PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Toad

bocote
11-21-2004, 04:54 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-21-2004/21291_canvastoadwc.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Canvas Toad
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14x11 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
friendly toad found in maine and painted from stock in ohio. he didn't want to keep still on the canvas, but I did get a couple good shots of him.

always wanted to paint a toad. practice with multidiretional shadow was nice too. 3 hour painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
prince or not?

earthbot1
11-21-2004, 08:13 AM
i like this guy. you've documented him well, but more than that, gave him some character. a very nice piece. wonderful color and form. perfect composition for him.
"we thought you was a toad"

Artistanne
11-21-2004, 09:36 AM
definitely a Prince! Hard pose to capture (esp. when your model won't hold still) but you've done so nicely here. The reddish/rush on his back and upper "lip" (do toads have lips?) adds a nice hint of color. Nice work.

jbitzel
11-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Very nice indeed! :wave: I like the red too... James

haaf
11-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Bryan

It's lovely, very well done
it's enchanting
can imagine you've wanted to paint him.
I'm working on a children's book (story and drawings) one of the stories
is about a toad who cannot handle the stress of not knowing if he is a prince or not, ....ends up at the psychiatrist.

Your toad has Maine colors.
Caroline;)

Frida200
11-21-2004, 10:17 AM
A toad! A toad! A toad!

:clap:

I love toads. Yours looks very "toady"... :) Those arms are great. And the fingers...
A prince? I would kiss it and see...

bocote
11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
thanks for comments.

Caroline: sounds like that story will be good for adults too :) best of luck with those.

Gilberte
11-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Tell me, what means "painted from stock" ?

Great picture, like it the lot ... I mean the picture ... toads used to frighten me as a child. Keep up the good work !

Tamana
11-21-2004, 09:10 PM
I adore this, absolutely. The eye's great! And I always loved the pigeon-toed stance of frogs and you captured it perfectly. Well done.

Dhuot
11-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Bryan

It's lovely, very well done
it's enchanting
can imagine you've wanted to paint him.
I'm working on a children's book (story and drawings) one of the stories
is about a toad who cannot handle the stress of not knowing if he is a prince or not, ....ends up at the psychiatrist.

Your toad has Maine colors.
Caroline;)

HA HA HA :D that`s funny Caroline

Claudia, I knew you would like it

Bryan , This is very well painted. I like the open-space all around.

LisaArt
11-22-2004, 04:17 AM
Bryan, I Love this little guy! Wonderful work and color. He is almost jumping out off the canvas...superb shadows.

Frida200
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Went outside looking for the toads in my yard... they're all hidden for the winter. :crying:
So I will never know if there was a prince ... :D

Dhuot
11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Went outside looking for the toads in my yard... they're all hidden for the winter. :crying:
So I will never know if there was a prince ... :D

Yes there is a prince !!!!!

HA HA HA :D

Tamana
11-22-2004, 10:20 PM
OMG BRYAN!!! :eek:

I just cruised through DA to catch up with some friends who came looking for me and guess who I saw?! This little guy and Bond, James Bond. You've been on my DeviantWatch over there (I'm Anavah)!!! LOLOL!!! I KNEW I had seen your name before but didn't put 2 + 2 (two)gether!!!

All (two)gether now: DUH!!!!!

I spewed wine all over my keyboard when I saw them and realized it!!!! lolol

takeshi iwasawa
11-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Hi bocote, very nicely done! :clap:
I used paint them all the time when I lived in southern Japan...Its too cold for them here in Hokkaido.

SMViolano
11-23-2004, 01:22 AM
You have captured the true essence of toad!

Magnificent!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: