PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Canyon

woodguy
11-13-2004, 10:32 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-13-2004/5058_cottonwoodcanyon.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cottonwood Canyon
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A quick one!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything to make it last longer? Thanks, Jim

bocote
11-13-2004, 10:41 PM
woodguy. missed ya and everyone else.

nice blobbles of stone... bright stone. Tree structure good and composition fine. very nice quick painting, but it doesnt feel so quick. Its got your normal interesting form transistions. dark foregrounds always bring viewer right in. Greens good solid greens and not tide box artificial looking.

nice work.

Dhuot
11-13-2004, 10:44 PM
Well Woodguy, this looks like a nice painting. The tree is awsome.
But, is it stones ? A fire ?
Is there a fire ? :)

woodguy
11-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Bryan!

And thank you, Daniel! Is the fire too bright? It could very well snow tonight and cool things down a bit :wink2:

Thanks for looking and the comments. Jim

Dhuot
11-14-2004, 12:02 AM
Thanks, Bryan!

And thank you, Daniel! Is the fire too bright? It could very well snow tonight and cool things down a bit :wink2:

Thanks for looking and the comments. Jim

Cold tonight hey ??

Well, I got confused with the tittle, wich I need explanation !! :D
Maybe the fire could need a bit more dark colours...IMO

The far left of the painting is really....... :) museum !

woodguy
11-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Cold tonight? Yes, and snow flurries are expected. I did not answer your original question....it is not fire, but rocks! I thought you were refering to the "heat" of the color. I thought that perhaps you were suggesting that they (the rocks on the canyon wall) were much too warm and needed to be
toned (cooled) down a bit. And thank you for the comment about the far left of the painting. Jim

pero lane
11-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Bravo Jim!! :clap: Love the "fire"!! :)

aaasp
11-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Nice to see all that warmth on a chilly night in Europe. Very nice.

haaf
11-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Hi Jim
Great, good play withsharp lights
Like the silvery leaves very much
Caroline ;)

Gilberte
11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
The tree, the sky the general composition ... all good, very good. The stones did attract my attention strongly. Look a bit like chopped pork ready to be put on sticks for the barbecue ......... :wink2:

Tamana
11-14-2004, 09:53 PM
Lovely oranges against that blue of sky - balances nicely as well. Looks like the clouds are rising as smoke signals out of the rocks...

Always enjoy seeing your stuff, especially what's in the clouds. ;)

woodguy
11-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Thanks, Pat! I was trying to stoke the fire to keep Tony warm and to make sure Gilbertes pork cooked properly :wink2:

Thanks, Tony!

Thank you, Caroline!

Thanks, Gilberte! You are making me hungry :)

Thanks, Tamana! I wasn't sure about the clouds. I almost went overboard on the detail, but backed off when I decided that all that attention up in the sky would have drawn attention away from the canyon rocks.

Thanks all for looking and commenting! Jim

Wes Hyde
11-15-2004, 02:11 AM
Jim, excellent light! I enjoyed this mucho.

Wes

woodguy
11-15-2004, 02:24 AM
Thanks, Wes! Get well my friend and we will take a trip down to this locale to paint. South of Parker at Franktown, Cottonwood Canyon State Park. Jim