PDA

View Full Version : Joy

MarciaGayle
11-20-2004, 11:40 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-20-2004/22561_ShannaJoy2003WebGal.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Joy
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14"x20"
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a painting of my Daughter, I wanted to capture her spirit on canvas.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would like feedback especially as to you "feel "about this piece, what feelings do you get about the character of the subject. Comments and critique welcome. Thank you.

arourapope
11-21-2004, 03:21 AM
This is really nice. I feel it's compositionally very complete and tells a story. I'm guessing that a narrative of her character is what you were looking for, and I'd say you got there. The butterfly in the corner is really a nice touch.... I feel as though I should keep a look out for Book Two now...
I'm glad I saw your post. I hope to see more.

bocote
11-21-2004, 04:08 AM
most interesting indeed. your daughter looks fine, but the real story here is all the bits and happenings around her. Each item is an important part and the scene is well portrayed - viewers already know much about her. multi tones of hair with rainbow crown is fantastic.

very nice and interesting work. the time into this shows.

have fun

haaf
11-21-2004, 11:11 AM
Good narrative work
done with love
has a "Hippie" feel to it, in an organized way that is
Caroline ;)

Mikey
11-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Marcia,

Absolutely beautiful, with a fairy touch. I'm not into auras, but am sure if I were would be able to know a lot more about your daughter. I think that although she is patiently reflective here, she would be quite forthright. My instinctive feeling is there would be more under the surface, or would that be the painting itself.

Mikey

Gilberte
11-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Watercolor ? Amazing !

Tamana
11-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Lovely and heartfelt work. I feel a special bond between mother/daughter that has been captured in paint to be portrayed throughout time. This reminds me of the stage between girl and woman...right before the stuffed animals on the bed give way to throw pillows etc....

Quiet
11-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Watercolor on canvas? Thatís unusual. Would you mind telling a bit about your methods, or show a close-up?

Tamana
11-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Quiet, were you aware they make a watercolor canvas?

LisaArt
11-22-2004, 04:30 AM
Watercolor ? Amazing !
Oh yes I agree, You have captured the spirit of your lovely daughter very well. I really love the hair.

Mikey
11-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Marcia I come back to this painting again. I have been wondering if you are showing a connectedness to the world, the planet and things on it.

Mikey

Quiet
11-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Quiet, were you aware they make a watercolor canvas?

What'll they think of next, oil paints that thin with water?

;-) Sheesh, every time I blink there's a new toy to play with.

TrishG
11-24-2004, 02:24 AM
I have never done a water color that I liked, so can only stand in awe that you got that much detail with that medium. She seems sweet, perhaps a little shy, innocent. Just about to step over the threshold to womanhood. Lovely image!

MarkMark
11-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Seriously Super work...There is certainly a lot of Joy in the painting

MarciaGayle
11-25-2004, 09:09 PM
This is really nice. I feel it's compositionally very complete and tells a story. I'm guessing that a narrative of her character is what you were looking for, and I'd say you got there. The butterfly in the corner is really a nice touch.... I feel as though I should keep a look out for Book Two now...
I'm glad I saw your post. I hope to see more.

Thanks Aurorapope. Book two is around the corner :) yes, you'll see more.

MarciaGayle
11-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your input everyone.

bocote: The hair was sort of a dilema for me, couldn't decide whether to go for the idea I got for it or not but in the end... decide to go for it. Glad that I did. :) yes, it did take some time, lol...{as most of mine do} :wink2: . I sometimes get frustrated at that during the process but in the end am happy. I guess for me it's not how many pieces I produce in a given time period but with my satisfaction with the final piece.

Quiet: Yes, the (canvas) is watercolor paper and sure, I'll post some close ups and explain some of my methods if you like.

Mikey: Yes :) She is a lover of all Life and very connected to nature.

TrishG: Thanks, I don't find the detail hard at all with watercolors, it's all in the saturation of the paper and brush. Just experiment with both extremes and in between.

Thank you all who posted that I did not mention individually ,
your observations and insights were all
very much ....right on target....and very much appreciated. :cat:

-Marcia