PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of my daughter

peoplepainter
11-15-2004, 08:41 AM
Hi!

Missed everyone here but thought I would sneek in and see what's up. It's been busy as everyone seems to want their portraits for Christmas. Wish I had more time for painting stuff I want to paint.

This one is of my daughter probably for my husband for Christmas. If I give him this one, then I will also have to do one of my son to give at the same time. You have to make sure the kids don't think you have a favorite. I just happened to work on my daughter's portrait first. Girl's are more work.

Painter 9. Oil pastel brushes. This was a tedious one as I wanted to include as much detail as I could at the focal point (the face).

Thanks for looking! Ya'll have been busy. I've been looking around and there's lots of good stuff up recently.

See ya!

Lisa

Yako
11-15-2004, 09:37 AM
I don't see any brush strokes, it looks to me more like a picture than a painting or i'm mistaken? :) :) Beautiful girl!

peoplepainter
11-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I don't see any brush strokes, it looks to me more like a picture than a painting or i'm mistaken? :) :) Beautiful girl!

Hey Yako!

Thanks for the compliment on my daughter!

It is a painting. I was trying a different style. I guess it is a bit like photorealism. Plus, the quality of the JPEG I can post here may make it look even more like a photo. A few weeks ago I saw an artist that worked this way (I think) and I wanted to try it. If you look at the background you can tell easily that it is painted. I tried to get really detailed on the face more than any part so the focus is on her expression. Normally I use the oil brushes and end up with a different look for my portraits. I'll post one of those next. I guess it's nice for clients to have a choice.

I will say this painting took a lot longer than usual and sometimes it wasn't any fun to paint but since it is of my daughter I'm happy with it.

Thanks for looking...

Lisa

Elvira
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Lisa this is very nice she looks like her Mom! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Edie

peoplepainter
11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Edie. Wish I was her age again.

Lisa

JCoop
11-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Masterpiece!!!

Lisa, painting with this kind of detail is a herculean feat! The hair... oh, the hair!... it leaves me breathless. Even though, while working with you I see your work all the time, I can never quite get used to the complete mastery that you wield over your craft... I'm floored everytime. If I hang around you long enough, some of it's got to rub off on me... right?

You must use a ton of Visine.

Your daughter is such a cutie pie.

peoplepainter
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Catch you breath, man! It's was like technical drawing. Nothing inspiring and creative about painting little hairs you know but with the little ones, you can't leave those fly-aways out. They make the pic. Wish I still had them intead of losing them in my brush. LOL.

Rub off on you? I beg to differ, Mr. Master Painter of the Universe. Still, thanks for the compliment.

Your understudy,
Lisa
Oh, no Visine. Melts contact lenses. Saline is my drug of choice.

JulieBoyles
11-17-2004, 12:04 AM
This is a beautiful portrait Lisa! :clap: :clap: :clap: I know I've told you how much I love it, but I just had to say it again! Abby says the hair is her favorite part :wink2:

Beautiful!!

Congrats,

Julie

peoplepainter
11-17-2004, 03:08 AM
Thanks, Julie! Coming from a pro that means a lot. Tell that cute little one I said "hello."

Lisa

philwms
11-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Excellent... Wonderful portrait of your daughter. My only suggestion would be to take the background intensity down somewhat - perhaps just desaturating it a bit.

Good job, though!

peoplepainter
11-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Phil,

Thanks! You know, I think you are absolutely right. I haven't printed it yet so you caught me in time. I have already tried to obscure any detail in the background but something was still bugging me. I bet it was the saturation! Thanks so much!

Lisa

brianc
11-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Really impressive. Wonderful detail.

fugitive
11-18-2004, 02:13 AM
Hey Yako!

Thanks for the compliment on my daughter!

It is a painting. I was trying a different style. I guess it is a bit like photorealism. Plus, the quality of the JPEG I can post here may make it look even more like a photo. A few weeks ago I saw an artist that worked this way (I think) and I wanted to try it. If you look at the background you can tell easily that it is painted. I tried to get really detailed on the face more than any part so the focus is on her expression. Normally I use the oil brushes and end up with a different look for my portraits. I'll post one of those next. I guess it's nice for clients to have a choice.

I will say this painting took a lot longer than usual and sometimes it wasn't any fun to paint but since it is of my daughter I'm happy with it.

Thanks for looking...

Lisa
You make me feel small.......................How long did it take?
Beautiful work.
greg.

peoplepainter
11-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Brianc!
Fugitive, don't be silly but I think you for the nice words. This one took the longest of all so far. I didn't time it but I bet it was at least 8 hours. Maybe more.

Thanks!

Lisa

themanda
11-19-2004, 12:54 PM
hi lisa! i just wanted to tell you how fantastic this is! that hair looks like silk...

:D

fugitive
11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Brianc!
Fugitive, don't be silly but I think you for the nice words. This one took the longest of all so far. I didn't time it but I bet it was at least 8 hours. Maybe more.

Thanks!

Lisa
I've done lots of these, and some took weeks or months. I'm more experienced now, but I still couldn't match the detail, and speed, how is that posible?
greg

peoplepainter
11-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Themanda, glad to see ya! I like your new(er) avatar. How's it going? I read you are painting with "real" paints. I'll have to go find them...

Fugitive, for me that 8 hours or so was a life time. When I do pastels they ususally take about 2 hours so for digital to take 8 hours without the mess is a long time for me. My art professors always made fun of how fast I paint and draw. I guess I get bored easily. I don't have good follow-through so if I can't finish it today, it'll never get finished. Impatient I guess.

I zoom in like crazy to get the detail. When I do portraits like this as opposed to a more painterly kind, I don't want to miss too many hairs. The higher quality version even shows arm hairs. Can't do too many of these. My eyes would bug me and my hand would cramp.

Thanks,

Lisa

yeticatcher
11-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Stunning work, Jcoop. I admire your stamina and attention to detail.

yeticatcher
11-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Ooops! :( My appologies Lisa, I was confused by your avatars. I should have paid closer attention to your signature. No doubt you work out of the same studio, outstanding work just the same. :)

peoplepainter
11-21-2004, 03:14 AM
Hey there, Yeticatcher! No apology necessary. Sometimes it confuses me! Your compliment means a lot to me. Thank you!

Lisa

justjean
11-21-2004, 08:37 AM
WOW Lisa this is beautiful both the painting and your daughter. Terrific work on everything about :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: it

peoplepainter
11-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Okay, Justjean. You have just made me your friend for life. Say anything about my little sweetie and you have me for good.

Thanks for your nice words. It means a lot coming from you!

Lisa

TxAggieDarlin
11-22-2004, 11:31 AM
WOW.........I just had to keep looking at it it is so awesome and it does look like a photo!!!...Is this Corel painter? or something else? I get sooo confused.......

I have to say, I am depressed.......I just cannot get anything to look like this........Beauiful......do you have any tutorials anywhere :) :wave:

peoplepainter
11-23-2004, 10:39 AM
TxAggieDarlin,

Thank you so much. Yes, Corel Painter. I used the oil pastel brush and did a lot of blending followed by lots of tiny details with the oil pastel brush again. It's sort of a seemingly never ending process of oil pastels, blending and details.
I don't think I have anything that qualifies as a tutorial. Maybe after the holidays I can put something together if it would help.

Again, thank you so much!

Lisa

einna
11-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Lisa, she is sooooo perfect in every sense. Beautiful physically and in the picture she shines through your wonderfull work. Can't get enough of looking at this wonderful portrait of your sweet little girl.

Craftmenship is exellent, that I may never reach. :)

Annie

dan9000
12-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Well, this is pretty astounding. I was sure it was a photo at first... then looked closer and thought, oh the girl is from a photo, but painted background has been composited in... finally, looking really close, I could see brushstrokes on parts of her dress and hair. It still just seems mind-boggling, more like it was done with a cloning brush then painted from scratch from the reference. I just purchased Painter IX and started playing around with it, guess I have something to aspire to now. :)

Dan

peoplepainter
12-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Einna, thank you very much! You can imagine how partial I am to the little one (who is growing up so fast it makes me sad). I don't know about craftsmanship. I'm just detail oriented which messes me up often. Can't see the forest for the trees. Thank you for the nice comments.

Dan! Hi! It isn't that mind boggling. It's just time consuming. I am compelled to paint details when I use this style. It kills me to leave them out. The little hairs are actually the most fun of the whole thing. I rush so I can get to the final details. I think it's why I paint in this way more for myself than clients. I love Painter 9. I have never used the clone thing. I don't have any idea how to do it. I just know where the brushes are and what they do. The other day I discovered paper texture for the first time! What an idiot I am. Anyway, for this I used the oil pastel brushes for the whole thing. I really like those.

Lisa

Destineo
12-03-2004, 07:30 AM
I'm breathless....

I clicked the first thumbnail, and when I saw it I thought, darn, I clicked the original photo first, then I clicked the second thumbnail, and though, hmm, seems like another photo, let me read the text since she might be asking someone to paint her daughter and not actually posting a painting. And then ... I had to pick my chin up off my desk. I went back to the paintings and WOW WOW WOW ... that's all I can say. Fantastic, wonderful and the detail is just amazing. Congratulations, and I'm sure your husband is going to just love the final prints. Hope to see your son's painting as well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

peoplepainter
12-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Destineo, you made me laugh. What you said was very nice. I hope my husband likes it. I haven't even started my son's portrait yet...shame on me. Poor kid will have a complex if I don't. It's just hard finding the time.

This is not my regular portrait style. It takes too darn long to do this all the time. The details are painful. I just paint this way for fun every once in a while but I am glad you like it.

Thanks,

Lisa