PDA

View Full Version : Competition question

artdreamer1
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey everybody,

Not sure if this has been asked before--just curious. There are so many EXTREMELY talented artists here--Are competitions(such as the Artists Magazine puts on) high on your list of "things to do" with your artwork or do they not interest you (somewhat or totally)? I'm sorta surprised that I don't see much mentioned about people entering/winning competitions as I feel that soooo much of the art I see here is of such excellent quality! Lately, it seems, there not much to nit pick about the posts--they're just so good! Thanks for answering--like I said--just curious. Btw... As soon as I can(feel qualified/good enough), I plan to do just that--I hoping to have something maybe next year. A girl can dream, can't she? :evil: :) I know it's probably unrealistic(esp. for me) but, if I don't try, I'll always wonder--just my personal opinion.

Michele :wave:

amaze_1101
11-16-2004, 12:13 PM
Hey everybody,

Not sure if this has been asked before--just curious. There are so many EXTREMELY talented artists here--Are competitions(such as the Artists Magazine puts on) high on your list of "things to do" with your artwork or do they not interest you (somewhat or totally)? I'm sorta surprised that I don't see much mentioned about people entering/winning competitions as I feel that soooo much of the art I see here is of such excellent quality! Lately, it seems, there not much to nit pick about the posts--they're just so good! Thanks for answering--like I said--just curious. Btw... As soon as I can(feel qualified/good enough), I plan to do just that--I hoping to have something maybe next year. A girl can dream, can't she? :evil: :) I know it's probably unrealistic(esp. for me) but, if I don't try, I'll always wonder--just my personal opinion.

Michele :wave:

Well I'm way too self critical Michelle. I doubt I would ever enter anything of mine into a competition. I get the Australian artists magazine and I look longingly at their monthly competitions but I only have to see the calibre of the previous months entries to know I'm nowhere good enough to enter. But I keep painting and you never know, one day I might strike it lucky and feel bold enough to enter something. What others enter does inspire me to paint though and that's got to be a good thing.

:wave:

Flattwo
11-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Hello

I have never entered a competition in my painting career, I think I have a deep mistrust of judges qualifications to judge and their motives for choosing the winners, but, I am a cynic!

Henry

GOwenStudios
11-16-2004, 11:27 PM
I have entered local competitions but not ones like the Artist's Magazine yet. One thing I have learned over the years is that you cannot judge your work against another's or you will never show. Do a painting and place it in the show and see what happens. Who knows you may win! All of us as artists are growing even the professionals who have been at it for years. If we aren't growing we are not doing! Above all we must dream and work to achieve that dream. So, if it is your dream to show your artwork, then do so. You will never feel complete until you do. :)

mr sandbanx
11-16-2004, 11:42 PM
I think competition art is somewhat oxymoronic, although perhaps Elaine can speak better to that? :evil:

artdreamer1
11-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks to all who replied--seems like most people either do their art for themselves(or friends/relatives) or for selling purposes (or maybe both). After reading these posts, it got me thinking more about it--think that I've decided to continue doing my artwork more for myself (and as gifts) than for anything else. Not sure when/if that will ever change but, one thing's for sure. I sure am glad that I found this site--it's been so inspiring seeing all the great posts and reading all the information that is provided. Can't help but see improvement in my painting after gaining so much knowledge here. Again, thanks for the "reality-check". I'll just keep on painting and see what happens...

Michele

juneto
11-17-2004, 12:01 AM
They probably do enter, but don't talk about it unless they don't it in or out of Humility or shyness if they do get in, That's how I feel about it. My husband and I haved argued about it for years He thinks Artists SHOULD toot their own horn, PR ,he says is what you need to be a successful artist . I don't, I say Talent will prevail. My 2 Cents.

June :wave:

Rod
11-17-2004, 05:14 AM
I think you should always paint to please yourself.

I do enter local exhibitions , but avoid the magazine ones because they usually require a slide photo of your art. There are the odd ones that accept digital images but not many.

Rod.

Europa
11-17-2004, 05:50 AM
I have only ever entered one and that was Not The Turner Prize - talk about misplaced confidence with that....LOL. I don't really think when I paint about entering any of my stuff in a competition - maybe some day I will.

I have entered lots of poetry competitions and had a few published but then again I have been writing poetry for over 30 yrs so maybe in another 30 yrs I may enter a painting competition ......LOL.

Pat

laudesan
11-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I was just recently told that if you want to be known, you have to enter competitions..

It doesn't matter if you win or not, altho' winning is a nice feeling, just get your work out there I was told and then maybe I will start selling.. Join as many clubs as you can too!! :)

I did enter one competition about 6 months ago. Autumn favourites it was called. I painted specific Autumn themes like I was told to, and the winner.........

A lovely boat scene. Nothing at all to do with Autumn..

Go figure????

Fagan
11-17-2004, 07:52 AM
I recently entered (for the first time) an international competition. Talk about your glutton for punishment!!! aiieee...........*sigh*. International Artist magazine had a competition for landscapes. I decided "what the heck" I will just try it. IF YOU DON'T TRY....you will never win.

I did a poll here a couple of weeks ago to help me select a watercolor landscape to enter. I used two of those and added two more. It cost me $25.00 per painting to have slides made (a local photographer). It cost $7.00 for each entry. The total cost was $128.00.
I have three more sets of slides I can use for other competitions if I want to try again. *LOL*

I just sold one of the entries. If I should be lucky enough to win....That will probably be the one that wins the competition. :rolleyes: