PDA

View Full Version : About the gesture

artinoils
11-19-2004, 06:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-19-2004/7970_04_56gestureinslip_shawl.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: About the gesture
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted from life over 3 sessions

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

Artistanne
11-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Susan, this is lovely. I like the way you handled the sheerness of the fabric, lovely dreamlike quality to the whole piece, her gaze--everything here works so well together.

Tamana
11-19-2004, 07:03 PM
I love that green dabbles throughout and the chair in front of the vanity. Very nice touch with the shawl. Surrounding colors are pulled right into the focal point. Well done...

Dhuot
11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Hello Susan

This is "fantastique"...very
It`s the kind of painting I like a lot

If JSS was living in 2004, that would have been........him

Pretty nice work. Can picture it in my house :D

D

katelynalain
11-19-2004, 09:57 PM
hi susan,
this is really nice. i'm envious of your ability to keep the whole thing feeling so loose and fresh :envy: the subtlety of the tones is gorgeous. great scarf! :D

takeshi iwasawa
11-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Hello artinoil, I like it..But the shadow on her left breast bothers me a bit. I made a slight change and weakened a shadow a bit. Over all I like the composition and the way she looks. :clap:

LisaArt
11-20-2004, 04:02 AM
hi susan,
this is really nice. i'm envious of your ability to keep the whole thing feeling so loose and fresh :envy: the subtlety of the tones is gorgeous. great scarf! :D

Hi Susan, I second Kateynalian on this. I really love this painting...Amazing work :clap:

Spyderbabe
11-20-2004, 10:15 AM
also like the curve in the furniture that echos her hip line

earthbot1
11-20-2004, 10:56 AM
very nice work...very sensual color and form.

Michael-Ann
11-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Beautiful gesture, beautiful color...a look of resolve, resigned to her fate. The satin-y slip is oustanding too.

Gilberte
11-20-2004, 02:34 PM
^^^ confirmed, approved, admired :envy:

dornberg
11-20-2004, 06:27 PM
very attractive color emphasis

artinoils
11-20-2004, 08:09 PM
You all made my day...thank you for your very nice comments :D
Anne, during the process was trying to focus my attention on emotion and atmosphere as well as gesture...to use the model as a starting point rather than an end point if you know what I mean.
Tam, that chair was a late addition that just worked well, imo. It also had special meaning to me.
Dhuot, JSS...probably rolling over about now... :angel: :)
Katelyn, focussing also on both subtley and looseness for improvement. Always seem to be attracted to paintings that have those qualities...for the warm tranquil feeling they evoke.
Takeshi, you have a good point but lightening so much takes something from the form...maybe a halftone adjustment.
Lisa, glad you like it. :)
Spyder, questioned that point. I softened the echo with the fringe on the shawl.
Earthbot, :)
Michael anne, glad you could tell what fabric :D
Gilberte, :)
Dornberg, happy you think so.

Frida200
11-21-2004, 02:16 AM
this is soooooo........
golden!

bocote
11-21-2004, 04:21 AM
incredible form. a wonderful painting with good debth of subject and background while being somewhat simple (background). The arm's shadows are taking some of the show from the face and figure... perhaps a touch of highlight or contrast to firm up this great painting.

have fun

haaf
11-21-2004, 11:08 AM
In this one the colors do the work (magnificanly)
great palette
Caroline ;)

instargalv
11-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Wonderful! I think Dhout hit the nail on the head - very John Singer Sargaent. By coincidence, I was at a museum yesterday looking at a Sargaent painting. Up close the painting was very loose, almost cartoon-like, but step back 12 steps and it all came together - such a master.

Robert

artinoils
11-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Frida200 :D
bocote, appreciate your comment.
caroline, I think I'm finally understanding color relationships better. Hopefully will be able to apply.
robert, my goal is for the painting to work at a distance, since that's where they are mostly viewed...except here. :eek: There's a Sargent show at the Brooklyn Museum in NY...hopefully will get to see it.
Thank you all :) :wave: