PDA

View Full Version : Saint Paul Akimbo

Tamana
11-14-2004, 05:28 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-14-2004/18021_To_the_best_of_our_ability.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Saint Paul Akimbo
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: An Acre
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
A few gorgeously dreamy hours at the state park...

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh Tam

This is very gorgeous, the blues are exquisite.
And that face.......hummmmm :D

Is there a mountain in the background with a Cross ??

Lovely and fun Tam

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Tam, Is that a kind of selportrait ?? ;)

Artistanne
11-14-2004, 05:55 PM
she is lovely, wonderful expression on her face
love the blue sky

haaf
11-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Tam
Dunno
Missing here the strong emotion I normally get viewing yr work.
Maybe it has to do also with the new medium. It's to me less direct.
I also didn't know what the word akimbo means, so I googled and quess what?
Caroline ;)

Mikey
11-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Tam, I love the colours generally, although I'd like to see the blue repeated somewhere else near the bottom of the painting somehow. Was St. Paul looking at you?

Mikey

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Tam
Dunno
Missing here the strong emotion I normally get viewing yr work.
Maybe it has to do also with the new medium. It's to me less direct.
I also didn't know what the word akimbo means, so I googled and quess what?
Caroline ;)

Caroline, Isn`t that JerryW ??

Tam, this work appeals to me a lot !!

She`s hiding something , isn`t she ???

The expresion on her face as the same emotion as ........the piano I`m listening to right now !!!!! ( makes sense ??)

Love it

Tamana
11-14-2004, 09:18 PM
OMG!! My goodness!! Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It's funny -- that in this forum unless you POST to the thread (irrespective of whether or not you ACTUALLY POST THE THREAD) it won't show on your "My WC" page!!! It seems like no one's responding!!! lolol!!

*Phew* lol

Daniel x's three! Let me see --

1. Thank you for the lovely comments about the blues/face. And, yes and no regarding the mountain with the cross... :cool:

2. I don't know. I couldn't see myself clearly in the sky today. It was too blue. :angel:

3. "The expresion on her face as the same emotion as ........the piano I`m listening to right now!!!!!!" It makes perfect sense and was a very lovely thing to say -- thank you so muchly for that. :)

Anne - Thank you so much!! I appreciate your eyes and words. :)

Caroline - Thank you for saying!! That's EXACTLY what I was going for...more of a peacefulness rather than a strong surge of emotions today. It was too gorgeous and too serene where I was at to be emotional about anything -- just peacefully accepting, rather, of everything. Someone over in abstract nailed that to a T!!! Strong emotion is good, and for the most part I am; however, peacefulness is necessary for balance - Nature and Love does that for me everytime.

LOL @ googling Akimbo!!! Some things aren't always such a mystery to be uncovered. ;) The definition to Akimbo:

adv.

In or into a position in which the hands are on the hips and the elbows are bowed outward: children standing akimbo by the fence.

adj.

1. Placed in such a way as to have the hands on the hips and the elbows bowed outward: children standing with arms akimbo.
2. Being in a bent, bowed, or arched position: “There he remained, dead to the world, limbs akimbo, until we left” (Alex Shoumatoff).

Her position just reminded me of Akimbo, that's all. ;) Started to just title it Akimbo but thought prefacing with Saint Paul gave it a nice ring -- has a way about the sound of it...

And here you were thinking I was being less direct. ;)

Mikey - Thanks for looking and saying!! Great suggest about the blue!! I'll definitely keep that in mind. No, actually I had my back to him. ;)

Thanks again everyone for the positives. Your time and sharing are always appreciated!!

Edit:

I forgot Caroline -- Before the wind picked up too much and the clouds started rolling in hard -- I layed myself back in the meadow and snapped this for you. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/18021-Carolina_blue_for_Caroline.jpg

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
AAAAAH Tam

To take that picture for Caroline is so nice !! :)

Don`t know much about St-Paul except St-Paul`s Cathedral in London !!!

In the Dome of St-Paul`s Cathedral , you can "Whisssssssssssper" like you want and the person across you ,or in front of you, (I don`t klnow how many ten`s of feet away), can ear you !!! , feel you !! Know you !! Guess you !! Nice huh ??

So, you can say ANYTHING, and he or she will ........know :) . wow .
You CAN even say I L.... E you !!! to someone close !!

Well. this is about what I feel about the " Figure " (face), that is here, on the painting.
Your painting !!

There is a certain " vulnerability " ( ??? )
I am not unsensible about it..

Actually , I am more......

Daniel

bocote
11-15-2004, 12:17 AM
that smile and figure posture... excellent. technically it feels a bit unrefined, but I really like it how it is. composition and theory very nice. some of the crosshatch removal of medium on right is a bit distracting, but thats a minor. the scratches to review structure is nice.

have fun

Tamana
11-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Actually, Daniel - it's Saint Paul de Vence - one of the most beautiful villages in the Provence of France. :) Here's a link you might enjoy...I may be pulling it up soon for some more photos - keeps a dream alive..you know. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217813

Your words are as resounding as the echo in a wishing well of penny deep. Thank you for expressing them with such eloquence.

Bocote - Actually, there was a suggestion over in Abs/Cont....and I altered her because it really was niggling me too, just finished fixing to clean brushes -- hope you like the changes in her posture...I think it works. Hope so, anyway...will photograph her in the morning. To late now --

Thanks again, you two.

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 02:15 AM
ST-PAUL DE VENCE...Of course!!!!!!!!!!!!

But St-Paul`s Cathedral...You have to go ...

st-paul de vence
st-paul de vence

Of course :)

Tamana
11-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Of course... :)

I've been -- I lived right outside of London for years. :)
The thing I remember is the reverent awe -- the overpowering silence commanded not by dictation, but by respect. It was memorable -- that...and a tour of a castle that somehow I knew exactly where to go without a guide...tunnels included. ;)

Actually -- the guide followed me astounded. :angel:
I was only ten years old.

NO ONE can convince me we don't have history in our blood that remembers when stirred with the kiss of familiarity.

Something tells me -- some thing deep inside my heart -- that Saint Paul will be the same...I already feel it.

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 02:21 AM
Of course... :)

I've been -- I lived right outside of London for years. :)
The thing I remember is the reverent awe -- the overpowering silence commanded not by dictation, but by respect. It was memorable -- that...and a tour of a castle that somehow I knew exactly where to go without a guide...tunnels included. ;)

Actually -- the guide followed me astounded. :angel:
I was only ten years old.

NO ONE can convince me we don't have history in our blood that remembers when stirred.

I was in Crouch-end !!!

Maybe we have crossed...probly :D

And for those who want to learn about life.........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229245&page=1&pp=15

Tamana
11-15-2004, 02:25 AM
We very well may have, Daniel.

That's nice of you, posting that link. Thank you. Lord, I was going to bed 15 min ago!! I sitll have brushes to clean!

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Tell me Tam, Is there a kinda selfportrait here... ?

I saw the " Were we came from..." and ...I don`t know !

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 02:27 AM
Oh Tam, also, Have you seen the moon tonight ??

haaf
11-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Tamana
The blue sky is very terrific! thanks very much.(I hope to see similar blue skies around christmas in Florida).Yesterday it was pretty ok here weatherwise, however I spend a big part of the day indoors at the big Karel Appel exhibit here in Brussels. You know ....dutch artist part of the COBRA movement.
I'm just wondering with your way of work and speed if you will stick to oilpaints. I hope it won't stop your intuitive approach.
Caroline;)

Tamana
11-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Caroline - glad you enjoyed the blue. It's like that here year-round really -- very deceptive looking outside even now. Gorgeouosly blue and beautiful looking up; deadly cold with heavy heavy frost on the ground.

Glad you got to spend some time at the exhibit. Plan to do a lot more meself after this weather passes -- too beautiful to pass up for now (Winter days coming soon enough...).

I'm just wondering with your way of work and speed if you will stick to oilpaints. I hope it won't stop your intuitive approach.

No way. :) There's always the little pieces inbetween. ;)
I think oil will always be a part of my painting now in some way, be it an entire piece of mixed in. But mixed (I'm pretty certain) will ALWAYS be my MAIN medium. Now what I mix is likely to change...;)

Here's an update I mentioned to Bocote last night. Someone over in Abs. mentioned she looked "elven" so to speak because of her short torso against the length of her arms and legs -- must admit -- THAT bothered me as well....so anyway, played around (mostly for the experience of playing around with oils) and pushed and redesigned and came up with this one.

She's on the drying block for now (which is where I think she needs to be. When she dries I'll adjust her colors between the upper and lower body and lay into it with something else I'm chomping at the bit to try.

So? Which one?

1. Wow, you did pretty good!!!

2. DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

3. What the....?!

;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Nov-2004/18021-One.jpg

Tell me Tam, Is there a kinda selfportrait here... ?

I saw the " Were we came from..." and ...I don`t know !

But THAT'S the fun part!! Don't you think?! Not knowing?! :)

And...no, I missed da moon last night. :( The clouds had rolled in...

Mikey
11-15-2004, 09:33 AM
Tam, of course I'm very pleased to see you using oils now. I don't know, but it does seem to have opened up a whole new world of colour for you.

Mikey

Tamana
11-15-2004, 10:17 AM
http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

Missing da moon sonata...

:cool:

Caroline, got you some hydrangeas ;)

Have a GREAT Monday, all.

Rabbit Twilight
11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Definately the second one Tamara! I love the textures you have going, and I like the figure better in this last version.

haaf
11-15-2004, 10:42 AM
(talking about akimbo)

Gilberte
11-15-2004, 05:15 PM
I'm still digesting the contenance of the comments on this thread ........

Tam, you must make this painting your "carte de visite" ! yes yes yes !

Tamana
11-16-2004, 09:25 AM
sorry to pull this back up but REALLY wanted to thank some peeps...

Rabbit!! Thank you for saying...most seem to like the revision better. Added the violet back last night and as far as colors goes, she resembles the first now -- though, in all honesty, gotta admit I wished I hadn't touched her. There was just something magical about the first I lost, though I think it felt sorry for me (yes..okay I cried I ADMIT IT) and is returning now. ;) (God I'm a dork).

Lesson Number 295792.002a. (for me) about painting: NEVER alter a painting before a 24 hour consideration period. :wink2:

Mikey: SO appreciate you noticing the colors etc. I really love these oils...but op's is and always will remain my first love. :) Good thing they dance so beautifully together. ;)

Madame!!! *mmmmmwah's!!!* Gosh I ALWAYS loved those tiny calling cards. Does this mean I need to send you and Saing Paul one before I come'a'cawlin'? (old southerne slang there ;) ). If I do have cards made, Madame - YOU will receive the first off the press. :)

LOL Caroline @ akimbo!!! Great play there!! Reminds me of the dog on Dick Dastardly for some reason...rolling around and wheezing. hahahahaha. Glad you enjoyed the moon site...discovered it a couple of years ago and hadn't thought about it until yesterday. ;)

Thanks again all for supporting saying encouraging. Always appreciated. :)