PDA

View Full Version : Castlewwod Canyon

woodguy
11-19-2004, 08:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2004/5058_castlewoodcanyon.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Castlewwod Canyon
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 24 x 32
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Just finishing up

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any thoughts? Thanks, Jim

Tamana
11-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Just lovely, Jim. It possesses the still silent of early morning when the sky is still wiping her eyes from sleepy clouds resting in them. I really like how you're using that orange...

Moosehead
11-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Jim. Another nice piece. The land surrounding the canyon and the sky are excellent-especially the foreground rock. However, it is a bit difficult for me to read the canyon itself. Perhaps it should be darker, in shadow, and/ or less busy. I'm not certain, but perhaps something more to emphasize that it's floor is deeper than the surrounding ground?

Just sharing my eyes :D .

Gilberte
11-20-2004, 02:25 PM
I only know canyons from television or the National Geographic but your expressionist painting is impressive and ... warm !

woodguy
11-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Thank you, Tamara, Jon and Gilberte! I appreciate your comments. However, this one has troubled me and I was at the point last night of just scraping it off and starting over. But I just put it aside to rest for awhile. Well this is the result of having a cooling off period. I am a bit happier with it and I think that a few more touches here and there might make it easier to keep. Jim

Moosehead
11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
You rolled up your sleeves and dug a hole. Looks better to me. :clap:

dornberg
11-20-2004, 06:24 PM
i like the proportions of color

artinoils
11-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Jim, like the revisions! They added more definition to the light.

woodguy
11-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Jon, Bob and Susan, thank you for looking and commenting! I think that this is the painting from hell :evil: I have made more adjustments, slight, so they may not show up very well in the digital image. But I realize that my problem is composition....I am working from a photo that I took and I was trying to be true to the photo. Duh, bad comp in photo = bad comp in painting. I am happy with the palette and the nuances that play well through out the painting, but overall the balance, design and movement do not play very well. So, it is here that I am stopping, I give up trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :rolleyes: Jim

bocote
11-21-2004, 04:29 AM
wow there is a lot going on down there. You've really chose something hard to paint here. The outer rim and sky and foreground are all fine. The inner part is confusing me, but you've done well with showing a myriad of form and subjects.

have fun

haaf
11-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi Jim
Looks like Bryce Canyon too
and that's you've seen the light :D
Great
Caroline ;)