PDA

View Full Version : digital as part of the painting process

themanda
11-10-2004, 05:24 PM
i've found myself using digital now as a first step toward completing a painting. it's not that i feel digital is any less valid or real as traditional, of course. i was telling a friend of mine the other day that traditional painting, for me, was sort of an extreme sport. :D by trade, i'm a graphic artist, so i live and breathe in terms of undo and layers. but when i'm painting, i can't undo, and i can't change the stacking order, and i can't use hue adjust if something isn't quite working.

but, i've found that A) i still do miss and enjoy working digitally and B) it helps me tremendously to 'sketch' a painting in photoshop before i actually commit it to canvas. it gives me the freedom to undo and adjust the hue/sat if i need to without wasting the time and the money on the canvas until i'm happy with it.

here's a recent one i did in photoshop before i moved it to canvas. the finished product is acrylic on canvas, 24x48. (i love painting big!)

first is the photoshop version, second is the painting.

Yako
11-10-2004, 05:32 PM
I love orange cats, i like this painting! :cat: :cat: Looks like he's having a great time relaxing on the sofa.... :clap: :)

I agree with you it's a good method to try sketching an initial work digitally and then transfer it to a traditional medium. One can make a loooot of changes....do and re-do without wasting materials :) :) :) (which are not usually cheap :( )

Elvira
11-10-2004, 06:09 PM
It is hard to decide which I perfere they are both very good. I love the cat it is so very catty. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Edie

Elainepsq
11-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Very nice Elvira :clap: I too, am a graphic artist and agree that having undos are great, you are more likely to take risks knowing you have the undos, and knowing that if it is not successful, you don't have to waste the canvas and paint. They do get spendy! Many times when we have a pretty good piece, we are afraid to risk it all by taking it to another level.
I've been going the other way around. I start to paint, I still enjoy the process of traditional media, but when I can't take the piece where my mind knows it would like to take it, (mostly from being out of practice these days) I know I have a better chance of getting there digitally, so I will scan it and take it to photoshop. I used to feel guilty that I was taking the easy way out :confused: But Art for Art's sake, as long as I end up with something that people will enjoy seeing, and I have enjoyed creating, I consider it just mixing media.
My question, do you ever print, mat and frame the digital as a finished piece in and of themselves????

Chiers
11-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Amanda I like this a lot! Very cool idea the way you have draped the kitty. One thing I would suggest is a shadow under the sofa in the acrylic version. It is floating now.

I love to paint big too but try to restraint myself since I don't have a market for them. As it is I will soon have to move out to give my paintings the room... :D

Elvira
11-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Very nice Elvira :clap: I too, am a graphic artist and agree that having undos are great, you are more likely
Elaine I think you mean Amanda here, this is her image.
Elvira

themanda
11-11-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks everyone, for your kind responses.

sherry, it's mostly just a really crappy picutre. :D in real life, it doesn't appear to float. odd that it does so much here, though. oh well!

elaine, i never found enough motivation to actually print any of my digital stuff out. that's mostly what propelled me to pick up a brush in the first place. i'm basically just too lazy to go through all the steps to get something printed out. i'm big on instant gratification, though, which is what painting on canvas does for me. :D