PDA

View Full Version : BIRD LADY 11-13-04 (possibly MI)

Valri Ary
11-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Last week I promised myself to not do what I'm comfy doing this weekend.....so here I am out on a limb with the bird lady. Tell her I'm sorry that it doesn't look much like her but the days of me doing 'people' are oh sooooooooooo long ago. The bird needs some help too but all in all I accomplished what I set out to do and that is 'step outta the comfort zone'

9"x11" sketch with an old office depot pencil on cheap acrylic paper (can you tell I didn't think it would work out??) I spent about 40 minutes on it.

Off to look at others and I'll post again later something that is within the comfort zone (flowers)

Valri

Even If It Rains
11-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Thats really quite an accurate portail. Everything is in proportion. Must of come easy to you.

Matt

khourianya
11-13-2004, 02:34 PM
This is really great! I love how you have given some dimension to her pullover! and the facial expression is perfect! great job!

ColorMyWorld
11-13-2004, 02:36 PM
For a qucik sketch outside your comfort zone, you captured the feel of the photo quite well!

HRH Goldie
11-13-2004, 03:11 PM
I wish I could sketch like this for a quickie! That face really does say it all. :clap:
You should go on and develop it as it would look great in colour.
Next time do it on something a bit better than the office scraps and have faith in your own ability. :wave:

Christine

Celia
11-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I think that this rendition is just precious.......... you did very well with the likeness, and you captured her delight at having this bird perched on her hand, eating a cracker....... she'll love it.........

celia

*Deirdre*
11-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Beautifully done...that smile says it all! :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
11-13-2004, 04:35 PM
It is a very charming piece. Well Done! :clap:

lorna12
11-13-2004, 05:22 PM
You should step outside of the box more often if this is a sample of what you can do....this is really good! I think you caught her very well, especially her expression! Yuppers...always use good paper cause you never know when a masterpiece might happen! LOL

Good job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CAULFIELD
11-13-2004, 06:06 PM
:clap: I agree with the others - such a great job on the expression and I can definately see the likeness!

Nicole :)

zyffyr
11-13-2004, 06:41 PM
LOL! :D Don't you just hate it when something turns out good, on a piece of crumby paper?!? :rolleyes: I have a couple old ones where the type can be seen through the drawing, as I did it on the back of a letter. :clap: :clap: :clap: I think you did a super job. :wave:

Deano
11-13-2004, 07:31 PM
Very nice job on a difficult subject. You make it look easy. That smile is a real winner! The bird is perfect...a very heppy picture!
Best wishes, Deano

Chiers
11-13-2004, 07:51 PM
I think this is terrific Valri. I wouldn't never guess you weren't completely comfortable with drawing people! :clap: :clap:

mbeckett
11-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Looks like a very accurate sketch. I don't think you too far from your comfort zone, Valri!

Valri Ary
11-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, I should have spent more time on the birdlady (on GOOD paper!) and less time on this poor begonia. I didn't think I was done at 2 hours but looking back on it I over-killed with the ink. I think that me and ink need a break from each other......YUP!

Oh well, I've certainly enjoyed all the other paintings. And thanks so much to all of you who have encouraged me to take another look at sketching 'people (and birds?)'

Valri :wave:

stonewhiteclown
11-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I just love your begonia Valri! :clap: The ink really enhanced the painting! And I think you did great job with bird lady too!

JamieWG
11-13-2004, 09:30 PM
Good for you for pushing yourself to leave your comfort zone. In spite of your discomfort, I think you did very well with the drawing. The ink version of the begonia is super!

Jamie

theIsland
11-13-2004, 09:36 PM
I think you caught Bird Lady's gesture very well. The begonia is wonderful! There's not too much ink for my tastes, but I love lines. They really define those delicate petals. It reminds me of a poster of an Asian print I once had.

Noma

cmwynn
11-13-2004, 10:24 PM
No neeed to apolagize in any way for that sketch. Charming and so well done. I prefer a little less ink, but it does give an oriental look to the flower painting.

Goobiemom
11-14-2004, 04:32 AM
YOU'VE DONE A TERRIFIC JOB ON BOTH! I especially love the begonia...the outlining really brought life into it! :D
Judy

VeldaJ
11-14-2004, 06:19 AM
Can't for the life of me think why you say you weren't in your comfort zone with the first portrait, Valri. You did a superb job. The detail is lovely and her expression simply perfect.

I also like your handling of the begonia. Both versions appeal to me. I don't know that I would say it's actually better with or without the ink....just different.

eagle owl
11-14-2004, 01:28 PM
You've really caught the character in this, Valri. You're obviously better than you thought :wink2:

Regards

Carol

Celia
11-14-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm so glad that you did the begonia........ I love the petal details...... and I like both versions......... they look like finished pieces, to me......... I'm kind of partial to the un-inked version, however......... terrific painting......

celia

dabblerdot
11-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Hey Valri, now aren't you kicking your bum just a little bit that you didn't have more faith in your innate abilities, and use better paper ???????? :evil: :D
Someone around here once said "Paint like a millionaire" and I understand now exactly what that means ! Like the others have said, you never know when a "keeper" will pop up !
I really like the down-home pure feeling of joy that the bird lady drawing portrays ! You've captured her great pleasure perfectly ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The begonias are lovely- I prefer the inked one myself- which one is the more accurate colour, or are they two different paintings :confused: ????
And congrats for getting out of your comfort zone- looks to me like a place you could be very happy to explore further, judging by the success you've got here ! :wave:

stevenbg
11-14-2004, 08:06 PM
I like the flower with the ink.
It really makes it "pop".

ams
11-14-2004, 08:18 PM
I love the bird lady. I like sketches that give just enough...they only suggest what is there without putting everything in.

I like the uninked version of the begonia the best. I feel it captures the delicacy of the flower.

Anne

silgurt
11-14-2004, 09:46 PM
The proportions are very nice and I too am drawn to the smile. Also, the level of detail in the background is just right.

Reese