PDA

View Full Version : Daily Wash Thursday November 11. 2004

KathyJB
11-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello washies

I had a question to ask you all while you gert ready for bed, get ready for breakfast. or get your lunch, or dinner...

Do you see the forum as a way to forget yourself?
when your here do you feel its a moment out of time where you look at life differently and with new eyes.

I sure do and I was just wondering how all this affects your lives.
I see the world differently by the morning photo's of Dave posts and the morning weather reports from round the world, and the places you have all been. Both in traves and in your paintings.

I also love seeing where you all are on your artistic journey.

And lastly but sometimes with wonderful hindsight I love seeing where I am going with my work through the eyes of those who view what i have done on a daily basis. My good bad and in betweens are all represented here when i post my stuff and I thank all of you for being apart of what I see in the world and in myself AND in you!!!

Katinthinkingcaphat

laudesan
11-11-2004, 03:08 AM
HUH???????????

Where is Chris???

Nothing exciting happened here today. Looked at photo CD's, rested.. :wink2:

Ooooops.. :o didn't see Kath's wash.. :o

Roun2it
11-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Morning each,

Katinthinkinghat, that is heavy thinking over a bowl of cornflakes. Will have to give it some thought. I do think the written word is very strong, and being part of this site does make me think and respond differently to the way I would normally react.

Whoops just dribbled the milk. It's a man thing, can't do 2 things at once!!

BBL :wave:

laudesan
11-11-2004, 03:20 AM
Nothing exciting happened here today.

Looked at photo CD's, rested..

Started another wash...

:wave: 'Morning all.

Kath too deep for me right now.

Gotta get dinner on..;)

Roun2it
11-11-2004, 03:23 AM
Whats up..............all those stickies getting in the way? :p :evil:

Just scroll up!! :p :D

laudesan
11-11-2004, 03:26 AM

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

DominicM
11-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Edit Oops - Morning All...

Sadly no, I dont, I find that I only "forget myself" when I have a creative moment and paint/sing/write verse...

However that said the anonimity of this forum/site is great if you want to share something, like in the chat forum last night one of the major converstion topics was depression, I doubt that would get into a thread as publically as it was discussed last night, did it aire in the chat room...

Just also wanted to say thanks for all who commented on my post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2898685) yesterday, and if you can spare 2 minutes at 11am (your time) please look at my post.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} and prayers for those in need.

May you day be creative...

Roun2it
11-11-2004, 03:29 AM
Nice to see you made it JJ............

Sorry just couldn't resist :evil: :evil:

(You gotta admit they are a little confusing.)

Yorky
11-11-2004, 03:30 AM
JJ - I see Kathy has already started a Daily Wash thread - I have asked for them to be combined.

Doug

laudesan
11-11-2004, 03:33 AM
Nice to see you made it JJ............

Sorry just couldn't resist :evil: :evil:

(You gotta admit they are a little confusing.)

**sigh** :p whinger..:p

laudesan
11-11-2004, 03:34 AM
JJ - I see Kathy has already started a Daily Wash thread - I have asked for them to be combined.

Doug

I beat you to it..;)

Lulu
11-11-2004, 04:41 AM
Whoops just dribbled the milk. It's a man thing, can't do 2 things at once!!

hahahahahahahah you are sooooooooooooooooo right!!!!! :clap: :p :evil: :D

Been to the gym today Kev?? I have:p

Evening all.
Off to the beach tomorrow, but had to say to KatinthethinkingCapHat - I actually had a very good reply all typed out a few hours ago, and lost it!
Now I can't think 'cos I'm off to bed and my mind's gone blank:D
Good questions you pose though. Makes me think how small the world is - I think of you all a lot off-line - even Kev :evil: lol

Nitey nite. Catch you when we get back again after the weekend. Got to get another fix of sand and sea:) :wave:
psssssssssssst Kev - don't get stuck on the stickies now! :wink2:

laudesan
11-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Hello washies

I had a question to ask you all while you gert ready for bed, get ready for breakfast. or get your lunch, or dinner...

when your here do you feel its a moment out of time where you look at life differently and with new eyes.

I see the world differently by the morning photo's of Dave posts and the morning weather reports from round the world, and the places you have all been. Both in traves and in your paintings.

And lastly but sometimes with wonderful hindsight I love seeing where I am going with my work through the eyes of those who view what i have done on a daily basis. My good bad and in betweens are all represented here when i post my stuff and I thank all of you for being apart of what I see in the world and in myself AND in you!!!

Katinthinkingcaphat

1. NO . I am here for my ART.. Talking to and enjoying like minded folks!!

2. In this thread I do look at things differently, I realise folks have the same worries as me, fears, joys and daily life grind. I am not alone in the world at all..

I am forever greatful I found this site, and even more greatful for Scott for starting it.

I have made SO MANY new friends, enjoyed their company in person, I have experiences AND memories that I shall cherish until the day I die, and they wouldn't have happened but for Wet Canvas!!!

You guys are the best, in your friendship, your critiques too, making us all into better artists!!

Thank you All!!

I love youse..

Huggles..

Europa
11-11-2004, 05:28 AM
MORNING WASHGANGEROOS!!

Just got up - dashing out the door - got a meeting then dentist this afternoon for a filling - Ouch!!! - will contemplate the questions and answer later - gotta go - love and hugs all around

LEAD ON MACDUFF!!!

Pat xxx

painterbear
11-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Good Morning all,

It is just past 6:30 a.m. here in Oakwood and day is just breaking as the sky begins to lighten. The trees outside my window are still black silhouettes against the deep gray-blue sky.

Kat in the thinking cap: Very philosophical thoughts this early in the morning, but will try to share my responses. "Do you see the forum as a way to forget yourself? When you're here, do you feel its a moment out of time where you look at life differently and with new eyes?"
I don't think of it as a way to forget myself, but rather as a way to expand myself both artistically and personally. Reading about my cyber-friends lives and happenings here in the Daily Wash and the General Forum has certainly broadened my world-view on a daily basis and brought it into a more personal level rather than merely an intellectual one.

On an artistic level, I am amazed at how much inspiration, motivation, and aid seeing the artists here has been. People are so willing to share their own journeys as they explore this wonderful medium, as well as helping others who ask for assistance.

I would definitely feel my world has grown smaller and a lot dimmer if Wet Canvas and all I meet here on a daily basis were to go away. Whew, not used to thinking so much this early in the day. :cool:

No roofers pounding overhead today. They are going to finish up another job they are working on (that's OK because the forecast is for rain anyway). :evil:

I have a watercolor class again this morning. We will be either learning about painting buildings or flowers with a poured background (are you listening Uschi???? :cat: ). The instructor wasn't too clear about the topic last week.

I'm still working on a painting from an IL reference photo taken in Isreal. It has warm, rich colors and deep, dark shadows. I'm trying to paint much more directly than I usually do so I can finish in one or two washes instead of 10 or 12! Madmum's Backlit Flower painting is an inspiration for me to keep trying.

Wipe your chin off, Kev, it's dripping milk. ;)

Will check out your painting next, Dominic.

Lulu, Have a nice little vacation and enjoy the sand and the sea.

JJ, Hope you finished your wash wash and are all relaxed and ready to paint or finish sorting through your photos from the trip.

Hi Pat, hope your trip to the dentist was relatively painless.

Weaving to all I missed, and those who are yet to come.

SYL,

Sylvia

laudesan
11-11-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi Sylvia, I am glad you have a reprieve fronm the roofers, I can still remember mine. What a racket they made..

Pat, dentist.. That reminds me I have to ring and makes appointments for Alan and I too before the end of the month. If I don't I shall be put on the waiting list again.. :( Just written myself a note!!

I am now off to bed.. It is nearly 11.00pm and I am tired..

Tomorrow!! I will get my brushes wet tomorrow!! I will!!!

I am definitely not waiting for visitors who never arrive..;)

nite-nite and huggles..

ScarletLake
11-11-2004, 08:09 AM
HI everyone

Sylvia - Was wondering earlier in the week if you were having the roofers come. Yeah supposed to get rain today. Will match my mood.

Ok guys time for me to just let it all out. This job is not working. I went into it so excited & optomistic. What the problem has been is that they really were not ready to bring us nurses on & they have no organization or training planned. I've been there 3 weeks & honest to God have not had a single hour of training for what my duties are. Off work today because of Vetrans Day.

We've lost 2 of our 3 admin people. One of them I have been sitting with all this week. Both of them are going back to departments they left. My girl Rebecca is leaving because she also thought that she would learn something new, new job skill etc. She's been there 4 weeks & all she has done is become a filing clerk. She has been taught nothing. Now this week I was told that I will be doing her job come Monday.

The other LPN in our group is very disheartened also. We literally have not be shown what our jobs are to be. Now they are using us to fill in for the admin people who have jumped ship.

Also one day last week my husband went out of state on business. I let them know that I had to take my son to school & that I couldn't be there at 7:30am but would be there by 8am. I was told in the interview that they were flexable with start times of 7:30 or 8:00. Yesterday I get called into an office & told that I seem to have the wrong impression & that I am to be at my desk at 7:30am. I explained that I won't always be able to do that, that during my interview I was told that start time of 7:30am to 8:00 am. I already leave the house 45 minutes ahead of my work time to get into the building on time. MY immediate supervisor is just awful. Her supervisor interviewed me along with her in the room.

My immediate supervisor is showing no leadership or giving directions at all.
We're just being strung along day by day. I have decided to look for another job. I will be talking to THE BIG BOSS on Monday morning. I really respect her & she needs to know what is really going on & why people are leaving. So today I start my new job search.

Sorry but I've just been absolutely sick to my stomach over this.
Thank you all for wishing me well.

Anita

billythekid
11-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Hello from Frankfurt,

on Kathy's questions I think that I have affinity with Sylvia's thought.
Actually on top of it, it has some interesting aspects in my day to day life:
1. I can easliy have a virtual break from my business work. This is not the same as you have a coffee break with your colleagues as usually the talks there still are mostly work related. So this is a complete change here.
2. I am practising my language skills in the most easiest manner AND it's fun.

You might have realized that I am not too much talking about my private life other than about art. This is mainly because this is an open forum for everybody with internet access. I have realized for example that by putting the link of my homepage in the signature block Google search now shows Wetcanvas threads on which I posted while searching my name. So I am a little cautious here as I believe you could to some extent be able to track a profile . This may sound a little anxious but I have preferred it to be that way.

Ellen in Ont
11-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Good morning everyone, :wave:
Katinthinkingcaphat - whew - working my brain early in the morning, but no, I don't forget myself here. I enjoy reading about other peoples lives and realizing that despite differences in location, language, customs, religion, politics etc, we are all basically the same. We have the same basic problems with life, relationships, health, work and family. We also have the same enjoyment of beauty, friends, family, nature, etc (too many to name) as well as a shared pleasure in expressing what we see and feel in our art. I enjoy learning about our similarities and our differences. No where else could we share our excitement of painting a perfect (or not so perfect) leaf, shadow, grape, face etc and have it understood, encouraged, and gently critiqued so we can grow as an artist. No where else in my short painting career have I found that fountain of knowledge about every aspect of art, with people so willing to share their knowledge (and at all times of the day or night). I am greatfull every day to modern technology which allows this sharing. Without it my life would be much more isolated and my growth as an artist would be at a snails pace. OK. I'm off my soapbox.
I think all that heavy thinking has used up the last of my blood sugar. CRS has set in. Off to have a quick breakfast before another day of baking.
:wave: to everyone :wave:

Uschi
11-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!!! Dull and cold wind!

Didn't clean my garage yeterday. JJ and I must have been on the same wavelength because I too sorted out all my photos (mostly flowers LOl) and backed up everything on my computer.
Flo called at 7:00 a.m. wanting to come over, so it will be a day of chatting, painting and scrabble.

Kathy - not awake enough for philosophical thinking but even without thinking I know that every morning I get together with my friends for morning coffee, wonder if some who have not yet posted are O.K., know where to go if I have a question or need comfort, really enjoy each person's personality. Just how friendly we get here is proven when we meet in person and seem like old friends. From an art perspective - I get motivated into trying different things thanks to others' postings in the gallery.

Sylvia - I am the opposite, my "being" wants to load a brush and paint with one coat, but subjects like an iris really need delicate glazing (well, the way I want it to look, anyway). Have lots of fun with the pouring, especially when you do all the masking :evil: :D

Anita, lots of hugs for you!!!! I am soo sorry about how this new job is working out. I really do feel for you. Years ago I had an experience that left me feeling just like that. I was working at Volkswagen head office, worked as secretary to the national sales manager and absolutely loved it - so much action with the sales force and dealerships; was asked to work for vice president, a promotion!, and I allowed the ego to get the better of me and accepted. All I did was looking elegant in my own office and write out christmas cards for the boss. I have never been so bored in my life, forced myself to stay for 6 weeks then left. It was awful!!!!

Well, I better get moving, Flo might be here before I got dressed and WC may shut down before I press the "post" button.

Sending good thoughts to one and all and :wave: greetings!!!
Uschi

Little Old Lady
11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Greetings :wave:
In answer to kats question "What Sylvia said!"
Running late thios morning. Board meeting this morn and resale shop this aft so won't miss WC if it is down.
JoAnn

KathyJB
11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Wow what wonderful responses washies...I know it was so heavy thinking I wes asking from you all but its good for the soul honest!
I have begun to journal again... while my watercolor journal abounds with thumbnails and experimental things my writing has almose ceased. That is to say my hand written refective writing. I have replaced it with online discussions and chatting but there is a place for reflction and I delved back into my journals this week. One is a jurnal of what i am currently working on the other is one abour where I am in my emotional life. I tend to write there when I am troubled but I want to write on purpose when i am joyous or sad.

All this to say I am painting a new experiment using metalic pigment and acohal...sizing my india paper in a new WC journal (small for to carry about)
with knox gel again
Great results... i will post after work just keep in mind its an experiment as usual LOL
thanks again for the response to the questionx...WC has greatly changed and enhanced my life,

Katincreative yetcontemplativehat

Cathie Jones
11-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Good morning peeps! Funny to look around and see everyone wearing thinking caps!

Kat, I forget myself only when I'm painting or drawing (which isn't enough these days!). Evidently my right brain is hyperactive and won't shut down for a forum chat. However, like you my views of myself and the world do tend to change with things that are shown (photos/paintings) and discussed here.

Anita, I'm so sorry about your new job experience. We spend such a large part of our day at work. Hope you find something better soon!

:wave: Weaving to my friends, old and new, and running over to the drawing/sketching forum to learn more from them . . . :wave:

XOXOXOXO

pampe
11-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Happy Thursday

Off this morning to Spokane and then Chicago

KAT...I am between sylvia and cathie. I come to WC for the art.....community is second ...I lose myself when doing anything creative, painting, quilting, knitting. I journaled for years and always had my clients journal, it is a wonderful way to gain insights. Also, if you journal and keep track of what is going on in the world and your life....you can see how it all goes together in the future years when you look back. Keep experimenting...the metallics are FUN!!!

(((Anita)))...healthcare work is never healthy...unfortunately

Off to take lil fooks to her sleep over and Abbey to the doghotel

See you Monday

Pam

Ottersong
11-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Morning washeroos. Hmmmmmm putting on the thinking hat so soon after arising is difficult. Yes, the wash helps to take me away from my own concerns and helps me to see that others around the world have concerns much the same as my own whether they be about art or family. As a semi shut in I love WC for all of the fellowship as well as for all of the information and encouragement for art. It is frequently like being able to attend a workshop which I am unable to do anymore. I love wet canvass!!!!!!!!!!

Love to all, Otter

artmom
11-11-2004, 12:28 PM
:wave: everyone!

A big "Thank You" to all the veterans in all the countries that celebrate Remembrance Day, Veteran's Day, Armistice Day, etc. As the wife of one, the mother of two, and MIL to two more, I could not let this day pass.

Otter said exactly how I feel about WC! and this forum in particular. I am also a semi-shut in! I loooooove this place!

Lyn

JudyL
11-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I love the forum for the community, I don't get to see or talk to a lot of people here, and I really enjoy communicating with people from all over the world. All in different time zones and weather types. Yet, we all have one thing in common. Very Cool!
Anita, do not hesitate, you have been there long enough to know something is not right. Talk to the big boss, and turn in your notice at the same time. I had a job once, that went sour. I had been working there for almost three years, but we got a new manager, who changed the whole feeling of the place. I tried to wait it out and it almost finished me. Your skills are too valuable to be wasted there. Believe me, when you are gone, it will be like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. Leave as soon as possible, you can look for a new job full time.
Gotta Go
JudyL

Europa
11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
AFTERNOON WASHGANGEROOS!!

Well methinks CRS has definitely set in - seems my dental appointment is actually next Tuesday not today - but in my own defence looking at the appt card it could be misconstrued as Thur and not Tue - hmmmmmmm methinks maybe an eye check up is needed....lol.

As for the questions posed earlier - I like to come here to get help with my art and of course to get comments on it :D as well as looking at the wonderful work that is shown on here.

I have also made some great friendships and love to share the news that people have - good or bad - it makes me realise that no matter how much I may moan about my life - there is always someone going through a tougher time and it can be very humbling experience.

Again am going to take this opportunity to thank each and everyone of you for your humour - your sensitivity - your shoulders to cry on - your wonderful talents but most of all your friendships.

(K am going to go now before I get all maudling and start sniffling......LOL)

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Pat xxx

Europa
11-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Just received an email from my niece Moira in Utah -

18-year old Lindon man dies in rollover on I-15

Justin Hill DAILY HERALD

An 18-year-old man was killed Monday afternoon after
his car went off Interstate 15 near the Benjamin exit
and rolled several times.

Seth R. McEwan of Lindon was taken to Mountain View
Hospital in critical condition. He died at the
hospital about an hour after the crash.

McEwan was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected as
the car rolled, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.

A Utah County Sheriff's deputy was turning through the
median around 3 p.m. with his emergency lights
flashing. That slowed down the highway traffic.

McEwan's car was traveling south on I-15 at an
estimated speed of 85 mph. The vehicle went off the
road to the right and rolled several times.

It appears McEwan didn't see that traffic was slowing
until it was too late and he swerved off the road,
according to UHP. Troopers do not suspect drugs or
alcohol contributed to the accident.

This is her husbands cousin - would ask that you keep him in your prayers - thank you.

Pat

hopefulbucky
11-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Aw Pat ((((((((hugs))))))) so sorry, an 18 year old is not a man still a boy

ScarletLake
11-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Pat

So sorry to hear of your relative's son. The family is in my prayers.

Anita

DominicM
11-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Pat will pray for family tonight.

Sorry to those those I offended by my post earlier in the day, and the shameless push of my post - but a big thank you to all of you who were able to spend a few moments remembering our fallen dead this morning.

{{{{{Hugs to those in Need}}}}}

mr sandbanx
11-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Hello washies

Katinthinkingcaphat

Pat: sorry to hear this... sad.

Kat in Hat I wake up to see you messing around in the wash and it makes my brain twist into a knot. I often wonder what you will do next, and the fact that you always surprise me, does not surprise me.

To forget myself... no. If I wanted that I would go away where I am not reminded of myself too much. To forget other things... no again. I really am here to learn to paint and I have found that I can learn by watching the threads, a lot more than by reading books. It is interesting to see a commonality, and perhaps a personality,in the types of comments people make. I have a feeling that here are a few people here, who I can guess what they would say about a painting, before I even read what they have said.

I think that when we see Daves photos and hear of the weather in other areas, we are aware that there is lots going on beyond our own horizons. But I don't see this as a form of escapism. I like to see whats out there, and this is a great way to learn. WC is rather like a club to a certain extent where I can hang out with people of similar interests.

On my artistic journey: Heck I am off the road and barrelling through the trees it seems. It is a rocky road sometimes but I am convinced I have become a much better painter in the time I have spent here, and bear no allusions that I am better simpy because of my own efforts. Quiete honestly the people at WC have made me better.

This is a great place to come and learn how to paint. The site offers all sorts of things to all types of people and it is great in that regard. Meeting people, making friends and reading about some of the highs and lows in their lives is a bonus.

Question for you: Considering how long you have been here, how many times have you started the Wash... I would guess maybe 100? (I think I know the real answer, but it seems to me that confidence as a painter (or whatever) spreads over to confidence in other areas as well.

Chris

laudesan
11-11-2004, 07:50 PM
((((((((((Pats Cousin))))))))

Dreadful thing to happen. SO young.. Why do these kids NOT wear their seatbelts.. :crying: