PDA

View Full Version : Outsider?

kjsspot
11-13-2001, 12:38 AM
Hey ya'll, I'm new to posting over here, but I have recently started looking into Ebay art sales and was directed here for good discussions. =)

Anyhoo, my quesion is, on some ebay listings they have the word 'outsider' on their title. Does anyone know what this means? TIA!!! =)

tammy
11-13-2001, 01:01 AM
I think it means someone who is considered as outside of normal society. (in prison, mental etc.) Many artists have their own definition of the term and some use it because it creates sales.

CarlyHardy
11-13-2001, 01:12 AM
Tammy is right about the use of the word outsider. That was the first use of it, I believe for mentally challenged. However today, the term outsider can mean any artwork that is "outside" recognized formal art. Many artists use the term to signify that they have had no formal training of any kind in the art field...they just paint whatever they think or see. It's usually a very primitive style and often can portray emotional overtones.

Use the term AOA in your search at ebay. This is a group of outsider artists that united to help each other advertise their art at ebay.
carly

kjsspot
11-13-2001, 05:52 PM
Thanks! You two have answered my question. =)

Sandi
11-13-2001, 11:36 PM
Hi KJ! Welcome to WC! :)

blondheim12
11-16-2001, 09:42 AM
"Outsider" art has become very popular in the last few years in the sophisticated art market. Who knows how long that will last?
Linda

teresasart
11-16-2001, 10:58 AM
I've also heard the term applied to art done in the style of graffiti.