PDA

View Full Version : profile protraits?

degreene72
01-08-2001, 09:53 PM
what do you guys think of profile portraits? i did this because i loved the way this guys hair flowed and caught the light and also the drama of the contrast of the profile. i know some people say profiles look too flat...opinions?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/User/maninredberet.jpg

bruin70
01-09-2001, 07:00 PM
profiles are very flat. no way around it. so you have to accentuate what you're left with. i emphasize the eyes and ears, and use cheek blush to show off the form. what form you have to render are the eye as it turns to the nose and the cheek doing the same. de,,,i'm going to post a profile at my site soon. i will tell you when.....{M}

------------------
"it's alright to be judgmental,,,,,,,,if you have taste"...MILT

degreene72
01-09-2001, 07:06 PM
thanks.....holding my breath....turning blue...starzzzzzz......

Leslie M. Ficcaglia
01-09-2001, 08:18 PM
That's nice. I especially like the texture of the hat and hair. Portraits in profile can be very effective. The first one on my portrait site is still one of my favorites, and I have another on the same page that I think works. Sometimes it's a bit harder to knock people over with the likeness when you've pared down the raw material to that extent, but I've seen a lot of good profile portraits. And one, of a girl with a blue scarf around her neck, won prizes in the portrait category in both Am. Artist and The Artist's Mag. a year or so ago.

------------------
Leslie M. Ficcaglia
Minnamuska Creek Studio
Portrait Gallery at http://www.igc.org/mauriceriver/riverpeople.html

degreene72
01-09-2001, 10:53 PM
i liked that painting alot....at first i thought that i had seen it, but i was thinking of one by steven levin. the likeness is good here, but it really wasn't my focus. anyway, i thought i'd throw the subject out there.....

[This message has been edited by degreene72 (edited January 10, 2001).]

vonorloff
01-29-2001, 07:14 PM
Nice portrait ... in my experience, profiles can be very strong character studies, and they dont have to be flat. As a photographer, I see flatness in terms of light direction ... if the lighting is coming from the front, it will look flattish (is that a word?). Conversely, dramatic lighting coming in from the side and more to the rear of the subject will yield beautifully sculpted features on the face; very three dimensional and not 'flat' at all.

degreene72
01-30-2001, 04:09 PM
i never really thought about the flatness of a profile in this painting, since what made me choose this particular pose was the hair and i thought the angle would look dramatic with the beret. i reconsidered after milt's comment. i really liked the way this painting turned out, though. i hadn't looked at this particular photo in a while, and now i think i may try to get a better one and repost. the colors are really much better than they appear here.

diane

vonorloff
01-30-2001, 11:31 PM
Diane
I looked at your website and I must tell you that your portrait entitled In The Garden is just wonderful. I am new here, so maybe you have already shown this portrait and discussed it, but if not, can you please talk about it a little? Thank you.

degreene72
01-30-2001, 11:56 PM
who, me?? talk about art?? never!!!

i'll post a new thread,