PDA

View Full Version : Plein Air Organizations, groups, Online sites, etc;

LarrySeiler
03-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Let's start a thread where we can share info on the existence of groups; get a feel for what's going on around the country, good bad or otherwise. Might be useful, and if it proves so...we'll make it a sticky.

One such group is PAPA or "Plein Air Painters of America"
A group growing in national attention with some very talented painters. Taking nothing away from the painter's and their talents there...I wish their name were changed to PAPC or "Plein Air Painters of California because membership is by invitation only and you have to attend a couple shows out there. This equates to nearly a "pilgrimage to Mecca" or "California" which I don't think properly speaks for and represents what is happening in plein air across the country. Still...some very impressive artists.

http://www.p-a-p-a.com

Might be educational or growth learning to point to some favorite pieces or artist there. Use of color is very good. Ken Auster, Joseph Paquel...many others.

Linda Blondheim's group is growing in the Florida region, and they have their own site online now....
http://pleinairflorida.org/

I'm sure Linda, and others will have some great things to report and share about that including their paint out this month.

I belong to NAPPAP as does L Diane Johnson..."National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters" and we have our own website.
Unfortunately, my web site listed there is down due to a merger with domain hosts...which is real aggravating to me since I spent two months creating a new and satisfying site. My artistnation site here though features many of my works. Do check out artist's work there as well.

http://nhstudios.com/NAPPAPFrameSet.html

Larry

bluochre
03-23-2002, 08:49 AM
perhaps helpful.

http://pub19.ezboard.com/bpleinairtraveler

LarrySeiler
03-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Yeah...good stuff there. I gleaned a link for the "Tuscon Plein Air Painter's Society" there-

http://www.tpaps.com/

blondheim12
03-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Check out this page on our pleinairflorida.org site for links involving plein air painting.
BTW, anyone is welcome to become a supporting or invitational member to PAF. Our Own Diane Johnson is a member, as well as Llis Franklin in Georgia.

http://pleinairflorida.org/links.htm

LarrySeiler
03-25-2002, 09:07 AM
Well..chalk up another one from California.

This one called, "The Plein Air Scene- Your Source on California Plein Air Painting"

http://www.thepleinairscene.com

-Larry

brendahofreiter
03-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi Guys!

Just got back from Kanapaha Paintout and had a chance to get back to Wet Canvas for a change! I wanted to throw my two cents worth in about a Plein Air group that I started here in Central Florida. Plein Air Painters of Central Florida. We have been in existance for going on 4 years and paint out in various locations around the Central Florida area once a week. Currently we are painting on Tuesday mornings. We are also a part of Linda's Plein Air Florida group and some of us have joined the North Florida Artist's Alliance since we were so impressed with the way that they organized the Kanapaha event. All in all, since we all met up here on Wet Canvas last September, things here in Florida have been looking up for the Plein Air scene and we all look forward to more events and opportunities in the future. Anyone is welcome to join the Central Florida group or Plein Air Florida. All of our events will be listed on the News Page of Plein Air Florida.

Brenda Hofreiter

impressionist2
05-04-2002, 09:31 PM
Linda , Your Florida group sounds great. I would love to find a group that painted on say, Tuesday mornings on a regular basis. It's more fun than always being out there on your own. Plus, the artist friends I ask to go with me are just dabbling in plein aire and aren't really enthusiastic enough to show up!

On Reynold's suggestion in the thread, "Dogwood" , I wrote to another pleinairist on Long Island and asked if there are any existing societies not present on the web.

If the answer from her is "no", then my question to you is, do you have a format for starting a plein aire group? Either you or Diane?
I know this is not a question with a quick answer, but any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Renee

Plus, what about the northeast? Aren't there any established groups out this way? Say, we have beautiful landscapes. What are we, mud? :mad: :D

walden
05-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Renee, I'm going to try to piggyback a plein air group off of existing local art groups. When I visited our Clear Lake Arts Alliance, I picked up their newsletter, in which they listed meeting times & places for a several local societies. There's one down in Texas City, one in Dickinson, one up towards Houston in Pasadena-- all within a 20 minute drive of my house. I'm going to call the numbers & ask if I can visit their next meeting and I'll take flyers to give to anyone who expresses interest in a regular plein air group (I also may join one or more of these societies). Ideally, I would like a plein air group that met at least once a week to paint-- very simple, all media & all skill levels, bring your lunch kind of thing, maybe taking turns choosing the site or nominating sites and voting. Heck, I would be content with just a buddy or two that shared my interest. The only thing that's important to me is finding a core group of people who are interested in it as an experience-- right now I don't envision the more advanced sorts of paintouts, shows and sales that Linda's Florida group puts on, although I could certainly see the group growing in that direction.

blondheim12
05-06-2002, 10:55 AM
If the answer from her is "no", then my question to you is, do you have a format for starting a plein aire group? Either you or Diane?
I know this is not a question with a quick answer, but any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Renee

Renee,
Sorry It took me so long to get back to you with an answer.
I would try the following ways to find other plein air painters.
I found most of the first Florida painters by going to internet artist message boards and posting on them.
Next: Put up a notice at all the art league/associations meetings in your area of the state, or send out a letter to them.
Put up a notice at your local and area art supply stores.

These should produce some results for you. Once it starts it just runs like a snowball, picking up more and more painters.
Best of luck.
Love,
Linda

CarlyHardy
05-06-2002, 11:27 PM
Linda, I just wanted to let you know what a great job you and David have done with Plein Air Florida...I know others have had a hand in its development, but your vision set things into motion.

I really wish we had some sort of organization like this for Georgia! If its out there...I'll find it!
carly

LarrySeiler
05-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Hhhmmm...our school this year is hosting our conference (eight districts) student art exhibition, which will be about 200 art works. Part of that is finding those capable and involved in the arts to come and judge works and hand out awards.

Turns out that I followed up on a couple names given me by another area art teacher...and one gentleman turns out to be a pharmacist who is quite familiar with my work. In fact, he took a plein air workshop this past summer and talking with him tonight, he is wanting to get together with four or more others to do some painting outdoors this summer.

He also knows some of the wildlife artists that do plein airs on the side....and I guess to make a long story even longer (just kidding) it appears that perhaps doors are opening and that a writing on the proverbial wall so-to-speak is beginning to make a way for things to get started here.

I've had a number of requests to do a couple workshops, and I'm going to have to go about making new contacts for possible hosting of the event (hotels, resorts, etc)...so, three cheers! Hip Hip...Hooray...!

Larry

blondheim12
05-07-2002, 07:09 AM
That is great news Larry. I knew it would happen there too. I have the feeling that it is happening in various ways all over America. I sold two paintings to a woman this weekend whose brother is a well known plein air painter in Charleston SC. I can't remember his name, but she was surprised and delighted to find me and recognised that my work was plein air immediately.

I also read about the group in Birmingham, Al, so we are finally getting somewhere.
Congrats on finding other plein air painters in the frozen North.
Love,
Linda

LarrySeiler
05-07-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by blondheim12
and recognised that my work was plein air immediately.
<snip>
I also read about the group in Birmingham, Al, so we are finally getting somewhere.
Congrats on finding other plein air painters in the frozen North.
Love,
Linda

cool on the sales, Linda...and isn't it amazing? Plein airs do carry that sense of the natural unity of a harmonious light and color, spontaneity of the moment...they do seem to have a certain "look" to them which resonates with the spirit that projects the artist having been there.

Perhaps that is because our lives are compilations of rare chance happenings filled with fleeting glimpses of beauty. The plein air captures something of that fleeting moment that a photograph does not, which then the human spirit relates to.

Larry

Brie
05-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by blondheim12
Put up a notice at all the art league/associations meetings in your area of the state, or send out a letter to them.
Put up a notice at your local and area art supply stores.

I'd also suggest that you ask your city to include mention of your group and its events in its newsletters, web site, events calendars, etc. Same for the local paper. I used to do publicity for a local art group, and we used both of these avenues to advantage.

Also, why not write up a brief story about your fledgling group and see whether a local paper will run it. I was surprised to learn how approachable newspapers can be. They are always in need of material, and something a little offbeat (Plein aire painters put brush to City) is often very welcome. If you include contact information, you'll get inquiries.

Finally, don't hesitate to approach your city for grants and/or funding, and/or permission to use a public building for your organizational meetings, or to paint at a city historic site. All these things can be do-able. - Brie

nancymae
05-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Larry,

Don't forget that I am interested in coming to the plein-aire events that you are setting up. Also, I would be interested in taking a workshop in plein-aire painting if you are going to offer one!!

Love your work...as always!!

Nancy

LarrySeiler
05-07-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by nancymae
Don't forget that I am interested in coming to the plein-aire events that you are setting up. Also, I would be interested in taking a workshop in plein-aire painting if you are going to offer one!!
Nancy

sure thing Nancy....and thanks..
I've got your name and email added to a folder labelled Midwest painters...so, when the time comes I'll send you notice, then a flier.

I've had a few asking about a workshop...so, I suppose I best get at it here soon! :cool:

Larry

impressionist2
05-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Linda, Brenda and anyone else who knows,

I checked with Phil levine ( NY Artist) and as far as we know there are no New York Plein Aire Societies. Well !..............this has got to be changed!

So, I have already started asking around and I think there would be a good response to this.

Problem is I haven't the foggiest as to how to establish rules, etc.. In other words, are there any? Is it limited to a certain level of painter or is it open to all? How would I go about forming a board of directors, etc..

I don't want to start anything the wrong way and would rather research it thoroughly first.

Any suggestions?

Renee

brendahofreiter
05-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi Renee,

Wow, where is Linda when you need her? I think that you should check out the Plein Air Painters of America site and Plein Air Florida to get ideas on the rules, etc. of plein air. They have definitions, etc. Good models.

Go for it! And Good Luck!

http://www.p-a-p-a.com (Plein Air Painters of America)

http://www.pleinairflorida.org

Brenda

impressionist2
05-11-2002, 08:09 AM
Brenda, Thank you. I went and looked at the sites.

I like the idea of having the first get together be a "paint out".
Charge a nominal admission fee and award prizes. Hmmm, it has possibilites and I have the town and the harbor.

This town actually leases out the park to groups. I have one of the judges too, the signature PSA that has an interest in the group. Plus, Phil would make a great judge.

I need a board of directors and Phil Levine ( NY Artist ) has already expressed an interest. I think I will start a thread on WC to this effect and see what happens.

Renee

Brie wrote: "Also, why not write up a brief story about your fledgling group and see whether a local paper will run it. I was surprised to learn how approachable newspapers can be. They are always in need of material, and something a little offbeat (Plein aire painters put brush to City) is often very welcome. If you include contact information, you'll get inquiries."

This is so true, Brie. I have had two full length articles written about me in the local newspaper. Once in '97 when my portrait of Don Mattingly was presented to him at his NY Yankee Retirement dinner. My husband , son and I got to go. They met all their Yankee idols!

The other when I first got accepted into Gallery North in '98, the gallery that shows my plein aires.

Who was I? No big deal but they ran the nicest articles and it reached 30,000 local potential clients. You are right. They are always looking for "news".

blondheim12
05-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry it took me awhile to respond to your question about forming plein air associations.

Since David Johnson and I founded Plein Air Florida, we decided that we were not going to fall into the trap of elitism and snobbery that is so prevalent in some of the other plein air groups. We require nothing of our group members except the basic definition of plein air painting, that the painting must be done on location except for minor tweaking in the studio, or completely on location. We don't care whether members have BFA or MFA, or how many years they have been painting, or pro or hobbiest. We have about 50-50 on pros and non pros so it is a nice diverse group, like minded in their desires to paint on location and show good work. PAF is an umbrella for about 6 different groups in Florida. Each group makes their own organization and handles their own affairs. We are not in the business of dictating to them, how they run individual groups. We have no board of directors, no large meetings, no dues, only a $30 fee for having your own page on our website.
PAF is a support organization for individuals and groups of painters in the South.

In other words we leave our egos at the door. We have nationally recognised painters painting beside beginners. It is a nice system.

We have an email system that I run. I send out paint out info, info about supplies,equipment framing, interesting websites, etc. Members send me their professional news relating to PAP, exhibitions, awards, etc. We have different groups who sponsor paint outs in their area. We have other organizations who sponsor Invitationals. Those events are usually for professionals but not always.

There is room for everyone in our group.
I hope this helps you.
Love,
Linda

TinaLee
05-20-2002, 01:59 PM
I really wish we had some sort of organization like this for Georgia! If its out there...I'll find it! Carly

I went to an opening reception at a Buckhead gallery on Saturday night, and ran across an artist (Martha Bator) who is associated with the Plein Air Painters of Georgia. I hadn't heard of them before, and have been searching for a plein air group in this area. Anyone heard of them? I'd love to find one that I could participate in!

Tina

impressionist2
05-20-2002, 10:59 PM
Linda, thanks for all your advice. In a way I am starting to see why New York still doesn't have a plein aire society. It's like trying to get the committee for the high school reunion together. Nobody really wants to get involved.

This balloon is starting to get a little leaden. So far, the only enthusiastic person other than myself is Phil Levine.

Renee

blondheim12
05-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Don't give up Renee!!!!
Keep looking.

Tina,
I would like to have any info you get on the Georgia Plein Air Groups.
Love,
Linda

impressionist2
05-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Linda, Thanks. Until then, I guess New York will continue to be the one state with lots of plein air painters and no society.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon this new group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/plein_aire/

joined it, and wound up getting Widow's Watch spotlighted as the painting of the month.

The group is new, active and a lot of fun.

Renee

Brie
05-29-2002, 02:39 PM
Renee,

I joined the Yahoo! plein aire group and it looks great so far. Thank you for posting the reference. That list and this forum seem to be good complements; it's nice to have them both.

Congratulations on that featured painting, also! I'm impressed! - Brie

impressionist2
05-29-2002, 09:32 PM
Brie, So glad you joined. I hope others from WC will do so as well.

They are a nice group of people and Jacq the moderator, is planning events for paintouts, etc..

The list is active, so between IPAP and WC we have a lot of nice art buddies to chat with.

Renee

blondheim12
05-29-2002, 11:02 PM
Renee,
I have never been able to get signed up on a yahoo newsgroup. They won't send me the verification code for the email address.
I tried but it just doesn't work. I can't figure out how to read the posts from your newsgroup.

Well, I finally figured it out and joined your group Renee.
Thanks,
Linda

LDianeJohnson
06-06-2002, 08:36 PM
Hi All,

On my way out to do a workshop... but wanted to add a post here at WC before I go. (Not enough hours in a day -- and could stay here non-stop ;)

Anyway, I noticed this particular thread and thought I'd add a few words. All the URL's posted so far are great, not many more groups available -- but more are on the way.

A year ago, I was approached by someone who was attempting to start the PAPOS (love all the letters in we have to keep up with ;) "Plein Air Painters of the South" (my contribution was going to be working on the Web site.) Much planning had been done up to that time, in the hopes of getting the organization going. But alas, as with any group, many hands are needed.

There has recently been some renewed interest. If anyone is seriously interested in helping to launch such a group please let me know. I'll email you the address so as not to bombard the individual who has done so much already. I'll be back by June 16th, and will respond to any replies at that time.

Meanwhile, Linda, Larry, Renee, and many others of you who are already participating in organizations, keep up the good work. Perpetuating and nuturing the tradition of plein air painting will take ALL of us working silently as well as publicly, long-term.

Keep on paintin' !

All the Best,
Diane

impressionist2
06-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Diane, That's great to hear. I spoke too soon when I said that New York would go wanting as it has in the past with no society for it's many plein air painters.

Looks like we may make it after all.

We are growing. I just got the wonderful artist, Howard Rose to sign on as our third founder and the Woodstock school's instructor Mary Anna Goetz has expressed a real interest in the paintouts. We're on our way.

http://NYSPleinAirPainters.homestead.com/pleinair.html

New York State Plein Air needs Founders right now. We have three and need seven more. Please contact me at: impressionist2@hotmail.com if you are a New York Pleinairst and want to help create what will be a wonderful group.

Renee

impressionist2
08-01-2002, 09:40 PM
New York Plein Air Painters Society ( NYPAPS) is happy to announce we are now accepting new members. Link below. Renee

ramjo
08-19-2002, 01:30 PM
anyone know if theres a plein air group in dallas area? pls let me know i want to join.

impressionist2
09-18-2002, 08:12 AM
I know some of you were looking for this link. Don't know if you finally found it, but if not, here it is:
http://www.midatlanticpleinairpainters.org

I have been busy in the oil forum with figurative work, but I see you are all painting away plein air. I miss you guys. I'll return when the paintings are done.

NYPAPS is growing slowly but surely. The announcements will come out soon in the art league newsletters on Long Island and Gavin and Ted are busy marketing the NYC and Upstate chapters.

Renee

LarrySeiler
09-18-2002, 09:27 AM
I like the real simple layout of this group's site too, Renee, which gives me ideas.

It might prove easier for me to put a fire under a few artists here in the Midwest to get such a group together.

Since I can get a website hosted for about $10 per month, I could intially request an annual member's fee of $10 roughly, and use that to pay for our internet hosting. Or something or other to that affect. Wonder if Scott here would host such a group online for that matter?

Larry

meowmeow
12-05-2002, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know of a group in the north of Boston suburban area. Malden, Medford, Melrose, Wakefield, etc. ?
Thanks!

Sandy

Deb McLaren
06-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Here's my two cents...I live in Mystic, Connecticut, am fairly new to the area and just getting established. I would love to be part of a plein air group if anyone knows of anything in my area please let me know.

TPS
06-24-2003, 02:37 PM
This following link is to a site of an artist that says he is the current president of the Connecticut Plein Air Painters Society. Perhaps you can write to him.

CPAPS (http://www.pleinairpair.com/davidbio.htm)

And this site which appears to be the same folks, only it lists events and photos of paintouts.

Plein Air Duo (http://www.pleinairpair.com/)

I could not find a website for the group however.

TPS
06-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Check with the North Shore Art Association. NSAA (http://www.northshoreartsassoc.org/)

A trip to Gloucester or Rockport should prove enlightening. They would likely know of painters or groups nearer to you.

bcraver
06-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Here in Juneau, several of us have been going out painting on Saturday mornings for the past three years. You can see more at www.bcraver.com by following the link to the Plein Rein Painters.

I haven't updated the site for more than a year now, but we have developed an "identity" here. Last October eight of us (and four sisters of painters) all went to Italy, and we currently have a show at the local Art's Council gallery called: Plein Rein Travels to Italy.

Meeting at a local restaurant for our starting point gets us a few new members just by luck, and the shows have made people aware of us. We have no membership, fee or criteria - but I think if I can get a group going in a town of 30,000 in a fairly unfriendly climate - anyone can. You will meet some great people and wonderful artists!

If you are ever in Juneau, please come!

Deb McLaren
06-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks TPS, I will check it out.

R. Stem
12-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know of a plein aire group in the northwest? I live in Montana and would really like to get together with other artists for paint outs ect. or just other artists that would like to get together to paint.

Bob

pinkbubelz
01-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Just curious, are there any plein aire painting groups in Michigan (particularly around the Metro Detroit Area?)

--Iris

surfer
01-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Hi gang

I, too, am a member of National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters that Larry spoke of.

A friend and I started a KOPA, Kauai Outdoor Painters Association, here in Hawaii. We have about 30 members now and paint out every third Saturday of the month, conduct evening life drawing/painting about twice per month and have an abundance of fun together. We bring outstanding artists here to conduct workshops as well. Check the schedule for the year.

Currently we are working on a Society that is statewide with a few of the best plein air painters from each of the Hawaiian Islands. We will meet on different isles and have a paint out and then exhibit on that island those works done by the society members........ Exciting....Keep painting.

Happy New Year

2004 Schedule

Ian Roberts February 12-15, 2004 $475
Ken Auster April 2-4, 2004 $425
Jeff Horn June 11-13, 2004 $425
Ray Roberts August 5-8, 2004 $475
Peggi Kroll August 12-15, 2004 $475
Randall Sexton September 23-26, 2004 $475
George Strickland November (4-7), 2004 $475

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

websites

Ian Roberts (http://www.atelier-saintluc.com/pleinair.htm)
Ken Auster (http://www.kenauster.com)
Jeff Horn (http://hornart.com) Peggy Kroll & Ray Roberts (http://www.krollroberts.com)

(http://www.johnpence.com/visuals/painters/sexton/) Randall Sexton (http://216.149.93.1/ArtistPage.asp?varID=28)
George Strickland (http://216.149.93.1/ArtistPage.asp?varID=28)

Warm alohas

Pierre

Deb McLaren
01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
I've been on workshops with Ian Roberts in Provence, France, and it was wonderful! He's a great artist and warm and caring teacher, I highly recommend his workshop! I wish I could attend the February one, but I just got back from a month in Costa Rica...

Yorky
01-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Anyone living in the North West should consider the Ormskirk Artists. Aside from monthly meetings and exhibitions in the winter, we have weekly plein air afternoons in the summer when all media are welcome.

Pm me if you are interested in joining.

Doug from Ormkskirk UK.

JamieWG
03-12-2004, 11:40 AM
We have a very active group of plein air painters in the lower Hudson Valley. We paint mostly in Westchester and Putnam counties, but have members from Connecticut and Rockland too. If any of you are in the area and would like to paint with us, send me a PM.

Jamie

portfauxlio
03-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Maine, Acadia National Park area. The APAG - Acadia Plein Air Group meets every Monday throughout the year. This is our third year. Guests to our island are always welcome to join us. Website (which needs updating): http://portfauxliogallery.homestead.com/homepage.html

Also the IPAP - International Plein Air Painters site is: http://IPAP.homestead.com

just dave
03-24-2004, 02:47 PM
The link for the Mid Atlantic Plein Air Painters, http://www.midatlanticpleinairpainters.org
is not right; that website is for the "EquiPedic® Saddle Pad" for horses!

LeeHaber
04-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi Larry, I agree about PAPA, I don't think there is a member East if the Mississippi. It's incestuous. They sometimes paint on the East Coast but don't seem to recognize the many talented artists here. Last summer I ran into some of their members in Central Park ( painting for the new book..."Sea to Shining Sea") and wondered why NY artists were not represented. Lee

LarrySeiler
04-18-2004, 12:16 PM
There are many fine artists in PAPA...and I'm not knocking them or their talents....but I admit they are in a fine position of advantage over many of the rest of us. The mechanism for advantage being the perception of the public and the pre-existence of popular art magazines that perpetuated the motion of that perception still farther.

Oh..you paint plein air? That's nice. Are you familiar with any of the Californian plein air painters?

Again...that's not a blight on the PAPA's talent...for it is well deserved, but so do many fine painters deserve recognition throughout many areas of the country..and world for that matter. It will come in time.

Its perhaps not the painters of the West coast's fault for taking advantage of their good marketing position either. I imagine most of us would.

It compares to the wildlife art genre machine that had a good run in the art business for near 20 years or so. People had less aesthetic capabilities to determine the excellence of a work of art, and relied more upon the artist's bio reiterating a string of successes. This necessary string set in motion a very competitive determination for the artist. The public would look over your work...but their inevitable question would be, "have you won any duck stamp contests?" or other (insert trout for duck, or turkey etc; )

How many prints you had out.

Even the more modern contemporary fine art world that criticized wildlife art as selling out has reverted to similar impressionable means to coax the public into becoming patrons to move art. One needs now to validate having their work included into their gallery by having a "Curricula Vitae"....which is the impressive replacement word for "bio"...and it should show only the most impressive galleries and exhibitions you've been part of, and most strategically what important persons own your work?

Well...to play that stupid game just to add it to their vitae artists are donating works to governors, senators, prominent public personalities and so forth. Same ole same ole, but different pants to be worn.

They say whatever is "in" on the west coast takes about eight years before it gets here (Wisconsin or the northern midwest). Don't know if that is always true or a goofy stereotype/generalization but we will work hard as if that is so and do our part to raise awareness of what great talents do lie toward this side of the country!

Larry

Marc Hanson
04-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi Larry, I agree about PAPA, I don't think there is a member East if the Mississippi. It's incestuous. They sometimes paint on the East Coast but don't seem to recognize the many talented artists here. Last summer I ran into some of their members in Central Park ( painting for the new book..."Sea to Shining Sea") and wondered why NY artists were not represented. Lee
I agree. I was wondering about that book too Lee. Should have been called 'Western Artists Painting Sea to Shining Sea'. Those of us in the midwest have long understood that We are just the part of the country that is flown over as you go from one coast to the other.

Two Minnesotans, Brian Stewart and Joe Paquet are members but they were in on the founding of the group and that's been it since. Don't know how that came about, but besides them, Scott Burdick in NC, and that's about it.

Here's the good part(not to be mean), I have heard from some galleries that I am involved with that there is SO much of that 'California' stuff now that they are very interested in work with a 'different' look, meaning landscape from mid-continent and east. Our day is coming, this is a big country and we tend to 'wear out' the popular pretty quick.

JamieWG
04-18-2004, 12:36 PM
OMG, Lee! That article I was describing to you from the new American Artist mag issue is called Painting America from Sea to Shining Sea! These are the artists who were selected, that you're talking about! 47 artists in a show that will be touring for three years.

Jamie

LDianeJohnson
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Hi Friends,

Just a quick note about the PAPA...Scott Burdick is a member, and resides in NC.

All the Best,
Diane

atrox
05-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi folks, I see that ramjo posted way back in 2002 looking for a plein air group in the Dallas Texas area. I didn't see any response so, I'll ask again since I'm looking for one (or anyone individual interested) as well.

raindreemer
06-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know of a plein aire group in the northwest? I live in Montana and would really like to get together with other artists for paint outs ect. or just other artists that would like to get together to paint.

Bob

Bob I'm a neighbor to the south - Wyoming. I'm new to plein aire and the groups and so forth but after reading this thread I'm really suprised that your's was the only mention of the Rocky Mountain region. There's got to be something out here.

AJ

Proudhawk
06-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Okay, Larry. That's it. I've heard enough. You've got to get over this thing you have against California. :)
And to help you to do that, you are hereby invited to our beautiful state (at your expense, of course) :) at your earliest convenience. Laguna Beach, Mojave Desert, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino Mountains, the arroyos of Pasadena, San Jaun Capistrano Mission, it would be tough but, if one wanted to, one could paint at each of these beautiful locations in the same day. Got two or three days? Try Monterrey, Sequoia National Forest, the Sierra backcountry where you'll find a little place called Yosemite. And that's just scratching the surface. I haven't even gotten to The Ansel Adams Wilderness, The John Muir Trail, The Pacific Crest Trail, or Death Valley, yet. My point is that there is a reason why the plein air scene is so often associated with California. None of this is meant to diminish the importance of works from other regions of the country but, come on, wouldn't you like to paint here? If the answer is yes, you've got a place to stay. I've got a nice home with extra bedrooms and we're right on the edge of the Angeles Forest. I wrote the first part of this in jest but, if you're ever in Southern Cal. the offer is sincere.

Proudhawk

LarrySeiler
06-10-2004, 11:20 PM
nothing against beautiful places to paint, and thanks for the generous invite!

That's my point. I have NOTHING against beautiful places to paint. Evidently though, OUR beautiful places to paint are not to be taken serious nor in the same league as others.

I'd love to travel and paint all over the place. Perhaps one day. Northern Wisconsin...northern Minnesota and upper Michigan are very sparsely populated, not yet being over run with multi million dollar homes and among the few yet pristine naturally wild places to experience. I think one day...the northern midwest will be understood as one of the great places to experience.

Speaking of that...I had a Renaissance awakening as the state of New York was concerned. For many of us...our understanding of New York comes from violence in movies, cop shows and such...but a number of years ago I traveled to take in a week seminar in upstate (northern) New York. Wow...even just an hour north of the Big Apple what beautiful area.

I did NTC training in the Navy in San Diego 30 years ago...visiting various areas of California. Yes...a good many beautiful areas. Shouldn't define who is a serious painter worthy of acknowledging though. Btw...I do believe we are slowly seeing that perception beginning to change.

Appreciate the kind invitation. Who knows....? Perhaps one day! thanks Proudhawk!!!

Larry

bcraver
06-22-2004, 02:30 PM
Plein Rein Painters in Juneau, Alaska has its own website now: www.pleinrein.org We are open to anyone who is interested in getting out and painting! Come on up sometime!

mallory
08-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Susie Short is in the process of organizing a regional Plein Air Group. She is starting with a Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pnwplein-airepainters/ . If you live out my way, you might check it out.

mallory

loriputnam
08-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Over here in rolling, rural Tennessee we have a little group of 92. The Chestnut Group, plein air painters for the land, is set up as a non-profit with a charter and everything. We have paint outs and part of the proceeds go to a land conservationist group. (no cad killing our cows). If you'd like to see our site it is at www.chestnutgroup.org. We have a big paint out scheduled for Sept. 20-24.

NHyde
09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
There is a Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters group: http://www.lochvalefineart.com/ , (go to appropriate link once on the page).

My husband Wes was just in this show. A great group of artists!

Cheers eh,
Nicole

deLYNNEation
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
I had the big pleasure of seeing the very special Plein Air exhibit "From Sea to Shining Sea" twice this past summer at the Haggin Museum in Stockton, CA.

This special touring exhibit features the landscapes of America, by American artists from all over the country. The next stop is College Station, Texas in Jan., 2005, then on to Lubbock, Texas. The tour winds all over the country for the next few years . . . don't miss this excellent opportunity if you get the chance!

It was a delight to see the work of such artists as Nancy Bush of Texas, whose work I've seen in magazines but this was the first time I've seen 'in real life'. Another that I really enjoyed were the HUGE watercolor portraits of Mary Whyte of Johns Island, SC. Billy O'Donnell of Missouri was another (new) favorite (now I look for his work in the magazines) and so was Jason Bouldin of Oxford, Mississippi.

The artists who participated can be located here:

Sea To Shining Sea - Participants and Tour Schedule (http://www.hagginmuseum.org/)

If you click on 'Smith Kramer Fine Art Services', then click on 'Tour Schedule' you'll get the dates and locations for the tour.

At the Haggin, the exhibit was divided into plein air work (lots of American flags sprinkled throughout the work as it was in response partly to 9/11/01) and the other work exhibited were studio paintings - portraits by Scott Burdick, etc. etc.

EXCELLENT . . . I loved seeing the brushstrokes and high gloss excitement of this exhibit!!

deLYNNEation
11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
P.S. To use the link for the "Sea to Shining Sea" exhibit in my previous message, click on 'Exhibits', then scroll to bottom, then 'Past Exhibits' and follow the previously posted directions . . .

gordonartist
11-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Perhaps there could be an En Plaine Aire Artists of the World to include us odd characters from across the world.

Take care.

Gordon.

AEvans
01-09-2005, 11:50 AM
I just joined this site and would like to mention that there is a very active plein air group in the Piedmont area of North Carolina ( Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Chapel Hill area), "Piedmont Outdoor Painting Society", P.O.P.S. It is a juried group of about 15 members who meet at speciifed locations twice a week year-round.They have "open paint-outs" once a month for anyone who wants to paint out. There is a show of work at the Center for Creative Leadership in Greensboro, NC opening this month. This organization has been painting on Piedmont Land Conservancy/Trust lands for the past year and will have a show of that work in the fall of 2005 in High Point, NC. The group hopes to have a website soon. I am a member even though I recently moved to CO., I still maintain a studio in NC.

seanmcmills
01-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Don't forget the Southern California Plein Air Painters Association. I haven't painted with them yet, but look forward to it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here's a link:
www.socalpapa.com (http://www.socalpapa.com/artistslinks.htm)

All the best!

only1tomb
01-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I just joined this site and would like to mention that there is a very active plein air group in the Piedmont area of North Carolina ( Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Chapel Hill area), "Piedmont Outdoor Painting Society", P.O.P.S. It is a juried group of about 15 members who meet at speciifed locations twice a week year-round.They have "open paint-outs" once a month for anyone who wants to paint out. There is a show of work at the Center for Creative Leadership in Greensboro, NC opening this month. This organization has been painting on Piedmont Land Conservancy/Trust lands for the past year and will have a show of that work in the fall of 2005 in High Point, NC. The group hopes to have a website soon. I am a member even though I recently moved to CO., I still maintain a studio in NC.

AEvans,
Do you know what ways i can get more info on their paint outs?
I live in Va and would make a trip down there just to get my brush wet, i am always looking for new folks to paint with :)

Thanks
Tom B

AEvans
01-25-2005, 10:46 PM
The group regularly schedules open paint -outs and you can contact Addren Doss, who e-mails the schedule though e-mail: addrendesigns@aol.com. We hope to have a website in operation by this Spring.

shannonsart
01-19-2006, 07:33 AM
http://www.inpainters.org/IPAPAlogo.gif
P.O. Box 551075, Indianapolis, IN 46205
Telephone: 317-508-0667
Email: inpleinair@yahoo.com
http://www.inpainters.org/ (http://www.inpainters.org/)
They also have a book with a Plein air painting of every county in Indiana that is just wonderful.
I belong to Indiana Plein air painters and they are a marvelous group of dedicated and talented artist.

painter318
03-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Does anyone know of any plein air groups in the Houston/Clear Lake area?

Katherine T
04-19-2006, 05:35 AM
This post on my blog site provides a listing of all the plein air organisations (http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2006/04/plein-air-painting-organisations.html) I could find on the internet through using various search engines - and through the links pages of all those listed.

I'm not claiming it's comprehensive - but it's certainly longer than any of the lists I found on any of the sites listed.

If people would like I can reproduce the list here - although it repeats a number of the ones already listed.

MChesleyJohnson
04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
If you paint in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Downeast Maine, come join Plein Air Painters of the Bay of Fundy! There is no application fee at this time. For an application, go to http://www.pleinairfundy.org

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2006/3644-logo.jpg

BermudaArt
04-30-2006, 02:38 PM
For anyone visiting Bermuda there is the PAPB, a loosely knit group of avid painters. Sessions are usually held on Sunday mornings, although not on a regular basis. If anyone is interested in joining us please let me know via PM here and I will let you know what the schedule is for the time you are here. A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of two visitors from MA painting with us. I happened to see them the day before painting on the side of the road so I stopped and mentioned where we all will be the next day. So ... don't come to Bermuda without your 'stuff'!

clouds
05-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Are There any Plein air Painters in the portland oregon area that would like to form a group?

Ruth
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
For coastal SC and NC

I've recently formed a group called PALS (Plein Air Landscape Society) for the Grand Strand area including Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet, Surfside, Conway, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, and Little River in SC; and Calabash, Oak Island, Ocean Isle, and Shallotte in NC. The website is a yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PALSpainters. To join, e-mail me at coxrc@yahoo.com. This is a very new group and we haven't got an organized schedule yet, but anyone can post a notice of a get-together at any time.

Ruth

Potoma
06-14-2006, 12:16 AM
I want to mention a way I have begun finding fellow plein air artists, although we are not organized.

I posted a query on my area's Craig's List in the artist section and now have sessions lined up. There are CL websites for many, many cities.

www.craigslist.org

Northlightpainter
08-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Just recently I formed a group called PAPNJH, The Plein Air Painters of the New Jersey Highlands. We are a small but growing group of artists who live and paint in the NJ Highlands. Each Sunday morning we meet at a predetermined site to paint. We will be hosting an open paint out in Cold Spring, NY sometime in October, 2006. The final details will be available shortly and will be posted on the PAPNJH site.

zheni
08-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Hello! Any plein aire painters in the Pittsburgh area? I'd love to join a group in Western PA or West Virginia.

anita
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
HI
I was browsing through Wetcanvas and someone was interested in an art group in the Atlanta area. I am part of a group who meets together weekly near the Mall of GA.
If you know of someone who's interested in painting with a group,let me know. We meet every Wed.We paint together, have critique then go to lunch..Lots of fun.No charge to join .Just donations requested for utilities..
We have even started showing our work in group shows.Like the one we have going on now at Mercer University..Reception this Sat.,3-5 pm.Take down is Sept 30th..:thumbsup:

TaraM
04-21-2007, 11:02 PM
I'd love to know if there were a group of Plien Air painters in Ontario, Canada. Especially if they like painting in/around the provincial parks. I have a fondness for paintings of trees lakes and canoes ;)

DLGardner
04-30-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm the webmaster for Plein Air Washington.
http://www.pleinairwashington.com

Got a wonderful paint out in the San Juan Islands coming up.

Dianne

RedEquus
05-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I joined the Connecticut Plein Air Painters Society last year. There are about 200 members in this organization. Paint outs located in Connectiuct are planned during the spring, summer and fall. They have a member show every year which is very impressive. You need not be a resident of Connecticut to be a member or make a "pilgrimage" to CT to satisfy membership. :cool:

Here's their website for those who are interested.
http://www.cpaps.org

Personally, I think it would be wonderful if there were regional plein air societies throughout the USA as well as national and international groups. :thumbsup: Smaller groups could then affiliate with the regional groups and the regional groups with the national groups similar to the pastel societies.

Hey the more crazy outdoor painters there are, the merrier. Who knows there may more of us than we think!!:eek:

Janice

beejw
06-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Recently we've started a plein air blog for Southern painters at www.southernpleinairpainters.blogspot.com. Feel free to visit. Contact info is available on the blog.