PDA

View Full Version : Down Home "Fun" Christmas Present (W.I.P.)

cotopaxi_annie
11-14-2004, 02:29 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-14-2004/43938_family_photos_044.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-14-2004/43938_family_photos_045.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Down Home "Fun" Christmas Present (W.I.P.)
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a little "fun" piece that I am doing for Christmas for my son and daughter-in-law. Obviously, it is a new take on an old famous painting (but I can't remember the name of it). It is actually turning out to be harder work than I had imagined. I still have a long way to go, including adding the pitchfork. I think that it is going to be a fun idea, what do y"all think?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I guess that one question that I have is that I want the likeness to be close enough for them to recognize themselves but don't think that the painting should be to realitic looking. How do I go about doing both? I have attached a photo that I took their images from to work on this composit. Also, I wanted them to be smiling instead of the serious look that is in the original painting. Just a preference. All comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks $$$$$$

Annie

Dana Design
11-14-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi, Annie! I think this is a super idea! As for your questions, just go with your usual style. Yes, the smiling faces are just great. If you want the rest of the painting to be unrealistic, just sketchy paint in the details.

It's Grant Wood's "American Gothic". Wonderful! Be sure to post a follow-up!

Valri Ary
11-14-2004, 01:49 PM
What a wonderful Christmas gift idea! That is so clever of you. I think the smiling faces is the right way to go. Keeping them realistic is a good idea too and then the rest of it can be recognizable but doesn't have to be necessarily realistic (or like the orginal of it with the grumpy old folks!!) Please post again when it's done!

Valri

haaf
11-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Caroline ;)

cotopaxi_annie
11-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Thank you for the kind words and good suggestions/comments. I was also wondering what type of frame would be best for this little painting? I considered Barnwood or something like what. What do y'all think? I will submit progress reports as I progress or at least when I think that is is finished. Please feel free to make comments and any stage. Multiple Heads are better than one. Thanks,

Annie

bocote
11-15-2004, 12:30 AM
this is cute and will be very well recieved I am sure. I don't really have much to say to help you along, but be sure to study form rather than symbolic object. Use photoshop or something and posterize 9 the original photo and see how the forms work.

have fun

cotopaxi_annie
11-15-2004, 01:56 AM
Things are progressing. Just thought that I would post an update at to where things stand now. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. At this point, I need to finish the hand, add the pitchfork, and finish the house. I would appreciate additional comments and suggestions. I am wondering, also, if the trees and sky should be in more detail??? Thank you again for your time.

Bocote-I am sorry but I do not know enought about painting to fully understand your suggestion: "Study Form Rather Than Symbolic Object..."
Could you explain in a little further detail? I do have some type of Photoshop on my computer but I have no idea how to use it. I am trying to learn how to paint what I see rather than what I know is there but, sometimes, my mind just takes over and I paint what I know is there.

Thanks,

Annie

Dhuot
11-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Wow...

Caroline has good eyes !! :D