Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Perspective

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I painted this from a photo in an attempt to practice "perspective"...which I have a lot of trouble with. Does it work at all? I spent a lot of time on it and think it is finished. Any suggestions, comments/critiques good or bad would be most appreciated.
Thanks. Marilyn

gonzapa
11-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Nice work.

From a scholarly perspective, the mathematical perspective looks correct, however there are things you can do to enhance the perception of distance. First is the strength or contrast in lines. Blending lines further away help give the sense of depth also reducing the contract as the steps get further away. Also there is the reduction in luminosity. Given the same source of light, the brightness of the object decreases with the square of distance from the observer. What that means to the artist, is that light sources further away need to be toned down appropriately. So the steps further away should be less bright than the steps up close.

bocote
11-15-2004, 12:26 AM
perspective does indeed look correct, but gosh what a hard subject to practice with. Irregular steps from a low vantage. Gonzapa had some good points with distance. For practice I'd get a cheap pad of paper and a ruler and have it with pencil.... much quicker than painting, but it looks like you have a good handle on it.

have fun

chelista
11-15-2004, 03:25 AM
I like this, especially the bushes, and I think the steps certainly recede. Looks crunchy underfoot, that snow :)

dreamtraveler
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much gonzapa, bocote and chelista for your advice and replies. I really feel so much better to know that at least, from the perspective angle, the painting works. I worked this thing to death, but maybe if I have the energy, I will tone down the steps as they recede.

Gilberte
11-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Excellent exercise on perspective. Composition wise the bushes are somewhat symetrical but your palette compensates a lot.

dreamtraveler
11-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks Gilberte for your reply.