey is terrific :clap: :clap:

Bon, Wow!!! What more can one say?

Sultry, That is a very nice drawing of the M&Ms. the shapes and proportions are fine, the shading is good, the highlights are correct and effective and the drawing brings out everything in 3D :clap:

Cathie, the watercolour of the lemons, is very pleasing. I did not notice the error in the bowl and had to go back to your post after jay pointed it out. The pencil drawing is fine for the shapes and shading, but I now realise that for many of the participants in this class the pencil drawing is only going to be a step in the process and their actual piece of art may be in another medium. Although aware of this from the start of Basic 101, this point was restated when I saw your pencil drawing first and then the watercolour.

Marilyn...I am speechless. :clap: :clap: :clap: If we had a smiley for a deep bow with arms extended I would upload an array of them. Incidentally how long did it take you to draw this?

Dave, nice sketch of your cat. I am in awe of anyone who can draw fur and feathers well...and also hair.

Blah

Cathie Jones
11-24-2004, 02:09 PM
JayD, I'll re-post, but don't know when. I'm working today and have company from tomorrow until Saturday - maybe I can do it tonight. By the time these lessons are finished, I expect to be able to re-do not only the lemons and the bowl, but the cloth that was under them! :D

Blah, the reason I'm doing these lessons is that I can only paint simple things now because I can't draw the more complicated things. Watercolor is my passion.

Also, about your earlier post on critique, I find the critique in this forum very helpful. For instance, when JayD told me to look at the bowl again, he didn't just say it wasn't right - he told me how to fix it with our friend the elipse. The 'how to fix it' is the part I need, and you don't always get that in the watercolor forum! So, don't stop!

JayD
11-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey, Blah--watercolor tends to be very unforgiving and it is very difficult to try and fix something once you have committed the act. Drawing, as applied to watercolor, is a means of preplanning so that you can anticipate and intervene any potential problems that might occur.

Although I am passionate about pencil, I am trying to correct MY watercolor skills and I also want to become proficient with colored pencil. Drawing can be a paramount issue with both these medias and, although you may be the best CP or WC technician--if your drawing is off the mark in the preplanning stage--your final effort will suffer.

Here is an EXCELLENT book for watercolorist:

Watercolor Troubleshooter by Don Harrison

If you have not heard of this book, I highly reccomend that you check it out. :)

Judi1957
11-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Harrah!!! Four and a half days off!!!!!!!

Well, this is moving so-o-o-o fast, this thread. Have to take notes.

Dave, Bat is approx. 7 1/2"H x 4 1/4" brim to brim. It said in the HTDWYS book in the section for this lesson to draw large to get the pencil swing. Yep, the D & S forum is the friendliest, but there are still some other nice ones. I really am not to familiar with any besides this one, CP, Portraiture and the Critique Center. And they all seem nice to me. And...MEOW..nice!!!! :clap:

Deb, Thanks for the Thanksgiving info, compliment and Mr. Bell!
Michael Keaton...yes sire-e-e-e! :clap:

Blah, All critique is appreciated, bad with the good, that is how we will all improve. If we took offense and paid no heed to what is said, nothing would be improved upon. :D

Lisa, Love your birdie, Bat and the M&M's!!! :clap:

Ann, Sultry and Mary, Thanks for the compliment.

JayD, Bailey is lovely. So nice to have a dog. We had to put ours down two years ago and I miss her and the welcome home from the forever faithful Lucky Dog. :crying:

Bon, you have a great style, always interesting to see what you will come up with next!! :clap:

Jet, The LINK-MAN. I am so glad you didn't leave WC. We appreciate you so much. You have been here in 101 since day one and hope you will continue to be with us!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie, Lovely lemons. Did you take classes for watercolor? Very, very nice!!! :clap: :clap:

Marilyn, Marvy buttons. WOW the patience. Can I ask how long it took you to do all that work? Looks like the inside of my Mom's old button tin. Funny how they used to save all them...I think the majority of them are still there in the tin.

Sutry, Your M & M's are great. M-m-m-m-m chocolate.

I hope everyone is ready for the holidays! Just took the pecan pies out of the oven. Have to wait till tomorrow! :crying: :crying: I'm glad no one is coming to my house, don't have to clean! :D

bjcpaints
11-24-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi, I'm on my lunch and thought I'd catch up on some email. So, I'll work backwards through the mail 'til I have to go. ;)

Barbara, I hate to say this, but you Upstate New Yorkers have a very distinct accent! :D Where abouts in upstate NY are you? I'm across the St. Lawrence from Massena/Malone in Cornwall. I always find it amazing how, with just the separation of a river, you see a huge difference in speech, eh?

Deb

Ha Ha! I knew someone would pick up on that! LOL Hey, Just because I'm not drawing (at work) doesn't mean I don't know when you are talking about me. :wave: LOL I'm in Saratoga County up by the Great Sacandaga Lake, just below the Adirondack Blue Line. People in Albany, where I work (an hour from home) definitely have an accent. AUHBAHNEE :D
Everyone's doing so great here! I am stressed to the max and looking forward to some downtime to unwind and draw.
TTYL
Barbara

sultry
11-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Thank you Jay, I must admit I did not want to do them at all. :(
When I am not inspired by something, it is so hard for me to get to work on it. I realized you wanted us to do them for a reason, so I went ahead and started on it. I surprised myself by finding out that I could do them even though the M&M on the left of my drawing expresses my feelings toward doing it. I did learn and that is why I am in the class. :) Although, I did not sketch everything exactly like the picture because I drew it too big to fit it all. Both M&Ms only have one arm. :D

Cathie I envy your talent in wc the lemons look so nice. I wouldn't mind that painting in my kitchen. ~KAV~ :clap:

Dave I like your kitty. ~KAV~ :clap:

Marilyn I want to learn how to apply cp like you, WoW. ~KAV~ :clap:

Ty Ann, Blah, Deb & Judi for the compliments.

It is a little sad for me because my 19 year old daughter is in Iraq this TG so I am hoping to get a sketch done of her in uniform and her pet ferret done by Xmas....*main reason I am in this class* To do family portraits.

Well anyways, I will stop jabbering & remember .....
Don't Eat Too Much Turkey everyone.....

Cathie Jones
11-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Judi, I did take some watercolor lessons at our local Parks & Rec, but it was quick, easy stuff - mostly landscapes - she never wanted to take more than 20 minutes for a painting. I learned the more detailed stuff the way we're doing it here - posting in the watercolor forum and asking for critiques.

Sultry, that is high praise coming from you, who are such a wonderful artist. If the lemons weren't hanging in my mother's kitchen, they'd be on the way to you as we speak!!! :D

Started re-drawing the lemon bowl at lunch - you wouldn't believe the construction lines it took to get that thing straight. I'll check it in a mirror at home before I put 'spheres' in the bowl. :wink2:

mhimeswc
11-24-2004, 09:13 PM
I dashed these off while the grandkids were taking baths. No time to try again for a straighter scan. The oldest is sleeping in the computer room.

Here are my spheres for today. Lightbulb, beanie-baby bear and apple.

Michelle H.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/20035-spheres.jpg

marilyn h
11-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I have enjoyed all the entires on this thread. It is good to be taking these lessons. I know I have taken so many drawing classes, but you just can't get enough. Practice and seeing how other people interpret. I most rewarding.

Thanks for your comments on the buttons. To answer how long. About 7 hours. Hit and miss moments. Maybe a little less. It isn't done, but I wanted to post before I got tired of it.

Marilyn

JayD
11-24-2004, 10:10 PM
I don't think I see a thing wrong with these Michelle. I would, if you can, try to eliminate the hard edges around the light bulb and the apple--the lines work very well for the beanie baby,which I have a ton of.

idcrisis55
11-25-2004, 12:12 AM
Cathie, I like your lemons, both the drawing and the painting. My mouth is puckering just looking at them :D

Marilyn, this cp drawing is impressive as is. I hope you post it again once you are finished with it.

Dave, I really like your kitty. I think you did well with the markings. I have a cat that looks very similar to this named Rembrandt (yes, named after the artist and the character on the tv series "Sliders" lol). He has that raccoon tail and leopard spots on his stomach.

Deb, I'll just have to settle for remembered taste then lol. This 10 year old told me this eons ago so I'll pass his complement along to you. He said, "You're a nut! Nuts grow on trees, trees are nature and nature is beautiful." It cracked me up hearing that coming from a little boy. So now you know, you're beautiful :)

Michelle, You have the softest touch with a pencil and such fine shading. Nice work on all of these. I especially like the wind up toy.

Attached is my rendition of "the eye". I drew the angle a little less slanted but went ahead and left it that way.

JayD
11-25-2004, 12:36 AM
Ann, that is a beautiful rendition of that eye! It looks moist. The spheres for tears are beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

idcrisis55
11-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks Jay :D You are a night owl tonight!

Ann

JayD
11-25-2004, 02:33 AM
Ann, you have NO idea. :D

g7i7n7a
11-25-2004, 02:59 AM
yes ann,
ditto, on the eye, water droplets look plump and wet. :clap:

:wave: to everyone, happy thanksgiving

Jayd -beautiful, smiley Bailey drawing, and coloured portrait of Jen, must be fun to create art of your loved ones and pet, look forward to be able to do that.
gina
guess jen's glad she didn't inherit the moustache :wink2:

btw - do you know if blue tac is any better than a rubber eraser?

Blah
11-25-2004, 03:44 AM
Michelle and Ann.... excellent drawings, all of them.

Blah

mothsailor
11-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Gina,

Blu Tack is good, have a look at Mike Sibley's (http://www.sibleyfineart.com/) site. He has advice on using it.

L2isa2
11-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi Everyone ,

This class is one speedy gonzalous !!

Brilliant Drawings I love them all :)

Well I have been playing around with good ole Bat again !!

C&C on him would be most appreciated :)

Regards
Lisa

Blah
11-25-2004, 08:14 AM
I did the golf ball yesterday and decided to also post an earlier drawing, along with that, which fits this category.

Blah

Blah
11-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Lisa, your latest drawing of Bat Masterson is really good.

The crown of the hat is three dimensional - you have captured the shape really well - the brim looks proportionate, the eyes are level, the tilt of the head is correct (in your earlier drawing I think it was slightly different) and the nose is better.

Overall I think you have produced a lovely drawing :clap:

Blah

mothsailor
11-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Blah, those drawings are amazing. I love the different textures that you are able to get.

Lisa, I think you're making great progress on Bat...I must have another go at mine. Looking closely at yours, I wonder if the eyes are a bit too wide? The right eye also doesn't seem to be in as much shadow as in the photo. Also, I think his left shoulder slopes down more than you have drawn. Small points, though. I really looks like the man himself! :clap: :clap:

JayD
11-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Lisa, very good Bat in the Hat. :D I wish bowlers were still in style. Overall, excellent job. Double check on the eyes--they look abit Egyptian--when you finish this, it is going to be spectacular.

Blah! The ball is loose and unconfined--Great Job--I can see that you are working hard at this. Also, the hand and the crystal are excellent. I should know--that is MY hand! :D

EVERYONE PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT BLAHS CRYSTAL APPLE AND NOTICE THE WORK ON THE REFLECTIONS.

idcrisis55
11-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Jay, it did surprise me when I saw your post, that you were still up at midnight CST lol. I recall your saying you don't require much sleep, lucky man. My mom and sis are the night owls here and I am early to bed, early to rise but I got so involved in the drawing I didn't want to stop lol.

Gina and Blah, thanks for the comments on the eye :)

Lisa, you did very well drawing "Bat". I love how you rendered the shape of his face and the shading and shadows. Nice textures in the jacket and good work on the folds. I would suggest perhaps deepening the value on his right shoulder where his head and hat cast more of a shadow. The other thing I really like is the light in his eyes, such focus.

Blah, nice golf ball. I like the way you created the form of the knobs by shadowing/shading. Then that hand holding the apple. Wonderful!!! I love the reflections, light and depth you rendered in that apple. :clap: :clap: :clap:

L2isa2
11-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Hello Everyone ,

Thank you so much for your comments om my drawing of Bat, I will have a closer look and do the adjustments you all pointed out :D

BLah, Cool, excellent drawing of JayD's Hand :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD in the reflections of Blah's Crystal Apple , I can see lie a visor/ columns at the top near the stalk, also I noticed a little doggie type face in there too :D Were you out and about when you did this drawing ?

Regards
Lisa

JayD
11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
If you do see a visor its probably because I am rarely without a baseball cap (I own about 20 of them--different colors and unmarked). A dog's face?--well, I was holding the apple in front of my black refrigerator when I photographed the object--are you implying something? :evil: Arf! :D

Blah
11-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Dave, Jay, Ann, and Lisa, thank you for the nice remarks.

Jay's hand holding the crystal apple was drawn a few months ago. I remember having a very tough time coping with the reflections.

On the golf ball I made a special effort to stay loose (Jay's instruction) which is not my normal way of drawing.

The watch, which I am posting now, took about 2 hours today. I started on it after my last post and then broke in between for dinner and some tv viewing.

Blah

JayD
11-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Blah, for you, going AGAINST your style is just the ticket--the looseness in your drawing is really paying off. I think you are generally the master of all you survey and going against type will open some more expressive doors for you. What I like about your watch is the textural effect of that flag in the background. That is a great background and you have certainly taken advantage of its presence. You have also taken the time of account for what is being reflected. Reflections are not about just light or shapes--they are scenes in themselves bounced right back at you. You have acomplished this nicely.

marilyn h
11-25-2004, 01:28 PM
Blah, this is nice. A bit more values and it will be perfect.

Jet
11-25-2004, 01:53 PM
JayD, and The Gang...
I took this photograph today thinking it might be useful on this thread...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2004/27782-Flowervase-tn.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Nov-2004/27782-Flowervase.jpg)

Regards :wave:

g7i7n7a
11-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Dave, thanks. I believe that is the site that recommend it. I will order some, I'm not happy with the results I'm getting with the rubber one. (probably doing it wrong).

Marilyn, Bravo :clap: on the buttons. ( I just keep looking at them and run, screaming, from the room, .)

very nicely done.

Jayd, also, enjoyed(what I can see) of your pencil portrait of Jen, you seem to have captured so much with just subtle markings. :clap:

gina

idcrisis55
11-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Blah, some of the things I enjoy about your work is your ability with the lines, hatching and cross-hatching, using the directional flow of the subject to dictate direction. You did a fine job on the watch and the background. I like the flag reflections very much. The one suggestion I have is to check the stem perspective at its base. The part that has the kind of squiggly lines in it as it looks kind of like the stem is bent just a tad.

You caught that shining gleam of the watch very well and again very nice work.

mothsailor
11-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Here's my attempt at the watch.

Blah, I really like yours. Wonderful contrast in textures. :clap: :clap:

g7i7n7a
11-25-2004, 09:47 PM
feeble offering :(

Mary Woodul
11-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone!. I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and Sultry I kept your daughter in my prayers today.

Cathie- those limes look good, the sliced part is cool.

Marilyn - couldn't believe it when I saw your drawing. That really is outstanding. You even gave them the pearl look.

Dave - your cat is cuddly and your watch is keen.

Michelle- those are awesome shperes. The screw on your lightbulb, is so well done.

Ann - your eye is dazzling and I love the wayyou shade.

Lisa - that is an outstanding portrait and a very intense gaze.

Blah - what can I tell you, your work is remarkable, your detail on the golf ball is a masterpiece and the watch has a shine that is an eye treat.

Jet - that is a very nice object to draw, it covers almost everything we have seen. It will be good exercise.

Thank you guys for the comments on my drawings and here is my m&m dispenser. It took much longer than I expected. 3 hours :eek:

JayD
11-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Gina, not as bad as you think. First, I like the sketchy quality of the body and the bowler but for some reason you really tightened up when you got to the face--you can really see it here and you have corralled in the face with those hard lines. Try to keep your style a constant throughout the entire drawing. Always strive for continuity. It is a very good effort so no frowns for you, young lady.

Also, a quick tip for everyone: keep a slip cover or a drafting brush handy to keep your hands OFF the drawing so that you do not smudge it.

Mary, A full M&M Drawing--very nice--work up the values a bit but otherwise outstanding rendering.

Judi--Blah has great control--I'm trying to turn him into a penciling butterfly--study his technique though because he is going to be a great artist.

AFTER THE CONE EXCERCISE NEXT WEEK WE ARE GOING TO START PUTTING THINGS TOGETHER EXCEPT WE WILL ALSO START DOING VARIATIONS ON THE THEME--AND THAT IS EVERYTIME THAT YOU COPY A PICTURE FROM A PHOTO OR LIVE I WILL WANT YOU TO ALWAYS ALTER IT IN SOME WAY USING YOUR IMAGINATION--EVEN WITH THE STILL LIFE.

Hey Dave--I like yours too--it has a used look to it--as if constantly handled.

Now, I have a question for everyone: how often in the course of a drawing do you suppose that you resharpen your pencils?

Jet
11-26-2004, 01:52 AM
Now, I have a question for everyone: how often in the course of a drawing do you suppose that you resharpen your pencils?
As soon as it looses its sharp, spikey tip. (?).. :wink2:

Thanks Mary..That's what i thought too...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/27782-Still-life-niche-tn.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/27782-Still-life-niche.jpg)

Happy Drawings !! :wave:

Deb Leger
11-26-2004, 02:50 AM
Two I finished tonight. Drawing water drops just is not my forte!!! :D Heck of a big difference from painting them. (And I took some of the mascara off. :evil: ) The lower lashes are too short though, aren't they? The first time I drew the lower lashes, I had to erase them all, 'cause it looked like there was a caterpillar laying there. :D I've never drawn an eye so realistically though! Doing it out as the several different spheres first though really helped!

The M & M's are not together. As often happens, I started drawing one, worked on it for a while, then realized I'd ran out of room to include the second one where I wanted it. I need to sketch out *everything* first! :( So, rather than start over, since I already had the red guy almost done, I just put Miss Green lower down. I have a hard time adjusting my shading to show the different colours, though.

Both were done on an 11 x 14 sketch book sheet. The M & M's took up the entire sheet. The eye took about 1/2. I like to draw big! :evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/11775-eye3.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/11775-mm.JPG

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 04:07 AM

I use mechanical pencils mostly, so they don't need sharpening. That's why I use them, really.

JayD
11-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Jet,

Point is (pardon the pun):

1. try to keep your pencils sharp.

2. ROTATE your pencil as you draw--it will lenghten the time the pencil stays sharp.

JayD
11-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Deb the M's look good--did you use the sphere to draw these guys--did you run into any cylinders along the way? Did you run into any problems with perspective (ie forshortening...)

Regarding the eye. I think water droplets are a bear too but they are rewarding to do. Outstanding work on the eye. I was pleasantly surprised to see everyone going after this subject--it is a perfect example of spheres. I would not worry about he mascara--altering it removed the "copied" feel and you want to make this your own as much as possible. I agree with you about the lashes though. :)

L2isa2
11-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi JayD,

In regards to sharpening pencils:-

I only ever sharpen ,when I come to the realisation that the wood of the pencil is scoring/ripping the paper then the pencil gets to see the sharpener !

A question, if you have to keep your pencils sharp very sharp all the time , don't you find you are having to buy new pencils to replace the old one ?
it then becomes very expensive doesn't it ?

So apart from rotating the pencil to slow the blunting of the pencil , what else can be done ?

Sorry having one of those really dense days today !!

Regards
Lisa

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 08:37 AM
A question, if you have to keep your pencils sharp very sharp all the time , don't you find you are having to buy new pencils to replace the old one ? it then becomes very expensive doesn't it ?

You can get pencil extenders so you can keep on using pencils even when they get very short, so they last longer. But isn't using mechanical pencils a better option? It also means that the "feel" of the pencil in your hand doesn't keep changing as it gets shorter with sharpening. Having said that, I think regular pencils are better when you want to shade with the side of the lead. Are there any other disadvantages to mechanicals? I've never tried using clutch pencils, which have thicker leads, so might be better for shading. Has anyone? I imagine these have to be sharpened, but I'm not sure.

idcrisis55
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Dave, nice work on the watch. I like the textures and the values as well as how well you did on the shapes.

Gina, good work on your drawing. I like the shading and the values on the hat, and the shape of his face. I also noticed that you caught the distance from the hairline to the edge of his eye which gives the face a sense of depth.

Mary, I like your M & M drawing a lot. The M & M's have a good fullness of depth. Nice shading too. And thanks for the comments on the eye drawing.

Deb, I see you've been busy too. Nice work on the M & M's and a great eye drawing!

I use sandpaper to sharpen the tip of my regular drawing pencils and save the graphite or charcoal then to use with a brush or a q-tip. I use a razorblade and shave off the wood around the lead so the lead is at least 1" to 2". Then I rotate the pencil in my hand while sanding the lead. It is a way that the teacher I mentioned previously taught us. The worst part is when the lead breaks off and I have to start over with the saving of the wood but that teaches me to watch the amount of pressure I'm using with shaving and sanding. I've attached a photo of a charcoal pencil done this way.

Also, I've attached the M & M's as far as I have gotten them. It is only an unfinished line drawing as I haven't had any time to work on them.

idcrisis55
11-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Dave I like those extenders too but what is a "clutch pencil". Does anyone use the "woodless" pencils?

L2isa2
11-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi Mothsailor,

I think any medium or variations of the same medium has its advantages as well as its disadvantages, to my mind , everyone has to find the medium and its variation (or combination of ) that suits them and their particular needs for a particular painting /drawing .

Now I have had time to dwell on the subject of sharpening pencils constantly, there are various methods of doing such , which one or combination of I have no idea .

there are handpencil sharpeners, electric pencil sharpeners, knife/razor blade, sandpaper, rotation of the lead, grind stone, those sharpeners that they used in school attached to the side of the desk, and you turned a handle !! (have not seen one of those for years hmmmmm !!!)

Well, maybe some one has an answer or is the answer the same as the discovering which medium and it variation is good for them .

regards
Lisa

L2isa2
11-26-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi Idcrisis55,

Woodless Pencil ? Clutch pencil ?

heard the words but never used them or seen them :o !!

Will have to go to the store and spend some time there looking for these :evil:

Something NEW to think on and experiment with :D

Thank you
Regards
lisa

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Dave I like those extenders too but what is a "clutch pencil". Does anyone use the "woodless" pencils?

Here is a picture of clutch pencils. They hold a single long, thick lead, unlike mechanical pencils, which hold short, thin leads.

I have a woodless pencil, which I sometimes use for shading. Also use graphite blocks for that too when there are big areas to shade.

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Oops, forgot the picture...

L2isa2
11-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Mothsailor,

They remind me of a pen !!!

Thank you for the photo Appreciate it :D
I have pic in my mind now of what to look for when I go to the store :D

Regards
lisa

JayD
11-26-2004, 09:38 AM
We used those for drafting lighting plots--there is a very strange pencil called a "shorty" which is a clutch pencil and it takes a thick lead. Has anyone seen it. I am not fond of them because they are a bear to keep sharp no matter what the manufacturer says.

My question has no right or wrong answer--just plain old Socratic Dialog. You have to find your comfort zone.

Ann, no offense to the teacher but sharpening a pencil and removing that much wood would seem to me to weaken the support resulting in wasted pencil.

Woodless pencils are neat, Lisa--I have a set of Monolith Pencils that I like from CretaColor.

Pencil extenders--YUP--I use them on colored pencils all the time. Here is a weird tip: Once you get the pencil beyond sharpening short--glue to the end of a good pencil and continue on your merry way.

I have also posted an example of mechanical pencil and of an electric eraser-I use the Sakura electric eraser and the Sanford PhD Mechanical pencil when I draw.

Deb Leger
11-26-2004, 10:00 AM
JayD, thanks for the reply on the drawings.

I've got to leave for work in five minutes so tonight, I'm going to get caught up with replies and comments on the great stuff being posted. I meant to last night, but got lost in drawing. :D

Regarding pencils. I sharpen mine when the wood starts to scratch the paper! :evil: I like to have a couple already sharpened though, because once I'm lost in drawing, I just hate resurfacing to sharpen them. :D

I've attached the pencils I use.

A woodless one (the thin grayish one) - it's all lead encased in a light plastic coating. I love it! You don't need to sharpen it as much and it's great for shading. And when you do sharpen it, you can get a good point and use a regular shapener.

A graphite stick (the chunky one) - I like it too, but not as much as the woodless one. It doesn't get a good point but it's awesome for shading (large areas) and is great when just starting on a big sheet of paper. It moves on the paper like a hot knife through soft butter! Real smooth. (Have to use sandpaper to sharpen it though.)

A regular staedler pencil.

I almost always draw in the underhand way, rarely do I have the pencil in the writing position. But wouldn't the mechanical pencils be a bit difficult to use in that position, or for shading? That's why I don't have one, that's what I always thought.

I want to get an electric sharpener. I hear you can do some great lifting of watercolour paint with them too.

Gotta run!

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/11775-Untitled1.jpg

JayD
11-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Lisa, art is about sacrifice. I bought these beautiful oil based colored pencils and did not use them for so months because they were so pretty and proper and in order sitting there in their tin. Fact is, I have to draw and someone or something got to die when I do it. Not being inclined to commit homicide, the pencils have to go. Naturally, there is NO way to avoid losing your pencil and they DO become like friends sometimes short of resorting to mechanical pencils. There are pros and cons to both--it is a journey that you must complete. We can tell you what we like but we can not and definitely should not tell you what to use.

I use a mixture of pencils because I may want effects that I can't get for a mechanical pencil--likewise, I can spend more time drawing with a mechanical and when I run out of pencil--I keep the pencil and replace the lead.

There is an artist in France who works ONLY in black colored pencils. Before she starts, she will sharpen up to 99 or more pencils just so she can work uninterrupted. a little extreme for my taste but obviously the point of sharpness is clearly punctuated by this woman' work habit.

Sometimes you want a dull point to achieve certain effects or to cover a greater area or what ever. I generally keep some sharp and some medium and some dull. Does save time.

Judi1957
11-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Morning Everyone,

Hope everyone had a good holiday!!!!

Ann, great eye!!

Lisa, great Bat!

Blah, great golf ball, apple and pocketwatch. Noticed your linework abiity a class or so ago. WOW, I am truly in awe over your pocketwatch background, as everyone is! Fabulous!!!!! Can definatley see you took 2 hours with this, BRAVO!
Agree with you JayD, Blah HAS IT!

Sharpen pencil time? When I use the mech pencil, naturally never.
Being a draftsperson at one time, I remember "a good draftsperson rotates his/her pencil" Never forgot that one.
I have been trying out my woodless Cretacolor Monolith pencils I ordered for Class 18. I really like them a lot and by the time that lesson rolls around, I will have had to order more. Sharpen them just often enough to keep the sharpness for the task at hand. They are pretty dear ($).
Clutch pencil. Mine are sitting in the box and havent been used for many years. Not that I do not like them, just never have touched them for the latest 'trying to be an artist' phase. I had a little sharpener for them but that seems to be lost. The sandpaper paddle will be the tool there.
Colored pencil-OFTEN.
Sketching. sharpen pretty often as needed, depending upon the task/effect.

Well, very meager offerings for this morning as I did not come to class yesterday or spent much time. Just a little practice. Hopefully I will get more done today.
I have vowed not to go out on Black Friday to the Mall!

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I want to get an electric sharpener. I hear you can do some great lifting of watercolour paint with them too.

That must be an interesting technique!! :D

cmwynn
11-26-2004, 10:20 AM
I've been drawing spheres from around the house - except for the snowman. That was a card. We haven't even had frost yet, may not get any snow this year. The turtle is plastic, so he stood still enough for me to draw.
I have a pencil sharpener like the ones in school rooms, with a handle to turn, except that is has a suction cup on the bottom and I can use it on the glass top of my desk.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Nov-2004/29839-Spheresxm.jpg

JayD
Now Dave--just as I decided to keep my mouth shut! :D

L2isa2
Hi JayD,

Thank you , for your insights/comments on the subject of pencils and pencil sharpening I appreciate it. This conversation has given me something to think, research and experiment with!

Having only doodled with a hb, 2b, and 4b pencils I have a long jouney of discovery to make !!

Thank you !!!

Regards
Lisa

JayD
11-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Judi, you have hit upon somthing here--FIRST--good drawings--I especially like the way you squeezed all that color out of a number two pencil! :D Just kidding of course.

Have you been using the Lee Hammond portrait books--these look very familiar.

Here is the point--the nose and the lips are made of of...SPHERES. Construct those geometric occurences first and then build your mouth or nose from there. Look carefully at what Judi has done here. Very good!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Connie, I am glad to hear that you don't keep snowmen in your house. :D and I am glad to see you pop back in. Are you tightening up on your drawings--try loosening up and try to draw from the elbow as much as posible. these are all good choices--love the turtle especially--a good example of spheres in animals---snowmen? and unnatural occurence in a natural setting so to speak. Again, nice work!--Jay

idcrisis55
11-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Lisa, hope you will call me Ann. My user name came about when a company bought out another company and someone else in the other company had the idential user name. It felt like an indentity crisis when I couldn't come up with another name I liked so that is what I used.

I'll have to look for those clutch pencils too just because of the longer lead and will have to try the woodless pencils as well.

Dave thanks for the explanation and the pic of the pencil. That helped to know what to look for and why. Gosh, I'm behind the times as I haven't seen graphite blocks either. I've been looking for the watersoluble graphite but haven't found it yet either.

Jay, I think the reason he taught us that method of sharpening the pencil is so we would learn the amount of pressure to apply. Rather than going heavy we would use light, short strokes, building up the values. That class was over 20 years ago and you know how times change lol. I don't sharpen all my pencils that way but actually I've found that taking the time to sharpen several pencils this way means less time having to sharpen while drawing. Just a rotation or two on the sandpaper brings a nice point after the initial sharpening.

Good tip on gluing the pencil to a longer one. Is there a type of glue that works better than others?

I gather you like the woodless pencils. When do you normally use them? Is there a certain drawing process for which you use them, like shading or thicker strokes???

Judi, wow I like those lips and the noses. Fantastic shine, shape and values. Good shading on the balls too. The round object looks like a coaster and you did great on that as welll. No suggestions from me :D And thanks for the comment on the eye as well.

Connie, I enjoyed your drawings. I've been looking for round things too and I have a frog that might work :)

Thanks all for the info on the pencils and your comments.

Judi1957
11-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Yep JayD and thanks. - Lee Hammond. I thought these were class related, that's why I chose to do them. I do not think Lee compares to Ann K. But there are some very good exercises in Lee's book for sure. I am going to need my sweet hubby to build me a bookcase soon as my library is growing! You should see the desk he built me! It is, as is he, wonderful!

Judi1957
11-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Ann,
I got my water soluable pencils from Dick Blink. Cretacolor Monolith. I ordered the leads as suggested in Class 18 in artgraphical. HB, 2B, 4b and 6B.

mothsailor
11-26-2004, 11:24 AM
All this talk of pencils forced me to get mine out! Unfortunately, I'm too busy to spend much time drawing today, so had to do each of these very quickly!

Judi, those are really good. I never understand how people manage to make things drawn on matt paper look shiny!

Connie: love the turtle. Is that snowman from the Christmas card thread? Looks familiar.

Jet
11-27-2004, 02:44 PM

Debbie, you mean an electric eraser here dear friend... :)

Here's a page with useful info on Pencil-Drawing Tools (http://www.sibleyfineart.com/index.htm?tutorial--pencil-drawing-tools.htm)

Regards

ps.. Clutch pencils ROCK!!

Cathie Jones
11-27-2004, 02:56 PM
We're back! :clap: I hope that somewhere there is a God who truly appreciates what Scott does for us!!!

So - last night I worked more on the lemon sketch. The photo is from the RIL by 'homeindulgences' (thank you!), and the sides are cropped. So, in the painting and the sketch, I extended the sides of the bowl out as an oval. After scanning the sketch this morning, I was comparing it with the photo, and realized that the back would not be as high as it is unless the bowl is round, so I rounded the left and right sides a bit more. I've left most of the 'construction lines' and didn't completely erase some of the changes so you can see what I did. As requested, I'm reposting the painting along with the new pencil sketch, and the photo reference. I this what you wanted, JayD? Critique please . . .

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Debbie, you mean an electric eraser here dear friend... :)

Here's a page with useful info on Pencil-Drawing Tools (http://www.sibleyfineart.com/index.htm?tutorial--pencil-drawing-tools.htm)

Regards

ps.. Clutch pencils ROCK!!

ROTFLOL!! :o Yes, an electric ERASER!!!! After Dave and Jay's comments, it still didn't hit me and as I was trying to figure out their comments, I finally put it down to another of those things that just kinda sails over my head. :D Thanks Jet!

And Dave and Jay ................... :p ( :wink2: )

I'm sure glad we're back up. I hadn't heard about the upgrade and was starting to go into withdrawals over the lack of wet canvas!!!

Thanks for that link Jet, it has some great info.

Tonight is catch up time for comments!

JayD
11-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for posting the reference pick as well. Did you draw the bowl as a sphere and then use an ellipse to bring it to its correct shape. This looks much better then the bowl in your picture. I can see where you really worked hard to get this right--the reference photo isnt as interesting as your drawing because the crop is really bad and it spoils the composition. It doesn't really lead us, as viewers, in any particular direction. Also, you were apparently trying to draw and paint what you saw in the image and the image in the phot is clearly distorted. I think, if you manage to find the time, you should reconsider painting another one of these bowls. You have a very good control with the the brush and an excellent color sense.

Cathie Jones
11-27-2004, 03:54 PM
:o Aw, gee, yer makin' me blush! One day I probably will repaint the lemons. I'm amazed at the difference between the two pictures - and am learning so much here, I know the next one will be much better than the first!

Actually, I started the bowl with an elipse and took the outside front down from that. The lemons were started as spheres.

Judi1957
11-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Now I know I am a WC addict!!!! Longest 2-3 hours...LOL

Cathie, really looking good!!!!

sultry
11-27-2004, 05:27 PM
Gee I missed everybody,

Wow love the drawings that have been put up since I was gone.

Judi, I love your cp face spheres. ~KAV~ & me too judi, only I could not get on this site since yesterday morning. :(

Cathie I agree Scott should be commended and he has done such a wonderful job on this site.

Connie great job on the spheres ~KAV~

Jet I like that statue thingy & ty for the pencil tool link :)

Deb great eye. KAV :clap:

Ann I love the eye ~KAV~ :clap:

Blah Great job on the stop watch ~KAV~ :clap:

Dave nice cat and stop watch ~KAV~ :clap:

Jay I use mechanical pencils. So I am constantly refilling it :)

Here is my drawing of the eye (I changed it by adding more water drops). It took 4 hours with a mechanical F & HB pencil.

& ty for the prayers for Natalie

JayD
11-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I guess refilling a mechanical pencil qualifies as sharpening. :)

Sultry: I am really impressed with the eye but I love the way that you have modified it to make it your own original piece. I have a question--I went back and looked at the phot of the beads below the eyes--and this question is for everyone--what are the beads reflecting--do they have to reflect anything at all? What do you think?

sultry
11-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Jay, thank you this was really fun and about the reflection ( I dunno I do not have good eye sight to see that small). Even with my eye surgery I still have over 40 eye sight for reading lol.

I just really made up my own thing on it (sorry).

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Michelle, love your teddy bear and lightbulb!

Ann, your eye is great! You did an awesome job on those tears!

Lisa, great job on Bat. I'm too chicken to even attempt him! (And Jay, Thank God bowlers are not still in style!)

Blah, your golf ball is awesome! What a job you did on all those indentation thingies!! (I don't play golf so I don't even know if there's a name for them!) And that apple and hand!!! I am in awe of your drawing skills! The pocket watch is wonderful, too. (Hey, I think I see a flag in the reflections on the watch!)

Jay, you asked us to look closely at the reflections in the apple of Blah's drawing. I have trouble seeing things in reflections, I think. I just see blurry shapes. It amazes me that Lisa picked out a baseball cap visor!

Jet, that photo you posted would make a great painting! Can we use it?

Dave, you did a great job on your watch, too. Good reflections and I really like your markings around the outside edge of it.

Gina, not feeble at all. A great sketch of the Bat man! I think you did a great job on his clothing as well as his shape and face and *that* hat.

Mary, your M & M drawing is right on! Very nice!!

Jay, I like how you always want us to put our own individual "thing" in our drawings, rather than copy something, religously sticking to everything in the photo. I've always thought that was important. This course is really getting me to "see" things better, too.

Jay, yes I used spheres to draw the M's. I used smaller spheres to draw their eye shapes too, and some semi-spheres for their mouth shapes. Elipses for the area where their gloves join the arm. But darn, I forgot about the cylinders! Foreshortening is a tough thing. When you ask that is it because the foreshortening looks bad in this one?

Wow, Ann, you sure like your leads long! Don't you find they break a lot like that??

Judi, your noses and lips look great, as well as your spheres! I'm hoping that I get that Cretacolor Monolith pencil set from Daniel Smith at Christmas. (I'll probably end up ordering it, wrapping it and putting a nice tag on it saying From Santa. That's the best way to get what you *really* want!)

Connie, we're both thinking teapots! I'm posting one in a few minutes. Bet that snowman made a great Christmas card! You might not get snow this year? You want some? Let me know and in a few months, I could ship you down lots!

Dave, good sketches, especially that hand. I know what you mean about making something look shiny!

Cathie, again, your lemons look wonderful, especially the new sketch.

Sultry, KAV on your eye, too! That's one awesome job you did on the skin, too - so much texture in it!!!

Okay! Now, I'm caught up!

Deb

JayD
11-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Sulty--sorry for not answering sooner but I had to install a new router for all the computers in the house so everybody could get on line. The spheres look good--but a while back I was working on a drawing that required a reflection and it was pointed out to me that that it had to reflect the sorrounding envionment--well in this case--just what the heck IS the surrounding envionment?

I think in this case you are allowed to run amuck and create your own reflections--FOR FUN. Remember that reflections are the pictures within the picture so whatever inhabits your drawn world is fair game to include in a reflections.

Sorry about your eye surgery--I hope every think is ok--I am up for a diabetes related eye exam this coming week. Just a yearly gig I have to go through.

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 11:01 PM
I have a question--I went back and looked at the phot of the beads below the eyes--and this question is for everyone--what are the beads reflecting--do they have to reflect anything at all? What do you think?

Ummm, is the one on the right reflecting the eyeball itself? OR are they just reflecting the light source, which would be my guess. The light source. (That comes from being a photographer :D )

Deb

sultry
11-27-2004, 11:11 PM
ohhh so making up my reflection is okay then...good.

My laser eye surgery was in 2001 so I am ok. I am just saying I have over 40 eye sight because I had surgery for near-sightedness not for far-sighted. :)

Thank you Deb, hey all I did on the skin was follow the structure of the face with lines....remember the good ole lines. What caused it to look real is that I lifted the pencil to express the light areas and pressed down hard to show the depths. The secret to it is to blend out so no lines show. That is what I learned in this excercise. :)

I am so excited because every class I learn something new. :)

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 11:12 PM
This is a drawing I just finished and want to do in a watercolour painting. I'll call it Tea on a Sunday Morning. :D :D

I've lost count of all the spheres that I used. Did acknowledge and use cylinders this time in the teacups,though, as I did them.

I need lots of lessons on reflections and shading. I made a mess of that reflection on the front, didn't I, the reflection of the handle on the front of the pot?

This teapot is clear glass, as well as the cups. The flower is IN the teapot. In the painting, I'll make sure I put the flower back farther in the liquid. (It's actually a 'teaball', made of stitched up jasmine tea leaves, with a dried jasmine flower stitched inside. When you steep it in boiling water, the leaves all open and it "flowers", leaving you with a delicate jasmine tea that is so pretty to look at as you sip the tea. (I get them at this tiny little tea shop in Montreal that is just such a treat to go into.) (Not sure yet if I'll put a few almond cookies in there and maybe a plant in the background for the painting.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2004/11775-4.JPG

sultry
11-27-2004, 11:16 PM
ohhh Deb that teapot is absolutely beautiful. ~KAV~

Would be a nice pastel painting :)

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 11:19 PM
I am so excited because every class I learn something new. :)

Thanks for the explanation of drawing the skin, Sultry! I learn something in every class too! It's one thing to read about these things in a book, but when Jay goes into it in his lesson, then we all try it out and discuss it, that's when it really kicks in for me!!

So, thanks Jay, you're helping a lot of us to really understand all this!

Deb

Blah
11-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Deb, that is a lovely drawing of a tea set. The pencilwork is exquisite. :clap:

I think shifting the base of the tea-pot so that it is centred below the top of the tea-pot will improve it further.

You could also examine the top of the second cup...I think it is slightly tilted, but that is a very minor thing.

I had keyed in my comments to a whole lot of posts when we (WC) went off about 36 hours ago. Will try and send them again a little while later.

Blah

Blah
11-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Deb and Sultry, thank you both for the nice comments about my drawing.
I did the reflections without knowing what they were...maybe that helped. In fact even after I had finished and posted the watch I thought that the reflection was of an iron (golf club).

Sultry, you have drawn an outstanding eye :clap:

Blah

Deb Leger
11-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks Sultry and Blah!

Blah, I didn't even notice those things but now that you've mentioned them, they stick out like a sore thumb! :D I'll definitely fix those things. Thanks. Funny how we can work so closely at something and never notice something so obvious.

Cathie Jones
11-28-2004, 12:10 AM
Deb, your teapot is gorgeous! And I love the description of the jasmine ball - I love jasmine tea, but have to buy get it in tea bags, no specialty shops like yours here.

I found some spheres, elipses and cylinders in the WDE. Afraid my attempt is amateurish, and I can see some improvements that need to be made, but it's practice . . . and it felt good to dive into something I haven't done before - the WDE.

Judi1957
11-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Evening (Morning, really)..I've been an insomniac for a couple of weeks now.UGH! :(

Sultry, I really like your eye and the subtle linework you created it with! :clap:

Deb, Jasmine tea. Hope it tastes as good as you made it look! :clap: Is it naturally decaffinated?

Hello Blah! :wave:

I wasn't able to detect exact images on the apple either. :crying: Over 40 eyes.

Cathie, Love your terra cotta(?) pots, but can you melt the snow please! I don't care for winter! :clap:

During the Great WC Blackout of 2004, I did a pic from a mail order catalog. It has spheres and cylinders and the 'P' word. A lot needs corrected.
I think it was too big of a challenge at this time but I'll post anyway. Not finished, it's a WIP, which I will finish at another time (or maybe not...we all have those don't we?).

Blah
11-28-2004, 01:21 AM
This thread is growing so fast that it is difficult to keep pace with it. I was responding to a number of posts late on Friday night (in India) when WC went off the internet. Here is what I was trying to post then. My apologies is I have accidentally left out anyone in either my acknowledgements or my comments.

Jay, Marilyn, Dave, Mary, Ann and Judi thank you very much for your nice comments :o

Jay, even after I was more than an hour into my darwing of the watch I thought I was making a hash of it. But then I remembered your advice to someone earlier in this thread on drawing this watch. You had recommended faithfully drawing the darks and lights in their shapes and letting the result take care of itself. That is what I tried to.

Marilyn, I have worked some more on the drawing to increase the values and it definitely looks better. In fact this is one of the areas that I am trying to improve on in my drawing skills.

Ann, you are right. The screw-head was slightly bent in my drawing. I have corected it now. Thanks.

Dave, your body study drawing is nice with several good ellipses, cylinders and sphere. You have carried this over well into the drawing of your hand with nice shading. But you have not done justice to the
m & m. It seems as though you have been in a hurry to finish it.

Connie - nice loose drawings. all of them look good with the turtle in particular looking very cute.

Judi, excellent shading and highlights on all the elements you have posted...and the spheres look absolutely perfect. You have made all of them "pop".

Ann, I could see the Class5MnM shaping up well. Must be over and ready for posting by now.

Deb, the M's and the eye are both very well done. The eye looks particularly nice. One point though, the pupil does not seem to be centred in the iris in your drawing.

Jet, that is a lovely picture (niche) that you have posted. Will definitely attempt it sometime. I managed to download only the b&w version before we were cut off.

Blah

P.S. Cathie, your drawing for the WDE looks good to me. I haven't seen your reference picture, but if the white reperesents snow, then the tops of the pots and other surfaces would all be covered with heaps of snow, as shown in your drawing, and these heaps may not be in any regular geometric shape. In other words your drawing looks to be in correct perspective to me.

Judi, stunning drawing of the clock :clap: You should complete it and post it for all of us to enjoy.

Blah

Jet
11-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Jet I like that statue thingy & ty for the pencil tool link :)

Sultry, Thanks ..I'm glad you liked them.. :)

Jet, that photo you posted would make a great painting! Can we use it?
Deb
Debbie,
Thanks for asking, but any other time, you don't have to ask...
..You all, have open permission to use any of my photographs anytime, and post them at any site, for whatever -pure or obscure- purposes you might think of.. :evil: :angel: :D

Actually this photograph is one that will be included in the 'bundle' i am puttring together for next Dec-24th-04 all-media WDE (I will be hosting), and to which, you're all cordially invited.. :wave:
You can find a larger format version at the WC! Reference Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=27782)

Regards
:wave:
Have Fun (or do something else)

idcrisis55
11-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Being without Wet C. for the last day has made me appreciate it even more. So glad to be back with all of you, you were missed!

Judi, thanks for the info on the watersoluble graphite!

Dave, I enjoyed your quick sketches of your hand, the M & M's & the wooden figure.

Cathie, I like your drawn bowl of lemons a lot. Isn't it great how much we are learning from this class.

Wow Sultry, nice work on that eye. Those lashes look so soft and feathery. What is "KAV"???

Deb, thanks for the comments on the eye drawing. I do like the longer leads and I don't break too many of them anymore. It all comes down to the amount of pressure used when sharpening and when drawing. Most of the time though I just use a pencil sharpener. :D

oooh Deb, nice work on the teapot drawing. The glass looks luminous.

Cathie, I love the snow filled pots and it is good practice :D

Judi, outstanding work on this clock. Wow, this must have taken lots of patience and skill !!!

Blah, you have such a good eye and always enjoy reading your comments as I learn something everytime. I haven't finished the M & M drawing yet :( I have Lupus and it affects my hands and arms, and other areas, and the last two days have been a bear. But I'm on the upside now and hope by tomorrow I can hold a pencil and a paint brush again.

Great work you all :D

mothsailor
11-28-2004, 06:56 AM
And Dave and Jay ................... :p ( :wink2: )

I guess I deserved that! If you haven't already seen it, you might be interested in this thread about lifting watercolour with a proxa brush. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169809&highlight=proxa)

Judi1957
11-28-2004, 10:29 AM
I give up....what is the WDE?

Jet
11-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Judi,
WDE= Weekly Drawing Events at the AMAE (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133) .. :D

Regards

Cathie Jones
11-28-2004, 10:49 AM
I guess I deserved that! If you haven't already seen it, you might be interested in this thread about lifting watercolour with a proxa brush. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169809&highlight=proxa)

Proxa brush works great, but you have to be careful not to damage the paper if the bristles are stiff.

Judi1957
11-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks Jet!

Deb Leger
11-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Cathie, your WDE is great! You've inspired me to try it. Thanks for the comments on the teapot.

Judi, I don't *think* there's any caffeine in the jasmine tea. But don't quote me, k? ;) I think your drawing is awesome!!! Wow! Such detail! I don't think it was too big of a challenge for you - you did an outstanding job!

Dave, I hope you know I was kidding, right? Yes, I've seen that info on the proxa brush and bought one right after reading it. It's very handy!!! Cathie, the bristles are nice and soft. You still have to be careful but it's the best brush I've tried for scrubbing.

Blah, thanks for the heads-up on the iris.

Deb

Deb Leger
11-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Actually this photograph is one that will be included in the 'bundle' i am puttring together for next Dec-24th-04 all-media WDE (I will be hosting), and to which, you're all cordially invited.. :wave:
You can find a larger format version at the WC! Reference Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=27782)

Thanks Jet. I'll be sure to participate in that WDE - love that pic! Another in the RIL link you posted that is awesome is the Old Brick Building.

Deb

Deb Leger
11-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Artists,

That last down-time with Wet Canvas was longer than anticipated and sent up a few red flags. (Such as, what would happen if this extended past Monday? :( Or, even longer? :crying: )

Offlist, I suggested to Jay that I collect a list of email addresses of interested participants, to be able to send out the next class lesson if we're unable to access Wet Canvas. Or info where to find the lesson, participate, etc.

So, with Jay's permission, I'm doing that. Since there are no addresses shown at Wet Canvas, I have to ask that anyone interested in being put on the list to please PM me with your address. The only time it'll be used is in the case of Wet Canvas being down for lessons.

Please don't post your address here, that way keeping it private. Just send me a PM and I'll add you to the list.

For those not sure how to PM, just hold your cursor over my name at the top of this post, click, then left click on "send a private message".

Deb

JayD
11-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Deb, that is an outstanding picture of a pitcher. Regarding the plants in the water--did you account for any effects of distortion since the plants are submerged under the water? I like the glasses too--simple and elegant.

Judi, CJ: The WDE's are a lot of fun--just beware they are mighty addictive.

I have not had a lot of time lately to pursue the WDE or some of my other favorite threads--Fairfax Identity Laboratories has just been acquired by Commonwealth Biotechnologies so I am busy with the startup in a new company. Promises to be exciting, I think.

Judi, that alarm clock is just plain terrific. I would like to see, when you actually get the time, you and deb develop the pitcher and the clock using these pictures as a graphite "grisaille". Basically, spray the pictures with a minimum of, say, three coats of fixative and then color them with colored pencils much the same way that you would do with a black and white photograph. You can save the original by photocopying the image over to a colored ground or a white ground. You two should seriously consider this. You might find this a fun experiment. The technique was pioneered by two artists that come to mind: Monique Passicot and Allen Servoss. Artists well worth checking out.

CJ: Not amateurish at all--the snow is reflective and what you are missing are shadows--think in terms of watercolor as to how you would handle show, for example, maybe the white of the paper and blues. I think you probably developed your values before you were ready to but CJ, honestly, it is a very good effort and I applaude you for going to the WDE. Nice work! Now where is that applause button...oh....here it is.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
11-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, JayD. Yes, I went for values before I looked criticaly at the shapes - there are so many things to remember! I almost always look at the WDE photos and decide there's nothing there that I can do, so this was a huge step forward. And I did search for something that followed the lessons we've been doing . . . those pots were perfect for our last three lessons. And - yes, I would shadow snow with blue or purple (or both) in watercolor, but am not sure how to do that with pencil without it looking like smudge marks - haven't had that lesson yet. ;)

Have to run over there now and see what Deb did. :D

mhimeswc
11-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I just sneaked online for a look at how the class was progressing. Wow! so many drawings! I really liked the buttons, and there were several M&M guys that were really great. I'm going to try them this afternoon. Lots of terrific eyeballs and Bat Mastersons too. I lost track of who did what but you are all doing great.

I will still have my grandkids here for another week. There is no place to draw. There are lego villages all over the house, and it takes a careful tiptoe maneuver to get from one room to another. My two older grandkids are home schooled and have their school books on the kitchen table where I usually draw. The older one, Andrew, age 8 has to make a fresco for his art class, so we now have plaster hardening in a cake tin. :-) Oh, and they brought their science project with them too - three tadpoles that are working on turning into frogs. I hope they remember to take them back with them.

Deb, my thumb/arm/shoulder still hurts from time to time, like when I type a long post like this. And thank you for the compliments on my paintings. I really appreciate that.

Okay, I will try to squeeze a spot in at the table between the schoolbooks, tadpoles and plaster to draw my M&M's. See you all later.

Michelle

JayD
11-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey Michelle, do the tadpoles--spheres with tails, you know. :)

Judi1957
11-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Deb and Blah, Thanks for the compliment.

Ann, Thank you and you're welcome.

Michelle, Sorry to hear you are in pain yet.

JayD, The clock took so-o-o-o long and still needs a couple or more hours to finish in the graphite. I am glad you made the suggestion on the grisaille. Always hear about 'grisaille', but never really understood what it was or should I say how to go about doing it. Having this to do encourages me to finish as I was getting pretty tired of looking at it. Thanks for the idea and compliment.

JayD
11-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Judi, do finish the complete drawing by all means but the grisaille is finished now--on a grisaille you do NOT want a fully completed graphite drawing--instead it should be a third of the intensity of a fully created graphics piece--the reason being that when you apply color over the piece you don't want to muddy the colors. This is called a "Graphite Grisaille"--another way, in CP, would be to do the drawing in black grape, or black OR a combination of Indigo Blue and Tuscan Red. You can also do a grisaille using Ink or watercolor washes. Another way is to do the painting TOTALLY in colors that are complementary to your intended colors--this is called a "Complementary Grisaille".

I favor the graphite grisaille because I am a big Servoss fan but seriously photocopy it to several types of ground and play. :)

mhimeswc
11-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Here's my M&M. I don't know how to stitch in Photoshop, so I did it in Microsoft Picture It. Not the best stitch job but here it is.

I had a lot of trouble with values. That's as dark as I can go with my HB pencil (don't know where my pencil bag is with the 2b's and 4b's right now).

This is my last post for the day. The tip of my thumb is numb and the joint hurts.

The kids' plaster is dry so we are going to paint a "fresco".

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2004/20035-MMStitched.jpg

JayD
11-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Michelle, I hope you feel better. Have you tried a splint. I have to wear one every once in a while when it becomes unbearable for me to type.

Don't worry about the values yet--if you want, hold off until we get to that section and then try your hand at it. Very good drawing though--there is a touch of whimsey her that I like.

mothsailor
11-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Deb, yes I did know you were joking! :)

I had the same idea as Cathie. This is my entry in this week's WDE.

JayD
11-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Dave, I like the pots--are you doing the geometrics first? I am really impressed with the work you did with the grass.

mothsailor
11-28-2004, 06:26 PM
Jay, Thanks! Yes, I do the geometrics first...well, not always, I must admit, but mostly. The hardest one was the pot that is leaning toward the viewer. Not sure how to do the geometrics for that.

JayD
11-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Jay, Thanks! Yes, I do the geometrics first...well, not always, I must admit, but mostly. The hardest one was the pot that is leaning toward the viewer. Not sure how to do the geometrics for that.

It's tricky but the best way I contend with the problem is to simple tilt the paper and draw it as it it is straight. Again, nice work.

Judi1957
11-28-2004, 06:57 PM
JayD,
Sorry Boss but this is all new to me.
Forgive me for being dense :D . But I need to understand what to do for the graphite grisaille. I did a search and came up with a couple walk-thru's, but I would like to review this with you.

1. Make copies and experiment with COLORED PENCIL(?) as to the colors I want to use?

2. Make another graphite drawing to mimic the first for 1/3 tonal value.

3. Use maybe three fixative coats B4 the CP? Layer CP over the new graphite drawing.

Michelle, Nice M & M's, M-m-m-m-m. Hope you are feeling better and are enjoying the grandkids!-teaching them to be artists eh? :wink2:

Cathie Jones
11-28-2004, 07:11 PM
Michelle, I like your M's - they look round!

Dave, you did a great job on that leaning-forward-pot. That's the one I had the most trouble with, and didn't get it right before I started on values. Guess I need to stop worrying about values right now, but it's something I had to work very hard on with watercolor, so now it's hard NOT to do! LOL

Working today, but I hope to get some drawing done tonight . . . maybe the watch. I tried the M's yesterday and got nowhere.

g7i7n7a
11-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
just checking in. We are finishing up renos on our house, hopefully in time for an appraisal this week, so I have not had much time to draw, but I am following the class. You all have done some amazing work this week. :clap: :clap:
It's inspiring to see all the progress everyone is making.
well wishes to all.
looking forward to next class :clap:
gina

btw
[QUOTE=idcrisis55]

What is "KAV"??? :confused:

Metier
11-28-2004, 08:34 PM
Two Thanksgiving drawings. The first is the lights above the table and the second the centerpiece.

So far, the spheres are the toughest to draw without being oblong, flattened, or squished.

JayD
11-28-2004, 11:11 PM
JayD,
Sorry Boss but this is all new to me.
Forgive me for being dense . But I need to understand what to do for the graphite grisaille. I did a search and came up with a couple walk-thru's, but I would like to review this with you.

1. Make copies and experiment with COLORED PENCIL(?) as to the colors I want to use?

2. Make another graphite drawing to mimic the first for 1/3 tonal value.

3. Use maybe three fixative coats B4 the CP? Layer CP over the new graphite drawing.

Judi---1. COPY BEFORE you finish the clock and take it to full values--A grisaille should only be a third of the intensity of a finished full value graphite piece.

2. If you opt to photo copy onto various grounds then you don't need the fixative option.

I think I confused you because I gave you so many variations in one fell swoop. If you decide to do this just drop me an email and I will happily walk you through the process--look also for a book called "Exploring Colored Pencil" by Sandra Angelo McFall--I think that it offers the best and less convoluted explanation of the process.

Metier--I love the lights--Very Hopperesque. The vases need a little work--when you are dealing with objects that are symetrical--start with a center line. That should cleanly fix the problem. By the way, spheres are a bear for me too. :)

Deb Leger
11-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Jay, I made the flower kind of squiggley, is that what you're meaning by distortions? Okay, I'll try that grisaille with coloured pencils. I've done something like that with soft pastels but never coloured pencils. Fixative like Krylon? I'll do a search on those two artists to get an idea. Just read your last instructions to Judi - I think I'll just copy mine, too. I'd have to go searching for the Krylon, I've got a can but haven't used it for about four years. So, I'll scan and copy! :D

Cathie, I started the pots but didn't finish it. I think it's too late now, right? I've been working more at it though and might finish it off tonight.

Michelle, maybe you ought to see about some therapy for your thumb? Tadpoles! I remember so well, each spring, collecting frogs' eggs and hatching tadpoles. And I was, and still am, petrified of frogs! Great M & M's!!!

Dave, great job on the pots! I started them and was really slowed down by the same pot as you mentioned. The awkward angle of that leaning pot really threw me off too.

Gina, KAV means Kool Aid Vantastic. Means it's REAL good-lookin'! Very kewl! :D :D :D

Metier, your lights look great!

Deb

JayD
11-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Well, I use Winsor Newton but Kryolan is excellent too. Remember that if you xerox it, you wont need the fixative unless you are working in cp and then your will need it when you finish.

CLASS 6 ON CONES HAS JUST POSTED. :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
11-29-2004, 04:59 AM
It's tricky but the best way I contend with the problem is to simple tilt the paper and draw it as it it is straight. Again, nice work.

Sorry to be dense, but could you explain a bit more? Which way do you tilt the paper? :confused:

Thanks!

Deb: You can post something to the WDE anytime during the week, so there's still time!

JayD
11-29-2004, 06:19 AM
No problem Dave--back in lesson one when we did the straight lines--you experimented with tilting the paper to find a way that was most comfortable for you to draw the straight line-that is the way or direction in which you will tilt your paper--according to your comfort zone.

bjcpaints
11-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi everyone :wave: I did spend Saturday morning drawing so I feel good about that, BUT on Thanksgiving we had a thunderstorm (followed by snow in the afternoon) which took out our phones. Unfortunately it destroyed our power strip surge protector and our modem. As soon as hubby gets us back in business this week, I will post my drawings. For now, I will try to catch up on everyone's postings and check the new lesson for the week! 2 more shows and I am done for the year. I can almost feel the stress and pressure lifting........
Barbara

JayD
11-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey Barb, just chilly and sunny and LEAFY down here in the Carolinas. Glad you got through the big storm--I look forward to seeing your upcoming work. :)

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Jay, finally got the M & M's finished. The paper is messy though lol.

Cathie Jones
12-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Ann, your Ms are FABULOUS!!!! :clap:

Here are my last entries. Did them Sunday, but my cable internet was down and dial-up was too slow . . .

Deb Leger
12-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Ann, your M & M's are gorgeous!! Beautiful job!

Cathie, love your eye and the watch. If you were to put a bit of shading in the corner of the eye, it'd make it look rounder. :) Those teardrops are awesome!

Deb

Deb Leger
12-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Jay, coloured the teapot as per your request!! I just finished it. I've been up with some stomach problems for the past hour and thought I might as well be productive. :D

There's two here. One is half finished in coloured pencil. I just don't get along with coloured pencils very well. I love the work done with them by others. (My son does awesome work with them!) But I just can't get the hang of them. So, after starting that one on a printed out copy of the drawing, and becoming very discouraged, I took out the soft pastels and used those. Found them much more blendable! I used the pastels right over the graphite drawing. I liked the effect of colouring only the tea. I'm really disappointed with the flower part though - I almost lost the flower. When looking at it, please remember that my 'thing' is watercolour and I don't know how to use pastels, a fact that is evident when you look at the drawing!!! :D

PS - the cups look really tilted and weird from here, but it's the angle I think because they aren't in real life. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2004/11775-pastel_teapot.jpg

This next one is the coloured pencil attempt:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Dec-2004/11775-cp_teapot.jpg
(Please excuse the crease in the paper. It's beyond hope and I had tossed it into the 'g' file before scanning it.)

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Hi Barbara, hope you get things back in working order soon. You've been missed!

Cathie, you are really coming along with your drawing. I really like the upper part of the eye area, especially the lid and that eye brow is wonderful. Nice shape on the pupil/iris and like the light you left in it. Next time, you might think about doing a bit of shading on the white area of the eye ball to give it a more rounded shape. Since the eye is a round orb and the light is coming from the left the right side of the eye ball would be a bit darker.

The watch is very nicely done. I like the play of lights and the shape. Your hard work is really showing in your drawings! Thanks for the comments on the M's!!!

Thanks Deb and fantastic coloring on the tea pot and cups. Did you actually fill the pot and cups or do this from memory? I thought reds were hard to work with but now I'm finding yellows and keeping them clean yet dark a bear. Maybe you or Cathie have a tip on that since your yellows look so good.

Fireman's kid
12-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Ann - fantastic M&Ms!! I have the right one drawn but was very confused with the values. I can see you didn't have the same problem. :D Maybe I'll use yours as a guide to finish mine up. That's not considered cheating is it? If so, I'll do it anyway and just not tell. :evil: :p

Cathie - good job on the eye and the watch! I still have them to do. Hope mine turn out as good as yours did. :)

Deb - I would have never guessed that pastels aren't "your thing". I love the use of the light gray for the glass so you could leave the reflections white. It definitely reads as glass. And the color of the tea is beautiful. Sorry I can't give you any advice on the flower, I don't think I would have been able to that part as well as you did. I also think you had a good start on the colored pencils and were being a little too tough on yourself.

Subway
12-01-2004, 12:37 PM
You guys are good, and it's tough to stay up with you. Here is what I have done so far.

Jim

JayD
12-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Deb--beautiful work--you should post this in the drawing and sketching main forum for others outside the class to get a gander at. The cups are in a bit of a lean--the color just brought that to my attention--remember to check the drawing witht the mirror and stay true to the center line but OH Deb--the transparency, the plants, the choice of color--bravo!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
12-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey JIm--when you drew the eye did you start with a sphere(the eyeball)? I like the looseness and ease of each drawing especially the watch--are your drawings coming out lighter on screen then they actually are? I really like these. :clap: :clap: They have an element of style that I like.

Cathie Jones
12-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Good job on the eye and watch, Jim.

Stacy, Ann and Deb - thanks for the suggestions on the eye. I wondered how you would shade a white eyeball!

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks Stacy for the comment on the M's. Feel free to use it :). Do you squint when looking at the photo or subject to see the values better?

Subway, I really like the freshness of these drawings. You made the eye looks so natural and easily drawn.

Glad to have helped a little Cathie. I often wonder how people do things such as figures and getting that easy flowing natural look to them.

Subway
12-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words on the drawings. I really struggled a bit with the iris, erasing it and putting it back in several times. In the posting it is clear how terribly out-of-round it really is. Of course it is round, but from the photo, it looks more like an ellipse. It has a little volume to it, so the iris is really a convex circle, sitting on a ball (the eyeball, which is only partly seen), and in the photo it is off-center, so we see it at a peculiar angle. I would welcome suggestions on how to render this in 2 dimensions.

The drawings really are light, I think I used a single Derwent mid-grade pencil for each and didn't press too hard. I usually start off light, then get darker as I get the shape closer to what I want. You can see my guidelines lightly sketched in from when I started.

Thanks again!!!

Deb Leger
12-02-2004, 07:43 AM
Jay, thanks very much for such praise! :) I've been thinking about that flower and wondering how to correct it. I think that if I had drawn it back farther, it would look more like it was in the pot, which is where it was. But it had floated to the front so I should really have done it farther back. Right now, I find it looks like a decorative design on the pot. Okay, I'll post it in the forum. :-) Thanks for pushing me to do this!!

Ann, thanks and yes, it was done from real life. The pot was in front of me and I drank the tea as I was drawing. (Even though the pot looks full. :-) ) I find it much easier to draw from a photograph so I've been trying to draw more from real life.

The yellows? Ummmmm, they're Rembrandt pastels and the colours I used were
Burnt Sienna, #411,5
Deep Yellow, #202,5
Gold Ochre, #231,7
Burnt Umber, #409,5

Stacy, thanks for the compliments. The light gray is the original graphite drawing itself. (I really want to do this as a watercolour, too.)

Jim, good eye and pocket watch. I really like the pin and hoop-thingie on the watch!! (Dont' know what it's called, sorry. And it's too early in the am for my brain to function.)

Deb

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Just uploading some homework now that the computer is back online.
Took some libery with the M&Ms. It is hard for me to get to do the subjects posted so I do something as similar as I can.
Barbara

JayD
12-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Barb--a football--good idea and I like the way that you have broken it down. Nice work on the M&M's--I encourage you to alter all your drawing slightly in some way to make them original so you are right on target. :clap: :) :clap:

idcrisis55
12-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Barbara, enjoyed all your posted work. Those M & M's are cuties. Nice to have you back with us :)

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks Ann & JayD. Of course, now that I am at work I see that the Ms are sideways! LOL I'm off to see this weeks assignment!
Barbara

Fireman's kid
12-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi Barbara! Glad your computer is back online. I really like the page of drawings with the lightbulb and football. Nicely done! The page of comics gave me a chuckle. How creative to look there for spheres! And the M&Ms are really cute. I like how all of their eyes are different. I never noticed that before.

Good work! See you over in Class 7! :wave:

bjcpaints
12-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey thanks Stacey! Its good to be able to post drawings again. I just happened to be reading the Sunday paper when I noticed all the spheres in the characters and then I saw the M&M ad and knew that I had to draw it. I will try to turn it around when I get home tonite.
Barbara