PDA

View Full Version : Hot Party

don lee
11-13-2004, 12:03 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-12-2004/50588_Hot_Party_Ticket.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Hot Party
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Other
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 7X8
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Pen and wash, imported into Photoshop for labeling and minor touch up.

I tried my hand at political cartooning years ago, but grew rather depressed with it.

Still am, but the situation is far too serious to remain silent about it. Whatever your politics (and it really does not matter to me), we must all remember who pays the tab for any decision we as Americans either actively participate in, or passively agree to.

My son Bryan got off a year's active duty with the US Army Reserve not long ago, and now he is in line for another round of it. No matter if you have a family member involved--or perhaps a friend or acquaintance--in the strictest definition of reality, we all do. This cartoon is only superficially political at the heart of it. It merely speaks of the eternal burden carried by a chosen few, and we must never forget that whatever one's political affiliation, or lack thereof, we owe all of the support we can possibly render to these fine young people.

By the way, all the ex-grunts will know what the crescent on the boxes the troop is throwing down from the vehicle represent; field rations.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Have a good evening.

Tamana
11-13-2004, 12:09 PM
I think it's excellently executed. Somtimes simple is the most profound. Had a father and grandfather etc.etc. who served and have a son that's ripe at the age of 22 for draft...know what it's ALL about.

Still sad though - no matter how truthful...

Gilberte
11-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Hard but ... the truth !
Having four sons I stiffened (right word ?) reading in the papers that at the time when THAT WAR started thousands of body-bags were shipped ... :confused:

don lee
11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
Hard but ... the truth !
Having four sons I stiffened (right word ?) reading in the papers that at the time when THAT WAR started thousands of body-bags were shipped ... :confused:

Gilberte,

It has always been so.

Not very well known is the fact that in all of the invasions, particularly amphibious assaults in WWII, in one or more of the supply ships accompanying the invasion force, tucked neatly away in their proper place were thousands upon thousands of wooden crosses and many Stars of David. The grim reality is that when this sort of thing starts, those troops look into each other's eyes with the absolute certainty that before too long, some of them will die in violence.

Gilberte
11-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Gilberte,

It has always been so.

Not very well known is the fact that in all of the invasions, particularly amphibious assaults in WWII, in one or more of the supply ships accompanying the invasion force, tucked neatly away in their proper place were thousands upon thousands of wooden crosses and many Stars of David. The grim reality is that when this sort of thing starts, those troops look into each other's eyes with the absolute certainty that before too long, some of them will die in violence.

Sadly enough this is true .........

don lee
11-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Sadly enough this is true .........

Gilberte,

It may interest you to know that my father (even though he didn't know it at the time, being rather busy with staying alive during the Battle of the Bulge), spent some time in your country. When we later went over the path his division had taken through Europe during those terrible months, he said "Why, I'm astonished (he actually used that word), I didn't know I was so well traveled!"

Perspective is everything, isn't it?

Don

Gilberte
11-15-2004, 03:25 AM
There's still a big tank along the road. The first American tank that entered Belgium .......