PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 4 - Drawing Cylindrical Objects - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JayD
11-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Basic 101: Class 4

Drawing Cylindrical Objects

BEFORE you start this week’s lesson go to the following link

http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-ellipses/drawing-ellipses.htm

This is this is Gavin Bann’s Guest Lecture on the subject of ellipses.

Here is the definition of an ellipse:

Main Entry: el·lipse
Pronunciation: i-'lips, e-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek elleipsis
1 a : OVAL b : a closed plane curve generated by a point moving in such a way that the sums of its distances from two fixed points is a constant : a plane section of a right circular cone that is a closed curve

Source: Merriam-Webster online

NOW

Here is the definition of our subject, the cylinder

Main Entry: cyl·in·der
Pronunciation: 'si-l&n-d&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French cylindre, from Latin cylindrus, from Greek kylindros, from kylindein to roll; perhaps akin to Greek kyklos wheel -- more at WHEEL
1 a : the surface traced by a straight line moving parallel to a fixed straight line and intersecting a fixed planar closed curve b : the space bounded by a cylinder and two parallel planes cutting all its elements -- see VOLUME table
2 : a cylindrical body or space: as a : the turning chambered breech of a revolver b (1) : the piston chamber in an engine (2) : a chamber in a pump from which the piston expels the fluid c : any of various rotating members in a press (as a printing press); especially : one that impresses paper on an inked form d : a cylindrical clay object inscribed with cuneiform inscriptions
- cyl·in·dered /-d&rd/ adjective

Source: Merriam-Webster online
Good grief! All this time I thought that a cylinder was a tube. I guess the moral of the story is don’t get tangled up in too many technical points.

Figure 1 is a Slinky—A slinky, besides being fun for every girl and boy, is a wonderful illustration of a cylinder in action. It lifts and it separates, don’t you know and so for our purposes it is a versatile model.

EXERCISE 1. Draw the diagram of the Slinky as I did . Do as many of these as your sanity and your time will allow. When you draw this object think about the cylinder that it IS and the ellipse’ that are contained with in—if you think about it, every coil is an ellipse and all of the combined coils make up ONE cylinder

Now look at figure 2. Let’s draw a cylinder sans Slinky:

1. First, decide how big, mall or wide that you would like your cylinder to be.

2. Start drawing by roughing in the ellipses, top and bottom. I generally move the pencil in a counter clockwise manner.

3. Next sketch in the sides and now you have your cylinder. Sounds simple.

LEARN TO SEE, JUST LIKE THE CUBE, THE CYLINDERS THAT ARE IN THE OBJECTS THAT SURROUND YOU EVERYDAY.

Figure 3 is a demonstration of modifying a cylinder to make an object:

THE BOTTLE:

1. Start by drawing your cylinder like you did above.

2. Once you complete the cylinder draw the shape of the object WITHIN the cylinder. Shaping the neck and body of the bottle.

It is THAT simple. I have gone ahead and sketched out, using the cylinder, several other objects. Try your hand at them—then look around your house and see if you can find some more.

Here are the practice exercises (below) for this week. Several are drawings that I have completed but there are others that are just photos. Try to do at least ONE of these. If you happen to see a cube in the drawing—DRAW IT! Happy drawing!

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461) Class 3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228822)

:)

JayD
11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Here are the last images for you to try:

JayD
11-15-2004, 12:02 AM
and finally, some more:

djdedman
11-15-2004, 12:12 AM
JayD
Love the lessons you are posting. Have delayed turning anything in as have a few health problems at present. Will get caught up soon as I can.
Thanks
Jackie

mhimeswc
11-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I remember having to draw hundreds of slinkys in school for handwriting class. (I'll bet they don't teach that anymore).

I'm sitting here reading about Class 4 with the remains of my breakfast sitting nearby - an empty Slim-Fast can. :-) It's pretty sad when you have to drink Slim-Fast to make weight at Weight Watchers.

Michelle H.

Jet
11-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Slinkies are kool !! :p

A couple of links for tutorials on drawing ellipses
One, is the link JayD has already posted for us, Guest Lecture by Gavin Banns (http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/wetcanvas/drawing-ellipses/drawing-ellipses.htm),
and the other link for a simple and clear tutorial on drawing ellipses (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2911300&postcount=120)

Enjoy !

Regards

L2isa2
11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Thank you JayD,

I will add ellipses to the cube painting I am doing :)

Will post when completed :)

Thank you for the Interesting info on the origins of the word ellipses :)

Regards
Lisa

Jet
11-15-2004, 10:18 AM
That slinky practice, brought some memories....
... reminiscings of slinky racing !! :cool:

Regards :D

JayD
11-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Believe it or not--I have plastic rainbow colored slinkys that we give out to child support officers at conventions. They are rainbow colored and say Fairfax Identity Laboratories on them. Very popular--I hold mine in the palm of my hand and shoot it out at my dog--he loves to chase after it. Slinky's are one of the coolest toys every invented!

Mary Woodul
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Believe it or not--I have plastic rainbow colored slinkys that we give out to child support officers at conventions. They are rainbow colored and say Fairfax Identity Laboratories on them. Very popular--I hold mine in the palm of my hand and shoot it out at my dog--he loves to chase after it. Slinky's are one of the coolest toys every invented!

I agree with you JayD, I used to love to play with them. The glass with the red liquid and the cubes is sooooo cool and drawing the slinkies will help me loosen up for the cat.

Thank you JayD!!!

Judi1957
11-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I think the slinkys may just take some practice. Mine are resembling tornados!
:wave:
Judi

mhimeswc
11-15-2004, 01:00 PM
I promise to draw some slinkys later, but right now this was sitting by my computer looking just like one of those cylinders we are supposed to draw. I wish I were drawing a big pot of spaghetti instead. :(

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2004/20035-SlimFast.jpg

Judi1957
11-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Nice Slim-Fast Can Michelle!
Judi

g7i7n7a
11-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Good Morning,

Once again, Thank you!! Jayd, :clap: :clap: Looking forward to the lesson.

Quick question; line A B and Line C D are the same width, but somehow I have ended up with more of a cone - not a cylinder..?? (or is it supposed to look like that?)the horizon line is quite low. I hope this shows up on the scan.

thankyou ,
gina

JayD
11-15-2004, 02:50 PM
What am I looking at here? I am thinking you are trying to draw a cylinder in one point perspective. If so is there a reference to what you are trying to draw?

bjcpaints
11-15-2004, 03:10 PM
"Its Slinky, its Slinky :music: :music: :music: .....everyone loves a Slinky"
Jet - You have triggered fond memories for me having raced Slinkys down the stairs with my younger brother.
Oh I am so glad I saved my Pitcher drawing from Stoy's thread a couple of weeks back! Here it comes again.
I am looking forward to this weeks lesson even though I am chained to my desk I think I will be able to produce some drawings that will fit in a bit better than I have in the past couple of weeks. Oh yeah and lots of cylinders in my frig at home but they are definitely not Slimfast - Molson Ice! Will have to try drawing and drinking. Gee, this seems to be my theme today (drinking). I have to go back and look for that martini glass with cubes JayD.
Barbara

bjcpaints
11-15-2004, 03:16 PM
What a doodah - the martini glass is right next to the pitcher picture (say that 3 x fast).

Jackie, I hope you feel better soon!
Barbara

g7i7n7a
11-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Jayd,
sorry about that. yes.

The first thumbnail is from the guest lecture. The yellow lines were my original convergent lines, but it seems you cannot put them wherever you want. I extended the ellipse out to where it looks like it should be. ??

The cylinder in 2pt. was from the other tutorial. I don't know why it's a cone. unless it should be, from that perspective. (but that can't be right) :confused:

gina

g7i7n7a
11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
a couple more...
gina

JayD
11-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Gina, wow, you have been Busy Le Bee! These look really good and you out did my key drawing :D

Oh, and thanks for the explanation--I thought that was what you were doing--but that is why the slink excercise will come in handy--be aware of the perspective but don't confine yourself to it. Sometimes you have to eyeball and the slinkys will help with the ellipses.

By the way, I have been sketching my examples--If you keep drawing this well, I will have to do a better job with the sketches. :D

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Jackie, hope you get to feeling better soon!

Jet, like your "Slinky Races" :D

Michelle, nice clean line drawing of the Slim Fast can.

Gina, all those lines makes me think of math and I shudder lol. Your drawings are looking good to me. Nice job on that pitcher and the martini glass and ice cubes too.

Judi1957
11-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Gina..I love the pitcher..I collect them...really nice!!! :clap:
Ann...Glad to see you back!!!!!
Jackie...Get well SOON!!!!

JayD,
Decided to start on my lunch hour today. Just printed out your pics and sketched right on the bottom half and cropped. Sure saves my paper.

Here's 3, 6 to go......not hurrying, just want to finish up the Class 3 assignments too.

Judi

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Judi, thanks for the welcome back :D . I enjoyed seeing your drawings and thought the coffee cup and the key were especially nice.

I really enjoy seeing all the posted work and seeing the improvement everyone is showing, don't you.

Ann

mhimeswc
11-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I didn't get to any more Slim-Fast cans or other cylinders in my cupboards tonight, but I did do a couple of pages of slinkys while listening to tv. It was fun, and relaxing, and reminded me of when I was a kid in parochial school. And while I was at it, I did some circles and some lines, and then sketched some boxes freehand. I think I even got a couple that look like boxes.

I thought I had a photo of that gazebo, but I can't find it, so I will either have to take a trip to photograph one, or try to wing it from my painting, but I will draw one as one of my cylinders this week.

I will be dreaming of slinky tonight.

Michelle

Judi1957
11-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Michelle,
I'll bet you can find a pic of the gazebo on the net somewhere.
Judi

Jet
11-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Gazebos (wood or vynil)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2004/27782-imperial2.jpeg (http://www.homeplacestructures.com/index.cfm?pageurl=gazebo.html)

g7i7n7a
11-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks Everyone for encouragement and support
3 weeks ago, I couldn't fill in the cirlces from lesson 1. have come along way.
really enjoying this course.(special thanks to Jayd)

Judi, your key is gorgeous!

Ann, glad your back, you were missed.

gina

MikeN
11-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Thought I would post the solution to this drawing. The reason it is tappering in is becuase the back vertical edges were not draw down to meet the bottom plane of the box. This is what determines how far back the edge goes.

The purple lines indicate what the bottome plane should look like, the elipse is also filled in in purple. The red lines are back vertical edges that I have corrected.

The blue lines represent horizontal middle of the elipse which is actually the contour that we see.

hope this isnt too muddy. Perspective is a hard subject to teach.

Mike

JayD
11-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I think you all are making amazing progress. To you watecolorists--you are going to have to have me over to the WC Forum to give me watercolor pointers.

Where is Connie--Connie are you here?

JayD
11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Mike, thanks for jumping in and contributing--I have to admit it had me stumped. I hope you will be joining us for the rest of the sessions. :wave: :)

Cathie Jones
11-15-2004, 11:14 PM
Hi JayD! This looks like fun already! Knew it would have perspective in it somewhere! ;)

Gina, you're getting too far ahead. You drawings are fantastic!

JayD, if I know Connie, she's somewhere drawing 37 round tables. :D I don't remember if you went over to the watercolor forum to look at my painting from yesterday, but there's a bird feeder with an elipse on top. Ann correctly pointed out that it's wrong - I didn't use perspective. (Bad girl!) Should have waited for this lesson, eh?

I can't wait to get started on this one!

mhimeswc
11-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the link to the gazebos, Jet. I found one in there that looks exactly like the one I drew.

Michelle H.

Deb Leger
11-16-2004, 01:24 AM
Another great lesson, Jay!

The pdf file for lesson 4 was just sent to you and Cathie and Ann. I'll get caught up tomorrow . Tonight was painting class and I leave for Montreal immediately after work which makes it a long day so right now, I'm off to bed!

AND, just for some revenge, I'm going to post a pic tomorrow of my disturbingly *messy* pencil box as it usually looks. :evil:

Deb

Jet
11-16-2004, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the link to the gazebos, Jet. I found one in there that looks exactly like the one I drew.

Michelle H.
:clap: Yay!! :clap:

L2isa2
11-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Hi :)

wow some really cool looing ellipses and cyclinders going on in here :)

I spent last night doodling with pencil and colorpencils, with various elements from the classes (not much of the perspective in it though accidently on purpose ? Maybe :evil: )

I have attempted the slinky, cubes, spheres, ellipses and cylinders would love some C&C on this thanks :)

Regards
Lisa

Jet
11-16-2004, 04:22 AM
Lisa,
you've got yourself a ' Dalí '.. :D

I like how you have taken the exercises getting your personal style, pretty easy and looking very 'natural' ..

We all need practice at drawing 'geo' shapes, you're doing great !!

Regards

JayD
11-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Lisa, excellent work--I agree with Jet--you've gone daliesque on us. :D I see the martini class is half full. :evil:

look a the ellipse on the top of the martini glass and then the one on the very bottom of the same--this is where I have problems--try to do you best to make sure that the ellipses on these objects are identical or uniform.

Outstanding display of doodleocity and imagination. :clap:

mhimeswc
11-16-2004, 08:32 AM
I like your doodle, Lisa. You have the whole class condensed into one drawing.

Michelle

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 08:55 AM
I enjoyed your drawing too Lisa. Very imaginative!

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Attached is an ink sketch I did while waiting for appointment of a cylindrical table. Then redrew it in pencil trying to get it in perspective.

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Another great lesson, Jay!

The pdf file for lesson 4 was just sent to you and Cathie and Ann. Deb

Thanks Deb! It is up on the site ready for download.

JayD
11-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Deb, thanks again for creating those wonderful PDFs--got mine and it looks really good. I really appreciate all that you are doing.

I asked Ann to post from class 3 her cylindrical table because it is an excellent example of process in action. She was out in the field at an office and took time to do a sketch--just to get the object down--THEN she took the sketch and figured out the perspective and refined the drawing.
Ann, this is beautiful! :clap:

g7i7n7a
11-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi MIke

Thought I would post the solution to this drawing. The reason it is tappering in is becuase the back vertical edges were not draw down to meet the bottom plane of the box. This is what determines how far back the edge goes
Mike
thankyou so much, appreciate your time, this one was irking me!
will print it off and chew on it for awhile.
gina

Mary Woodul
11-16-2004, 11:55 AM
Hi JayD and class. I see I'm getting behind again so I'll post some exercises but I didn't use perspective so I guess I'll have to rpeat them. In the meantime here they are.

sultry
11-16-2004, 01:00 PM
wow, Gina, Judi & Mary you guys are sailing on the slinky, cubes, spheres, ellipses and cylinders class 4. :clap:

Jackie, I hope you get well soon and I know you will be turning in some nice projects.

Michelle I can't wait to see your gazebos.

Lisa pretty fancy cp work there nice. :)

Jay, I am still with the class but I have managed catch a bug and been dizzy all weekend not to mention not able to keep anything down.

I still have my homework I was working on for class 3 so I will not be starting over here till that is completed and turned in. By the way Jay I do have a cylinder and ellipses in the homework. :)

Not easy to make an ice tray and ice into a still life interesting subject with out the spice of another geometric shape.

edited because I am too dizzy to spell correctly the first time.

Blah
11-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Jay...I will post my drawing(s) in a day or two, meanwhile I am catching up on all the posts that I missed in the Week 3 and Week 4 classes.

Ann, your cylindrical table is very nicely drawn.

Gina...your drawings of the pitcher and the wineglass are beautiful. Your first drawing of the cylinder was off, as you yourself had noticed, but the second one is perfectly drawn. In fact I notice that you had worked it out before Mike's very clear explanation was posted. So now, you also have the theory behind your very correctly drawn cylinder :D

Jet, thats a very good sketch of slinkies racing down the stairs :-)

Judy...All your sketches are nice - the ones in "group1", the coffee cup, and the key. However, when you are looking down (not from directly above, but at an angle) at a cylinder (or up at it for that matter), the nearer circle will be a narrower ellipse and the one that is farther away will be a fatter ellipse (that is tending more towards a circle). In your coffee cup (and Michelle's Slim Fast can) the ellipse at the base of the cup / can would therefore tend to be closer to a circle than the top.

Of course if you are looking directly into the cup you will see the top as a circle and the bottom as a smaller circle.

Blah

Fireman's kid
11-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Wow! You guys are on fire! Don't you ever sleep? I mean it's only Tuesday and already so many slinky's and elipse drawings are posted. Cool!

Hey sultry, I know people around here that caught that bug and said it was pretty yucky. :( Take care of yourself. For them it only lasted 24 hours or so. I hope the same is true for you and it is short lived.

Thanks to these lessons, I am now seeing cubes and cylinders everywhere! I hope to get some time to draw them and post them too. In the meantime I will learn from all of the excellent work already posted by my fellow classmates. :)

mothsailor
11-16-2004, 04:38 PM
OK, here's my first attempt at one of the photos.

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Mike, I appreciated the explanation also. I had to read it a couple of times for it to soak in but that had nothing to do with your clear explanation :D

Mary, enjoyed seeing your freehand drawing exercises and look forward to seeing those you do using perspective.

Sultry, hope you get to feeling better really soon.

Blah, thank you for your comments!

Dave, did you draw this freehand too? I think you did quite well especially on the bowl of the glass.

Ann

Judi1957
11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Blah, good catch on the lack of perspective in my coffee mug. I have corrected it and understand what you were saying. Bottom should be rounder and the top would be a more narrow ellipse. Thanks!

Ann, Great cylindrical table! And yes - I think we all are getting better. Want JayD to be proud of us. :D

Dave, great glass!

Jet, Thanks for the ellipsodial tutorial!

Well, back to it....

Judi

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 07:49 PM
In case any of you are itnerested, I "Googled" "Slinky" and came up with a link that has a bit of history on how it came about: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blslinky2.htm

Ann

Judi1957
11-16-2004, 09:08 PM
I was reading the Colored Pencil Solution book about drawing glass. This is my first real attempt :eek: . In lieu of the lesson glass with ice, I am going with a martini, shaken, not stirred...no ice. :D

Found this pic in a magazine today. Lots of ellipses.
Will do the ice yet.

Four down, five to go. Plus ice.

Ann, Interesting about the Slinky. Saw a documentary type show a couple of months ago on the factory and history.

Judi

JayD
11-17-2004, 01:23 AM
I just got back--it is 1:00am and I have been in a meeting at work since 2:00pm in the afternoon...sometimes they run long. So what have I missed:

Judi--lovely martini glass and I like the splash(?)--I have the Colored Pencil Solution book as well--it is an excellent reference source. Also, check out Exploring Colored Pencils by Sandra Angelo and Then Janie Gildrew has another book called Colored Pencil Explorations which covers the topics of mixed media--very good book.

Ann, nice slinky and a nice Linky :D

Sultry--I am glad you are still with us--take your time--believe it or not--I am getting sick ONCE AGAIN--my daughter brought home a cold--my wife now has it and I am just starting up. Will the cycle never end?

Blah--One thing that I noticed about your drawing skills is that you have a need to achieve perfection--I like that--but I think I would like to see you tackle some drawings--one or two--no more then that without using that keen eye for perspective--see if you can just rely on your instincts--perspective is a great strength with you so I would like to see you just draw from the eye and take away the analytical half of your drawing--give it a try! :) :) Suggestion--which might make this easier: Draw something for this class containing cylinders and cubes of course that stems from your imagination--just let yourself go wild. Good luck!!! :)

Moth, you are on the right track--excellent work--try to make sure that the ellipses are uniform--have you tackled the slinkys yet?

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 05:11 AM
Hello Everyone :)

Great work :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IT IS :-

PARTY TIME

Everyone is invited !!!!

:D :evil:

Regards
Lisa

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 05:15 AM
Oops, Sorry forgot to add the beer and bottles of martini !!

Has anyone got glasses and a bottle opener ?

Regards
lisa

Blah
11-17-2004, 05:43 AM
I just got back--it is 1:00am and I have been in a meeting at work since 2:00pm in the afternoon...sometimes they run long.

Whew....that must have been some meeting.

I would like to see you just draw from the eye and take away the analytical half of your drawing--give it a try! :) :)

Thats really tough for me, but I will give it a try. In fact that is something I am working on.

Suggestion--which might make this easier: Draw something for this class containing cylinders and cubes of course that stems from your imagination--just let yourself go wild. Good luck!!! :)

Will do that and post soon.

Blah

JayD
11-17-2004, 06:45 AM
Hey, Lisa--that's a lot of beer--bring more! Do me a favor and take your drawing and look at it with a mirror. See if the ellipses need any work and what about the cubes. Looking good so far.

Blah--Excellent! You have some great skills and some excellent powers of observation--now let's use your superpowers for the forces of good. I look forward to seeing your imaginative drawing.

FOR THE REST OF THE CLASS--WHEN WE MOVE TO THE SECTION WHERE WE START PUTTING THINGS TOGETHER, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO DO AT LEAST ONE DRAWING FROM YOUR IMAGINATION--I GUARANTEE THIS EXCERCISE WILL MORE THEN PAY FOR YOUR TIME WITH THIS COURSE. :)

idcrisis55
11-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Judi, thanks for your comment on the cylindrical table.

Lisa, what a party lol, love the shading. Do they still make wooden kegs of beer?

Jay, that was a loooong meeting and I'm surprised you could still think. I would have been in a "fog" by then.

Attached is a page of slinky's after doing approximately eight pages of them (they didn't get any better lol). And also, sketches of Jay's drawings. I noticed I have a tendency to lean things to the right so will have to check if that is correctable by changing the angle of the paper or my hand. Would any of you know?

Cheers,

Subway
11-17-2004, 08:44 AM
I went to a meeting yesterday morning and everyone brought a cylinder! What an amazing coincidence! I couldn't keep my pencil down.

I did notice that some of my cylinders tend to list to the right. I will watch that in the future.

I'm getting into drawing the slinkys. This week's class is a lot of fun!

JayD
11-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Judi and Subway--very nice work--the leaning that you refer to is common--adjusting you angle may not always work--if you sawmy workspace in the first lesson you probably noticed the large round mirror. I have the same problem with causing things to lean--THE very best solution is constantly check your drawing with a mirror and make the adjustments as you go along. You will be amazed at how quickly your drawings improve. :)

Subway
11-17-2004, 08:53 AM
I have heard of checking in the mirror and will try it. Do you keep a mirror in your workspace?

JayD
11-17-2004, 09:04 AM
yes, as a matter of fact. I consider it essential as I am the master of that whole leaning to the right thing. :D

Take some of your previous work as well and try it out.

g7i7n7a
11-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

Judi - martini glass, - perfect! :clap:

Sultry - well wishes, (saying a quick prayer for a quick recovery) :wave:

Blah - glad your back, look forward to your C&C's. :) :(

Ann - interesting slinky link, (girl power to Betty James!!)

Everyone else, happy drawing, like the boss says, "practice-practice-practice"

gina :D

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Hi JayD, Everyone ,

A question if you do not mind

When taking your drawing to the mirror to check , is there a way of presenting the drawing to the mirror , or do you just hold the drawing up straight on ( as if you are going to brush your hair for example) and look ?

If so can some one enlighten me please as I have never heard or done this till now !!

regards
:confused:

Lisa

g7i7n7a
11-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Hi Lisa,

As far as I know,(have been trying this for the last couple of days)
just hold it straight on. You will be amazed at how blatantly the "off" lines jump off the page. Yesterday, working on a sketch, I was running back and forth to the mirror checking, fixing, checking, fixing. ...(makes sense to have a mirror by the desk..)although I do feel a little thinner... :)
try it out.

blessings,
gina

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi Gina,

Thank you :) I will try it out :)

Regards
lisa

idcrisis55
11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
JayD and all, I am going to be away again. My sister had to be taken to the ER this a.m. and they are keeping her for a couple of days so I will be with her. Came home to get some things and I'm taking my drawing pad and pencil. See ya soon I hope :)

Ann

JayD
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Hold the mirror up to the picture straight on. It is amazing how blatantly HONEST the mirror can be. Unlike friends and family, the mirror won't try to spare your feelings.

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Ann,

Sorry to hear your sister is ill !

Take care and my prayers and thoughts are with you and your sister !

MY Regards
lisa

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 01:56 PM
JayD,

Thank you :)

I checked out the Beer barrel drawing like you suggested, and I can't see or understand what I am looking for ?

Regards
lisa

JayD
11-17-2004, 02:01 PM
just check it to see if the ellipses are uniform and also if the cubes are leaning

Ann, send your sister our kindest regards and our hopes for a speedy recovery. Take your time and know our prayers and thoughts are with you. :)

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Hello JAyD,

I have drunken cubes and dancing ellipses :evil:

Sorry, getting too cheeky.

Slinking off to do some more practicing of ellipses etc :D

Regards
Lisa

JayD
11-17-2004, 02:45 PM
They do kind of make you crazy--you know Lisa--like I told Blah--feel free to put something together ENTIRELY from your imagination. Youa re up to the challenge.

L2isa2
11-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Thank you JayD, I appreciate that :D

Will be back later :)

Regards
Lisa

mhimeswc
11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't know if I got the ellipses right, but I straightened out my green wine bottle.

The bottle was sitting pretty high up on a still life stand, and I remember I couldn't see an ellipse at all on the mouth of the bottle, but our instructor said to put one in anyway because it would look better. So it has a really narrow one. I'm not sure if I made the one on the bottom too narrow or not. But at least I got the two sides to match.

Here is a closeup of the original bottle and my corrected drawing.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/20035-BottleWithLines.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/20035-correctedBottleDrawing.jpg

bjcpaints
11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Good drawing Michelle!
Ann - best wishes for your sisters recovery.
Barbara

mothsailor
11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Here are some slinkies and some more cylinders. I find it really hard to get bottles and the like symmetrical. That's even before having consumed the contents!

JayD
11-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Ok, Dave here is a lesson in Duck Carving 101: Ducks like bottles are symetrical--the best way to carve a duck is to draw a center line straight down the middle of your duck pattern and then make sure that the sides match as you carve--constantly re drawing the center line as it fades with handling.

Well doing a bottle or any symetrical object is like that--draw the free hand sketch of the bottle and then draw a line straight down the center--correct your bottle making sure that what is on one side of the bottle looks exactly what is on the other side of that bottle. Try it and let me know. Also, you can check the symetry of the bottle as you draw---by using the mirror. :)

g7i7n7a
11-17-2004, 05:52 PM
mayday, mayday

earth to jayd,
do you read me....

......tooolboox......favou..rite toools......failure........must aboort. :( :(

(these thumbnails represent over an hours work.)
I repeat.....must abort... :(

JayD
11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I would not abort it--you are doing fine--you have it free floating out in space and you might want to ground it (land it) a bit but you have the shape down pat so do not give up--I KNOW you can do it. :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave:

artdude
11-17-2004, 06:27 PM
I think we can ALL agree that Jay is doing a GREAT job with these lessons, yet I don't see any 5 star rating??? Be sure to let Jay know we appreciate his efforts and RATE THIS THREAD!! :D:)

:clap: THANKS JAY!!! :clap:

Murray
--------------------

Judi1957
11-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi All!

I surely hope Ann's sister recovers soon!

Gina, you are so-o-o-o-o funny 'Mayday...abort' - you crack me up. I think the toolbox is coming along very well.

Dave, Making the shapes equal on both sides just takes a little time. Pretty hard freehand. I don't believe we can get them exactly perfect...just the best we can. The centerline really helps as JayD has said. Good luck.

Michelle, good straightening of the bottle. I think we all might like a bottle of that, come the weekend!

JayD, Thanks for the book recommendations!
Hope you slept till noon!
Did my cubes as per your posted purple drawing. The glass is slightly different. I tried to puddle the water around the cube but ended up erasing it :crying: . Wasn't really happy with it. Well, another time for that.

Judi

JayD
11-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Judi, that is absolutely beautiful. Now let's take it one step further--you have the beautiful, glass, cube and shadows--I would like you slightly MELT the cube that is on the table. How would you do that? Give it a try.

Judi1957
11-17-2004, 06:56 PM
JayD,
That is what I meant when I said I tried to puddle the water. I tried but not hard enough.
How would I do it?
I'll look into it, do it and post.
Thanks Teacher,

Judi

JayD
11-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Here is something to try--pull yourself out an ice cube and just set it in a plate on your kitchen counter if you have a camera photograph it every half hour to hour. If not, then just come back and o a light sketch. Good luck!

Judi1957
11-17-2004, 08:58 PM
JayD,
Came back to post and saw what you wrote. That's what I had done except I nuked the cube to melt. Not entirely happy with it but it's better than the first one I did at work..which looked more like an ice cube in Silly Putty than anything.
Any pointers for improvement would be appreciated.

Actually I could have done this at work had I given it any thought at the time (Boy, the co-workers would have had a field day seeing me micro a cube, hold a flashlight on it,for the shadowing and highlights, and taking digi's of it!!)

Funny thing at work today. Rare occasion when I was straightening up my 'Cubie'....looked down and there was my red hard plastic see thru clipboard. Back to Class 3 with that! :D

Judi

Deb Leger
11-17-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm back! I've had a rough couple of days and am now going to attempt to catch up! Seems I just couldn't find more than a few minutes to myself. Mondays are always a loss for me, wet canvas wise, but painting-wise they're a jackpot. Tuesday is my catch up day but I was so tired out, I ended up falling asleep on the couch, which I hate doing.

I fell asleep doing slinkies though, how's that for dedication?

LinkMaster Jet, thanks for the great link on drawing elipses!!! And your drawing of the slinky races brought back memories of slinky races with my brother. I could guide a mean slinky down those stairs!!! Juggling them was fun, too.

Hi Ann! Glad you're back!

Jackie, hope you're doing better now.

Sultry, that bug has been going 'round here like wildfire. Hope you're okay now.

Thanks Ann and Cathie for putting the files up on your sites and you're welcome, Jay! Glad I can help.

The drawings and sketches so far are great! Better get a few of mine posted, eh?

Deb

Cathie Jones
11-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Practice, practice, practice . . . (one of my musician friends would add "with a metronome" to that :D but I couldn't find a round or oval metronome.)

So, inspired by Connie's tables, here's my elipse practice for tonight. On the 2nd page I can tell where my "right brain" took over, can you?

Deb Leger
11-17-2004, 11:37 PM
I think we can ALL agree that Jay is doing a GREAT job with these lessons, yet I don't see any 5 star rating??? Be sure to let Jay know we appreciate his efforts and RATE THIS THREAD!! :D:)

THANKS JAY!!!

Murray

Thanks for the reminder Murray. I also give him and Jet mentor votes when I can, too. (I usually have to sneak over to the w/c forum though and give them there 'cause the drawing forum still won't allow me to here. ;)

Deb

Deb Leger
11-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Here's some of the sketches. (They're all fast sketches so I'll work tomorrow at redrawing them nicer. :D )

On the second page of slinkies, I used my left hand on some. I once learned that drawing with your non-dominant hand is a great way to warm up and to loosen up. And once you slip back to your dominant hand, those slinkies are a breeze to control! :D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0006.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0007.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0003.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0005.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0004.JPG

Jet
11-18-2004, 02:11 AM
Great advances and confident looking drawings all around...
congrats to all artists and to Mr. Donovan for being so kind in lending his time and patience ( without overlooking his sarcastic sense of humour ), having a synergistic effect on and for all of us...

I believe there will be many grateful souls during the course of this huge teaching rally he has indulged in...

:clap: Kind Regards :wave:

Blah
11-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Ann, I am sorry to hear that your sister is ill. My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

Jay...here are my sketches, done from imagination (i.e. without looking at anything for reference). The bedside table, lamp and picture are in my bedroom, but under a pile of books and magazines.

All the sketches together took about 80 to 90 minutes. Its taken me about 14 hours and about 35 to 40 attempts to upload them.

Dave, your drawings are getting better all the time. I can see the difference even betwee the three that you have done in this thread.

Gina...as Jay has said, your tool box is very much to scale and clearly identifiable. A slightly different angle might have enhanced the perspective.

Judi, your wineice and wineicepuddle are both excellent.

Blah

I still can't upload my pictures. will try again later.
Blah

Jet
11-18-2004, 05:10 AM
I saw this flashlight with cylindrical and conical shapes in it...

I used just the 4H pencil, and last i went over the darker zones with a Derwent's 7B sketching pencil...took 50 mins.

mhimeswc
11-18-2004, 10:22 AM
Terrific flashlight, Jet. You really got some good darks in there, and it looks nice and solid.

Just yesterday I threw away two flashlights that didn't work anymore, and I never even thought of sketching them.

Michelle

idcrisis55
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
I am home for awhile as my sister is doing better. Antibiotics, etc. have started kicking in. Just want to say thank you to all of you (you know who you are :D) for well wishes, prayers, etc.

I will not try to catch up right now but have quickly looked at everyone's work and enjoyed it immensely. Plus I love the humorous comments :D

Jay, I rated this thread and will do the other class threads as well, plus I finally got to give you a mentor vote, yippee!!! You have no idea how appreciative I am for what you are doing, plus Jet's thread and Gavin's hosting the tutorials. Thanks all of you!

Here is what I did while sitting at the hospital. I've been painting tomatoes for a client and had the reference photo (from the Wet C. RIL) printed out so snagged it on the way out the door. I do plan to paint this one too as soon as I work on the composition more. This was more for cylindrical/ellipse practice. In the last image I placed the salt shaker in the drawing of the tomato and bowls. I didn't do a great job but at least there are now five objects in the drawing instead of four lol.

JayD
11-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Jet, OUTSTANDING flashlight--I especially am struck by the concave lens in case no one noticed--that is a nice piece of detail. Got a task for you--you have some nice shading going on there but look at the flashlight again and see if you can create a greater degree of variation of shade. Understand, nothing wrong at ALL with your rendition--this is just an excercise. Go for it!

JayD
11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Blah--am I miss a link or a post? Cant wait to see! :)

Ann, if the sketches are a result of this class and your talent then everyone here should give you hearty hand :clap: :clap: :clap: and then applaude themselves because everybody here is working together so well collectively. They are gentle and wonderful to look at. These would make a great study for watercolor. I hope that you develop these into a still life.

idcrisis55
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Jay, thank you and I agree applause is definitely rated for everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: . Amazing transformations going on as the weeks go by. I love Jet's flashlight, the wine bottles, the glasses and ice, the slinky's, and others that I looked at and especially the dedication lol.

BTW, if you see my name as being here I often leave my computer on and linked to Wet Canvas, but I am not necessarily around. I think I may have said this before but (age-related) can't remember :confused:

Ann

Blah
11-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Jet, that is a terrific flashlight :clap: :clap:

Deb, nice drawings, especially the dark slinkies, the key and both candles (including the holders).

Jay....Am still trying to upload my pictures. Meanwhile I have drawn another sheet. this one took about 25 minutes. (The first two took 80 to 90 minutes.) all were done with minimum corrections/re-drawing and left-brained supervision :D

Blah

Cathie Jones
11-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Ann, Deb, Blah and Jet, your drawings are fantastic! I don't know whether to slink away and hide in shame, or be grateful that you're showing me what I can accomplish . . . someday. Definitely makes me wish I had more time to practice.

I've rated all the threads, too, but still can't give points in this forum.

bjcpaints
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
:wave: Hi everyone - I'm still here - just buried in work type work. I, like Ann, have WC on most of my day but secretly I am on what we call "terminal services" which is linked to our corporate office for my job. Anyway....
Judi - That martini and ice cube are really good! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Deb, I am struggling to grab time - you at least submitted something. I have to cut something out of my life -Hmmm? What shall it be? I have stopped participating in my painting group. : (
Jet, Awesome flashlight!!!
Blah, Good luck with your computer.
Ann, Glad your Sis is ok and you have a really nice still life drawing there!
Will try to get some practice in this weekend and upload Sunday. Gee, kinda like school ; doing the homework assignment the night before the next one comes out. :o
Barbara

idcrisis55
11-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Ha, ha, Cathie, no slinking away or hiding. In fact, I think you have a lot going for you. The 1st thing being your desire to draw; the 2nd is being here; the 3rd is your efforts, the 4th is posting them here and, the 5th is having all of us here to cheer you on and help when we can. I would say you are on a roll, doing great and hopefully enjoying the process :D . (Can you tell I love that big grin).

Blah, I really enjoyed your drawings and your informative comments. That is what I want to learn, using the lines to convey the shapes, lights/darks, curves, corners, etc. I want to be able to render a halfway decent sketch and do it fairly quickly (because that is what sketching is), instead of what I do now lol.

Judi1957
11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Welcome back Ann! Hope your sister's recovery continues! :clap: :clap:
Love your drawings! This thread always makes my hungry..all these food and drink containers

Cathie, Just keep doing what you are doing. As we have to do 'hundreds' of drawings, we are all trudging forward. It is so nice to be amung such a friendly group in a relaxed 'atmosphere' as created here. Everyone contributes and I am ever thankful we have JayD, Jet and the Guest Lecturers to guide us. I think also feedback from each other has been great.

Barb, hope you get 'unburied' soon. Being swamped by work can be suffocating!

Deb, Your slinkys look great! Mine all looked rather tornado like.

Blah, great sketches. Good imagination. You must have done Class 1 straight line drawing well. Your lines are so near perfect! Had to look real close.

Judi

idcrisis55
11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks Barbara and Judi, for the well wishes and the comments on the drawing. My sis will never be truly well but she is better :).

Barbara, I hope you get unburied too. I laughed when I read about this being like school and getting homework in just before the next lesson. We can relate to that, especially when other commitments have to be done first, (like procrastination for me) :D !

Judi, do you think we can paint pounds from seeing all this food lol.

g7i7n7a
11-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

thanks for the encouragement. the tool box requires thorough knowledge of perspective. I am going to leave it for now.

Ann, so sorry to hear of your sisters ongoing illness. My heart goes out to her. I loved your sketch of bowl and utensils. Striking, how an everyday item in your hands becomes so ...lovely.

Blah, love your sketches, especially the "cylinder and cube flowers in vase" - cool. (also,power to your uploads!)

Special Kudos to Cathie and Barbara (and anyone else, hard to keep track- I think Judy??) for your dedication in class, while working full time. (I work part/time from home) I know it takes extra energy!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lisa, how are you making out with the mirror and your boxes and barrels?

All else - have a great day! :)
gina

JayD
11-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Blah, I think you drew the primordial ash tray--it looks like a cigarette relaxing in a jacuzzi with little wisps of dna rising up from the waters. I love the dog. These are all great--they are much looser and more expressive--you are definitely on the right track!

EVERYBODY--I go away for a few hours and I come back and everybody's cookin!---this is a great group!!! :clap:

mothsailor
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Here are some more cylinders. The bird's eye view of the cup was difficult. I don't think my cup looks like it has vertical sides.

I'm really enjoying this! :D

JayD
11-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Boy, everybody is drawing my key drawing and I have to say you are all putting me to shame.

Dave--you coffee cup brings up an interesting point. Consider this--do you need two vertical lines or do you need slinky rings stacked one on top of another-what do you think? :)

mothsailor
11-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Well, I know (or at least, I think I know!) that I don't want vertical lines -- they are nowhere near vertical in the photo anyway. So, I deduce that I must need slinky rings stacked one on top of another! But I must admit I'm not sure how that would make it easier to draw accurately.

djdedman
11-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Even tho I'm not able to be here much, I come by and read whats going on when possible. I hope to be able to be back in class soon.
JayD, finally was able to give merit point for you.
Everyones drawings are just terrific! Keep up the good work. I sure will have a lot to catch up too.
Jackie

Cathie Jones
11-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Yipppeeee . . . me, too, but I gave a Mentor point instead of merit. Jet, you're next!

digitalmunky
11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Good Morning,

Once again, Thank you!! Jayd, :clap: :clap: Looking forward to the lesson.

Quick question; line A B and Line C D are the same width, but somehow I have ended up with more of a cone - not a cylinder..?? (or is it supposed to look like that?)the horizon line is quite low. I hope this shows up on the scan.

thankyou ,
gina

I took the liberty to show you what mistake you made... Hope I'm being helpful... http://www.funguydesign.com/wetcanvas/C_P_OPT.jpg

mhimeswc
11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
I used my mentor points on both Jay and Jet earlier this week.

Ann, I like your still life - but I like the one without the salt shaker best, even if it only has 4 objects. :-)
Glad your sis is doing better. I hope she makes a full recovery.

About saving homework until the last day -- I spent yesterday doing a watercolor and today doing a pastel, and I still haven't touched my gazebo, or any of JayD's suggested subjects. And my right arm hurts from the thumb all the way up to the shoulder - I think it's from too much time on the computer. I think I started with "mouse thumb" and ignored it, and now I have "computer elbow" and "computer shoulder". Ouch!!!

Michelle

JayD
11-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Sorry, Guys--I am in and out of meetings--will explain later when I am allowed. Digitalmonkey--very good explanation--bear in mind that you cant sanely map out every object in perspective--eventually you are going tohave to let your eyeballs do the driving assuming that you have picked up on the prespective. Make sure that when you are assembling a cylinder that you are conveying ROUNDNESS---A cylinder's edge follows the path of the ellipse creating roundness.

g7i7n7a
11-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi

I took the liberty to show you what mistake you made... Hope I'm being helpful... http://www.funguydesign.com/wetcanvas/C_P_OPT.jpg

absolutely, digitalmunky, that's why we're here -to learn. thankyou. :)
I'm not sure I'm getting it yet, but I appreciate your time, and will study it. I hope it sinks in soon. all counsel is very welcomed.

jayd, I am understanding what your saying. in keeping the drawing free and loose or alive or something..., and only using perspective if called for, sort of as a last resort, when something is really whacked. but I don't have a handle on it yet.
thanks to all,
gina
ps am still anticipating whether dave should have straight sides or slinky rings stacked... :confused:

Judi1957
11-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Digitalmunky, Welcome aboard. Glad to have you here!

Jackie, Sorry you have not been able to 'attend' lately. Glad you stopped by and hope you will join us again soon!!!! :wave:

Cathi and Michelle, JayD and Jet must be really racking up the points. It's a shame we are limited by the 30 days.

Gina, good summation on the 'P' word. We really just need to understand it and use that knowledge when drawing. Be aware of it and it will help. It will be like riding a bike for us here in 101...we won't forget it!

JayD, Here are my shells. Need more work, but I'm done. I really didn't enjoy drawing this one so much. Maybe it's because it's Thursday and late.

To tired to say much more. I can't even say good-nite cause you are all probably asleep (smart!)

Big Yawn.

Judi

digitalmunky
11-19-2004, 02:50 AM
Hi

absolutely, digitalmunky, that's why we're here -to learn. thankyou. :)
I'm not sure I'm getting it yet, but I appreciate your time, and will study it. I hope it sinks in soon. all counsel is very welcomed.

jayd, I am understanding what your saying. in keeping the drawing free and loose or alive or something..., and only using perspective if called for, sort of as a last resort, when something is really whacked. but I don't have a handle on it yet.
thanks to all,
gina
ps am still anticipating whether dave should have straight sides or slinky rings stacked... :confused:

If you look at the red and green lines of my example, they are referring to the planes of vision... as if you were holding a piece of paper parallel to your face or perpedicular to your line of sight (how ever you prefer to think about it)... That's how you'd think of a box in 2-point perspective (or 2D)... Esentially you placed the center line (the one that parallels the horizon line) the lower circle further back than the center line (the one that parallels the horizon line) of the upper circle... When you did this it essentially tilts the pillar as if the top were coming out at the viewer; this makes the base look smaller than the top... Remember, when things get further away they appear smaller and when they come closer they appear larger... That's why your original cylinder appears like an inverted cone...

Take care..

Blah
11-19-2004, 04:08 AM
Ann, Cathy, Barbara, Judi, Gina & Jay....Thank you very much for the very encouraging remarks, and the good wishes for my computer's health :D

I still have problems with my internet connection. I don't get to see all the uploaded drawings. Sometimes I get only a white square with a red 'x' mark in it. Clicking on it does not help because my connection has been breaking up very frequently and I have to start again from scratch. However I have somebody looking into the problem and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Meanwhile, Ann your still life drawings which I saw only now are outstanding. They look like graphite paintings and you have definitely raised the bar here.

Dave...your drawings of the cup and key are excellent and your 4th set is better than the previous three. At this rate you are certainly headed for the top.

Judi, that is a wonderful drawing of a shell. You have indicated that it needs more work, but it looks quite complete as a drawing to me.

Blah

JayD
11-19-2004, 07:04 AM
Regarding the stacked slinky comment--wanted you to think about losing lined edges. A good drawing is free of edges (as in hard lines)--the cylinder is a perfect way to practice this fact--ALSO, make sure that you are thinking spatially--the stack slinkys FORM the cylinder which in turn forms what will become those two parrallel lines--ONLY the ellipses are still there--you can not see them but they exist.. This is the most important thing that you can learn. Draw you geometric objects in their entirety (very lightly of course) to get down the correct shapes. Darken the lines that you want to keep then transfer the drawing to your good paper. The idea is to keep your drawing from looking flat.

Drawing can be a daunting task as you are taking a two dimensional plane (the paper) and drawing on it, many times, something 3 dimensional. Think spatially will make drawing easier and fun.

Jet
11-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Blah, I hope you get that 'puter running soon..

Thanks all for your comments and insights ..

JayD, I guess you were too kind....the shading was off !!

I tried correcting many details and got rough under-paper, so i had to work on the digital piece.
Using photoshop and a wacom tablet corrected and enhanced the flash light drawing...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/tn_flashlight01.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/flashlight01.jpg)

Thanks... :wave:

JayD
11-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Jet, you caught me! :D I am a southerner and we have this whole polite thing going one--when we are not too busy appearing on Jerry Springer for sleeping with our mother's brother's uncles' sister's dog!

The flashlight loooks much, much better--there is a smoother transition of shade. VERY nice! One last thing--look a the roundness of the head of the flashlight--do you think that you achieved that same roundness with the main cylinder where the batteries are housed? How do you go about eliminating the hard edge at the top of the main cylinder>

mothsailor
11-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for that explanation, Jay. I think maybe I got too concerned with reproducing the (2D) photo rather than thinking about the 3D form. I should probably go back to drawing from real things rather than photos for a while.

Blah -- thanks for your kind words. If I do get to "the top," I know I'll find you there already! :clap:

BTW, I would be awarding points too but the system doesn't think I'm worthy yet! :wink2:

mhimeswc
11-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for that explanation, Jay. I think maybe I got too concerned with reproducing the (2D) photo rather than thinking about the 3D form. I should probably go back to drawing from real things rather than photos for a while.

Blah -- thanks for your kind words. If I do get to "the top," I know I'll find you there already! :clap:

BTW, I would be awarding points too but the system doesn't think I'm worthy yet! :wink2:

It should be soon. I was able to do it for the first time earlier this week. A try it after every time you post and eventually it will let you vote.

Michelle

cmwynn
11-19-2004, 08:12 AM
I have noticed that all my ellipses are bigger and rounder on the right side. I am working on that. And I think I would be more comfortable drawing the sides first, but tried doing it the way the lesson said. Some examples:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2004/29839-Cylinders1xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2004/29839-Cylinders2xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2004/29839-Cylinders3xm.jpg

Subway
11-19-2004, 08:54 AM
I find I have to try about half a dozen times before I get a drawing that I consider presentable. With this one, the reflection and shadow are more sketched in. The shadows were tough, particularly getting the shape of the glass. Any thoughts on how to improve it, or is that a topic for an upcoming class?

I've only responded a little to my fellow students, but I want y'all to know that I appreciate you sharing your drawings. I find it inspiring and it keeps me going. Thanks to ALL of you.

Jim

SILKNSATIN
11-19-2004, 08:58 AM
This is coming along fantastic.I been trying to catch up by reading all the threads. :clap: :clap:

Blah
11-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Connie....more than the right side of the ellipse being larger what strikes me is that in some of your drawings (both mugs & the covered bin) your drawings are constructed with a wider ellipse for the top surface and a narrower ellipse for the bottom.

The perspective principle that you need to remember is that when your eye is higher than the top of the object that you are drawing, the top will be more of an ellipse and the bottom will be closer to a circle.

As for the right side turning out larger I think one just gets over it by drawing a number of ellipses.

Perhaps, for a start you could draw squares in perspective, with their diagonals. Next you mark the midpoint (in perspective) of all four sides and points on the diagonals representing the radius of the circle, and use these eight points as a guide to ensure that your ellipse does not get distorted.

This , of course, is a structured way of drawing a circle in perspective. After you do a large number of circles in perspective (ellipses), as an artist you will probably find yourself doing them correctly without any construction lines and without even giving it a second thought.

Incidentally your covered bin is very nicely drawn except for the point that I made earlier. The hemispherical top is very nicely drawn.

Blah

Blah
11-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Jim, the emphasis this week is on perspective with particular reference to cylinders and cubes. In that respect your drawing of the glass is just fine.

I expect the drawing of reflections and shadows will be taken up later. I know very little about drawing reflections. As for shadows, they depend on the location of the light source(s), the shape and opacity of the object and the surface on whichthe shadow falls.

I hope we spend a lot of time on this subject since it contributes tremendously to the 3D effect of a drawing.

Blah

JayD
11-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Connie, how are you holding your pencil--at first glance, I would say there is a tightness to your drawing that doesn't give you the control that you need--Also, you are depending on hard lines--edges. Draw everything very lightly until you get it right.. on the next class, I will make sure to post a couple of excercises which I am sure will help you out a great deal. We are going to be covering restatement, which I have mentioned several times.

NOW

All that being said the very best, besides those fabulous Slinkys which exhibit a total freedom in your drawing, is the trashcan. EVERBODY LOOK: She drew the cylinder and you can see the 3d form and carried on with the Detail. Connie I am going to want you to redraw the trash can when we get to spheres--if you look at this you drew the cylinder but the TOP is actually a sphere--this is very good.

I have a special assigment for you--sit back in you favorite chair and I want you to draw your leg and your foot---HERE IS THE CATCH--two drawings--do the first without looking at the paper---do the second one by looking a the subject, glancing at the paper BRIEFLY and then back to the subject and so on......NOW--NO ERASER ALLOWED--do your drawings very lightly and if you make a mistake redraw the area where the mistake is right over the error. When you are satisfied with the drawing then deepen your lines--NO ERASING. This is called restatement of line.. It will help you loosen up your drawings. NOW when you draw your leg and food--see if you can locate the cylinders. :evil:

idcrisis55
11-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Lisa, thanks for the concern about my sis. Also, thanks for commenting on the bowl drawing.

Digitalmunky, I appreciate your explanations too and the posted example. Thanks!

Dave, liked your coffee cup but that key is outstanding!

Hi Jackie, good to see a post from you. Hope things smooth out and you are back with us soon!

Hi Michelle, glad you liked the still life. Composition isn't my strong suit at all and am trying to figure out placement. You know overlapping objects, seeing where the shadows are cast. The way the drawing is right now, it just doesn't have strong focus yet and hope to correct that in the painting.

I feel for you with the computer arm ailments. I hope you give it some rest throughout the day and maybe it will ease. I hate when that happens especially when wanting to post but hurts too bad to type for long. So I paint instead lol.

Judi, nice work on that shell! I love the rings with the light/dark contrasts. This has good depth and those shadows under the shell really set it off nicely. This looks like it was complicated to draw. Hope you had a good night's sleep too!

Blah, thanks for your comments on the still life drawing. I hope your internet connection problem resolves soon. I always enjoy reading your comments and seeing your work.

Oh Wow Jet, nice work with the wacom tablet and Photoshop. I see what Jay is referring to with the roundness of the main cylinder vs. the head of the flash light. I'm always learning from everyone's posted work and comments. I wouldn't have noticed that if Jay hadn't commented.

Hi Connie, I enjoyed your drawings and wow what nice slinkys.

Hope I haven't missed commenting on anyone's work!

Ann

JayD
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Hi, Jim--try to move away from using the lined paper--it is distractive--obviously if you are an office sketcher, it might be not as easy as I suggest as people are drawn to artist with sketchbooks. But do take your sketch drawings and try transferring them to unlined paper. The glass look very good. Regarding reflections--yes we will be covering that. Blah--thanks for the remind and it is an area that we may do an extended class on--that is a good idea.

Jim: special excercise for you--just for fun--I want you to do the mason jars with the pencils that are in the first part of the class--we will get you some reflection action in. Get with me and I will work with you on this is you need it but I think you are very good so you should be up to the challenge.

Blah and everybody, remember that we want to develop perspective as an instinct--so your goal is to develop a hand to eye coordination for perspective. It will come with practice so you can play with the lines and the boxes and what not but continue to work toward the goal.

JayD
11-19-2004, 09:40 AM
By the way Jet--drawing with a Wacom tablet, IMHO, only is only PARTLY consider digital--you have a pencil in your hand, you are drawing on table--only the drawing lands on the computer. VERY LEGIT so go for it!

Subway
11-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Jay. We are doing a major software conversion where I work with many meetings lasting hours at a time, hence the drawings on lined paper. I usually position myself in a corner and try to look like I am taking copious notes. I'm either going to start taking my real notes on unlined paper, or slip some drawing paper in the back of my notepad. (And I really can listen and draw at the same time).

In another forum you mention that Jack Hamm did a thing on face proportions, showing all the key proportions using eyeballs. I know the one you mean, it is one of my favorites, and I will try to upload it over the weekend.

I'll also get to work on Mason jars over the weekend. The picture you posted is awfully dark. I have a book on how to get highly realistic effects (can't recall the title) that uses a similar drawing, I may work from that. On unlined paper, of course.

Thanks!

rangerette
11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
hey jayd,

can i play too?

you are doing a fantastic job here - :wave: - and its great to see this being covered so not only new to art people can get a chance to learn but also those of us who never did all the basic stages - thank you so much. i'm enjoying watching people progress through, there is some great sketches coming out.
i've added mine, am i on the right track?

-tracy

Judi1957
11-19-2004, 12:39 PM
JayD,
Looking forward to the 'Jack Hamm - face proportions' article!

Connie and Jim, Good to 'see' you! :wave:

Ann, Thanks for the compliment on the shell. I thought it was 'required'. Drawing was the problem, it was the detail. UGH. (At least it wasn't food! :D )

Blah, If you see the 'original' shell on page 1, mine isn't done, but thanks!

Tracy, The more that 'play', the more we all learn. Welcome! :wave:

Jet, great redo on the flashlight! :clap: :clap:

Judi

Jet
11-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your words of encouragement and corrections too.. :)
Here's a final update on the Flashlight... :D

Regards

Cathie Jones
11-19-2004, 04:55 PM
Jet - http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Nov-2004/23460-smiley_laugh.gif

That is, without a doubt, the most wonderous flashlight I've ever seen! And the batteries aren't even dead!!! LOL :clap:

JayD
11-19-2004, 05:11 PM
OK--Wise Guy! :evil: Very Cool! I pronounce you finished! :clap: :clap: Now, before the weekend end, I would like you to compose something with cylinders and cubes using ONLY your imagination. Go for it!!!! :)

JayD
11-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey Rangerette--absolutely--Jump in--the more the merrier! :wave: :wave:
All very nice drawings--I am especially taken by the work on the key--that looks like a key that I would run into in the video game, American McGee's "Alice".

regarding cylinders--go back and look at your cylinders and ellipses and make sure that the ellipses on each end are parrallel. All in all, very good job. Keep posting as we would love to see more.

g7i7n7a
11-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone, :wave:

I am working on a creamer, and was having trouble with the base. The elypse of the base and the cone of the base were blurring into one confusing shape, attempting the "slinky principle" , swirling around only pressing hard on the front side of the slinky and lightly on the unseen side. This made a big difference. I don't know if that made sense, but after a little more fine tuning I can transfer to a clean sheet. this has been a great lesson. :) thanks.
gina

Judi1957
11-19-2004, 10:04 PM
Gina,
Yes that made sense to me. The Slinky principal in action!!
This is looking good!!!!

Deb Leger
11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm about to try to get caught up again (but Saturday is coming and I have it off!) and have been reading through the posts.

Gina, your drawing of the creamer made it clear what Jay was meaning about the slinkies!!!

Everyone is doing so awesome!!! And I love how we're all learning together and helping.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb

JayD
11-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Gina, I just got back--excellent-slinkys in action! What you have done is to sketch the object thinking in the three dimensional world. It has a looser freer look then your previous work--you drew the object keeping in mind the unseen parts of the objects. First rate work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb: TICK.....TICK.....TICK.... :evil:

JayD
11-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Everybody! I have been asking some of you to give your imagination a try--JET!!! BLAH!!! and so on--well, check out this link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2927550#post2927550

Jet
11-20-2004, 02:11 AM
Jay,
I did this one in 30 mins.. from memory (not from imagination).

I see the foliage is a little bit off to the left side...
Here are 2 cylinders and 1 sphere, although i could have done a cubic planter instead.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/tn_planter.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/779/completed/27782/planter.jpg)

C & C Welcome

rangerette
11-20-2004, 05:54 AM
gina, thank you (light dawns on marble head) - i only think about the 3D effect of the parts of the object that i can see - now with your illustration and explaination it all makes sense - bless you :)

-tracy

JayD
11-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Jet, HOW many cylinders are there? :evil:

Rangerette--that is it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Subway
11-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Here's the infamous eyeball picture. Hope I'm not violating any copyrights. It's from Jack Hamm's Drawing the Head and Figure

JayD
11-20-2004, 08:49 AM
see what I mean about the eyelashes. :D

OK, guys--if you want you can all do eyes next week as we are going to be doing spheres!

idcrisis55
11-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Gina, I really liked that pot with the slinky base. I think you did a great job!

Jay, incredible pencil work at the link you shared with us.

Jet, that is some fast sketching. Nice textures on the pot. What kind of bush is that? You got those ellipses down pat don't you!

Tracy, happy to see another person joining in :)

Subway, thanks for attaching the pic of the eyeball. I don't have that book and found it interesting that he actually portrayed the widths using eyeballs.

The attached was drawn this a.m., more from memory and maybe a bit of imagination (my imagining someone is going to cook breakfast for me :evil: ).

JayD
11-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Ann: Wha...no toast? That would have worked in your cube! :D I love it and I see you have spheres there.

Speaking of which--I have the most appropriately humorous sphere project for everyone to do next week. Stay Tuned!!!

Judi1957
11-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Ann, Thanks-this food fits the low carb I have been on FOREVER!!! :D :D :D
Yummmmmm But I miss my carbs!!!! :crying:
Really nice drawing!!!

JayD, Marilyn is amazing isn't she! :clap:

Jet, great topiary!!! Really liked the flashing flashlight too!!! :clap:

Subway, Eye see you! ha-ha, thanks for the post! :cool:

Deb, enjoy your day off!! :D

idcrisis55
11-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Toast for Jay, and low-carb breakfast for Judi *grin* and thanks Judi. I feel for you.

Forgot the coffee though.

Ut oh Jay, a "humorous sphere"??? Can't get the smilies to work but I can just see that "evil grin".

Ann

JayD
11-20-2004, 02:39 PM
I don't know what the drinks are but there are generally only 15 carbs in a piece of toast(depending on type--I am allowed 60 carbs for breakfast and lunch and around 40 or so for dinner), none in the eggs and bacon so I guess the other carb factor was milk?

Anyway, great job and thanks for the toast!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

sultry
11-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone, I am back I think but I do have alot of catching up to do.

Your all doing so great in class 4 it shows. :) So many of you have made that coffee look like liquid and the key look like it could be picked up off the paper.

Jackie I am glad your home with your sister, welcome back.
Gina you have the slinky idea to a T.
Blah you have 3d in your fingers.
Deb I did a candle too :)
Judi cool shell.
Ann I love that still life and you just made me hungry.
Jet that flash light looks like it just turned off and slowly dimming to fading light.

Well here is my slinky assignment and the key and teapot to follow. Not easy sketching from bed by the way.

JayD
11-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Sultry! Slinkys on FIRE!!!! Very nice--Everybody really zeroed in on the key didn't they? Take a look a the key and then at the teapot. You have erected a line border around the teapot that you really need to eliminate. Avoid hard edges on your drawings.

NOW..Hard edges are the bug-a-boos of some of even the best artist around. I have heard comments from some pros who still battle with this problem so the only thing you can do is to just be alert.

Excellent work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
11-20-2004, 06:02 PM
Stacy, I really like your 'slinky' candle. Liken the flame! :clap:

Ann, the low carb hasn't been too bad. Lost 32 lbs, almost my high school size now. Almost 'slinky' again. :D

JayD, yep, hard to get trained to eliminate lines. Its all about shading so to speak?

Deb Leger
11-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Okay, got some 'stuff' to post. First there's the slinky cup. (Slinkies will just NEVER be the same, will they? :evil: ) I found it much, much easier to draw the cup slinky-style!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/11775-slinky_cup.JPG

Then, there's the jug. Believe it or not, those lines are relatively straight! :( Must be the angle I photographed it at. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ) This one was hard to draw because of the shading and colouring, I found.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/11775-DSCF0038.JPG

This next one is not so great but I was itching to get to the vase! :D Shells, done a la Slinky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/11775-shell.JPG

Vase to follow in the next post!

Deb

Deb Leger
11-20-2004, 08:12 PM
The vase a la Slinky. Please pay no attention to the fabric. I am terrible at drawing material folds! :( I set this up quick, snapped it so you could see what I was doing and then turned the vase a slight little bit to draw it so that's why you'll see more of the back handle in the drawing. :D The rim looks better in real life, I *did* do all the little white markings but they just don't want to "come out" in the scan!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/11775-Capture1.jpg

Mary Woodul
11-20-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi JayD and class, sorry I haven't been around much this week but I was quite busy and then had a molar extracted on Wednesday, after going through two hours of root canal work. I would come up with a complicated molar that then had to be fractured to extract.

Everyone has been working quite a bit.

Gina- Your drawings are good and plentiful and you sure are speedy.

Judy- I love your cup with the scratchy shadow but your martini glass with drops and the elipses caused by it, tops it all.

Lisa- yours is ready to frame. :cat:

Ann - I think I understand the perspective the way you put it in your cylinder but I am confused with the other approach. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister.

Dave- I love your glass with the ice cubes, you managed the transparency so nicely.

subway- pretty neat human slinky :wink2:

Michelle- What a gorgeous painting.

Cathy- That's a clever way to play with the slinkys and you did a lot of work there.

Deb- You worked hard also and that's a good tip. Next time I'll start with my left hand.

Wow Blah, - you are really a master of perspectives. Your ash tray reminds me of Dali.

Connie- your coming along fine. Your weekly drawings are very good.

Tracy- what cool drawings, those look like they came out of a drawing book.

Jet- you are a genius at all of these technicalities. Your flashlight is fantastic, I played around with it for a while. :D

Ann- JayD's bacon and eggs made me so hungry, I haven't had anything solid for four days.

Sultry- you have such an exquisite touch to your drawings.

I did turn in my excercises at the beginning of the week and tried this one today. But I see the importance of using the mirror. I didn't work on it at my easle but on my table and when I put it on the easle I noticed that it was not straight so I tried to correct it.

sultry
11-20-2004, 08:25 PM
gee Jay can you tell how much I do not like drawing still life? lol

I am not good at making bottles, pitchers, vases, jars or glass ( sorry but YUCKY ).

I see what you mean about the hard line and what a difference it does make if I eliminate it.

Ohhhh Deb that pitcher is so Kool - Aid vantastic ( you need to put the smiley face on it. =) :) The vase looks very 3d too.

ummm, Jay do I hafta still work on that horrible icetray drawing I really cannot get inspired to fix that.... I wanted to try the weekly thread because I love big cats. :)

Judi1957
11-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Deb, see you have been busy on your day off. Nice to sit and draw. So relaxing. In particular I like the pitcher! Good work! :clap: :clap:

JayD, this one is for you, a bit corny to say the least, but I thought of you. My daughter just told me the following joke (somewhat altered):

A week before Thanksgiving, JayD went to the pet store and bought a parrot.
And Oh what a foul mouth the parrot he had bought had. This parrot cursed up a storm constantly.
JayD, having enough, put the parrot in the freezer. The parrot really threw a fit then. He screamed and pleaded to his master to please let him out, he would never curse again.
JayD finally relented and opened the freezer door. JayD asked the parrot what made him want to repent from his ways. The parrot told JayD it was freezing in there and realized also that he was wrong to use such language. Then the parrot, shaking violently, asked JayD: 'I do have a question for you...What did the turkey do?'
LOL, like I said, corny.

Mary Woodul
11-20-2004, 08:35 PM
The vase a la Slinky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2004/11775-Capture1.jpg
Sorry Deb, I think it took me so long to write my post that you posted your vase first and I didn't mention it. It is gorgeous and very complicated to draw. :eek:

Judi1957
11-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh Deb, I missed the vase. Really great! As Mary said, complicated to draw!

:clap: :clap:

Mary, Your plant in the slinky pot is really great too!

Deb Leger
11-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Wow Judi, congrats on the 32 lbs! :clap:

Sultry, I love the flame on your candle!!! Your teapot and key are both great too.

Jet, really cute flashlight! And a very nice topiary!!! Beautiful!

Subway, thanks for posting the info on the eyes. I've saved it.

Ann, great breakfast! Had mine scrambled this morning. :D

Jay, love the comment about the Springer show! :D :D

Jim, like you, I don't often have time to comment on each drawing but they all inspire me to keep going. Your wine glass is great! When drawing that one, I found the shadow awkward too, because it just didn't seem to be in the proper place. It would be nice to be a fly on the wall at your meeting, just to see you look so studiously interested in the meeting while doing all that drawing! :D :wink2:

Tracy, nice drawings!!! Welcome to the group!

Connie, you're doing so great. When I really don't feel like drawing, I just think.... if Connie can do 25 tables, surely I can do a few sketches??? (And of course, when Jay's around, we never say ... when I don't feel like drawing! But I'm sure he didn't hear that!)

Judi, GREAT shell drawing!!! If I'd seen that one before posting, I'd have scrapped mine! :D

Digitalmonkey, thanks for the explanation! You made it so clear with your pic.

Blah, you sure have perspective down pat!!! Wish I had your grasp on it! :cool: Love your drawings with the lines. I hope you get your computer fixed. It's such a bummer when they go down. 14 hours to upload pics is horrible! Can you mail them out easily? If you like, you could send me your pics and I could post them for you if that would work. That is, if it's just the uploader that's giving you such grief.

Ann, that still life with the bowl and tomatoes will make an awesome painting! For any of you who'd like to see some wonderful tomato paintings, you should go to Ann's site and check out her tomatoes! Awesome!!!!

Michelle, how's your mouse thumb? :D Sounds funny but I know how painful it can be. Last Dec, my ergonomic keyboard went kaput! I had to switch back to the original one that came with my system since no one around here seems to think they'll sell in their stores anymore. I ended up with two incredibly painful tennis elbows. I miss that keyboard so darned much!!!

Barbara, hope you're finding places to squeeze time out of. That's so sad that you had to quit your painting group!

Okay, I'm going back to drawing now! Or maybe painting!

Deb

Deb Leger
11-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Deb, see you have been busy on your day off. Nice to sit and draw. So relaxing. In particular I like the pitcher! Good work! :clap: :clap:

JayD, this one is for you, a bit corny to say the least, but I thought of you. My daughter just told me the following joke (somewhat altered):

A week before Thanksgiving, JayD went to the pet store and bought a parrot.
And Oh what a foul mouth the parrot he had bought had. This parrot cursed up a storm constantly.
JayD, having enough, put the parrot in the freezer. The parrot really threw a fit then. He screamed and pleaded to his master to please let him out, he would never curse again.
JayD finally relented and opened the freezer door. JayD asked the parrot what made him want to repent from his ways. The parrot told JayD it was freezing in there and realized also that he was wrong to use such language. Then the parrot, shaking violently, asked JayD: 'I do have a question for you...What did the turkey do?'
LOL, like I said, corny.

THAT'S the joke I was looking for when I first read about Jay's parrot!! :D :D
Very cute!

Deb Leger
11-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Sorry Deb, I think it took me so long to write my post that you posted your vase first and I didn't mention it. It is gorgeous and very complicated to draw. :eek:

Hi Mary,

I did the same thing! Took me a long time for my reply too and I started at my other post and went backwards so I missed your beautiful plant!!! The rings on the pot must have taken soooo much patience! Your leaves are beautiful.

Thanks for the compliments on the vase. It's one of a set from a Mexican store here and I just love them and have been itching to draw them.

Thanks Judi, yes it's nice to just sit and draw - so relaxing!!

Thanks Sultry. Kool - Aid vantastic! I'll have to remember that one and use it. It'll confuse the heck out of my kids! :wink2: :D

Deb

sultry
11-20-2004, 10:01 PM
oops forgot to post my coffee cup and pencil with my last post....the nyquil is kicking in faster than usual I think.

Hey, Mary I am sorry to hear about the dental visit ohhh that is no fun :( but now you will have no more pain after it all heals. :) & ty for the nice comment, as you, yourself have your own unique artistic touch also. Like your plant :)

Why ty Deb :) but believe me that tea pot does not look like the one I was trying to draw :( lol it looks more like a cartoon. yeah, the kids will like the Kool - Aid Vantastic !!!
Thats another way to say Kudos so from now I think I will use it for everyones job well Done...

Hey everybody ~Kool Aid Vantastic~ your all doing so :clap:

JayD
11-20-2004, 10:08 PM
ROFL!!! Deb that was a great twist on my story! As soon as I get my voice back, I am going to tell it to Jen--the owner of the bird in question.

Sultry--you do not have to finish the ice tray and I am glad that you worked to eliminate the lines.

Deb-good slinking--that vase is great--what the slinky excercise does is to get you in the feel for sketching--a lot of people try to draw slowly and precisely but drawing is a series of phases--you have the sketch, then you rework out any problems that you encounter and then you do the final product. Its a system sorts and being able to sketch well from the beginning can make or break your final product.

Cathie Jones
11-20-2004, 11:59 PM
We worked all day today, but I did some playing after dinner. Now that I see Deb's slinky things, I think I'll go back and do some more, slinky style - looks like fun! I actually did the pitcher when it was the weekly drawing. Maybe I'll do that one again, too. Then again, maybe not! :wink2:

JayD, I asked once before about attachments vs uploading and must have missed the answer. In watercolor, they encourage uploading because you can see them while you're replying - but here there are more attachments than uploads. Does it make a difference? Is it because there are so many more images in these threads?

Jet
11-21-2004, 12:43 AM
CJ Hi!,
A personal thread usually has few pictures so it doesn't matter the display mode used in it, but in long and picture-rich threads as this one, the attachements approach is a better option.

Remember, there are many members on Dial-Up connection so it would take far too long to show the whole page on screen, , making it less than enjoyable to go through all that trouble, just to see a new post.

After a few times of going through this routine one gets tired of waiting for all the pictures (already seen) to load before we can get to what's new...

Alternatively, If we like to see attachements as large pictures, we have the option to turn this feature on, and attachements will show at regular size in our threads.-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/27782-display.jpg

That works swell pleasing everyone !! :clap:

Kind Regards

Jet
11-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Jet, HOW many cylinders are there? :evil:

This fashion has been around for quite some time; It is not a single tree, but as many as trunks you see coming from the ground up...

The multiple bent trunks are inter-weaved all around, following a circular pattern, which projected together form a hollow cylinder.

The foliage is clipped to taste, mine are clipped as spheres, but there are some as cones, cubes, or animal shapes as well.

Regards
:cool:

ps_d
11-21-2004, 07:27 AM
Hi,

I'm new to Wetcanvas, not bad at drawing from pictures, but am not able to draw well when it comes to drawing from life. This course looks like the one I'm looking out for. Can I join now or is it too late? Am eager to join but am not sure where and how to start off for this course. Would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Jet
11-21-2004, 07:38 AM
PS, Hi ! Welcome to WC...
Sure you can join anytime just look for the proper lesson to begin with...

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461) Class 3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228822)

Have Fun !!

Kind Regards

JayD
11-21-2004, 07:52 AM
ps_D welcome! We're always looking for new victims :evil: so jump right in--we'd love to have you.

CJ: I am a direct upload guy myself--the choice is your as to how you wish to proceed--it is just a matter of choice. I think Jet has covered the subject well.
NOW--your drawings are not bad at all, CJ but you are having a problem with symetry--take a mirror and hold it to the picture. Go back to some of my drawings in the lesson and you will see that I have used a center line in my sketches to help fix the problem (I have the very same challenge so I sympathize :) ). The center line shoulde help you immensely.

Jet--tree branches are a cacophany of cylinders--remember to think spatially and aim for fullness and 3 dimensionality. That is one cool tree though. :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
11-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Here's one I did for the current WDE. It's got cubes, cylinders (well, pumpkins, anway :) ), perspective...the lot! Not necessarily well drawn, but they're there ;-) .

mhimeswc
11-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Mary, sorry to hear about your extraction. I recently went the route of root canal, fractured root, extraction, etc. myself. I certainly did not come home and draw ellipses, I took my pain pills and went to sleep. :) Last week I finally got the bridge put in. I now owe my dentist $4,000. Yikes! He is going to have a long wait.

Michelle

mhimeswc
11-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Wow Judi, congrats on the 32 lbs! :clap:

Michelle, how's your mouse thumb? :D Sounds funny but I know how painful it can be. Last Dec, my ergonomic keyboard went kaput! I had to switch back to the original one that came with my system since no one around here seems to think they'll sell in their stores anymore. I ended up with two incredibly painful tennis elbows. I miss that keyboard so darned much!!!

Deb

Still hurts to type, but it doesn't seem to bother me to paint. I went to an all day watercolor workshop on Saturday, and I was fine painting. Moving my arm in some positions to reach for things hurt quite a bit though. I can still feel it in my thumb, my elbow (kind of like tennis elbow) and my shoulder. I haven't tried much drawing, but will do so today.

Michelle

mhimeswc
11-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Just a few quick sketches before I go to church. I will try to do something better later.

The cylinders - vase, ear drop bottle, pill bottle, screwdriver

Drawing with a pencil does not cause any pain, but using the mouse and typing still bother me some. Not bad as long as I don't overdue it.

Can see that many of my lines are not straight. Seeing things on the monitor is even better than using a mirror.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2004/20035-cylinders.jpg

JayD
11-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Mary, glad to see that you are making good use of the center line. These all look very good--remember the key is to keep practicing.

Dave, this WDE that you did is good-it has a lot textural quality that I like about it and YES a pumpkin counts as a sphere! Good job!!!

NOW

I have a date to finish with June Alyson, Jimmy Durrante, Harry James, Van Johnson, Lena Horn and Gracie Allen--"Two Girls and A Sailor" --one of my favorites. VAn is about to reveal that he is in love with June Alyson--bye :wink2:

bjcpaints
11-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Have not had time to even catch up on the posts, but in an effort to participate, here are my pathetic offerings for this week. It is crazy how busy I am and I know others are as well. Wish I had time to really focus on this and do a halfway decent job. Maybe next week? 2 more craft shows till Christmas!
So glad my painting is better than my drawing!

rangerette
11-21-2004, 01:52 PM
hey jayd, i thought i'd upload these 'slinky egg cups' they might be useful to help people 'see' your slinky point. sorry about the golf ball, ran out of eggs!!

-tracy

Fireman's kid
11-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone! Some great drawings here!

I have been using most of my art time to work on my commission painting, but did manage to squeeze in some sketching the other night which I will post today. After my painting is finished I will come back and practice more on weeks 3 and 4. I will also have more time to comment on everyone else's posts.

I really like everyones drawings done as slinkys - the vases and pitchers and candles and such. I didn't get was Jay was saying until I saw these examples. Thanks! They are definitely more 3D when that hard side line is missing. That will be one of the things I come back and practice.

For now here are two pages of stuff. One has a few slinkys (I did another whole page but didn't bother to post it) and freehand sketches from the sketches Jay posted. The second page has cylinders done in persepctive. It took me awhile to understand how to do the perspective drawings, but I think I finally got it. You can see my elipses got more round as I went along.

(PS - Sorry for the bleed through on the first page. Guess I shouldn't sketch on the front and back of my sketch book pages. Seems a waste to use only one side. Anyone know how I can use both sides but avoid it showing through when I scan? I already draw pretty light and use Photoshop to increase the contrast.)

L2isa2
11-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Hello Everyone ,

Wow this thread has gone balistic since I was last on here !!

well there are so many wonderful cylindrical goodies here :D

Here is another offering of cylinders from me C&C Most welcome :)

Regards
Lisa

Deb Leger
11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
DAve, very nice drawing! I'm going to go over to the WDE right after answering this and see what they'er doing there. One of these weeks, I might even get to post! Nice pumpkins!

Michelle, glad you can at least draw. With a $4000 dentist bill, no wonder you need those pain pills. Just kidding. Nice drawings.

Barbara! I see you drink REAL beer! :evil: Molson Canadian! Nice work.

Tracy what awesome egg cups to demonstrate the slinky theory!!!

Stacy, I only use one side of the page in my sketch book too. It's 90 lb paper and heavy but the trouble is if I sketch on the opposite page, the two pages will just rub off on each other and make a mess. Yes, such a waste!

Lise, WOW! That is ***some*** drawing!!! Beautiful!!

Back to painting and drawing now ..................

Deb

Judi1957
11-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Hope all are feeling better! No fun.

Cathi, Nice work. Have you tried the mirror? I'm going to check it out too. :wave:

Tracy, Nice work too. I believe I missed something along the way. What is the "Kool Aid Vantastic"? Awesome egg cup for visualizing.

Stacy, All recovered? I haven't found a way to eliminate the bleeding. If it is practice work, I don't worry about it, as I am thrifty (CHEAP :D , third kid in college). But never double side on the good stuff.

Dave, I really like your Window 'Still", The pail on the box is especially nice.

Ps-WELCOME!!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Lisa, You have a great drawing there, packed with great stuff!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Barb, I'm a Yingling girl myself :D , but Molsons good too!! Good work!!

QUESTION FOR ALL: I think I made a purchase blunder (thrifty-cheap-unsure/ :confused: . I had Paint Shop Pro 8 as a 60 day free trial, which expired yesterday. I bought Broderbund (manufacturer), The Print Shop Deluxe. Is this good software???. The guy who sold it to me said this may be what I need, he himself spent $800.00 on software and he is a pro graphic designer-as pro I am not and am not really sure what I would need, I took his recommendation. Anyone familiar with the software I bought-can anyone compare it to the PSP8. I also have Dell Photoshop 2.0 beginner on my machine which is mine. It (the Dell) doesn't appear to compare with the PSP8. I haven't even taken my purchase out of the box, so I can exchange.
HELP!!!

Metier
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Class 4 drawings.

cmwynn
11-21-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm not saying much lately, my computer goes so slowly that I give up before I get half of this read. But I have learned so much from all the comments and drawings. I finally "got" it about the slinky approach, still not too sure about the perspective part. But that is something to work on, for sure.

Cathie Jones
11-21-2004, 04:27 PM
JUDI, I have The Print Shop version 10, and it's just about worthless. Unless you intend to use their pre-programmed stuff to create letterhead, envelopes, greeting cards, etc., I wouldn't keep it. It isn't anything like the photoshop programs - it's a totally different animal.

I mainly use PhotoShop Elements and PaintShop Pro 8 for image manipulation, sizing, etc., and MS Publisher or Adobe PageMaker for creating greeting cards from my own artwork.

If anyone is looking for a large scanner, we just bought a "Plustek A3U OpticPro." It was a little over $400, including shipping, and scans up to 11x17. Does a fantastic job! We shopped and bought on-line, so if anyone wants the info just let me know.

JayD
11-21-2004, 04:42 PM
CJ--you should check out the new version of Paint Shop Pro--very nice.

bcpaints--great slinkys--I especially like the U shaped one. Regarding the martini glass, make sure that your ellipses are parallel. The gesso bottle: great job on this--to balance the bottle try drawing a center line to guide you in making the bottle symetrical. You can also check symetry with a mirror. Great job! :clap:

Tracy--THANK! Do me a favor--after I post the class for the spheres, post the image with the golg ball and we will use that as one of our practice examples.

Stacy--try to kieep in mind the use of the center line check your work with the mirror. The jar in the cyloinder is absolutley perfect by the way! Nice work! :clap:

Lisa--A very ambitious project--keep at it this is good. Pay attention to the center line on each image in order to balance the proportions.

Metier--these look really good. The first coffee cup--How many cylinders do you see? Do you see any spheres? Again, on the martini glass, use the center line to make your sides symetrical. Great job!! :clap:

Judi1957
11-21-2004, 05:37 PM
JayD,
Were you addressing me when you made the suggestion for the new version of Paint Shop Pro? Does the Spheres class start tomorrow or is the present class two weeks? Did your daughter like my daughters joke?

CJ, THANKS!!!! I do not do greating cards or anything like that, so I guess I'm going to return this. I want the software for image manipulation, sizing, etc. like you stated.

Imagination, or lack there of....This (attachment) 'Inside the cylinder' seemed like a good idea at the time, but it did not turn out like I had thought. Oh well, we are going to drawing hundreds....

JayD
11-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Judi, I was addressing Cathi but HEY--there's a Paint Shop Pro 9 out now! That is what I am currently using. My photoshop is on the Mac and my Mac is in the shop!

JayD
11-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Judi--cool port hole! :)

g7i7n7a
11-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi,
what exactly IS a golg ball...??

:evil: gina

Jet
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi,

:evil: gina

According to the position of the keys in the keyboard, it could have been a 'golD' ball instead... :D ....yuk, yuk..... :p

Regards :wave:

sultry
11-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Jay, for my last subject to do with cylinders and eclispes, I thought I would sketch one of my pet betas in his bowl and the glass candle by him. :)

Ohh & Judi that is a great port hole and I used Kool Aid Vantastic for a pitcher Deb made it reminded me of the old kool aid pitcher (just needed a happy face). She liked the comment so I told her I would use it as the same thing for Kudos or good job? So ~~KAV~~ to your port hole :clap:

Tracy thank you for those great slinky shots I can really see the light and shadow not to mention the midtones too.

Lisa beautiful cylinder still life I really love it ~~KAV~~ :clap:

You too Dave that still life is awsome ~~KAV~~ :clap:

JayD
11-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Sultry top notch--I used to raise betas--great fish but they can be ferocious in a small fish sort of way. this is great. Great perspective--good composition-wonderful!!!

All of you folks are so incredible!

Jet
11-21-2004, 07:40 PM
I was looking around this thread and got inspired for doing some quick sketches just before next lesson rolls in...

Regards :wave:

Judi1957
11-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Sultry, That is a fantastic composition and well done!!!! KAV to you too! :clap: :clap:

But, oh my :o , not a port hole :crying: :crying: . It is a round window I saw which had lace curtains. Oh well, it can be a port hole in the first class section of a cruise ship. Yeh, yeh, thats the ticket.... :D

Jet, I really like your egg! Good shading! :clap: :clap:

I just love the little smileys...

JayD
11-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi,

Golf Ball. Lisa, this is funny--I thought I made the correction. Seeing is an effort for me. That is why I draw using an opti-visor--thanks for spotting this for me. :clap:

sultry
11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Thank you Jay, could not achieved this without your help ( yippee I finally could nominate an award to you. Only one a day it said, so another day another award for you. Jay ~KAV~ for your wonderful teaching and patience.

Ohhh sorry Judi I thought it was port hole too but it is still a wonderful round window. ~KAV~

Jet hey your screws and egg slinky are ~KAV~:D

oh by the way, Jay I am still going to tackle that cougar on my own :cat:

Edited to add....I never realized how much everyone can contribute to each one of us by constructive comments and tips that they have learned by doing their own assignments. Thank you everyone for posting and please keep it up, it helps us all.

What I learned in class 4 was to darken my edges but to blend them out. It will eliminate the harsh line. I also learned to do that is to use the pencil in a fast rolling action.

Cathie Jones
11-21-2004, 09:43 PM
I was looking around this thread and got inspired for doing some quick sketches just before next lesson rolls in...

Funny, Jet, that's what keeps happening to me! I think I've done all I can for a lesson, then start looking through the thread and I can't wait to do more!

So, here's my final (really!) entry for this week. I tried to straighten the pitcher. I think the other items were okay, but the pitcher was done before this lesson. So, I gave it a straight bottom line and a center line, and straightened the scan. Hope I have it this time!

JayD
11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Jet, if I am ever down Mexico Way--I am going to have to look you up--you have the most interesting things lying about your house--not to mention the cool trees.

Cathi--vast improvement--does the center line help?

Lastly--i just finished the lesson for class 5--have a couple of drawings to nip off and snap some photos but It should be ready to post on time. :)

Judi1957
11-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Sultry, You do not need to apologize for that (port hole thing), it's funny. I thought the pitcher JayD posted at the beginning of the lesson was a kettle. And everybody else knew it was a pitcher, but me....like I said...funny.

Looking forward to Class 5!!!!

JayD
11-21-2004, 10:57 PM
By the way, that pitcher that I drew used ALL circles--a colored pencil technique calle circulism. :D So mine did look a bit odd.

marilyn h
11-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Jet, your renditions are wonderful. THe egg with the wire is exceptional.

Cathy, your vase or pitcher looks perfect.

marilyn h
11-22-2004, 06:32 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2004/4759-Perspective.jpg

Here's mine! Still not quite sure on doing this. MOre practice with actual articles is needed.

JayD
11-22-2004, 07:01 AM
Marilyn, you definitely live in a different plane of existence. I have decided that you are the Mr. Mxpyklyx of art :D Wonderful cylinders--I see you leaped ahead to class 6 with the cones. :D

Beautiful use of perspective--chaos and controlled at the same time. :)

idcrisis55
11-22-2004, 07:08 AM
Wow, stay away a day and see what happens, so many posts :)

Judi, 32 lbs, wow. Doesn't it feel great to be "almost slinky" again :). Loved that pun. So are you continuing with the low-carb? ROFL, I liked your parrot joke :)

I liked the inside of the cylinder you drew. Nice work on it.

Deb, I can see all the work you put into those drawings and the slinkys. Maybe this will help to paint tornados and stormy weather like we have in Oklahoma. You caught the shape of the pitcher and the cups very well. I'll have to try the slinky approach on the coffee cup. Then there is the vase, nice work on it. All that shading but it looks perfect for the slinky style.

Glad you liked the drawing of the bowl & tomatoes and Saturday's breakfast Deb, thanks! Would you believe a breakfast of overeasy eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy was fixed for me lol. I know "fat city" but I love a country breakfast!

Mary, thanks for the thoughts and prayers for my sis . She is doing very well so far :). Also, thanks for the comments on the breakfast drawing. Goodness Mary, I hope you are able to eat something solid by now. Really nice work on that planter and the plant. Your ellipses look perfect and love the shading.

Sultry, that is really good slinky work on the glasses and the coffee cup. You even applied it to the pencil, how cool.

Wow, sultry, nice work on the table and vase drawing. It really is beautiful.

Hi Cathie, really nice drawings, especially like the key and the flower. I am seeing slinkys everywhere now, are you? What a difference between the two pitchers. This last one is excellent!!!

Hi ps_d, nice to have another person in class :). I'm looking forward to seeing your posts!

Dave, you have all the shapes in this drawing. Like the textures you created and light/darks values especially on that lunch box. Interesting that you only added color to the pumpkins. I liked that touch.

Michelle, hope the shoulder and arm are getting better. I'm battling that too in the shoulder and upper back. The pain radiates down through all of the arm doesn't it.

Good line drawings, especially that screwdriver. What I also liked is that you drew the center lines without a ruler.

Barbara you are doing very well with the slinkys and the line drawings of the shapes. I especially liked the martini glasses :)

Tracy, cool slinky egg cups. Those would be really good for practice. Thanks for sharing them :)

Stacy, I took a quick peek at your commission painting this morning and it is coming a long beautifully. Good slinky work and the cylinders look great.

Lisa, what beautiful shading in your drawing. It looks great with all those cylinders.

metier, good work on the coffee cup and the martini glass.

Connie, it is frustrating when the computers slow down and it takes so long for a page to load. That happens to me too because I am on dial-up. I also think I have the slinky approach and like you am not too sure about the perspective part. I think I have it until I go to do one on my own :( but like you said that is something to work on.

Jet, cool drawings, especially the slinky egg cup.

Marilyn, gorgeous cylinders (never thought cylinders could be beautiful but yours are lol.

Again, hope I didn't miss anyone's work. It was a pleasure to see what everyone is doing!

Ann

Subway
11-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I am amazed at both the quality and the quantity of work you guys have pumped out over the weekend. Between taking the kids to a train show and starting housecleaning for the holidays, my drawing time was minimal. Do have one item I will try to upload this evening - a bell jar.

The eyeball pic was inspired by a thread from either portraiture or the figure forum, but with little searching time I was unable to find it. Jay, it came from a suggestion of yours. Do you recall the thread? Also, I've never cross-posted, so please feel free to either tell me how or to move it.

Thanks,

Jim

Subway
11-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Found the source - it is in drawing and sketching, which is why I couldnt' find it in the other ones. It's under Potrait checklist - reposted. I will try to copy the post to over there.

JayD
11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Jet, would you mind posting Reinhard's list in the FAQ links.

Also, Reinhard and Deb Legers guest lectures have now posted so you should find Reinhard's list there as well. :)

idcrisis55
11-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Here is my key for Class 4. Better late than never, right! Oh, and the background on the drawing was kind of messy so I flooded it with white in Photoshop :D Hope that is okay?

Subway
12-01-2004, 12:44 PM
Not as much drawing time as I would like. Tried this bel jar a few days ago.

JayD
12-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Ann, I have never flooded the background before but I use photoshop and other assorted JET-skis to get a good crop so that is perfectly fine. You should take this piece and start playing with values. It would be perfect for it . Good job! :clap:

Subway--I really like the Bel Jar--its a same to put that liquid to waste. Drop a pencil in the and add that to the drawing and then not how the pencil becomes distorted. It should add some extra punch to your drawing.

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Nice work on the jar Subway. I haven't tried those yet and am adding it to my "to do" list lol.

Thanks Jay. Do you mean deepen the values for more contrasts?

JayD
12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
precisely--remember that each object that you draw will have a range of values from lightest to darkest. Setting the lightest and darkest values first will enable you to achieve a controlled variety of contrast.

idcrisis55
12-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks Jay. I really appreciate the time you take to solve these puzzlers for us!

L2isa2
12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi,

Curiosity , has driven me to question what I am reading and the way I work,

I read in many comments about layering the color/ graphite , and then also setting the tones/values of the color/graphite before drawing. Cross hatching is another and stippling has also been mentioned.

This has raised some questions about the way I work , I don't do any of these things , I work from what I see, so if I see a very dark dark then I press hard on the pencil I am using at the time , if that does not work I erase and use a softer pencil and still press hard. The only crossing that happens on my drawings is if the lines go over the top of some other lines by accident .

If we use the standardised(I presume!) techniques commented on won't that make us all uniform in how we do our work even if it turns out different (Boy that is a crazy way of saying things !!) ?

If we use our own techniques which do not follow the "standard" then each piece of work will be unique in the way it was done and the finished work would still be even more unique ?

so how do we continue ? do we follow the standard techniques and go back to the beginning?
or we continue on doing things our way which might improve or might not ?
or maybe a combination of both ?

Doing the combination of our own way and the standard techniques could be termed as :

an improving beginner or not ?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sorry about this I am rambling and thinking out loud !

Going to disappear now !

Regards
lisa

Ottersong
12-18-2004, 11:12 PM
I am not having much trouble with the cylinder but the elipses are driving me crazy. No matter how hard I try they seem to turn out wonky. The freehand glass in the first pix looks really wierd to me on the bottom. Did I do sonething wrong? Te bottle looks a little strange also. The plastic container in #3 is freehand and is definately wonky.

If I were to do a still life IRL I would use a ruler and make sure that my elipses were correct. It is so much easier to work from a photo once I can find the eye level.

JayD, in the photo of the cup how do I find the eye level? again, like the dice it was photographed at a wierd angle and I found that it has a vanishing point underneath it.

Otter, (who thought she know how to draw) :rolleyes:

vasilkadifeli
12-19-2004, 12:23 PM
I still have to go over the whole thread but I have a few drawings allready...

a small drawing I did at work on Friday... I used the perspective lines here but I drew them out of my head... a bottle, a wine glass, and a coffee cup :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/32140-Class_4_exercise_5a.jpg

I did the following on Saturday... didn't use any perspective lines so the glass is a little bit off... I used things I found around at my girlfriend's house... following are a bottle, a pepper mill, a coca cola tin can, and a glass :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/32140-Class_4_exercise_5b.jpg

and here is my last drawing I did today (Sunday)... didn't use any perspective lines... a lantern from my girlfriend's terrace :
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2004/32140-Class_4_exercise_5c.jpg

JayD
12-20-2004, 09:42 AM
the perspective is really good--you have that down pat--I would work on bringing your ellipses up to the same level as the perspective. Nice work so far.

mhimeswc
12-20-2004, 01:12 PM
I like your lantern - nice job turning a cylinder into a six sided object. Perspective looks good to me.

Michelle

vasilkadifeli
12-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks a lot Michelle...

Ottersong
12-20-2004, 09:41 PM
JayD, I think that the problem with my elipses is that I was working flat. I finally managed to get down to the studio but my drawing board was still upstairs. I will try to get some more elipses done this week on a properly tilted board and see if that makes a difference. I have been rushing to try and catch up with the rest of the class, maybe I had better slow down a little.

Otter/Mary

JayD
12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Hey Otts--go back to the first class and there is a demo of my daughter using a drawing board--take the board and put it in your lap with it propped against a table. Now give it a try.

jmfletch
12-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Lesson 4 seemed a bit easier than the first three. Attached are my efforts at the slinky, random cylindrical objects, and some of the reference pictures. I think the pitcher looks nice although it doesn't look very much like the original. :D I know practise practise practise.

Joe

Jet
12-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Jet, would you mind posting Reinhard's list in the FAQ links.

Also, Reinhard and Deb Legers guest lectures have now posted so you should find Reinhard's list there as well. :)

JayD, excellent links indeed..Congratulations to Reinhard..

Guys & Gals, I am sorry to inform you all, that due to circumstances beyond my control I've decided, to quit having any link-threads at this forum from this moment on.

I understand that my threads were wasting WC storage space, and many members had expressed their preference toward a closed and condensed help thread instead, so, due to the excessive length of my threads had to disappear.

According to the new rules:
* From now on, all links must be PMed to the forum's moderator : Artdude, and he will decide if that link is worth being added to the official D&S forum's help thread..If it's a duplicate link, or one out of this forum's interest, it will be rejected...Only those links that gather certain features will be added, to avoid "bloated" threads with useless posts..

I encourage you all, to keep helping Artdude on adding links to the help thread..

Thanks for your kind attention

Respectful Regards

In spite of this unexpected turn of events, I still keep gathering links about digital arts, art history, gizmos and any type of drawing , so, if anyone has heard of any good ones lately, please PM me those links directly to me...

I am creating a 'links-newsletter', that will be sent directly, only to those members interested in receiving a monthly edition of... The Linksletter in their e-mailbox ;)

The first edition of The Linksletter is due to appear late next january 2005 ..

Those interested, may sign-in, by sending me a PM with your personal e-mail address..
-this info will be used ONLY for the "linksletter" and nothing else.-

May you all, Have Happy Holidays and a healthy New Year

Kind Regards
:cool:

cleo99
01-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Happy New Year to all.

Here is my cylindrical contribution.

jmfletch
01-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey cleo - good job!! :clap:

Joe

sultry
01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Cleo nice shading :) but I am looking at your elipses and the coffee cup looks pointed to me. You need to think slinky when sketching elipses.

Other then that everything looks pretty well done :clap:

cleo99
01-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Sultry, you speak the truth!

It helps that I posted it sideways, i't not so obvious when viewed the other way. I have not yet tried the look at it in the mirror thing, but think I will try it in the future.

rosebard
01-19-2005, 05:55 PM
this one goes like I have posted on class 3.
I think by the weekend I will be able to read all the posts which It will help me a lot understand everything.

Not good yet but just practticing the concecpts. Better things will appear soon.

Rose Bard

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Rose :wave:

Good slinky practice there! I also like your wine glass. It seems the glass base and vessel are a little off center and the stem leans a bit. Did you draw your centerline first, perpendicular to the bottom of your paper?, this helps you to avoid leaning the object. This a a pretty common problem but if you draw the centerline and balance each side so they are equal and mirrored, that all goes away. You will find that is indispensible.
The scan is a bit hazy and I see you have an ice cube there, but I can't see it too well to comment.
When you read all the posts in the lesson, that will help a great deal. All in all..great job!
:clap: :clap:

rosebard
01-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Judy. Center line? No, I didn't do one. But thanks for teaching me that. Well both posts (class 3 and 4) was a quick reading and drawing. I went back to the chair again and got nervous. And decided to do class 3 and then, end up doing 4 also. Enjoy from the four lessons this one better. I will give more attention and do more exercises and some reading. It was kind of relaxing time to do just that.

Rose Bard

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Ah yes, that chair! :evil: :evil: :evil: LOL
Happy reading Rose! :D

sultry
01-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Rose looks like Judi has told you what was needed so I will just say that yes plenty of practice helps.
Hey Rose, do ya know, I still go back and try to do some of my prior projects. Infact I am working on my coffee pot and the kitties again....I am working on class 10 project along with my daugher's portrait. I even went back and did my tree over. So you keep practicing and you will see a big difference.

Exeter
01-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Hi,

Ar last some drawing time available. Here is some of my first drawings for this class. I will do more and post when done. C&C on these welcome.

sultry
01-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi Werner,
Ok what I am seeing is you need to practice sketching your elispes.
the objects you have drawn need to have strong solid elispes (no dents or bends in them) to make your objects look more realistic. Also, sketch this in a lighter line edge and show more of the shading with lines that follow each object.

rosebard
01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
There I go again..

My bottle!

Judi1957
01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey Rose,
That is a lovely bottle. I love the texture! It looks like paper mache. I see a little bit off symmetrically, ever so slight at the top where it curves to go towards the bottleneck. I also like how your bottle is somewhat translucent at the green area of the neck. Great job Rose!

sultry
01-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Rose this is so pretty :) If your not going for realistic it is a beautiful piece all on its own.
If you are going for realistic, then you need to follow your center line by having both sides match in porportions from it.
edited ...hi Judi I see we x posted. :)

rosebard
01-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks Judy and Sultry.

I did use a center line. Which made all work easier. I did measure the sides also. So I may have lost in the sides near the bottle neck, I see they are not alike. But I did use all the help I could to get it straight. :D :D :D

JayD, I have to work that tower again. So I will show it sometime by the end of the week.

Rose :wave:

JayD
01-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Bard,for inspiration--go back and check out some of Deepat's stuff. Dee had this habit of doing a great pick and then re-doing it over and over--she just kept getting better and better.

If you have a photo of the tower, do try to post it as I would like to see that angle you are working against. :wave: :wave:

Bill Foehringer
02-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Here are some of my sketches for class four. I did these last night. Ran out of time and energy tonight. I'll do more from this lesson and redo any that need work tomorrow. I hope. BillF

sultry
02-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Hi Bill,
So sorry I missed this and after you read my C&C, I hope you will not be angry with me. This will be long so, my advice is to print it out and really look at your drawings and see on each subject I C&C on. Well your here like the rest of us in 101 and it is to get better at drawing so the only way to do that is to see what is needed.

First let me explain when I C&C it is because I want you to see what you did not see when you drew it. That is to open your eyes to something that can improve your art and help you in future drawings to automatically know what is needed.

Ok I am looking at your pot and I think your elispe is off, also I do not think you have a centerline, if you do, I think you may of not followed it. I like how you shaded the lid (you followed the objects surface). The pot you need to follow the surface as it is curved ( a cylinder) You have it with verticle lines and not at all curving.
I think if you curved the shading it will give a more 3d effect.

The Table (even though it is upside down) lol are you spooking us out? Looks in perspective. The legs may not be portioned as in size but that may be just my eyes.

The basket thingy is a great thing to do to the pot by the way. see the slinky effect how much rounder it looks compared to your pot? You do need to make your first elispe as perfect as possible so the rest of the slinkies follow it.

The bottle is shaded with straight lines and if you were to do the slinky effect it would look more 3d also. What I see is that you have drawn a flatter elispe for the base but you have made a wider one for the middle and neck. You need to keep them all in the same size. A centerline would help you to keep both sides of the neck even.

Teapot also, needs a even base elispe and center line. Slinky all the way up.
I see you have shaded in straight broken vertical lines curving vertically if you shade horizontally with curves it may help the realistic effect.

I do like the key, now look how your shading lines are curved almost horizontally. see how much more the key looks 3d compared to the coffee cup? The cup is better at getting the over all shape by the way. but the only thing that should be shaded with straight lines is the coffee it self. Which you did a good job at. :) The cup needs curvature shading so does the handle like the key has.

The starting of a glass or cylinder needs a even elispe and the top is smaller then the base. If it is supposed to be then you have one side straight and the other side slanting, shouldn't both sides slant?

I am not sure what the other object is, but portioned right and that too could use some shading like the key.

I think you have the idea of curvature shading because you have done such a wonderful job with the key. :clap:

Bill Foehringer
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Thanks. No. Not spooking you out. I did that table while I was helping daughter with biology. I wanted to see it in perspective. Only problem is that I made it about two times too long, hence the extra set of legs in the middle. It's upside down because I just reused the paper, it had some room left on it. The incompletes are just that, false starts or other things not related to the class.
I'll redo everything and try to be more disciplined. I've used up all the blank spaces on the pad so future efforts will not be cluttered with extraneous marks.
Don't mind your comments at all. Feedback is why I'm starting over with the basics. I never took any kind of art class or mechanical drawing class so this is where I need to start. I need to do the work. (It's hard to work full time and run a household with a chronically ill/disabled spouse and a teen daughter. I'm trying to carve out a little space for me in my life through artistic expression. So my efforts will be sporadic.) BillF
PS have you seen the February Plein Air Magazine?

sultry
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Glad you understand Bill and I did not take any art classes or drafting either so I do relate with you. :)
(It's hard to work full time and run a household with a chronically ill/disabled spouse and a teen daughter. I'm trying to carve out a little space for me in my life through artistic expression. So my efforts will be sporadic.) BillF

Wow Bill it does sound like you have your hands full. I am sure taking a little time for yourself can only help you and your family in a good way. So in all reality your still thinking of the family by getting personal quality time. It makes you a happier person and the family will get to reap the benefits of it. :)
No I did not see the Feb issue, why do you ask?

rosebard
02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Bard,for inspiration--go back and check out some of Deepat's stuff. Dee had this habit of doing a great pick and then re-doing it over and over--she just kept getting better and better.

If you have a photo of the tower, do try to post it as I would like to see that angle you are working against. :wave: :wave:

Hey JayD I just read this post. Well the last pic I sent wasnt good. And actually the drawing also. So there isnt much to see. Do you want me to redo the tower again??

I have this stupid thing of as soon as do something I want to post. NO matter what. But I am trying hard to overcome this.

Kiss from Brazil

Rose Bard :wave:

Bill Foehringer
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Plein Air- Marc from the WC Plein Air Forum was featured and did a demo. BillF