PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Night ..... Working on Changes...

debimari
11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Okay... (Kathy,Dave ... and all... :o) !

Here are the changes so far...

I like the idea of no sand.
I am having trouble with the waves...They are not behaving.. ( or are they) Is the rhythm of the waves off? .. I can't tell... !.. ( of course if I am questioning it, obviously something is not going on that should ...hmmmmm.... ?

The background needs something, it seems to be lost.. any suggestions for bringing it out without overdoing?

Hope it is okay to keep returning with questions.. ? ... ... anytime I begin to be a pain... let me know (!)Really!... :o)
Thanks !.. debi

joa
11-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Wow, Debi, that looks good! :clap: I'm no expert on water, so I can't help you there. As to the background--what time of the night is it? Just after sundown, just before dawn, is the moon up there? Just wondering if you might want to put some light of some sort in the sky...

Jo

debimari
11-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Sunset... was my original idea... and I was going to put highlights behind the background "hill area... " ... but then when I took out the sand... the water got too light for night.. I am a bit confused... can you tell ?... I will have to decide on the time of night... and "repicture" my head !.. LOl!...

mrsarthritis
11-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Call me dramatic, but when I look at that painting I can almost hear the waves!!
Liz :clap:

TxAggieDarlin
11-10-2004, 03:30 PM
The waves come in at different speeds. It depends on the weather..if windy and or stormy they can come in pretty darn fast behind each other ....I think this is looking great...

debimari
11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Liz, ... Thanks !. Man ...your computer must be great... adding sound affects!(effects?) .. hmmmm ...! You make me smile!... :o)

TxAggie... I think I have a better handle on it... after another 45 minutes of painting... I will be posting it soon.. Thanks for the positive!... ( this is fun and nerve wracking at the same time... !.. ( but a good nerve wracking!...) ...

Assume you are near the ocean? ....(and I am not...) would love to have you pop in later and see the progress... and give me help on the look... ( if it is there.... or if it is not ... either way .. let me know !.. ( if you don't mind? ... !.. :o) Thanks!...

texasboy
11-10-2004, 06:11 PM
If I might make a small suggestion with your painting that myself and a number of other acrylic painters struggle with: the intensity of your colors. Being an ocean scene with a lot of moisture/atmosphere/spray/haze: wouldn't it help a little to paint your ocean in layers like if you were painting mountains. You know how you add some blue or purple and white for distant mountains, then less blue and white as the mountains get closer and closer.
Similarly with distant water particularly with breaking waves when you are looking over multiple breaking waves with their mist and all of that good stuff that is such a challenge for acrylic painters but with oils blends are so easy because oils are so wet and sloppy which is great for blends.
Values, I think, is the term that I'm searching for.
I like your start. It's the values that trouble me a little.
Good luck and continue the quest. It's the struggle that's fun, not the finished product.