PDA

View Full Version : Octopus 1

Owli
11-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Bear with me, I hope this works...lol. This is my first time posting an image on WC!

This is Octopus 1, acrylic on canvas, 16" X 20". It recently went to auction (Saturday night) and most embarassingly my own mother was at the auction and bought it. The acrylic is very impasto, the small tenticle on the botton is 3-D as are the suckers on the other two tenticles. I used the Golden hard molding paste for the 3-D details. Theres a glare off the painting in the pic.

Artguy29
11-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi, welcome to WC! and the acrylics forum :wave: !
I'm afraid your photo has come out very small and rather hard to see.
If you are having trouble uploading your photos, check out the New User Forum; they will be more than happy to help you out.
Looking forward to seeing this painting!

Dave

Owli
11-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Okay, trying this again...

ExpressiveAngie
11-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Hey thats awesome I totally love this :clap:

Owli
11-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks P-mama and Dave. This started out as a study of about 45 charcoals and I liked this composition so much that decided to paint it. It has a good feeling to it and I loved it so much it was hard parting with it, but when the museum curator called and asked for a donation for the auction I figured I could let her go for a good cause. I called her Octopus 1 so because I plan on doing a series of octopi, they are just such fluid subject matter.

Faded
11-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Way cool Owli! Welcome to wetcanvas, I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-Faded

Ursus17
11-08-2004, 08:36 PM
I've always wanted to paint an octopus. Something cool about the weird tentacles you just can't keep track of because they are swirling around and so many of them, how they change color and texture, how they can squeeze into something small and how they squirt ink. Sigh...I wish I was an octopus.

Thanks for sharing this. I love the 3-d effect you used.

TxAggieDarlin
11-08-2004, 10:40 PM
I like anything to do with the ocean...great job and hey, mom probably did that because she knew you did not want to part with it...go mom!!! :clap:

Bertoni
11-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Owli:
Your mom has excellent taste in art!! :clap: :clap:

Owli
11-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone, glad I finally posted something here and stopped lurking.

Bertoni: Yes, considering ma raised 3 artists...although some parents would want doctors and lawyers she's happy with with a concert clarinetist, a singer and a painter (she was raised by a sculpter so being an artist was almost inherant to me).

My next project is a triptych (sp?) featuring several underwater friends possibly a king crab, anemone, sea urchin and another octopus, all with various parts 3-d...I liked the effect and painting goes so much faster when you employ the knife.