MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-16-2004/45754_following.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Following
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
comments welcome

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
thanks for looking

earthbot1
11-16-2004, 01:53 PM
the atmosphere works tremendously for this one.

Frida200
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
Oooooh! I like this! Very much. Traffic - how did you turn such an ugly thing into a beautiful painting?!? Wow.
Is it raining there? Looks like rain. Or mist. No, rain...

Great great great! :clap:

Claudia

Gilberte
11-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, you're certainly talented as to perspective ....... o n the road, on the cars. Great !

Mikey
11-16-2004, 02:47 PM
The traffic has come to a sudden halt with all those wonderful reds set in subtle colours.

Mikey

Artistanne
11-16-2004, 06:16 PM
earthbot1: It was a very foggy, drizzly day--I had to use restraint with my palette (which is TOUGH for me!) so as not to lose the atomospheric feel--glad I managed to keep it

Frida: I love "playing" in traffic :)

gilberte: What's perspective? :confused: :)

Really though, I don't think too much about perspective or else I get a headache, I just think in terms of shapes that I see and hope that they come together the way they are supposed to.

Mikey: Thanks for looking. :)

Tamana
11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I love "playing" in traffic

I used to tell my little brothers to go play in it when they bugged me. ;) Always did like playing "cars" though -- I always got the old jalopy driving by when it was my turn. Oh wait, that's what I'm driving now. Duh! :wink2:

This is really good, Anne. Most would've emphasized the rain even against the pavement (where actually it would blend more). Great call on that -- balances it perfectly as well. The perspective (as Madame Gilberte mentioned) is phenomenal as it places us in the driver's seat "Following" the car in front of us. ;) Ahhh the automated mazes at rush hour -- ain't they grand? ;)

Excellent depiction.

Green means go and red means stop....yellow means press the pedal like hell and go (or that's what I told my driver's ed instructor as a joke (he didn't laugh)). :cool:

Matt Sammekull
11-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Nice going!

Just one thing... you should in my opinion look at the red dabs here and there. They also follow the rules of perspective you know. The red tail light on the car just ahead of the viewer holds the same saturation s the red in the far background. Also the white lines in the street could loose some intensity and clarity as we move up and into the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2004/15549-following.jpg

Do you see the difference?

//matt

Dhuot
11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
Well Matt, I hope I wont be too hard on yourself, But Anne`s wish did NOT allow digi alteration...

Anne, this work is great.
The crazyness of NYC...just can`t wait to be there :clap:

Thanks

Artistanne
11-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks Tam, Matt & Daniel! :)

Matt, I forgive you for touching my painting--I know you had good intentions. :) I'm just a little funny about that. I had a teacher (who was an excellent instructor) once tell me never to let anyone touch my work, she said you learn things better if you have to figure them out for yourself, I guess I agree with her. ;)

As for the reds, etc. I had actually considered this when I was just about finished and decided to leave them the way they are (although I did knock back the white line on the road as it recedes). I prefer the way the painting "feels" with the intense reds throughout. It was a very foggy, misty day and those intense lights just made that feeling come through more for me. I have kind of an odd style that I've developed over the last year or so. I used to do very tight realistic stuff, and now my work is much more painterly and loose/free and I like the direction it's gone in, it's much more expressive, so I don't worry about being technically correct all the time. But thanks for looking and for the input. :)

Dhuot
11-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Anne, you had a good teacher.

I had once, a drawing teacher, she was funny and direct, and she gave this advice once, that I never forgot.

" Don`t over-do-it Daniel........." and then she laught

Well, I am sure that you " use " this advice huh ??

It feels, in your painting, that you know where and when to stop.

Bravo :wave:

Artistanne
11-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes, you had a good teacher too Daniel! Thank you. :wave:

Gilberte
11-17-2004, 03:48 AM
Hi Artistanne,

Just noticed Matt also used the word "perspective" :) ... meaning of course, the vanishing points, the lines on the road, the sides. You seem to apply the rules without realising it ... Bravo ! :wave:

Matt Sammekull
11-17-2004, 03:56 AM
I beg your pardon, as I didn't notice your request. It wont happen again.

//m

Artistanne
11-17-2004, 08:16 AM
I beg your pardon, as I didn't notice your request. It wont happen again.

//m

No problem Matt! :wave:

Gilberte: I studied graphics and industrial design in college where the "rules" of perspective, color theory, anatomy and other things were drummed into my head repeatedly. I cannot think and paint at the same time--it just doesn't work that way for me. So I just do what I've been doing since I was a little kid, draw what I see/feel (and hope to end up with something that holds together compositionally and has lots of feeling). :)

Frida200
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Anne,

I was thinking of you and your drawing this morning when I drove home after dropping off my kids at school. Rain, grey, cars, lights. Reflections.

First thought: "Following". This IS Anne's drawing. I'm in it, right now.

Second thought: see attachment; it's a painting I liked so much I took a photograph through the window walking by ( in New Orleans, i have no idea where, or who pinted it...I just wanted to show it to you, maybe you like it, too!).

Third thought: I like rainy streets.
They do have something...

:wave:

Have a great day,

Claudia

Pars
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Just wonderful and how on earth did you capture the West Side highway in moving traffic? :evil:

Love the way you've captured it and I see this may be from an old photo or reference cuz the Twins seem present.

Thanks for a lovely car ride!

Artistanne
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Claudia, how cool that you thought of my painting! I love that one you posted from the shop window--I don't know who the artist is either, but I do of course like the subject matter. :)

Zoe, funny but a lot of people think that is the Westside Hwy., it isn't--it's the exit just off the NJ Turnpike leading into the Holland Tunnel. Also interesting that you mention the "twins"--that isn't the WTC, and I was worried that it might appear that way when I was working on it--I even tried to make them look more like a block of buildings.

Oh, and I just take photos from inside my car while driving for reference to get a sense of the view point (it's the only way I can do it without getting myself run over) :) They come out blurry and I don't worry about exposure/lighting, etc., I use them as a very loose point of departure and make up the rest.

Frida200
11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
HA HA HA!!!
Now you got me all wet...

Anne, I am just returning from my own photo shoot out in the rain!
I was driving up and down the streets and taking pictures. I also walked around a store parking lot to get them less blurried and study the reflections a little more... hi hi, the people who were watching my obscure activities on the parking lot think I'm crazy!

BUT I've got some rain pictures. Good!

It must be that rainy sound in addition to your painting from yesterday, but today I really can't get this subject matter out of my head! :D

Artistanne
11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Yes, I'm used to people looking at me like I'm crazy. My husband has suggested to me several times that the nice men from Homeland Security might not understand why I like taking pictures in and around the Holland Tunnel. :eek:

Pars
11-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Zoe, funny but a lot of people think that is the Westside Hwy., it isn't--it's the exit just off the NJ Turnpike leading into the Holland Tunnel. Also interesting that you mention the "twins"--that isn't the WTC, and I was worried that it might appear that way when I was working on it--I even tried to make them look more like a block of buildings.

Oh, and I just take photos from inside my car while driving for reference to get a sense of the view point (it's the only way I can do it without getting myself run over) :) They come out blurry and I don't worry about exposure/lighting, etc., I use them as a very loose point of departure and make up the rest.

You had me totally fooled. It so much looks like the Highway, but then that turn off isn't so much different, I'm thinking. It's a great vantage point and I am so glad you are in the car while taking these photographs. :evil: If you've ever tried taking one of those cross-walks - with a camera, oh, no - they are so dangerous.

And wherever it is, it sure is a good painting. Thanks for sharing it with us.

sugar tree gal
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Anne, this is just so GOOD! the fog,drizzle.. whatever.. I love scenes like this and I have looked at your site..they are good..and the fabric in your painting are the best I think I have seen... :) Janice

Artistanne
11-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Well thanks very much Janice! I'm glad you like my work and took the time to visit my site. :) I used to do a LOT of fabric studies, they're fun.