GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Koi
Year Created: 2001
Medium: Other
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 30x70cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Traditional Ink on Paper (Kakejiku), scroll.
Koi(Carp) swimming up the waterfall. In Japan Koi will eventually transform it self to dragon while swimming/jumping in waterfall.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do you think about this composition??

Mikey
11-19-2004, 05:38 AM
The fish is superb. I do think the composition would be stronger if it were lower in the painting. I like the Japanese simplicity here.

Mikey

Tamana
11-19-2004, 06:27 PM
I love Koi and Asian art as well. What's the "other" medium (traditional ink) you've expressed? Sumi? (about as ancient and traditional as you can get). I love Sumi -- use the bamboo brushes and all. It's what I use in combination with about 99% of my works irrespective of the main medium -- be it oil, acrylic, op's, water color, whatever...I love Sumi and use it for the line work - it gums and hardens leaving a dimension and deepens into a deep set of well rather than fading. Just purchased some Rice but really want Kakejiku for Christmas gifts I'm doing.

Perchance do you use skeletal leaves? They're incredible with ink.

The painting works very well - the Koi appears as though he's literally jumped from the river and is suspended in mid-air by your brush.

takeshi iwasawa
11-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks Mikey, I will try it next time I paint Koi.

Hello Tamana, I use sumi and Japanese pigment mixed with rabbit skin glue. What do you mean by skeletal leaves?
There are few uses 'Kaki-shibu' dark extract from Kaki tree to give older looks to the kakejiku.

You could probably purchase pre-stretched kakejiku for cheaper. That's what I use, to save cash and time.