PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need a Spellchecker?

jaytee
11-09-2004, 07:36 AM
I am speaking as someone who once sent out 8000 leaflets from the BBC headed

The Aquisition of Literacy Skills !!!!

but my problem here is not justmy spelling but my tyoiing. like that for instance....... my keyboard is too fast and my fingers too fat........ though I dont actually tyoe in gardening gloves as some folk think :D

Doug thinks I should install a spellchecker....... he finds my posts hard to read sometimes. and also raises a legitimate point about folk like jana understandng them.

i counter with the fact that

1- there is proof ( aired here often) that as long as the first and last letters are Ok we can read with comparative ease

2- typos have given us some of our nicest WC words. firdies, higs, weaving etc.....

3 - I wouod probably forget to use it

4- I owuld probably post less if I felt I had to use it

so.. I am putting it to the vote in a truly egocentric-democratic way :evil:

This could be your chance to get your own back :wink2: :eek: :rolleyes: :D

laudesan
11-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Jaytee you do just fine.

What WOULD we have to do, if we didn't have your posts to decipher..:D :evil:

Hugs

Europa
11-09-2004, 08:19 AM
I wouldn't use a spellchecker as they are usually programmed to American words so your spelling would be even more off the mark...... :evil:

As you say - you can decipher the words so to me it doesn't matter apart from the fact it makes fun reading. :D

So you stay just as you are JT - spelling errors and all!!

Pat

JudyL
11-09-2004, 09:06 AM
I voted "Other"
As in "Oh dear, typos? hadn't noticed"

artmom
11-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Dear Jaytee; I hesitated a long time over this poll! LOL

I checked Other, because I don't think you need a spell checker; I think you just need to sometimes read your post before you hit send!! :evil: :D

Most of the time I can figure out what you really wanted to type; but sometimes it is so garbled, my poor brain just skips over it!!!! :eek:

And, Pat, pray tell me? Is Britain not industrious enough to have a spell checker in their own inimitable language??? :confused: We Americans get blamed for so much--please don't add mispelling by the Brits to our long list of horrendous impacts!! :rolleyes: :evil: :D

Lyn

CharM
11-09-2004, 10:06 AM
JT... I love trying to decipher your posts... Don't you dare change!

Lyn... well you'd better add Canada to the list... If I use my Canadian spell check dictionary, ALL my American recipients have fits over it... Frankly, I don't think anyone BLAMED you for anything... your spelling is different... that's all...

Neeman
11-09-2004, 11:29 AM
If you are a witch, then a spell checker will not work.

Johnnie
11-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I wouldnt use a spell cheker either..

I never whent to far in skool so I wuldnt know if the spell cheker was pikin the rite word or not. :wink2:

What kounts is that ya all understand what I am saying..

Hadnt seemed to be a problem so far has it after almost 1 1/2 years or so ... LOL... :wink2:

Johnnie

jaytee
11-09-2004, 01:19 PM
LOL Thanks you guys......... Luv Ya ( 'Love You' just doesnt sound rite does it :D)

I notice of the three votes FOR a jt spellchecker no-one has decclared themselves in the thread.........so, one has to be Doug, one is probably Kev -from his comments recently about dibbers :wink2: . so theres at least one bmore out there.............

but the 'stay as sweet as you are' or as witch-like ( thankyou Neeman :eek: :D) vote is WINNING. ......so DOug......... if u want me to spell rite , better get sum maw support :evil: :evil:

Oh and Lyn............ it looks perfectly OK till AFTER I post it :D

Seriously folks......... for the non-native-english speakers I will try harder.... promise ........ ;)

Nacre
11-09-2004, 02:15 PM
JT, Luv u just like u is :wave:

hopefulbucky
11-09-2004, 02:20 PM
JT figured you were doing it on porpoise anyways. It makes your posts a challenge and fun to read. I think your brain is going faster than your fingers actually. Mine to that sometimes and as long as you are not hurting anyone, I see no problema. :D :D

Europa
11-09-2004, 02:49 PM
And, Pat, pray tell me? Is Britain not industrious enough to have a spell checker in their own inimitable language??? :confused: We Americans get blamed for so much--please don't add mispelling by the Brits to our long list of horrendous impacts!! :rolleyes: :evil: :D

Lyn

Oops Bud!! - you know you are right.....LOL....I didn't realise we had UK versions of the spell checker :o I just had to have a look at Word to check......LOL

Mental note to self : remember that technology has moved on!!

Then again in my own defence I never use one as I can spell most words - except for the really difficult ones like -

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis :evil:

or

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch :evil:

So my apologies to my American friends - and specifically my Bud Lyn :D
Oh and thanks to Microsoft for including a UK version of the spell checker. :wink2:

madmum
11-09-2004, 03:22 PM
LOL! I can decipher your typing, no worries! But I was trained in decipheration when I was working in the rates office ;) I was pretty good at scrawled handwriting too! :D

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

But can you actually SAY it? :wink2: :evil:

Jaytee can speak Welsh, she taught me to say "Araf" :evil:

Ruth

JudyL
11-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I heard Mark Twain once said he didn't trust anyone who could think of only one way to spell a word.

(he also said Gilroy California was the only place you could marinate a steak by hanging it on the clothes line)

(Gilroy is the garlic capitol of the world)

Europa
11-09-2004, 04:08 PM
LOL!

But can you actually SAY it? :wink2: :evil:

Ruth

LOL - yes I can do a pretty good pronounciation actually..(so my exboyfriend who was Welsh once told me :evil: ).....course if its written down in front of me - not off the top of me head. LOL

Christie
11-09-2004, 04:41 PM
Jaytee, if you feel you need one then go for it.:) I use one, but it is installed at the OS level and checks EVERYTHING that gets typed on this computer...

Pat, my spell checker uses the Queen's English (so to speak). There should be a UK option available to you somewhere on your pc or install disks.

Anyhow, Jaytee, my spell checker works in the background so I never have to remember to use it. It does tells me when I am wrong using an annoying little red line..:D

Now forgetting to switch to English after using French is a manual function is one that I often forget to do... spell checking English using a French dictionary makes my computer unhappy.:D :evil:

I like your posts the way they are by the way. They make my brain work.:)

artmom
11-09-2004, 05:08 PM
ROFLOL, Pat, I think you have beaten me in the spelling department!! :D

However, sometimes as a favour to my Brit friends, I type "watercolour" or "labour" or "favour" ^^^^ , etc. Just trying to keep "hands across the pond" going! :angel: :wink2:

Lyn

Yorky
11-09-2004, 05:34 PM
I voted YES!

Although if you preview your posts you will soon get fed up of correcting the spelling manually.

I recommend ieSpell for Internet Explorer, which is customisable to US or UK English and allows you to add words that are not in the standard dictionary. Download it free at www.iespell.com.

I'm pretty careful with my typing and read through my posts, but when I click on the ieSpell icon it still finds the odd mistake.

Doug

Europa
11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Christie - I did check on Word and that's how I found out it does actually do the spellcheck in English (UK).......lol......but as I said - I never use it anyway.

Lyn - shhhhhh don't tell anyone but I had to look them up.....LOL.

At the end of the day - whether you can spell or not - as long as you are understood - wellllllllll - it all adds to the rich tapestry of life doesn't it. :D

Pat

laudesan
11-09-2004, 06:04 PM
I voted YES!

Although if you preview your posts you will soon get fed up of correcting the spelling manually.

I recommend ieSpell for Internet Explorer, which is customisable to US or UK English and allows you to add words that are not in the standard dictionary. Download it free at www.iespell.com.

I'm pretty careful with my typing and read through my posts, but when I click on the ieSpell icon it still finds the odd mistake.

Doug
Nd New Zealand English, and Australian English which are totaly different to Uk and US English.. :rolleyes: :evil: :angel:

Little Old Lady
11-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Luv ya as you are. Though I should ask for translations sometimes.
JoAnn