PDA

View Full Version : A Musicians Dream - WIP

Mikey
11-15-2004, 08:46 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-15-2004/28043_Musician_photo.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: A Musicians Dream
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40 x 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ha, ha, ha, I'm going to cheat for this one. But he won't know. This is not a commission, just for me.

What do musicians dream about. I don't know what this guys dreams are, but since he works in a music shop I have to say he isn't rich. I think he's the type who always does he's best and would like to do much better, but a little bit of fame and fortune would help. He's quite a down to earth, very likeable, sensible type.

Oh my oh my, look at the time, I've just noticed, and I've spent all my time sticking this thing together and I could have done the underpainting by now :D

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments, including how dare you cheat.

Mikey

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 09:12 PM
AAHH Scotchtape !!! :)

Mikey
11-15-2004, 09:16 PM
AAHH Scotchtape !!! :)

and a graphite stick. But I will set myself free when I do the actual Burnt Umber with the brush as usual.

Mikey

Mikey
11-15-2004, 10:02 PM
This is my real starting point, so most of this is just positional.

I have to add background figures and things like a drum set to make the composition.

Mikey

Tamana
11-16-2004, 09:53 AM
What do musicians dream about.

Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

-- Lennon

:)

Looking forward to this one, Mikey.

Have a great Tuesday, world of WC!

Mikey
11-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Tam,

This is one painting I felt the need to begin without any more waiting. I can sometimes wait forever but only get the inspiration when I begin. And yes, I'm a dreamer, so maybe a few of my own in here. Lennon was a dreamer too, and a great one. A tough of Bhuddism perhaps, but then what do I know about that.

I'm working on the sisters right now.

Mikey

earthbot1
11-16-2004, 10:23 AM
a nice change of venue...looks to be a challenge. Good start,

Mikey
11-16-2004, 10:44 AM
a nice change of venue...looks to be a challenge. Good start,

It's a chance to get my creativity and imagination back into gear again, with something I haven't quite done before. It will be important if the results point to a new body of work.

Mikey

Mikey
11-16-2004, 05:33 PM
This is what I had in my minds eye. I'm thinking about putting other coloured lights into the background, but don't want any kind of overkill. Less may be more. Maybe just some hints of other lighting on the drummer, balanced elsewhere. I don't think I want a mic.

I think the drummers head looks better than the front musician. Ha ha, I drew him freehand off the ref from the screen.

Mikey

Artistanne
11-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Mikey, I'm just watching and enjoying this one! :)

PS - He looks a little like a guy I used to date! ;)

Mikey
11-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks Anne. I suppose this guy just loves music and handling instruments, but he is obviously much too intelligent for this job. Maybe it helps between gigs.

Mikey

Tamana
11-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Looking great, Mikey.

Matt Sammekull
11-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Mikey Mikey Mikey... - you print 16 pages(!) in full color (ink cartridges are really expensive!), spend the time to tape them together... and then what?
Did you turn those 16 pages into a giant carbon-paper by rubbing charcoal or paint on the backside?

It seems to me that you didn't transfer the image meticulously, so I really wonder why you went through this costly (financially and time-wise) process.

If I were you, I would buy a projector. I recommend Super Prism from Artograph. They really save time for you I tell you. I use it to transfer my drawings, studies or photographs, which are around 6x4", directly on the canvas and then outline the lines I want with ink or paint. I really enjoy the projector as it helps me to work more on my painting before they hit the canvas. It can seem like a huge undertaking to work out, or re-work a composition on a large canvas, but to do so on a small piece of paper, quick drawings of stick figures or more exact renderings isn't quite so intimidating.

Or use the grid method, or finally... at least print it in gray scale!!! :)

Photoshop + A projector = Super tools for us artists!!!!! Anyone who calls it cheating isn't worth listening to in the beginning, so ignore those.

An example:

Here's a sketch, one out of about a dozen, done on a small sketching pad sheet, 6x4.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2004/15549-sketch.jpg

I placed it in the projector and voilą, - after outlining/ re-drawing my sketch, - the lines I wanted, and some under painting I have this on my 36x28" canvas:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Nov-2004/15549-transfer.jpg

I allow means/tools of assistance to help me do the best I can.

Now, I could have painted my motif directly at my canvas, especially such a non-demanding motif such as this one, but then I may run into situations where I need to re-do a lot of work, and I don't like that. I try to do as much work on the painting outside from the canvas as possible.

Anyway... good luck to you and your progress!!!

Rock on!

//matt

Matt Sammekull
11-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Oh and Mikey,

I didn't post that to say "This is my great way of doing it, compared to your lousy way of doing it!" I was just... you know... thinking, and wanted to share my thoughts with you. If you prefer to do it your way, and find the expenses worth it, then go ahead and do it... never mind this stingy Swede. :)

All the best,

//m

Dhuot
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Thanks Anne. I suppose this guy just loves music and handling instruments, but he is obviously much too intelligent for this job. Maybe it helps between gigs.

Mikey

HEY MIKEY.................SAY WHAT ???????????

I am a musician and ain`t stupid :D

kidding :D :D :D

:music: :music: :music:
:music: :music:
:music:
D

Mikey
11-17-2004, 12:36 PM
I really do appreciate your help and advice Matt. I was a bit half hearted with that tracing. I have a funny idea that if an under painting is good then things can get worse. A messy start seems to give me more confidence. A projector would be hand though, and truly those cartidges do cost a small fortune. What is more if one goes, the the printer doesn't work at all.

Hey Daniel, no musician's aren't stupid and neither are most shop assisstants. They just get stupid people's pay. You will be able to tell me if I've got that drum set all wrong. I no nothing, and I'm not kidding. :D

Mikey

stephanf
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
or you could desaturate it....and maybe posterize it for a b and white version to put up...to early to tell where you are going on this one....
as far as that election went....i dont believe for a second the results are actually what we voted for...

hope all is well over there

Mikey
11-17-2004, 04:26 PM
I'll maybe desaturate that blue background with Burnt Umber and have some other colour lights. The lead musician will be spotlight, although I would expect some of the other lights to be in the shadows of his face.

Mikey

Dhuot
11-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey Mikey, the drum set isn`t bad.
The toms coulb be a little bit more tilted towards the drummer and the one on our left , doesn`t seem high enough. ( or the two on our right seems a bit too high)

What are they playing ??
:music:

Mikey
11-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Daniel, yes those drums are too high, because he would be able to reach then very well. I'll make the elipses a lot more shallow. I've got some ref pics of Steve Gadd, but don't want to copy one exactly.

Mikey

Mikey
11-22-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm more concerned establishing tonal values than colour at the moment. The blue to the right of his T shirt is much nearer to black. You'll see I have moved back to my usual method as if I had not prepared the big same size photo.

Mikey

sugar tree gal
11-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Well Mikey, you have me hooked again.... am loving this.. So am looking forward to the next post... :music: :music: Amagine.. :) Janice

Mikey
11-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Janice,

When I've finally finished the Sisters, I'll be able to put some real colour into this one. I've done it mostly at night so far. The tonal values tend to change a lot in electric light as blue becomes a lot darker, reds and yellows generally lighter.

Mikey

Tamana
11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Looking great, Mikey. Still watching here... :wave:

LisaArt
11-23-2004, 04:08 AM
Hi Mikey, What a great idea. I am amazed how you do so many interesting pieces with such ease. Watching closely!

Mikey
11-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks Tam.

Hey Lisa, here's what you do. Smile confidently as if you never had a doubt. Tell yourself that you have all the ability you need until you believe it, then keep on smiling. The quite suddenly everything clicks into place and works for you. The only problem I find is life gets boring if I don't take on something more difficult the next time, so I have to keep on telling myself I can do it. Well smiling never hurt anyone I know and it makes me feel so good.

Mikey :)

Mikey
11-24-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm trying to get back to my acrylics working pace, fast and loose. I am a bit stuck with the colours. The orange seemed right at the time, but I feel the need for other bright colours.

The guitar was one Simon picked up of the rack. In my ignorance I don't know if this Pacifica is a Fender, or Stratacaster clone. It might help if he had something half way to decent, since it called his dream.

Mikey

Gilberte
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
two sisters ...
three brothers ... and a guitar ....... you are on a roll Mikey! Nice of you to share the process .

Mikey
11-24-2004, 10:06 AM
two sisters ...
three brothers ... and a guitar ....... you are on a roll Mikey! Nice of you to share the process .

Thanks Gilberte, I like sharing, even my doubts, although I have the confidence with this one. The doubts make me think before I dash into the slash with the brush.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi ya Mikey :D By any chance can you post a good size photo of the head stock on the guitar? I've asked my resident guitar afficionado to have a look ;)

Hey! Steph popped in I see... where the heck has he been?!

Mikey
11-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the help. Here's two close ups of the photo I've shown earlier. It's only a 7x5 inch print.

Mikey

Michael-Ann
11-24-2004, 05:25 PM
:D Here's the verdict I got...

Fender makes the Stratacaster...and this Yamaha Pacifica is indeed a Stratacaster clone...and he added that Yamaha makes good guitars :)

This is looking good by the way Mr. Mikey!

Mikey
11-24-2004, 05:32 PM
:D Here's the verdict I got...

Fender makes the Stratacaster...and this Yamaha Pacifica is indeed a Stratacaster clone...and he added that Yamaha makes good guitars :)

This is looking good by the way Mr. Mikey!

Please thank Gordy for me.

Mikey

sugar tree gal
11-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Mikey, you are making progress, good luck with the hands, I am really having a hard time with one of mine, and it is suppose to be finished and mailed in time for Christmas.... So much to do ....So little time..... :wave: Janice

Mikey
11-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks Janice. The thing with hands is not just the outlines, but the modelling. The shadows, creases and highlights and the colours therein are crucial. Suggesting the veins is another thing. Anyway after the Bougie hands these should be less difficult.

Mikey

Tamana
11-25-2004, 02:54 AM
I love that shot of that hand. There's just something about the hands (to me) that are as distinquished as an expression or mood. It's the character of their trade.

Mikey
11-25-2004, 06:06 AM
I love that shot of that hand. There's just something about the hands (to me) that are as distinquished as an expression or mood. It's the character of their trade.

I guess the hands have to be good in this painting for the reasons you say Tam. Then again, the guitar has to be good and absolutely correct.

Mikey

Mikey
11-25-2004, 09:50 AM
I thought I had the likeness, now I not at all sure. I'll work on it no doubt.

Mikey

Tamana
11-25-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh yes.....! He's kind and playful. This is going to be great, Mikey. :)

Mikey
11-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks Tam, yes he's a great guy.

The Dream

He grew up lionising Jimmy Hendrix and naturally wanted the same make guitar as his hero. Being able to buy a Fender Stratacaster was his boyhood dream. In his early teens our musician surveyed the whole pop music scene and was impressed with Clapton's unique creativity. The Yardbirds were great, although he was equally impressed with Jimmy Page's inovation, and besides this other Jimmy played a Strat as well.

It might have been coincidental that Deep Purple, King Crimson and Pink Floyd all had guitarists who played Strats as well, but really our musician saw something else there he wanted. It wanted a sense of myth or story, texture, depth and such music that the vibes would intertwine and fill the air, catching the listeners up to eternity. He knows there can be no going back to the old days when Hall of the Crimson King was talked about so much. He'll get it, he knows he is on the edge, about to influence the whole music scene for another decade.

Mikey

Mikey
11-30-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm not too happy with this at present. The magenta keyboard player is an experiment so I can play around a bit to see what happens. I'll give the front musician a guitar strap and play with the colours in that as well, but my colour sense may have been getting a little bit rusty. I've thought about a different colour guitar, but I'm not too happy about the idea.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-01-2004, 04:32 AM
Hi Mikey,
Don't get discouraged. My oil teacher always says - forget about your watercolors, you're working in oils and you can correct, correct, correct .... :)

Mikey
12-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Hi Mikey,
Don't get discouraged. My oil teacher always says - forget about your watercolors, you're working in oils and you can correct, correct, correct .... :)

Thanks Gilberte. I think it just lacks that indefinable something and I'm not sure how to get it. I know that's asking for quite a lot of myself, but that's the need I see.

Mikey

Chryseis47
12-02-2004, 04:48 AM
Keep at it, doll, you're doing great...may I suggest, perhaps, that you infuse the soul of the song in his head? That may be what you're looking for...as a musician/artist, if the piece doesn't have soul by the time it's half-done, you have a problem...and although I LOVE the flavor of this piece, I'm still waiting for the soul...just a thought... :wave:

Mikey
12-02-2004, 07:36 AM
Keep at it, doll, you're doing great...may I suggest, perhaps, that you infuse the soul of the song in his head? That may be what you're looking for...as a musician/artist, if the piece doesn't have soul by the time it's half-done, you have a problem...and although I LOVE the flavor of this piece, I'm still waiting for the soul...just a thought... :wave:

It as a good thought, that's what I'm looking for, and it's really the point of the painting needed to lift it away from the ordinary. Many thanks.

Mikey

Mikey
12-02-2004, 08:21 AM
I'll need to think again and maybe get some passion for the music here, to imagine it as I paint.

Mikey

Gilberte
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Good job on the hands Mikey especially the bottom one. Watch his right cheek though and if it were mine I'd keep the other musicians vague ... :wink2:

earthbot1
12-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Good progress Mikey. Difficult scene to create. Will keep tuned.

Mikey
12-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Thanks Gilberte and Asimo. I'm doing a study for the background and this will determine what I do with the background muscians.

Mikey

artbabe21
12-03-2004, 01:39 AM
Lookin' good Mikey!! :)

Just a note from your moderator, please everyone...check the new sticky at the top of the forum....important information.

Mikey
12-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Lookin' good Mikey!! :)

Just a note from your moderator, please everyone...check the new sticky at the top of the forum....important information.

Thanks Cathleen, I'm still working on it.

Mikey

Artistanne
12-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Mikey, I love the way this is progressing. Agree about keeping the background musicians vague. One thing a little confusing right now is the orange on his left (viewer's right) shoulder--not sure what that is.

Looking good...

ps. I swear I used to date this guy back in the 80's. :D

Mikey
12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi Anne,

Many thanks, the orange thing might be a stripe on his T shirt, or a reflection from a laser light, but I don't really want it to dominate that much elsewhere, so that doesn't seem to be a good idea. I've put a guitar strap in now and that gives me more opportunity for colour. I did sort of feel that the orange needed to be there. I'll put it somewhere else no doubt. I will be softening up the background musicians and maybe putting in some laser light beams.

I daren't ask about that guy you used to know, but this is a good one.

Mikey

Mikey
12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
I'm a bit disappointed with this painting, but have another Mikey's Dream type of thing at the sketching stage, so I'll leave it for a while.

Mikey

LisaArt
12-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Mikey, It's really Splendid! Great Finish! You really did capture his face so well...He seems so in love with his music. His dream come true.

Gilberte
12-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Aren't we all sometimes disappointed with WHAT WE HAD IN MIND ........ ????
Yes, put it aside for a short while and later you'll look at it with different eyes and you'll say ... that isn't bad at all, I'll have another go at it ! Bravo !
Every effort to become a better painter needs an :clap:
If you feel the need to talk about your future project join the weekly OC chat, it is for ladies and "gentle"-men :D

Mikey
12-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks Lisa and Gilberte. The next painting will be more interesting, it's women.

Mikey