PDA

View Full Version : ****Daily Wash Friday November 12****

mr sandbanx
11-12-2004, 12:37 AM
Hey Not so profound as Kat's start yesterday, but here it is anyway!!!!

Son's girlfriend broke her thumb at work.. so we had to go to hospital and see her. Sit in waiting room etc.... Jeepers its a thumb, she has an extra one??? Imagine what Brenda will be like when one of the kids has a baby!!!

So its swollen all up, huge, she hit it with a hammer... OUCH!!! But she is a sweety so I had to be sympathetic.

Hope everyone has a great day...
Chris

Christie
11-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Morning All!

Chris sorry to hear about your son's girlfriend's thumb. All I can say is ouch.... :( I am sure that she appreciated the attention and sympathy.

Doug and the kids went hiking today and were all starting to get tired about 6 pm. :D It's pretty strange for me to have more energy than they do at the end of the day!:D

I am off to bed now.

Take care.

Roun2it
11-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Morning each,

Oh I gotta say it, Chris what was a GIRL doing with a hammer anyway?(waiting for the wrath of Spritey!! Chief Commisioner of the PC Police)

Pat's superhero name link in yesterdays wash gave me a laugh this moring. Being as how Lulu is on Holiday I put her name in for her. She is the Misunderstood Executioner, well are'nt they all. As Daisy42 she is the Erratic Acrobat, wonder if shes been to the gym today?

Ah well that was fun, off to study some apples.

laudesan
11-12-2004, 02:19 AM
LOL Kev..;)

hmmmmm I am still floundering, had a look at this project ASIAN BRUSH ART (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=748) signed up, maybe this will get me motivated.

I am still sooooooooo tired.. :( Can't for te life of me work out why?? We have been home for nearly 2 weeks now..

later..

Yorky
11-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Morning all :wave:

The toxic sleepwalker here. Very apt - I got around 5 hours sleep again last night.

I was fitted with a digital hearing aid in my left ear around tea time, and now have no excuse for not hearing Ruth's orders ahem, I mean requests ;)

Then I accompanied Ted Walker to Blackburn to broadcast an interview on the late night show on Radio Lancashire with Carole Turner about his marine painting career. Much of the interview centred around being official artist for the Titanic Artifacts Exhibition and an impressive article in the November "Lancashire Life" magazine.. It all went very well, but I didn't get home until half past midnight.

Have to take Ruth to Wrightington orthopaedic hospital this morning to have her hands checked out. Her fingers are locking up again - she is finding it difficult to do fine sewing and beading at present.

Well, Ruth is up and about, so I'll go at get some breakfast now. BBL

Doug

laudesan
11-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Doug tell Ruth to take her Gelatine Morning and night like I do now.

Sounds like you had fun last night!! Is there an online link that we may hear the broadcast too???

stephie20
11-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Morning all.....

Chris.......what would we woman do if we couldn't fuss and worry :) ...........hope the thumb heals.......

Doug....I wish Ruth well, I know how much she loves her sewing, years ago I had trouble with my fingers and thumb on one hand locking up, it was caused by cake decorating, the pressure on the hand, I had to give it up in the end......I was given some exercises to do that helped, I also take cod liver oil every day, swear by it, I still occasionally do cakes, but at the time it was my living.....

Morning JJ.....you did a hell of a lot of travelling....I'm suprised you r still tired.........I got tired thinking about it........just relax....

morning Kev :wave:

Men turning up in a mo to fix drains at last.....hope they won't take too long, got a day off and need to do some holiday shopping

BBL

Yorky
11-12-2004, 04:05 AM
Morning Stephie :wave:

Hope you get your drains sorted today. People prefer not to think about their drains, and don't want manholes in their gardens, but they are vital and can lead to very unpleasant consequences when they don't work.

Hi JJ - it was Carole Turner (http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/radiolancashire/presenters/caroleturner.shtml) but I can't find a link to the broadcast, but you can listen live and to the news on that site.

Doug

painterbear
11-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Good Morning all,

Just a little before 5:30 a.m. here in Oakwood. Still quite dark outside, but no rain pit-patting on the roof so I guess we'll get more work done today. They have the front of the house left and the little turret top. So far we are very happy with our choice of color and style of shingles (which is good because it's too late to change our minds now. :wink2: ).

Doug, Glad you got your hearing helper. Do you like it, notice a big difference? My Mom got hard of hearing as she got older but stubbornly insisted she didn't need a hearing aid. Unfortunately, that meant she had the TV sound WAY up high and blaring out. It's a wonder her neighbors didn't come knocking on the door.

Hope Ruth gets some help with her hands. Her needlework is so important to her creative endeavors, it would be a shame if she had to give it up.

JJ, I think you are probably suffering post-trip doldrums. For the last year you were intensely immersed in first planning and making arrangements for the "Big Trip," then actually taking the journey and all the excitement that entailed. It is only natural that settling back into the routine of your everyday life probably seems like a let down. Relax, once the holidays are here with the excitement of preparing for them and the children's reactions, your zip and joie d'vivre will return. Thus spake Painterbear! :D LOL!

Chris, Hope your son's girlfriend's thumb is ok and she didn't break anything. Kev, we ladies can wield a mean hammer when we want to, and comments like yours make us want to more often than you can imagine. :evil: :rolleyes:

Christie, My DH and kids liked to hike a lot more than I did. I much preferred to sit and read a book.

Stephie, Your comment made me laugh. When I was a little girl heading off to school each day, my Mom would stand in the kitchen with a bottle of cod liver oil and a wedge of an orange. I got a teaspoon of the cod liver oil and the orange to suck on to erase the taste. (Nowadays it probably comes in an easy to swallow capsule.) Anyway, as awful tasting as it was, I never got sick, even when it was cold and rainy or snowy (I walked to school — 5 miles uphill both ways, if I remember correctly :angel:). No school bus or solicitous Mom with a second car—Ha!—to drive me. Thanks for the memory, as Bob Hope used to sing.

Our watercolor class yesterday was based on Jan Fabian Wallake's book, Watercolor: Pour It On! I think that is the same book Uschi was using as a reference for her pouring paintings. Anyway, I just watched the demo but didn't do a painting as I'm still working on one.

Off to check out the Gallery, then have to do more proofreading of the 5th grade Math book. I'm learning a lot about inscribing squares in circles and other exciting things like that.

SYL,

Sylvia

Flattwo
11-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Hello to All

Another stunning day here, though a bit windy.

There was a local soccer match here of Wenesday..Rangers v Celtic a lot of rivalry, anyway Rangers won 2-1 after the match some Celtic fans went on the rampage in our little town centre, smashing traffic lights, setting fire to rubbish bins, but worst of all they smashed the plate glass doors of our local Church...what a mess! I really feel sorry for the Minister and his helpers as they are tryng their best to intigrate into the the community. It really depresses me when I see things like this, is there hope for our teenagers (I'm assuming they were teenagers)

Henry

mchew
11-12-2004, 05:58 AM
Hi there,

It's been ages since I posted something on the wash or in WC! at all :(
Well, I'm typing this in an internet cafe opposite our hotel in Melbourne.
This is the 4th day of our honeymoon.

1st day was spent on travelling, 2nd day at Melbourne, 3rd day, we drove all the way from Melbourne to the Great Ocean Road, stayed a night at Appolo Bay, saw the magnificent 12 Apostles (sp?) and other rocks and limestones formation along the coast, and drove all the way back to Melbourne! Just wonderful! We truly enjoyed every minute of it!

I did took quite a lot of pics but they're all with film camera. Adeline accidentally dropped the digital camera and the lense is spoilt and jammed. I took it to a camera repair shop but the guy there said it's not worthwhile to fix it cos I'll be better off buying a new one! With our tight budget, I'll have to rely on my trusty Canon EOS 66 SLR which is quite a good camera for amateur photographer.

I'll show you guys after I get back to Singapore and need to develop them and scan them... ;)

We're going to Philip Island tomorrow to look at little penguins.

Then, to Tasmania on Sunday! WOOT!

I better sign off now... cheer!

DominicM
11-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Marvin - congrats but you should be spending tme with DW not here..

Henry, thats sick, I guess there was no cctv?

Doug {{ Hugs for Ruth}}

JJ, I hate to say it but it could be an age related thing, plus your body had to keep adjusting to timezones, my Dad is still messed up, and we've been back a fortnight now, - wishing your sleep gets back in sync soon...

Kev, I say give them all hammers - I hate DIY...

Hugs to anyone else who needs them..

Yorky
11-12-2004, 06:22 AM
I'm back! from the hospital!

Ruth has to have another hand operation, Sylvia - now we're waiting for the appointment.

Hi Marvin, Adeline :wave: Sounds like you're having a lovely time. Enjoy your trip to Tasmania.

Blame it on the drink, Henry, when we left Blackburn last night we were faced with teenage girls coming out of a pub by the cathedral vomitting over the pavement. :eek: I wish we could ban drinking for under 21's like they do in some countries.

Well, one week to go until we fly off to Detroit :clap:

Off to make a cuppa - BBL.

Doug

Europa
11-12-2004, 06:23 AM
MORNING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well have finally posted my painting for the Flippin Paint Challenge #3 - and put up the next photo ref - but shhhhhhh don't tell Judy but I have already done challenge #4.....lol.

It's a horrible day here - windy and raining - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts yesterday re my neice Moira's husband's young cousin being killed in a car crash.

Just heard on the news that that little baby has died whose mother went to the high court to stop the doctors from refusing resuscitation on him. For those not in the know here is a link to the report - so sad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4005839.stm

Chris - did they keep her in the hospital?? - am just wondering why you had to go if she only broke her thumb - wouldn't she only be there for a few hours - I didn't see anyone rushing to the hospital when I broke my ankle.....lol.

Christie - have a good sleep!

Kev - methinks with an attitude like that you would get on with my darling son - his favourite comment is 'Why do women wear makeup and perfume?' - Because they are ugly and they smell!!' Can only apologise for him girls - I blame my brothers - I keep trying to reassimilate his thinking...but smacks upside his head don't seem to be working...LOL.

JJ - maybe you need something to get the old blood rushing around the old system - should try what we were talking about the other night ....lol.... :evil: :p

Doug - so now you mean you will hear me when am whispering......lol. Hope everything goes ok with Ruth at the hospital - am still waiting to hear from then for when I go in (gulp!!)

Stephie - nice to see you here - now don't get me anything too expensive when you go Christmas shopping!! LOL :wink2:

Sylvia - oh gosh - you have just described my Mum - she will not admit she can't hear and her tele just blares out. Another thing - we used to get a dose of cod liver oil on a daily basis - ohhhhh yeuch - but like you it stood us in good stead - I have a strong constitution as they say - now I take cod liver oil capsules daily - much nicer than the old way......lol.

Henry - what an awful thing to do - I don't know what is happening with people today - especially when they have no respect for something like a church regardless of what religion it belongs to. Used to be a time a church was open all day but now they are all locked up - shame really.

Marvin - sounds like you are having a blast - poor Adeline dropping the camera - but at the end of the day its only a camera - worse things happen at sea as my old grandmother used to say. Hope your honeymoon continues to be wonderful and looking forward to seeing the photos.

Right am off for brekky

Love and hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!!

Pat xxx

Hi Dominic - we xposted :wave:

Flattwo
11-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Hello

Dominic...Yep..no CCTV :rolleyes:

Doug...Yes it is a disgrace, especially when its youing Women...not nice at all

Marvin...glad to hear you are having a great time, apart from the camera incident! My brother lives in Melbourne, next time you pass this building give him a wave :D he is on the 40th floor, they stick the Managers up there out of harms way :evil:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/3457-Kenny.jpg
Henry

laudesan
11-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Doug glad you have your hearing aid. Much better ... hey.. (((((Ruth)))))

Kids and drunkedness.. :mad: Shame it .......... is such a waste. I wish they knew how totally stupid they looked and how it belittles them.. :(

Dominic, I supect you are right.. age.. ;) Maybe I am still healing a little too..

WOOT MArvin so glad you popped in. Philip Island (http://www.penguins.org.au/index02.asp) what fun!!

The Great Ocean Road (http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/) sounds spectacular too. Marvin told me the water was Ult Blue and Pthalo Green. A most gorgeous Tourquoise!!!

Here is what I found on Apollo Bay.. (http://www.australianexplorer.com/apollo_bay.htm)

Marvins Honeymoon sounds just idylic.. :) Pity about the camera, guess we all have to wait a couple of weeks.. huh?? :D

Pat ROTFLMBO.. you would.. :D

JudyL
11-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Hi,
Decided I didn't like being The Silly Ardvark , so went with my wc name, so now I am The Ice ThunderFox! (or I could be the Ruby Toxicologist!)
JJ, when you think about all you went through before your trip, planning for the trip, all the time zones you went through, and tripping through the trip, I would be surprised if you weren't tired. It takes me weeks to get through my trips from California to the UK every year.
Henry, Thumbs are different, when I think about what it would take to break a thumb, ouch! I knew someone in interior design school, who had fallen and broken both her thumbs, and she never regained full function of either. I don't think she could continue with the classes, as she could not even use scissors!
Now, try to get through a day without using your thumbs!
BBL
JudyL
aka: JudyL is...
The Neato-Keen-Supercool Mastermind

droll13
11-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Morning all,

Finally got a good night's sleep (Sorry Doug - I must have stolen those extra hours from you).

I worked on my photo calendar yesterday and am satisifed with the look. Found a new place to have it bound. Most places charge $4 or $5 (US) for this, including about $1.50 for the 2 clear covers for the front & back. I found a local paper company and bought 100 of these clear plastic sheets for $13. So now I provide everything except the spiral binding, and a local independent printer/copy shop can bind it for around $1.25. Got my total costs down to under $7.50, and I hope to sell for $15.

But I'm now shopping for a better printer. My trusty old HP DeskJet 722C just isn't good enough for a sharp image. I'm trying to stay in the $200 to $500 price range. Leaning towards Epson because I've read that their inks tend to be more archival. Any advice or experiences you have with inkjet printers in this price range would be appreciated.

Today's to do list includes:

1) Updating my website to offer calendars for sale
2) Lunch with a good friend (got a BOGO - that's Buy One, Get One free - coupon.
3) Make the rounds of local businesses (gift shops, surf shops, restaurants - anything likely to have good tourist traffic) and try to get them to sell my calendars.

TTFN

CharM
11-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Good morning Washers!

It's -5, cloudy and the wind is coming directly out of the northeast in SW Ontario this morning... brrrr...

So... it took me just a little over 9 hours to get home from Chicago, yesterday... I HATE traffic... but I think I HATE construction even more...

And... of course, I have a bunch of assignments that must be submitted today, so it's going to be a busy day at work...

Kat... I read your opening Wash question... interesting... coming to WC each day is like having coffee with my friends... I enjoy reading about everyone's busy lives and happy events... I worry about their health concerns and life issues... Having been lucky enough to have met several of our WCer's, the feeling of friendly banter goes even deeper than just cyberfriendly typing.... When I paint, though... I lose track of time... I have even forgotten to eat my lunch (not that it would hurt me any)...

Chris... oooooooh... reading about the poor girl's broken thumb made me shudder... and, it's probably throbbing today... ooooh.... :(

Doug... good for you! One of my staff, many years ago, wore hearing aids as she was nearly deaf... She even had a special volume control installed on her phone... Whenever it got too noisy in the office, she turned off her aids... she always claimed that she got the most work done when she did that! :D

Sorry about Ruth's need for surgery on her hands... or maybe not... maybe this will really help... :( :)

Hi Christie and Kev!

Oh Pat... you've certainly had your share of it... ((()))

(((JJ)))

Stephie... I did cake decorating many years ago, too!!! In fact, my two older boys wouldn't thank you for a Birthday Cake... they got absolutely sick of the smell of baking cake and icing sugar... :D

Hi Marvin! sorry about your digi... isn't it the way with technology today??? It's cheaper to buy new than have something fixed... Sounds like you and Adeline are having a great time!

Syl... I hope they get the roof of yours finished up pretty soon... you won't have to worry about rain... it'll be snowing!!! I'm driving down on Monday... thinking we could probably do Tuesday (late afternoon and evening) if your schedule permits...

Henry... I agree... I'm not sure it's just teenagers that are to blame, though... It seems to be a whole social thing... lack of respect...

*weaving* to all I've missed... I'm so sorry, but I MUST get to work... Sending you positive vibes and good thoughts... Hopefully, I can get back a little later...

The Ghostly Phantom

Starsprite
11-12-2004, 08:05 AM
Chris, Hope your son's girlfriend's thumb is ok and she didn't break anything. Kev, we ladies can wield a mean hammer when we want to, and comments like yours make us want to more often than you can imagine. :evil: :rolleyes:

SYL,

Sylvia

Good morning everyone!
CRS has set in...and geeezz can you really expect me to remember everything that was said before, at 7:00 a.m. and before first cup of coffee???? :p

Sylvia....... LOL Your comments caught my eye. Chris said that his son's girlfriend broke her thumb. Sounds like you have come over to Our Side.... hitting Kev over the head with a hammer like that and all!! LOL come on over, we could use you on our team!! :angel: :evil:

That's horrible about the destruction after the soccer game Henry! I don't see how people can be so violent and destructive.

Gotta bit of a headache..think I will take something for it.....before I have to yell at the kid to get out of bed for school. Getting harder every day it seems.

Have a good one ya'll. :)

Johnnie
11-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Hi all

Dont know if its been mentioned or not..

Lets all say a little prayer for Arnold Lowrey who I believe went in today to have his heart surgery.

All the best to Arnold and family.

Johnnie

Little Old Lady
11-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Greeti gs :wave:
Sunny and cool here!
Doug hope things go well for Ruth.
Can never understand why people celebrate sports victories by damaging things. I am sure liquor plays a big part in it.
Working at the resale sho yesterday a gal in her 20's was wondering why the Post Office was close. When I said it was Veterans Day she said, "Veterans Day? I guess I mus be out off the loop". Maybe under a rock.
Glad to see Marvin having such a great honeymoon despite broken camera.
JJ hope you get elastic back!
Have a good one.
JoAnn

madmum
11-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi everyone,

I just need to cry on someone's shoulder :(

A tough time here, heard that a 16 year old boy, who lives a few doors away and went to the same school as my kids, a very talented basketball player and dancer, for some reason jumped/fell from the top of a multi-storey car park in town on Monday. He has severe head injuries, and numerous broken bones. If he wakes from the coma he will have terrible problems due to the brain damage, and probably will be in a wheelchair. So sad. :crying:

Then we got a phone call from school, Craig is misbehaving in lessons and teachers are worried about him. We need to have a meeting with his head of year to discuss what to do. I'm really upset, because he's a very bright kid and if he'd just work hard he'd get great results and could pick and choose what he does! :mad: :crying:

Some good news, Amy is home, safe, from her army work experience! She's extremely tired, but seems to have enjoyed it. Looks like she still plans to join the forces in a few years!

Thanks for listening

Ruth

jaytee
11-12-2004, 01:18 PM
(((hugs)))to Madmum ......not a nice day to be having.. thining of the poor lads family as well as yours.....

white light to Arnold and famly..........thanks Johnnie for letting us know...... I know he was hoping to be slotted into a cancelation . ......what a relief its so soon...........

while Im about it 11 extra hugs on top of MLs to everyone....... even if yo uthink you dont need them ........and especially if you do.........

Im beng a busy bee........ with work Im creating for myself :D :D

still the house and garden should benefit......... re-visitors will scarcely recognise it next year :D

Stephie... so glad you changed your tinyhead to that Kington Photo :D

glad to see Otters around and about on the boards :)

must get moving again ;)

Roun2it
11-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Arnold only went in for a check up this week. He has got his appointment for 4-6 weeks.

:music: Bang Bang (Mrs) Maxwells silver hammer came down upon my head :music:

Johnnie
11-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Arnold only went in for a check up this week. He has got his appointment for 4-6 weeks.

:music: Bang Bang (Mrs) Maxwells silver hammer came down upon my head :music:

lol Well there ya go eh !!!! I got it wrong again..
I was under the impression when I talked to him on the phone last week that he was going in on the 12 Nov.
My ears must be not very good

Johnnie

Europa
11-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhhhh it's back on!!! - phew was thinking I was going to have to go to bed without my last fix of the night.

CharM
11-12-2004, 07:11 PM
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Doin' the Wave!!!

My son wants the Internet, so I only have a few minutes... going to spend it wisely in the Gallery!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Friday...

Special hugs to Ruth... ((())) words are insufficient...

JoAnn... I think I would have needed to supress my urge to *slap*... grrrgh...

Sending positive vibes and good thoughts to all of you!

Europa
11-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Well nearly finished the double portrait - phew!! - talk about a challenge and a half....lol.

Finally got news from the hospital = I have to go in for a pre op meet on 8th December at 8.30 am !!!!! - do these people not realise I am not a morning person - anyway seems its to test me to see if i have something called MRSA (Methecillin Resistent Stapholococcus Aureus) - should be fun!!! :confused:

Seems healthy people can have it without knowing but it can work against some antibiotics and be detrimental to healing process after an operation - sooooooo seems I am definitely going in for an operation then - nice of them to let me know.....LOL.

Actually the sooner they get this sorted out the happier I will be - not sure if they are going to do a manipulation to reset the coccyx or take it out completely - am sure I will find out when I see them on the 8th. If they take it out I wonder if they will let me bring it home in a jar....LOL.

K talking of painful butts - mine is killing me so am going to take some time off this chair - catch you all later - love and hugs.

Pat xxx

Flattwo
11-12-2004, 07:35 PM
JudyL...I never mentioned thumbs :confused: maybe your getting mixed up with someone else?

Dave, put me down for one of your sunset calendar's please...what is the postage to the UK and do you use PayPal?

Henry

mr sandbanx
11-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Pat: Whenever we hear of someone with a nick or scrape its off to the hospital for us. Brenda has to be there taking care of people.

Julie works at GM, builds trucks... so she was doing some fine finishing work WITH A HAMMER!!! and struck her thumb. As Brian says, we have never seen a hammer at GM in all the years we have been doing consulting work there, so where did she get this??? I donno, maybe she carries it in her purse.

Kevin seems to me that you are walking a fine line with Spritey... the hammer, the stilts... man you are brave. Don't come looking for help in this quarter when she unleashes her wrath... you have brought this upon your self!

Lots to read, but have only just now got in here, and have tons to do... so I will say hi only, hope that the next wash is full of only good things...

Chris :wave: :wave:

laudesan
11-12-2004, 07:52 PM
((((((to everyone)))))

Glad we are back..

I am going to TRY and be constructive today..

later..

CharM
11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
(((Pat)))... didn't know (I definitely must get out of my cave more often) that you needed an op! :eek:

Magoo is making some surly growling noises at me... suspecting that I've been on the computer much longer than I intended...

Gnite and don't let the bed bugs bite...

laudesan
11-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Taken on the Jetty of Gails Lake. Gail does that lake freeze over in winter?????

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/22284-Alan_on_Gails_lake.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/22284-JJ_on_gails_lake.jpg

Couldn't get those pooches to face the camera.. Tooooooooooo much going, tooooooooo many new smells :D

Arnold Lowrey
11-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Hi all

Dont know if its been mentioned or not..

Lets all say a little prayer for Arnold Lowrey who I believe went in today to have his heart surgery.

All the best to Arnold and family.

Johnnie
Not quite there yet Johnnie
I saw the surgeon on Thursday and they plan the op in 4-6 weeks time unless there is a cancellation
I really do appreciate you kind thoughts towards me
Take care yorself
Arnold