MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-14-2004/45754_swimming.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Swimming Upstream
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8 x 18
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
2 experimental pieces cut up and re-combined to make one--colored india ink, linseed oil, pastel on watercolor paper

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
comments welcome

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
What a movement. I am impressed.

Looks like a storm on the ocean.

I like the little "fishies" :)

Mikey
11-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Anne, I normally leave the abstracts well alone when it comes to crits. But this time I'll go by instinct and say yes. I had never thought of linseed oil having this kind of use.

Mikey

haaf
11-14-2004, 05:13 PM
like stirring in a tropical cocktail
good you've put the deep darks in

no clue how you've managed that mix technique
Caroline ;)

Artistanne
11-14-2004, 05:51 PM
thanks all!

those little fishies just emerged all by themselves, one of those happy accidents...

Mikey, I didn't try my hand at abstract until about a year ago--I find it frees me up a lot and helps me to stay loose in my representational pieces. As for critiquing an abstract, you have a good eye for design--that's what counts, so there's no reason you can't critique an abstract as effectively as you can critique a more traditional approach.

as for the mixing technique, I have always wanted to try to make those marbelized papers that were popular as book liners...having no clue how to do it, but having overheard someone talking about it in a class many years ago, I decided to give it a go

I took some linseed oil and poured in into a pan of water (I used a glass sheet cake pan), mixed it up so there were beads of oil on the surface tension I threw in some colored india ink and dipped some watercolor paper in the mix...put that down and continued to drip the various ink colors directly onto the paper, then sort of rolled them around so they mixed...let it dry flat and then added some pastel dust on top

I did the originals almost a year ago and put them into my "magic bag" of old oil palettes, prints of my work, interesting stuff that I like to save for use in collages. Found them today and decided to do something with them, so I cut up one of the pieces, combined it with the other by gluing them onto a foam board and then further joined them compositionally with pastel over the original mixed media paintings. :)

Mikey
11-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Anne,

Well yes, I can see that graphic design often deals with colour fields and placement in the same way as abstract paintings. In some ways I think they are similar. I love massive colour fields with small amounts of strongly contrasting colour.

Mikey

MvdLinden
11-14-2004, 08:15 PM
Brilliantly creative expression of JOY.

Or perhaps that should be Koi.

Thanks for sharing

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 08:37 PM
thanks all!

those little fishies just emerged all by themselves, one of those happy accidents...
Well anne, this is a happy " accident", no, It`s an instinct !!!

Mikey, I didn't try my hand at abstract until about a year ago--I find it frees me up a lot and helps me to stay loose in my representational pieces. As for critiquing an abstract, you have a good eye for design--that's what counts, so there's no reason you can't critique an abstract as effectively as you can critique a more traditional approach.
Mikey as a good eye indeed, ........The left one :D
But I don`t see it really as an abstract, more like "freedom"(?)

as for the mixing technique, I have always wanted to try to make those marbelized papers that were popular as book liners...having no clue how to do it, but having overheard someone talking about it in a class many years ago, I decided to give it a go.
Well, good for you anne. Really. ...To even try for the first time is the most difficult. Bravo. :clap:

I did the originals almost a year ago and put them into my "magic bag" of old oil palettes, prints of my work, interesting stuff that I like to save for use in collages. Found them today and decided to do something with them, so I cut up one of the pieces, combined it with the other by gluing them onto a foam board and then further joined them compositionally with pastel over the original mixed media paintings. :)
Lucky you , that you didn`t trash anything. Like me ! :(

Again, félicitation, c`est très beau.

Daniel

Lynxes123
11-14-2004, 08:45 PM
What a wonderful, colorful ocean scene with fishies! I love all the shapes and movement and color! :clap: :clap:

Tamana
11-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I'm starting to watch for your name, Anne. ;)

Beautiful dance of color.

bocote
11-15-2004, 12:51 AM
would love to see more "accidents". the little fish forms are grand here indeed... as well as the creative composition and medium use. A very attractive work.

have fun

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 01:59 AM
would love to see more "accidents". the little fish forms are grand here indeed... as well as the creative composition and medium use. A very attractive work.

have fun

I could use " accident "
But NO !!!
Everything is pl..nned !!!!!

Artistanne
11-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks all, I'm definitely going to give this technique some more tries. :)

Spyderbabe
11-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Warning - once you get into this experimental mixed media it really gets under your skin! See if you can locate any of the books by Maxine Masterfield - you'll have a blast throwing ink and color around (brushes totally not necessary!)

katelynalain
11-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I love how the vermillion/orange contrasts with those deep blues! has an oriental feel. very nice!

earthbot1
11-16-2004, 12:33 PM
wonderful painting

allanom
11-16-2004, 12:46 PM
What a great concept: to stay loose and have fun! (always give myself ::serious:: tasks of artmaking). This exudes pleasure and confidence. Well done.

Artistanne
11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks everyone--I guess I should "play" more often! :)

Thanks again for the comments and for looking.