PDA

View Full Version : ***Daily Wash, Thursday, November 18, 2004***

Christie
11-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Good Morning All!

It's been a bit since I started one of these.:)

I actually posted two paintings in the gallery! They are here (bamboo painting) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231025) and here (Sedona- I think) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231026)

Just remember that they are minis and posting at the 500 x 600 that most of you do would expand them by several factors.:)

So, there is school and tutoring tomorrow. Then home to try and cope with the mess that I seem to have created today.:)

Take care.

laudesan
11-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Hey Christie.. :wave: Looking now..;)

I love the Sedona one. The Bamboo is pretty awesome too....all that green and you do it so well!!

I have had Reece home here for most of the day. He was not at all well at school, and Tania dropped him off this morning..

He has slept, he has eaten, and he has been playing with my watercolour pencils.

He LOVES the watercolour pencils, so guess what he is getting for Christmas..

Yesterday I took my ruby ring into the jewelers yet again because one of the stones has fallen out.. This stone has fallen out 3 times!!

I have told them I want it fixed properly, and I don't want anymore gold packed in where the stone was too small and they needed to make it fit, and I want the claw fixed they broke.

Well the Jeweller went nuts. He was in the back fixing something or other and wasn't going to look at my ring again. SO.............the girl said leave it and she would get the manager to look at it when he got in today..

I said fine the manager WILL rmember the ring as I told him before it wasn't fixed properly..

Well I just had a phone call from the manager, he says to me........."If you will give me a few days I will find a jeweller who is worthy of mending it to have a look at it."

I say "The jeweller Carlos wont look at it again will he?" He says not at all I just need to find another more reputable jellewer.. Cool by me just fix it properly please.

So will see what happens next week..

Roun2it
11-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Morning each,

Just popping in, I've got a lot happening today, and I'm trying to squeeze a session at the gym in too!

Quite chilly, sleet, snow and frost forecast for today. Winter is coming.

stephie20
11-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Hi all.....................
Last day off before hoiday next Thursday, so lots to do.......have had no time to paint :crying: ........should quieten off at work now, as not much left you can order in time for xmas, until the dreaded sales :(

Hardly seem to get in here much lately, can't keep up with whats going on, it moves so fast.......

Christie........Will go and take a look in a mo

JJ....hope you get your ring sorted.........are you feeling more rested now after your jaunt round the world.......

Kev..........keep the snow up there please :D ....Ihave to drive 40miles round the M25 to get to work, and i'm dreading it when the snow comes........

Hope all is well.........((((i)))) to all in need

Lulu
11-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi everyone:)
just a quick peek before bed. Hoping for a better night, lots of pain with my knee last night and couldn't walk on that leg this morning! oh woe, no gym today...
Took an anti-inflamatory and finally I could straighten my leg at tea-time tonight. Back to the physio and the doctor tomorrow to see why.

Fun painting today, more large butts Kev:D and also quickie cartoon of JJ's Alan. There is sooo much fodder for my pencils in this wash! lol

Nite nite :wave:

Nitsa
11-18-2004, 03:55 AM
Morning all!.....Long time no see! :wave:

Christie, Sedona is amazing...So small :eek: and yet so full of detail. Bamboo is also lovely!

Laudesan....Hope Reece is soon feeling better.
You ring problem sounds so heartbreaking, do you find it's hard to get a good job done on anything these days?
Good luck with it!

Kev...Snow! :eek: Oooooooh signs that Christmas is coming...Bring it on!
Good luck at the gym, I'll think of you while I eat my cream cake and do my chair-obics! LOL!

Stephie.....Sounds hectic, holiday sounds fun though...Enjoy!

I haven't been around much recently but I have been checking the Gallery at every chance to keep my finger in. I purchased some soft pastels a few weeks ago and haven't stopped since. Had a few portrait commissions, which is great but it's been nervewracking at times. I now have a large coldsore for my efforts (stress probably)..and yet, I enjoyed it all, every minute! Artists eh? LOL!
Got a watercolour commission in the horizon so I am now dabbling with my brushes again....I couldn't rub another piece of Wallis paper if I tried right now, I have NO fingertips! :crying:

Managed to replace my framer, he packed up shop, so I am pleased about that. Picking up a frame today and doing some general shopping, then hope to have a quick tidy round and paint for the rest of the afternoon!

Have fun everyone!

painterbear
11-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Good Morning all,

It is just past 4:30 a.m. and still early enough in the Wash to be on the first page! Wooeee!

We have two watercolor forum friends who are celebrating their special day today:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO FABRIZIO (Fabulous) AND BETTY (BSWilson)! Hope you both have a wonderful day for your celebration and a terrific year ahead for painting the picture of your artistic dreams!

Christie, Will go and check out your paintings as soon as I finish here. I usually save my paintings at 425 pixels for longest side (computer sizes other side). I find when I save them larger than that, I can't really see the whole picture on my screen. I have to scroll up or down to see it. That isn't very satisfactory. Sometimes bigger ISN'T necessarily better. :cool:

JJ, Good luck with getting the ring fixed. It must be frustrating to have to take it back again. Hope Reece feels better today after a day of Grandmom's cuddling.

Kev, We are really having a mild winter so far. I haven't even gotten my heavy winter coat out, most days I wear either a sweater or a raincoat. They are predicting temps in the 60°s (@ 16°C) one day this week.

Stephie, 'Tis true, you miss a day around here and you feel lost when you come back, so much happens all around the world.

Lulu, I can truly commiserate with you on the knee. See my saga below of my day at the hospital.

Anita, Nice to see you here, hope you aren't putting your watercolors away to concentrate on pastels though.

Warning, tale of woe coming, :crying: scroll down to miss it!
Yesterday was a day from [email protected] for us! I had a doctor's appointment at 7:45 a.m. at the Wright-Patterson Base Hospital. They like you to check in about 15 minutes early so we planned to be there by 7:30 and left our house with that in mind. What we didn't know is they are having a readiness exercise on the Base this week (to rehearse what would happen in case of another terrorist attack or even the serious threat of one). There were lo-o-o-n-g lines at each gate because they were checking the ID cards of all car's occupants so it took us 40 minutes to go through and we arrived at the hospital a scant one minute before my appointment. What's that saying about The best laid plans of mice and men.....

After seeing my doctor and telling him about the pain I've been having in my knee for the last month, he said "Hm-m-m-m, sounds like it might be a cartilege problem." So he schedule an appointment with the x-ray department.

But-t-t-t-t, first I had to have my eyes examined. That took forever because they dilated my pupils as part of the examine which takes time. An hour later I was down in x-ray, then on to the shot clinic for a pneumonia shot (recommended along with the flu shot for we "seasoned citizens").

Finally, we were done at the hospital so we went to Toyland at the BX to get some presents for grandson Quinn's birthday, which is next Wednesday. That went well since his Mom (my smart daughter! LOL!) had sent us a Wish List and we were able to actually find some things we knew he'd like and/or needed. But, when we got to the checkout counter we discovered they were having a Base-wide lockdown (as part of the Readiness Exercise), and we couldn't leave the building—for 45 minutes! Aaaargh! When we finally could go on to our next stop, it was already lunchtime so we had to stop and get a bite to eat (more time lost because we normally are home well before lunch). Then we shopped at the main BX and bought some things we needed and finally the Commissary for groceries. We got home about 1:30 p.m. after an exhausting day of hurry-up and wait! I was beat for the rest of the day.

Sorry to cry on your shoulders, but I'm not used to this kind of nonsense. :mad: :eek:

Today is a much better day. I have my last painting class with Diane Coyle for this semester, will start up again after the New Year. Today she is doing a demo on architectural elements in a painting. That is right up my line! I'm looking forward to seeing her approach.

Hope all with aching appendages and those not feeling well for other reasons, all are doing much better today.

Off to look at the Gallery and especially Christie's miniatures.

SYL,

Sylvia

droll13
11-18-2004, 05:17 AM
Good morning all,

Woke up in the middle of the night again, began my usual computer routine which is: 1) check email accounts; 2) visit here in the Wash; 3) then other actions - right now I've got 2 more (out of 6 ordered) calendars to make and print for one of the WC regulars.

Well, I didn't get beyond step 1. Couldn't connect to email server through Outlook, couldn't connect through the webmail page. Called the support line, and they said they're doing maintenance. They should notify customers in advance about planned outages. On second thought, this is Verizon, so of course they follow their usual practice of ignoring good customer service.

Wonderful minis, Christie. How do you go about framing those? Even a very thin frame would be too much, I'd think.

Hi JJ. Speaking of customer service, it sounds like the manager might be on top of things, and the jeweller needs to find another trade.

Morning Kev. Hope you accomplish everything on your schedule today.

Hi Stephie - I agree; hard to keep up with all the goings on here.

Lulu, I hope the leg is better soon and that you get (or are getting, or did get) a good night's sleep.

Congrats on the commissions, Nitsa. Nerve wracking? Terrifying I'd say.

That's everyone who was here when I began this reply. Hi to those who've joined in since then and to AWAYTC.

Europa
11-18-2004, 06:29 AM
MORNING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Rainy and cold here in downtown Wigan - nothing planned for today but am sure Mum will find something. We went shopping yesterday - I bought a couple of pressies and Mum - well she bought an upright freezer (as you do when you go Christmas shopping!! :confused: )

Christie - love those paintings - don't know how you managed to get the detail in something so small - I would be bog-eyed.

JJ - hope Reece is soon feeling better and Alan's underarms are smelling sweet....LOL.

Kev - have a good day at the gym - I am with Nitsa on this - will think of you as I do my chair robics......LOL.

Stephie - good to see you - glad things are slowing down a teeny bit for you.

Lulu - hope you soon get your knee sorted out.

Sylvia - gosh you had a bit of a journey it seems - I didnt realise you lived on a base - ooooooh all those men in uniform!! :evil:
Hope Quinn has a great birthday - its our Jamie's birthday too next Wednesday - he will be 28 (gosh am farrrrrrr to young to have a son that age)

Waving to Dave and Nitsa :wave:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FABRIZIO AND BETTY!!

K am off for brekky

Love and hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

JudyL
11-18-2004, 07:18 AM
G'day all!
I am spending the day at home today, may have to go out and take pictures of the Marigold rebuild in progress, they have the roof on now.
Sylvia, Ah yes the military life, ain't it grand!
I am trying to decide what to do today. What I should do or what I WANT to do, think the Want will win, except the defrosting of small refrigerator, which I started last night. This means I will clear the dining table off and play with paint.
So "hi" to all, and those yet to come

Later, JudyL

Yorky
11-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Afternoon all :wave:

What Pat said ^^^^^ ;) :evil: - So much happening around here!

Wrote a bereavement letter for our dear friend Giselheid - such a lovely lady, sorely missed. :crying:

Posted 2 tote bags to Christie.

Been tidying the house before we go away tomorrow. Of course it wasn't as easy as that - I found the belt on the Hoover was broken, but luckily we had a spare.

Brought the suitcases down. They weigh a ton - luckily they both have wheels. Ruth has split the clothes and presents (mostly books) between the two in case something goes astray. Will have to find a way of weighing them - they need to be under 32 kg each. The bathroom scales won't weigh me carrying a suitcase :rolleyes:

Now have to empty Ruth's car as the body shop is coming to collect it so it will be repaired by the time we get home on the 30th.

Should be able to relax this afternoon with everything packed and ready. We leave home at 7 am tomorrow morning for a 10.50 am flight via Chicago.

Must go and get a bite to eat now, its 12.30 pm.
BBL
Doug

laudesan
11-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Oooooooooo Doug!!!!!!!!! I can feel your excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

droll13
11-18-2004, 07:42 AM

We leave home at 7 am tomorrow morning for a 10.50 am flight via Chicago.

Doug

Have an enjoyable and safe trip, Doug.

Uschi
11-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Good Morning Christie, JJ, Kev, Stephie, Lulu, Anita, Sylvia Dave, Pat and all yet to come!!!
Foggy, dull but WARM!!!

Well, nothing new since yesterday afternoon so just zooming through.

Christie - lovely little paintings!!!!

Sylvia - I feel for your frustration yesterday.

Lulu - Ouch, Ouch, sorry about your pain; I guess the additional three squats weren't worth it.

JJ - you mentioned the other day about the feeding of the watercolour paper into the printer - no, doesn't feed itself, I have to individually help each page along but the little prints look awesome!!!

Doug - since it's already afternoon at your place I might miss your leaving tomorrow so am going to take the opportunity now to wish you and Ruth an excellent, frustration free and smooth flight!!!

Dave - isn't it frustrating when the provider is down, being pretty computer illiterate I immediately assume it's the computer and am in an instant panic.

Well, Flo is coming over so I better get showered and tidy the studio a bit so she has a place to sit and paint.

Sending good thoughts to each and every one and :wave: greetings!
Uschi

laudesan
11-18-2004, 08:04 AM
JJ - you mentioned the other day about the feeding of the watercolour paper into the printer - no, doesn't feed itself, I have to individually help each page along but the little prints look awesome!!!
Uschi

Yes that is what I meant, help it along.. ;) sometimes it doesn't go in straight even tho I have the guide right up against the paper. I have a levr on my printer up for paper down for envelopes. I set it on envelopes when I try to do the wc paper.

Must give it another go as I want to print out Christmas cards.. I f it wont work, then I will have to paint little individual paintings and glue them onto the card stock. That always looks real nice too, especially if one glues a piece of red or green or gold coloured paper uder there too..

WEll I must go to bed folks.. After 11.00pm

Huggles to all hurting.

Especially those with owie knees.. :(

Starsprite
11-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Good morning! Just a quick dash in...then I'm off!

Sorry to hear about your knee problem Lulu...that would be awful, especially since you like to go to the gym. I like to exercise too...it feels great doesn't it? Well afterwards anyway. :)

Kev hope you have your painting and poem ready for today! I know that Chris is ready and raring to go with his! :D

Doug, where are you going in the USA? You are visiting son and family right? Have a great time!!

Dave, sorry to hear about your connection problems. I hate when that happens. Seems to happen out of the blue for no reason and really puts a crimp in your style huh? Hey.. did you see mr sandbanx's painting of the egret picture you took....its in the Gallery now, take a look if you haven't already.

Christie, I love the miniature paintings you did... you must have a lot of patience!!! :)

Well gotta go.... probably another rainy drizzy day here in Kansas. :mad: I need some sun.

Roun2it
11-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Well I'm back, couldn't work out why I got back so early after all I had planned. But when I went to empty the boot I realised ................ I forgotten to go to the gym!! Whoops :eek: :o Well I had a lot on my mind.

I've got to go to the hospital in Manchester tomorrow for the pre-op checks. So may call at gym when I come back.

It's Thursday so must get my stuff together and post my apples to Chris. Wonder if he has got my card yet?

Strawberry Wine
11-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Good Day Washers.

Warm and wet today. We need the rain however. I am starting to think about a new painting for a Christmas card today, nothing is stirring in my head though.

Doug, have a safe and happy trip.

JJ; Hope the ring will be fixed soon.

((((((Sylvia)))))))) I hate the waiting game and delays.

Happy Birthday Fabrizio and Betty :wave: Hope your day is more than hoped for.

Lulu, I am thinking you are overdoing the exercise on that knee. Slow down a bit.

Dave: I had a few problems last year printing up my calendars. Finally got it worked out though. How are you going to have them bound? I took mine into a local shop where they put the spiral bindings on them for about 20 cents a piece.

:wave: to all those I have not mentioned

OH, forgot, Christie, Love your minis.

I am heading over to the gallery now, will check out the egret, thanks Patty.

Cheers to all

Gail

JudyL
11-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi again, a bit yucchy today, oh well, it is November.
JJ, if the card stock does not work for printing the cards, and you have to resort to glue, you could print the design onto photo paper, matt or glossy and glue that on, to save time.
I finished the fridge defrosting, and Jack was wrong. I had been holding off doing it, till I could put something under the refrigerator, because the door to the freezer hadn't closed properly, and it was icebound. Jack said it would not leak all over the floor. He said it was new, and would be ok, well, he was wrong, but no damage done (concrete floor and horrible rug) but will need to dry. Well defrosted though.
I guess I'd better think about going out to take pictures. ick

JudyL

droll13
11-18-2004, 09:00 AM

Dave: I had a few problems last year printing up my calendars. Finally got it worked out though. How are you going to have them bound? I took mine into a local shop where they put the spiral bindings on them for about 20 cents a piece.

Yeah, I had problems too. I was importing the photos directly into my calendar program. They looked great on the screen, but were severely degraded when printed. So now I use the calendar program only to print the monthly grid. Then I open the photos in PSP and print them one at a time on the back of the 12 monthly pages. A little time-consuming, but worth it because the photos print beautifully. Another advantage of using PSP is that I can add 3 different borders to simulate 1) a thin inner mat, 2) a wider mat, and 3) a frame. Here's how one of them looks:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/23514-back_of_MARCH_text.jpg

Binding? I'm having them coil or spiral bound, but I'm paying much more than $0.20. Kinkos says $5.00, Office Max is $2.75, an independent copy center is about $2.25. Staples will do it for for $1.93 if I have them do 10 or more, but they send the job out so it takes too long. I finally found another office supply store that will do them onsite for $1.79 each if I have 11 or more.

Johnnie
11-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Hi all

JJ.. Use really light WC paper.. I can get 90lbs thru my HP950 with no problem.. 140 tho forget it. To much trouble.Also Yupo goes thru pretty nice too. Tho its plastic. I got a sample of the stuf and dont like it at all.. Uschi you want it? If so I'll bring it next time I'm up there.

Nice and warm here like Uschi said.. Damp tho.. Looks to be trying to rain and very foggy around here in the East end..

PROTRAIT HELP
Wondering if anyone can help with a portrait problem.. I have two grandaughters one is blonde and other is brunette.. What colour background could I use so the blonde and brunette standsout from the background? Any tips on that, anyone?

Well not much else new here. same old same old.
Have a great day all.

Johnnie

Little Old Lady
11-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Greetings :wave:
Hope all the sore knees get better!
Interesting calendar info.
Have an idea for one using plastic frame shown on Carol Duvall show.
Resale shop this aft. We are having half price sale so will surely find something I HAVE to have. I do have three bags to bring so won't feel so guilty.
Have a good one!
Have to go put the garbage out!
JoAnn

JudyL
11-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Dave, sounds like you need to look into the cost of one of those spiral binding machines. Perhaps a secondhand one.
Johnnie, re the portrait, I would probably do something oatmealish, neutral.
Decided I don't want to take pictures in the rain, and they could not have done that much since yesterday afternoon. So I won't go! Tomorrow yes, need to get the paper and to Harrogate for Christmas shopping at M&S.
Doug, good luck on your journey, don't forget to exercise those legs on the flight.
JudyL

Christie
11-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Back again...

thanks to all who commented on my paintings. I don't know about framing yet. They may end up in the "pile".:D

Sorry to hear about your knee Lulu. Hope you can get back to using it soon.

JudyL, our deep freeze actually has a hose attachment and all the defrost junk goes down the drain, but I have had more puddles than I want to admit when defrosting our fridge freezer.:D Perfect excuse to have the children wash the floor.:D

Doug, thanks for posting those bags.:)

Well, children need to be fed. Be back later.

take care.

jaytee
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
:wave: :wave:

did you miss me....:D didnt even get her to lurk since Monday.....where DOES the time go.......so thought Id catch up on three days wash in one go.......Nooooooo chance, ws laughing far to much after tuesdays to do anything but whip through here so still have to read JJs original lowdown on Alans armpits :D

Guess Im busy sorting out the house......... but am so envious of Sharon..... Ive STILL not got those new patio doors that were supposed to be hung before the Septemebr Kington meet !!! The builder went to check that the doors were in to join the frame and sidelights as promised on Wednesday to find that they had been misrouted to another part of the country .....

.....now remember , if you can go back that far.......it was the doors, and only the doors that arrived here in September a month after ordering.......with only half a frame and no side-windows....... so we sent them back.......the second lot of doors should have arrived with the windows and frame but had gone missing. ........so this travelling set are the THIRD try........... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!!

Builder optimistically hopes to start next week....... if its not raining !!!!!

And to think that the reason we didnt get them hand made to order locally was the fact that the guy was too busy in September !! he could have made them twice over by now :( Mind you, he hasnt finished the draining board for the utility room yet , ordered at about the same time... so perhaps not :D

Now Ive fogotten everything...... but to welcome Portland Anne to the Madhouse......if you see a pretty lady in a bright pink cap around Portland. go up and say Hi Judy from me :D I was going to say give her a hug. but what of it wasnt Judy :eek:

Must do some things and then read Wednesday.......

Oh, and Ruth...... not all those rugs are for me.......the last 5 were for heather :D And shes coming for another session tonight :D

HH&J to all

Flattwo
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Hello all

One of my Brothers is just back from a months trip to Cambodia/Thailand

Here are a couple of photos he sent me, I hope you like them

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/3457-Kenny_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/3457-Kenny_2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/3457-Kenny_3.jpg

Henry

droll13
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Here's one photo from this morning. I was walking out to the car and saw the sun shining through these leaves, so I went back for my camera.

Interesting to have such drastic color patterns due only to light and shadow. All these leaves are the same color - if I move one into the light, it looks red-orange, if I move it into shadow, it looks purply. The photo is unenhanced, but might look better if made some adjustments with PSP - but I don't have the time for that now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/23514-MVC-766F_crop-02.jpg

Starsprite
11-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Henry...you know I can't let this go without saying it!!!! Why do those girls wear those big neck brace looking necklaces??? Arrgggghhhhh....looks very uncomfortable!!!! Very nice pictures though... hard to believe some people still live in grass huts like that. Your brother looks nice...he has nice blue eyes... and you can quote me on that. LOL :) :wave:

Dave, excellent leave pictures...I really like the play of light on them too.

By the way..... I have seen pictures of Dave's calendar pages and they look great!!!! They make wonderful Christmas gifts.. I always like getting a calendar for Christmas...so I am giving some of his to family members this year. They will appreciate them I am sure...plus they have important personalized dates on them...cool!! And are priced very reasonable. :)

mr sandbanx
11-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Being 29th suits me.

Hey everyone! long day, not much news, read all this, good stuff, terific pictures henry and Dave. Glad to see everyone arrived here safely.

Seeya :wave: :wave:

Chris

laudesan
11-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Henry...you know I can't let this go without saying it!!!! Why do those girls wear those big neck brace looking necklaces??? Arrgggghhhhh....looks very uncomfortable!!!! Very nice pictures though... hard to believe some people still live in grass huts like that. Your brother looks nice...he has nice blue eyes... and you can quote me on that. LOL :) :wave:

Dave, excellent leave pictures...I really like the play of light on them too.

By the way..... I have seen pictures of Dave's calendar pages and they look great!!!! They make wonderful Christmas gifts.. I always like getting a calendar for Christmas...so I am giving some of his to family members this year. They will appreciate them I am sure...plus they have important personalized dates on them...cool!! And are priced very reasonable. :)

Henry I am asking too.. ;) She looks very young, and VERY uncomfortable..

I HAVE ONE OF DAVES' AWESOME CALENDARS........and I can vouch that they are very professional and VERY pretty!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmm what is the use of buying a camera fone to send pics to friends over seas like the adds say when some countries don't support down under servers.. That is NOT what the add says.. grrrrrrr..

JT.....poor JT those dam doors.. :mad: by the way I have forgotten what does HH&J mean again???????

I have a frost free freezer.. :D

:wave: evrybody gotta run it is nearly 11.30am I am still in my nightshirt, and not had breakfast yet..

CharM
11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone!!! ...back home in little old Chatham... I had two of the nicest things happen to me today...

During a meeting this morning, I commented about all the cars that had a large yellow ribbon with "Support Our Troops" written on them... I mentioned that I had a Son in the Canadian Forces and we have nothing like this... I thought they were a wonderful reminder to folks... Anyway, I had to leave for a luncheon meeting... When I returned, there were two of the magnetic ribbons on my desk... People are just so thoughtful...

Last week, I submitted 3 paintings to the Thames Valley Art Gallery's "Eye for Art" juried exhibition... DH told me that the curator called today... All three were accepted!!!

I'm really pooped, but I've *skimmed* the Washes... Having been surrounded my entire life by menfolk, I love having lots of *Sisters*... and *chosen* family is just the best!

I had the most wonderful dinner at Sylvia's! She's a French Chef!!! OHMYGAWSH! Her home, turret and all, is gorgeous... warm and inviting... Her paintings are sooo beautiful... we talked up a storm... her DH just chuckled at us... :D :D :D I tried to talk him into bringing Syl to the Ontario Paint In in the spring...

Oh... Syl... I did get turned around because of the construction on Hwy. 4... but I backtracked to 675 and the very next exit took me to my Hotel!!! Phew... things look much different in the black of night!

I have to be in Springfield again, the week of December 6th or 13th... not sure which one yet...

Lots of gorgeous pics...

Happy Birthday to all I've missed! Pass the cake please... no ice cream though... :D

Johnnie... no help with backgrounds... I have a portrait of the 3 boys and my DH sketched out... I can't get myself to start painting it because I don't know what to do with the background...

:wave: to Doug and Ruth... have a safe flight!!!

I'm having withdrawal from not visiting the Gallery... hope to begin catching up tomorrow... tonight... it's veggie time in front of the TV... so... gnite, sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!

laudesan
11-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Me too I keep forgetting to say Happy Birthday to all the Birthday people.

Char GLAD to have you back. I am sooooo jealous of your meet up with Sylvia. Two of my fav people together and I am not here.. :(

What a lovely thing .......the yellow ribbons.. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2004/22284-bon_voyage.gif DOUG and RUTH..

Flattwo
11-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi

Patty and JJ, I think they add a ring each year, or something like that, I read somewhere that the longer the neck, the more beautiful they are considered..beats me :confused: here is some info

http://www.djparadisetour.com/MaeHongSon/ePadong.html

Henry

laudesan
11-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Hi

Patty and JJ, I think they add a ring each year, or something like that, I read somewhere that the longer the neck, the more beautiful they are considered..beats me :confused: here is some info

Henry

Well that IS interesting. Not several rings at all.. One would think then that breathing would be a little more difficult.. Strange indeed..

Lulu
11-18-2004, 09:31 PM
afternoon all:)
Char, great to see you back! How lovely to spend time with Sylvia, two special ladies together:)

Henry, beautiful photos! My sister would say that that was done to my neck, she always calls me 'goose neck'. lol Sisters, don'tcha just love 'em:D

Dave, love those colours! is that a virginian creeper?

Doug and Ruth :wave: :wave:

droll13
11-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Lulu,

I doubt that it's a Virginia Creeper. As far as I'm concerned, it's just some blasted ivy that invades my yard and I have to hack away at it every now and then.

JJ,

Thank you for the testimonial about my calendars. I hate to break this to you, but the version you have is an early one. With all due modesty, I have to say that I think my current versions are much improved.

Char,

1) Welcome back
2) congrats on the 3 paintings being accepted, but that's no surprise to me.
3) glad you enjoyed your visit with Sylvia

laudesan
11-18-2004, 11:05 PM
JJ,

Thank you for the testimonial about my calendars. I hate to break this to you, but the version you have is an early one. With all due modesty, I have to say that I think my current versions are much improved.

Woo-Hoo....... no modesty with Artists..

Folks these calendars must be awesome then...........

vasilkadifeli
11-19-2004, 01:46 AM
Hi

Henry

I just went quickly thru these pages... it says that the rings do not make the neck longer, if this was the case they would be paralised, but rather the ribs are pushed down with these rings in time to create a longer neck... well I haven't seen it here but I remember once I red that these women cannot remove those rings at their lifetime, because if they do they gonna die... that is so said... if it is true of course.... and what really makes it said is that this is not their choice, their parents decide it for them while they are kids...

Starsprite
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi

Henry

If you read the article to Henry's link it clears up a lot of misinterpretations...like I had too...that it must hurt and looks cruel. Here is a little bit about it. Every women asked said the wear the neck ring for tradition and they have a choice of whether to wear it or not.

The neck-ring is not, as often believed, made of an accumulation of rings through the years, but of a brass spiral which is changed for a longer one when the child grows. It does not lengthen the neck, but pushes down the ribs. The spiral can be taken out without real danger.