PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Website

bjs0704
11-08-2004, 02:05 PM
I wanted to share this web site with everyone. It has tons of interesting information.
http://homepages.nyu.edu/%7Emjm11/art/index.html

The section on Drawing Material and Techniques is particularly interesting.
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/miller/guide/contents.html

In this section, the whole process of how drawings were used to develop paintings is disscussed.

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/miller/guide/function.html

I hope that someone finds something of use or of interest.

Barb Solomon:cat:

Titanium
11-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks Barb,

a good read.
For the more modern approach,I would
point in the direction of William Bouguereau.

As oil painting progressed through the
centuries,the practice became more efficient.
So a few steps here and there,in the drawing
,the painting,were considered redundant,
and left out.
Later.
Titanium

bjs0704
11-09-2004, 03:01 PM
I was reading an old exhibition catalog written during the sixties from an exhibitiion of Bouguereau’s work in Montreal. It did show much of the same process.

I can see that many artist would possibly skip steps or combine steps depending on their needs. (Some of us would have to add steps to get things right! :D )

You wouldn’t happen to know of anything on the web that would show Bouguereau going through the “drawing to painting” process?

Of course, contemporary teaching techniques would stress either “stream of conciousness” or “plein aire” painting, this type of approach is new to me. I like the fact that it allows an artist to do something a little more complex. (Working this way is still more of an aspiration of mine than a reality unfortunately. :) )

Barb Solomon :cat:

Titanium
11-10-2004, 06:09 AM
Morning Barb,

the secret to W.Bouguereau's work,apart from
his many hours of hard practice is in his
individual studies of body parts i.e:Heads etc.

You can see this here,

http://www.xs4all.nl/~frqnc23/framesen.html

this site is a bit easier to work around than the
ARC,which you can also go to.

Additionally,if you got a copy of National Gallery
Technical Bulletin vol.20.
It's on Van Dyck and shows oil painting at the
most polished level.

However the best teacher is to simple create your
own masterpieces and just keep going through
the steps and see what your missing.

What's -“stream of conciousness” ?

Please note I am presently trying to explain that
there is a difference between the Apprenticeship
Drawing Techniques of the Old Masters,
and the French Academic Drawing techniques.

So you need to note this and factor it into your
own work.
Later.
Titanium

guillot
11-10-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks Barb :wave:

Intersting observation (at the bottom of the page) on current trends in the 1st link !!

Tina

bjs0704
11-10-2004, 07:01 PM
I should have known that “many hours of hard practice” was Bouguereau’s secret! :) But seriously, it is good to know about the individual “body part” studies. That is something that many people overlook!

I looked at the website for Bouguereau. It is excellent! I like the fact that everything is displayed by year.

I probably should post my last attempt (after I get over the embarrassment! :D ).

There is possibly a need to come up with an approach for artist who like the “Old Masters”. There are many differences between a 19th Century approach to painting and the 17th C approach.

I have read other posts of yours in which you mention the National Gallery Bulletins. Where do you find them? (This one sounds interesting and I remember something about one Bulletin that had something on Reubens.)

“Stream of Conciousness” was an approach that the surrealist popularized. It’s poetic form is easiest to understand. A poet would write down his thoughts as they popped into his head with no editing.
Some versions of this approach allows the artist to go back and take sections from the writing to come up with a final result. Supposely, one might approach painting in a similar fashion. The Surrealists wanted to access any subconcious thoughts that might occur.

Barb Solomon :cat:

CoolArtiste
11-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Titanium, are you coldbozo / Kaimraj?
You sound like him.