View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 3 - Drawing Cubic Objects - Old thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

JayD
11-08-2004, 12:51 AM
Basic 101
Class 3
Drawing Cubic Objects

Materials:

For this class you can use the same number two pencil from the first two classes or, if you want, go ahead and incorporate your pencil of choice.

The Cube:

A cube has a top, a bottom, and four sides. /Thousands of objects have the cube at their very core. Cubes will not always be perfectly equilateral. They can be short, long or tall. They can be boxes, they can be found in animals and in churches. Cubes are everywhere. Look at figure 1.

This is a sketch that I completed in about 15 minutes or so—it is a graphite and colored pencil drawing. Notice that its main components are cubes. To create this sketch, I took two photos printed out from my computer—I print out all my images on photo paper as I notice that I get a sharper image. Both images are in color although sometimes I will print out a third gray scale image. However you can take a piece of hard red plastic and lay it over your color photo and the colors will wash away and you can clearly see your values. One of the color photos I place on my table as the reference photo. The other photo is placed on my light table and I backlight the image so that I can see elements of the picture that I would otherwise miss.

Next I just did a sketch starting first with a loose drawing to determine the basic geometric shapes. The shapes are drawn over and over again until I get the shape that I am looking for. In this case the core components are cubes. See if you can find the cubes in this image.

In this sketch there are four cubes clearly represented of varying shapes and sizes. Also because this is only a sketch I don’t need to strictly enforce the laws of perspective. If I want to develop this picture further I simply take a sheet of tracing paper, lay it over the sketch and trace the sketch lines onto the tracing paper—I can then make my perspective corrections onto the tracing paper prior to transfer—I use a heavy vellum to do this.. I then will rub graphite on the opposite side and transfer my corrected drawing to the “Good paper “ and then will proceed in whatever media that I want. You may also do the transfer via graphite paper, light table, or by taping the paper to a glass door or window and using it as a “natural light table”. You can also transfer by grid or by compass (which I do sometimes.)

Keeping these procedures in mind the class assignment is going to be a very short one. The idea is to draw….draw…draw… Below I have provided several examples of images that contain cubes. Some are very simple but repetitive. Choose whichever one of these you would like to draw OR you can choose an image of your own liking. Do the following:

1. Take a look closely at your chosen image and, in your mind, visualize the cubes that are contained in your picture. DO NOT visualize squares—visualize the cube as a three-dimensional object—the picture you are drawing is, after all, a picture of something three-dimensional.

2. Relative to the image, begin to flesh out the cubes on your paper—draw the entire cube or cubes as you see them.

3. Note their relationship to each other. Make sure that your proportions are correct. When you draw the cubes draw lightly restating your lines over and over until you get the image positioned an proportioned as you see fit. Start to flesh out the rest of the picture.

4. Darken those lines that you wish to keep—some lines on the three dimensional cube may not be seen in the picture that you draw so those lines DO NOT have to be darkened.

5. Add the detail to your image loosely again restating the lines until you are satisfied.

6. Once your sketch is complete, transfer the sketch to your vellum (tracing paper)—correct for perspective IF necessary.

7. Using your preferred method, transfer the image to your “good paper”.

8. Detail and fine-tune your image.

The beauty of this method is that you can take several images and create a composite image. You have a scene in a room, for example, that has no people but you have a sketch of a person who might fit in nicely—the solution is to transfer the person to your room drawing (adjusting for scale of course) and paint away.

For now, just concentrate on the cubes. If you have a drawing that you are working on and you do not have a lot of time, use that drawing for your exercise this week. However, this week I would also like you to take your sketchbook with you wherever you go and when you sketch—look for the cubes both man-made and in nature and see how many you can locate. Feel free to share your sketching with the rest of the class so that we may all learn from your experiences. Good luck and happy drawing!

PS: Below are links to the previous class and pre-class threads!
Basic 101:Pre-Class Assignments and FAQs--PLEASE READ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221326)
Basic 101:Class1 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223763) Basic 101: Class 2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225461)

Deb Leger
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Looks good, Jay!

This is one I'm going to enjoy. :D

Deb

artdude
11-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Sticked and added links to the previous classes so they will be easier to find :)

:clap: KUDOS to you Jay for doing such a GREAT job with this! :clap:

Murray
-----------------------

JayD
11-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks Deb and Murray.

Deb, you guys can now use your new found perspective superpowers for the forces of good--and everyone knows there's nothing gooder then a cube. :D

ps--get the red plastic and try it--you won't regret it--comes in handy when you are where the photoshop isn't.

g7i7n7a
11-08-2004, 12:50 PM
most excellent, your excellency!
I'm pumped for the lesson, just one quick, stupid question...I only see 2 cubes and a rectangle in the barn sketch...
thanks again for all your work. :clap: :clap: :clap:
blessings,
gina

Mary Woodul
11-08-2004, 01:22 PM
:clap: KUDOS to you Jay for doing such a GREAT job with this! :clap:

Murray
-----------------------

I'll second that, for sure!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
11-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Gina, a cube has a top and a bottom and four sides. You are think ing of an equilateral cube. A rectangle can be a cube.

Cathie Jones
11-08-2004, 04:22 PM
WooHoo! New stuff!! I think we're ready . . . well, maybe tomorrow. Monday is PageMaker day . . .

Deb, don't forget to e-mail the pdf to me!

JayD
11-08-2004, 04:48 PM
ATTENTION: Gina brought up an interesting observation--can a cube be rectangular? Well yes....and apparently know--so we are, for the purposes of this class, right-

It has come to my attention that there are schools of thought on what constitutes a cube so read this from Wordnet.com

cube [kjʊb]
A noun
1 block, cube

a three-dimensional shape with six square or rectangular sides

HOWEVER: If you go to Merriam Webster they will tell you that the cube has to be equilateral.

SO

for the purpose of the class we will abide by the De Reyna (our textbook) definition in which Rudy goes for either squared or retangular cubes.

Thanks, Gina--good observation.--jay

bjcpaints
11-08-2004, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=JayD]Basic 101
This is a sketch that I completed in about 15 minutes or so—it is a graphite and colored pencil drawing. Notice that its main components are cubes. To create this sketch, I took two photos printed out from my computer—I print out all my images on photo paper as I notice that I get a sharper image. Both images are in color although sometimes I will print out a third gray scale image. However you can take a piece of hard red plastic and lay it over your color photo and the colors will wash away and you can clearly see your values. One of the color photos I place on my table as the reference photo. The other photo is placed on my light table and I backlight the image so that I can see elements of the picture that I would otherwise miss.

OK I went 3 places on my lunch break and was unable to find this hard red plastic -clear I presume. Any hints as to where I might find a piece?
Barbara

JayD
11-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Barb, here is the one that I use--it can be plastic or glass or even the perverbial rose colored glasses. I assume you probably went to a retail store and just went hunting. I got mine from a pile of plastic that was lying around in a shop somewhere--so best advice is to just keep your eyes peeled.

g7i7n7a
11-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Jayd ,
Thankyou for clearing that up, I don't have the text book yet, so let's pretend that's why I'm so clued out...

Would that thin, filmy, coloured stuff that is used in paper 3-D glasses work? I'm hoping they carry it at Staples. (maybe that's canadian..) :)

gina

JayD
11-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey, we have a Staples here in High Point!--Yes that would work just fine.

Jet
11-08-2004, 08:43 PM
JayD and The Gang:
Glad that we went through the 'perspective maze', any survivors will enjoy the ride now,as it all goes downhill now !! :clap:

About the Cube 'issue......
according to the book..page#21-Cubic forms in everyday things
Rudy de Reyna in his book 'How to Draw what You See'
The figures in this project, represent only some of the thosands of objects that have 'the cube' as their underlaying structure. As a rule,they won't be perfect equilateral cubes. But, whether they're long, narrow, and thin or short, wide, and thick they'll still conform to the cube, by having a top, a bottom, and four sides.

Regards
:wave:

JayD
11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Yup..what I said....Thanks, Jet! :)

bjcpaints
11-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Would that thin, filmy, coloured stuff that is used in paper 3-D glasses work? I'm hoping they carry it at Staples. (maybe that's canadian..) :)

gina[/QUOTE]

They did not have it at OfficeMax, Hobby Town, JoAnn's Crafts,KMart, or OddLots.
Today I will try Michael's Crafts and Arlene's Art supplies.
Barbara

bjcpaints
11-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Maybe someone could tell me the correct way to do a quote?
Thanks,
Barbara

Deb Leger
11-09-2004, 10:55 AM
Maybe someone could tell me the correct way to do a quote?
Thanks,
Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Do you see in the posting that you did, when you hit the quote button, there are codes before the quote and codes after? You cannot remove any of those codes. You can remove words of the quote but not of that code. Type AFTER the code.

That oughta do it!!

Deb

Here's a screen shot to show you the code you should see when you hit the quote button:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2004/11775-Capture1.jpg

g7i7n7a
11-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Good Morning Everyone;

The other possibility for finding red plastic is a sign store.

gina, :wave:

bjcpaints
11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Hi Barbara,

Do you see in the posting that you did, when you hit the quote button, there are codes before the quote and codes after? You cannot remove any of those codes. You can remove words of the quote but not of that code. Type AFTER the code.

That oughta do it!!

Deb

I just realized I was supposed to highlight the words being quoted. Maybe it will work this time. Thanks for trying to help me Deb. I was starting to feel like a doodah. :(
Barbara

ps Thanks Gina for sign store tip!

Judi1957
11-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Today was a little frightening...Everywhere I went I saw cubes....in perspective!!!!!!!

Judi

Jet
11-09-2004, 11:00 PM
JayD and Classmates: :wave:

This week's topic has many satisfactions after last 2 weeks of left-side brain work....
It's funny how we start looking at everyday objects under new 'eyesight'...lol...

I'd like to add few options for the 'Red Plastic' approach....

When in low budget, You can use plastic films for similar effect, try a non-wrinkled piece of plastic sheet on your photograph, with the added advantage that it can be easily taped on top of it, for easier storage and transportation; It doesn't brake, and in case it gets wrinkled toss it away and use another one ...it's disposable !!

Try different colors and you'll get a different combination of tones and shades..Have fun changing the 'mood' of your picture by trying dark green,navy blue, yellow and of course, red too !!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2004/27782-PlasticFilms3.jpeg....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2004/27782-PlasticFilms1.gif
:clap:

Regards!

Deb Leger
11-09-2004, 11:45 PM
JayD and Classmates: :wave:

This week's topic has many satisfactions after last 2 weeks of left-side brain work....
It's funny how we start looking at everyday objects under new 'eyesight'...lol...

I'd like to add few options for the 'Red Plastic' approach....

When in low budget, You can use plastic films for similar effect, try a non-wrinkled piece of plastic sheet on your photograph, with the added advantage that it can be easily taped on top of it, for easier storage and transportation; It doesn't brake, and in case it gets wrinkled toss it away and use another one ...it's disposable !!

Try different colors and you'll get a different combination of tones and shades..Have fun changing the 'mood' of your picture by trying dark green,navy blue, yellow and of course, red too !!
:clap:

Regards!

Hi Jet, thanks for the info. Do you know where you can buy this stuff??? The film, I mean.

I found two items at Cheap Joe's, here (http://www.cheapjoes.com/catalog/products.asp?id=530&pid=58&ppid=6) and here (http://www.cheapjoes.com/catalog/products.asp?id=532&pid=58&ppid=6) for anyone NOT in low budget and wishing to buy the kits! :D

Deb

JayD
11-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Judi--that's a good thing--wait til we add the other objects :D

Jet--thanks for the information--the idea of the red film or plastic is to use it to filter out light. You will get a pretty good value scale--let me know what you think.

How are the assignments coming?

Deb Leger
11-09-2004, 11:56 PM
WooHoo! New stuff!! I think we're ready . . . well, maybe tomorrow. Monday is PageMaker day . . .

Deb, don't forget to e-mail the pdf to me!

Hi Cathie,

I mailed it off to you just now. And to Ann and one to Jay also!

Thanks!

Deb

JayD
11-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Deb, I just got the class three pdf. It looks really good. Thanks again for doing this for those of you who are offering these as downloads at your websites.

Cathie Jones
11-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Got it!

Deb's beautiful Adobe versions of Lesson 3 and class notes on perspective from Lesson 2 are now available for download . . .

I drew some living room cubes last night and am refining them (I hope!) before posting . . . should have something to show tomorrow night.

I'm enjoying finding cubes everywhere! :clap: Just wish I had more time to draw the cubes I find!!!!

JayD
11-10-2004, 12:20 AM
here's a class hint for cubes: Look in your freezer. :evil:

daniellat
11-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Hmmm, look in my freezer. Okay, Aha!! Breyer's strawberry ice cream, a half gallon - that's a cube.

Hmm, a box of sugar free popsicles - that's a cube.

Lemme see, now, (as she rummages in freezer) Ah ha!! Sara Lee German Chocolate Cake - that's a cube.

Okay, so now I have three cubes. Do I get to eat them after I draw them???

:evil: :wink2: :evil:

Daniella

JayD
11-10-2004, 07:33 AM
I am Fedexing a box of insulin to your house, Daniella :D

Deb Leger
11-10-2004, 08:05 AM
:D

I'm seeing an ice cube tray ( a rectangular cube ) filled with all kinds of smaller cubes! (That'll be a challenge!) Also a couple of boxes of frozen pizza, a box with chicken fingers, a rubbermaid squarish box with frozen parsley,

and.................... :D :wink2:

a small rubbermaid thingie with a frozen carnation corsage. (Darned thing's been in there for about twelve years from when my oldest son was in a wedding party. Why do I save these things? :confused:)

Lots to draw there! :D

Deb

JayD
11-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Freezer saving is an odd thing. When my daughter took a trip to Costa Rica, her parrot, who was very old, died. Because of the heat outside, I was reluctant to dispose of the bird directly so for the time being I wrapped the bird up in MANY layers of alumininum foil and stuck him in a strorage bag and plopped him into the freezer(the cryonic bird)----and totally forgot he was there.

UNTIL TWO YEARS LATER

my mother in law--on one of her nosy romps thorugh my house started going through the freezer--came across this unidentified package--and opened it!

'nuff said. :D

Jet
11-10-2004, 08:53 AM
....PLOP !!....Kool joke for your MIL... :cool: ...lol..
------------

I've been 'hunting' cubic objects all around, and i've found some of my friends square heads also but they were not willing to pose for me, so i stayed with the more mundane subjects instead...lol...

here's a simple toaster ...

Regards

JayD
11-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Jet, nice work!--I especially like the work you did on a lever. It is suprising how we are having to HUNT for the cubes--sometimes they pop out at us and sometimes they are barely perceptible. Look at your hand for example--the palm area is basically a cube when you get down to it. Did you know that a plain old glass windo is a cube? We see it as two dimensional but in space it exists as a cube--we just cannot see all of it. All objects that exist in a three dimensional world exhibit 3 dimensional characteristics--again, you won't always see a total cube, or sphere or cylinder--the objects weave in and out of each other like a cleverly crafted American Indian basket.

g7i7n7a
11-10-2004, 12:39 PM
...must embrace the cube... :(

I worked on the assignments yesterday, until exasperated.The first 2 - barn and clock/bricks. finally gave up (and sketched da vinci heads. that was easier, what is that about?) But I did get the text book last night, (finallly) maybe that will help. I think I know what i'm doing wrong, but if I get p.o.-ed
again, I might have to bother you for help. :) :)
excuse me while I vent.
gina

ps have a great day! :wave:
and thanks again!!!

bjcpaints
11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
I was getting hungry with all that talk of "whats in your freezer" until your little story JayD. Yesterday I purchased a LARGE sheet of clear red acetate at my favorite Art Supply store ($3.69+tax). Figured I could always use the balance for some kind of Christmas decoration. LOL 3D cube drawing is on my lunchbreak agenda for today. Its really cold here (like being in the freezer) so I will be drawing in my car with the heat on. Brrrrrr. Also I found the original of the kite flying painting and printed it out so I can go back and correct mine - I guess I go back to lesson#2 for that?
Barbara

Mary Woodul
11-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Freezer saving is an odd thing. When my daughter took a trip to Costa Rica, her parrot, who was very old, died. Because of the heat outside, I was reluctant to dispose of the bird directly so for the time being I wrapped the bird up in MANY layers of alumininum foil and stuck him in a strorage bag and plopped him into the freezer(the cryonic bird)----and totally forgot he was there.

UNTIL TWO YEARS LATER

my mother in law--on one of her nosy romps thorugh my house started going through the freezer--came across this unidentified package--and opened it!

'nuff said. :D

You have been making me laugh all morning........I guess I better go draw some cubes!!!! :D

sultry
11-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi everyone, I must admit that I am having trouble seeing mid tones.

I wonder if it has something to do with my lazy eye. I was diagonosed with Amblyopia when I was a little girl.

What the opthamologist had me do was use a patch on my good eye and read with my lazy eye but use a red film over the book. He said it would be easier on my eye.

I am just wondering if that excercise has made me immune to see middle tones now. :(

Through the years I only had the crossing of my eyes when I was tired and could not focus on people.

Not till ten years ago, did I have the laser eye surgery for my severe nearsightedness. I can now say that I never have had the problem of lazy eye again.

Anyways, heres my assignment which was drawn freehand, then I added perspective and traced it on a to a better cleaner paper.

I used a reference photo of a cube and gradually darkened it from bright light to a darker value, so I could see the mid tones.

I am not sure if that was ok but it helped me tremendously to see tones turn darker (where I was so blind to it before).

( lol (yes, its supposed be an ice cube). & @ 3pt perspective no less. :)

g7i7n7a
11-10-2004, 03:47 PM
UPdate
unhappy camper - relatively content, but still longing for the Biltmore

attached - speaker , drawn from a cube :clap: , held up to the window to outline for clean copy, (makes more sense than doing so much erasing.)
attempted shading, not exactly correct, but it's a start. :)
gina

ps- cool cube!

g7i7n7a
11-10-2004, 03:52 PM
oops!! :D

Mary Woodul
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone!!! Well after I laughed all morning over Jay D's experience with the parrot I had to cook, so I'm posting my cube. Meat loaf! I had to sit in front of the oven and couldn't get a clear view through the window....... I had to keep opening the oven door so it is not a very good drawing but I think it is a cube. Those long things are strips of bacon......they look like snakes!!!

JayD
11-10-2004, 04:09 PM
uhmmmmmmmm.....snacon.......hsssssss.....

The cube is in the main body--draw the cube and then reshape and add the handles and such--these objects are NOT always going to be plainly visible. Love the baon strips--nice touch.

Gina, do it! It's a grand idea--do the Biltmore--you speaker looks really keen and you say you used a glass pane? That is impressive. :)

g7i7n7a
11-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Jayd ...ok boss. :)

Warm wishes to Barbara,( myhubby was in shorts last night when we walked the dog. neener neener. :wink2:)

Sultry, glad to hear your eyesight has been restored, a blessing, especially for an artist.

Mary, what time should we be there for dinner?

HI jet, I know your out there somewhere. :wave:

gina

Judi1957
11-10-2004, 11:30 PM
Just had to have a bowl of ice cream before I posted after reading all this!
I was glad there were M & M's in it and not little brownie 'cubes'!

Anyway, This was the 'cubiest' area in the house. I need to do a little more correcting on this in a couple of places like the counter top angle-needs a couple of degree alterations. Should have done a better overall check and completed all the cubes before I started any detailing.
Didn't get the red plastic yet. Had a hit and run accident in D.C. on the way home and didn't get home till 9:00. (everyone is OK-Whew!!!), forgot to go to Staples after that!

Will get the red plastic and do the value study before I go any further on the shading.

Judi

Cathie Jones
11-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Judi, your kitchen cubes look very good!! Nice clean lines.

Here's my rough . . . TV cube inside entertainment center cube inside wall cubby cube, with another cube above.

Haven't tried tracing/redrawing yet, but I did rough out the perspective. I think you can see the line across the center.

JayD
11-11-2004, 12:03 AM
Judi--that is a lovely kitchen--you're right--very cubeliscious. As far as the values goe--you're going to be looking through the screen a the the live kitchen so that you can get an idea of where the values occur THEN translate them to paper.

Hey, CJ--I have the hardest time with televisions--I have no idea why but I do. Nice TV--do you feel that you have established the depth of the cabinet--cube with a cube, eh?

Cathie Jones
11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
JayD, there really wasn't much depth because I was sitting in front of the TV, but the sizes of the TV and the box it's sitting in are off - they should be a bit bigger.

But this brings up the question of whether depth, or any other part of the subject, should sometimes be exaggerated to create a more pleasant view. I know that in drawing from a photograph for a watercolor painting, you don't necessarily follow the photo exactly, but move things around to create a more desirable center of interest. Does that apply to drawing also?

Jet
11-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Hello fellow 'cubic critters' hunters.. :D

I had to climb up the roof and saw this 'cubic critter' looking at me, so i whipped out my graphite gun, and zapped it out for you .... :wink2: :D

Thanks for your words

Regards

JayD
11-11-2004, 06:57 AM
CJ--absolutely--copying verbatim is just that-copying and there is certainly nothing wrong with it--as a matter of fact it is one of the foundations of good solid practice. HOWEVER, when you make subtle changes--rearrange something--play with the copy--THEN you are adding the element of style--which is really what seasons the quality of a picture.

Besides many of you are honing your drawing skiills in order to enchance your chosen media--so drawing becomes part of the planning stage--it is when you SHOULD be experimenting. So, CJ--when you do these projects--feel free to add a little bit of CJ to the mix--play around with them and see what happenss.

Jet--nice work--is the fan part really that small--I have never seen a box fan quite like that before but I like it very much especially your chosen angle.

By the way, how is the weekly drawing thread going with you--are you moving onward with that nice drawing?

mothsailor
11-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Seeing all those great cubes :clap: has inspired me to join in! Maybe using books is cheating ! :o

bjcpaints
11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Wow! Everyone's drawings look great! Sultry - love the cube - really does look 3D! My daughter and I both had the ambliopia (sp?) and wore patches but I don't remember the red film.
BTW I have enough red film for the whole class if anyone wants a piece cut and mailed to them - pm me! Glad to share.
Gina, Thanks for the warmth! Your speaker is cool! :cool:
Meatloaf again for dinner! Great job - looks realistic - hope its turkey meatloaf - I don't do beef! LOL
Cathie and Judi - Really nice drawing.
I sat in the parking lot in a small industrial park yesterday at lunch and drew the face of the building with the dumpster and stacks of pallets, cubes everywhere, etc. Will refine and scan on the weekend after my craft show. Have a great day everyone - hope you got it off from work - I didn't. :crying:
Barbara

JayD
11-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Dave--love the books. Welcome to the club--glad to have you participate. I like the arrangement of the books as well as then shading and texture. Very nice job.

Jet
11-11-2004, 12:05 PM
Seeing all those great cubes :clap: has inspired me to join in! Maybe using books is cheating ! :o
Hi Mothsailor, those books is an accurate example of cube...

If using books is cheating, then let's cheat together.. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2004/27782-bookTN.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2004/27782-book.jpg)

Welcome to WC

keep posting those cubies !!

Regards

g7i7n7a
11-11-2004, 03:20 PM
How to avoid newbie drawing frustration 101

1. always begin with horizon line (don't wait until your half done your detailed sketch only to discover your looking down at an up shot.

2.don't "draw lines and erase, draw lines and erase" ,leave the wrong lines to act as a guide and transfer to clean sheet, this saves time and money on erasers.

3. don't start refining detail until completely satisfied with all outline forms(nothing worse than completing a perfect eye, capturing the very soul of your model, only to find it's in the middle of the face. Exception to rule, model is cyclops.

4.do - drink a little wine, will deaden your pain, and will make all your drawings look super-fantastic.

Cathie Jones
11-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Gina - all except the wine thing. I don't seem to need that. I can see a drawing as looking perfectly straight, good shading, perspective right on . . . so proud that I scan it to post here . . . and that's where I need the wine! ;) Just happened again. Perfectly awful sketches looked so good on paper, so bad on the monitor. Maintaining my sense of humor so far. Maybe I'll try drawing a few horizon lines. Can't go too far wrong with that! :D

JayD
11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
But CJ--if you don't like the drawing and you don't think it is worthy of scanning then you--

1. drop the picture to the floor

2. pour the wine all over the picture on the floor

3. pour a glass for yourself

4. Strike a match to the wine soaked paper

5. Drink a toast to the demise of the drawing. :D

Mary Woodul
11-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi, you guys, I've been working on my steps for the WDT and was passing by.

Sultry,I like your cube, thas cool!!!

Gina, your speaker is so realistic and your pencil work quite soft. It looks great. You can come to dinner anytime :D

JayD, now I got it, i didn't start with a cube first, I wnet straight to the drawing and I must be cheating on my reading because I didn't know what the red plastic was for. I try to get one here.

Judi your kitchen looks like a designers drawing..great!!!

Cathie, you really have a cube in a cube, that neat. :cat:

Wow Jet, I hadn't thought of climbing up on my roof. I wonder what I could find up there? The (tinaco), but that's cylindrical, so I'll wait. :D

Dave, what a nice arrangement of books!!!

Barbara, I hadn't though of turkey loaf, good idea.

Well I better go back to the steps, something is not checking right :crying:

g7i7n7a
11-11-2004, 06:55 PM
HA ha!

I do find that my drawings look fine as well, until I scan. So...is the scan truer (is that a word?) image, the same affect as holding your drawing up to a mirror... or is the scan ...off?
gina

g7i7n7a
11-11-2004, 07:02 PM
HA ha!

I do find that my drawings look fine as well, until I scan. So...is that the same affect as holding your drawing up to a mirror... or is the scan ...off?
gina

Cathie Jones
11-11-2004, 07:41 PM
JayD, I like the way you think. I don't drink, but was pretty sure wine must be good for something other than salad dressing!!! :D

Gina, I'm not sure if the scanner is true, but I don't think so. The scanner is a HP, but the kind that's made specifically for scanning photos, and it doesn't like pencil drawings much. I have a new 11x17 scanner on the way - should get it next week. Let's hope it improves my drawings . . . something sure needs to! :eek:

Judi1957
11-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Evening All!

Gina and Cathy, hope your scanner problems get fixed. I had a lot of trouble and I seemed to get better scans with the sharper lines. I don't know if that will hold true for everything, but its working now. I would look at my drawing and then the scan and be confused also. Sharpness did seem to be it though-for me. I have a Dell All-in-One 922 Printer/Scanner. It also makes geat photos. I always had a light touch and just needed to bring back some of my drafting skills, which I haven't used for years as we use Autocad for all of our designs now. I was told to do a quick design by hand while ago and my supervisor walked by and said " What the heck are you doing???!!! Just a little story.... maybe ya had to be there....

Anyway, as to the red acetate issue, I bought a "Basket bag" which is simply red acetate made into a bag. Got it at Michaels for 99 cents plus tax.
It's 22" X 25" (times two as it is a bag). So if you have a Micheals or another craft store in town you may find it there. I found it by the wrapping paper rolls. Made by Tartan.

Judi

JayD
11-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Judi--if you are going to be using something thin try this:

1. take some heavy card stock

2. Cut yourself a window in the center of it so that you have a handy viewer

3. Take your acetate and tape it over the window

Try it and let me know what you think! :)

How are the drawings coming everyone?

Do we need to extend the cubes for another week as well?

Judi1957
11-11-2004, 10:00 PM
JayD,
Oh yeh, I was supposed to go to Staples. I'll do that if sturdying up the film with a frame isn't adequate.
Thanks for the advice.

Judi

JayD
11-11-2004, 10:16 PM
By the way, if you only secure one side so the acetate is hinged you can lift the color gel (the acetate) and then you have a handle viewfinder for setting up your compositions. :)

Deb Leger
11-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Cube attached!

The pic looks bad - the real sketch is much darker but if I try to darken this, the contrast goes haywire! (It isn't a scanned one, it's a digital pic.)

Drawing with proper perspective isn't nearly as fun and spontaneous as just drawing! Found that out. (Being an artist is much more fun than being an architect. ;) )

More to follow.

Deb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Nov-2004/11775-cube_1.JPG

JayD
11-11-2004, 11:08 PM
I am personally not a big perspective hound myself--there is something to be said for something just a teenie bit off. Great carton--I think you should leave the lines in--and some yellow brickwork and title it "the roads to creme". :D

I draw on the analogy of a story that I heard regarding the shotput event at the first Olympics. The American team decided that when they practiced they would compete using the EXACT weight of the ancient Olympic shotput--what they did not realize was the shotputs being used at the competion were much lighter. Because of their mistake of working with the heavier shotputs, the Americans were afforded a severe advantage in the competion because, to them, the objects were "light" and the throwing was effortless.

This is how it is with perspective. Once it becomes natural to you and you put it aside--the notion of perspective as applied to your "real" art will be light and effortless just like the shotputs.

sultry
11-11-2004, 11:12 PM
just want to say thank you Gina, Barbara & Mary :)

oh Gina I do like the speaker

Nice carton Deb isn't perspective helping though? I know it is not easy but it does help to make the drawings so 3d.

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Hi,
I"ve learned alot this week, did things I couldn't have done 3 weeks ago,

Biltmore exterior, full of cubes - too difficult.
interior - that was a little easier, not very many cubes though.
gina

thanks sultry.

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 01:49 AM

JayD
11-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Gina, I knew you could do it--congratulations!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
11-12-2004, 09:43 AM
I think the reason we see flaws in our drawings on the computer monitor that we didn't see on the drawing itself is because it's smaller and it gives us the effect of moving away from it, kind of like using a reducing lens - my watercolor instructor had one of these (opposite of a magnifying lens), and you'd be surprised how much more objective you can be when looking at your painting through it.

That said, I have been so busy this week that I haven't done much drawing. I'm hoping to get some cubes in today. (And I still haven't unpacked)

Michelle H.

bjcpaints
11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Gina and Deb, Good drawing!!! :clap: :clap: I think I might be drawing my office here at work today. Let's see what I can get away with on a Friday. :D
Barbara

Deb Leger
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Love the "road to creme", Jay! :D They *do* look like roads. I see what you mean about the shotput vs perspective. It'll get effortless. I hope. And will be beneficial.

When I read about your keeping dead parrots in your freezer, it made me think of this joke I had but can't find. I'll find it though and post it.

Judi, thanks for posting the pic of the package you got your red acetate in!

Sultry, thanks and yes it does help in the drawing. And they do end up looking much more 3-d.

Gina, nice drawings. The lobby one is awesome. Wouldn't it make a great painting?

Barb, thanks and I too want to sneak some drawing in tonight!

Can't go back any farther in the messages to comment because I'm now officially late for work! Gotta run!

Deb

sultry
11-12-2004, 11:25 AM
wow Gina great sketch you could go into home interiors with that beautiful straight perspective view of the Hotel. :clap:

funny, last night I was in our living room and happened to look up and see cubes....guess what cubes I saw?

Was lazy though, no perspective lines or transfering it to better paper yet. I do plan on doing that later and maybe adding a person in the picture for a later drawing. Now that I know what Jay means by transferring things.

Everyone is doing so well :) its great to see such progress. :)

Jay your one heck of a great teacher.

Cathie Jones
11-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Jay, to answer your extension question from yesterday - I don't feel a need to extend cube week, but I have an ulterior motive - - I need to get to the sketching-type stuff before the middle of April. This whole exercise is mainly so I can keep a decent-looking watercolor sketch journal on vacation in Tahiti. You don't want to waste a vacation like that with just a bunch of photos!! :eek:

Anyway, if you think we need an extension it's okay - I just may have to jump ahead at some point. And I'll be the first to admit that I haven't drawn a decent looking cube yet!

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks Everyone,

Deb, my thoughts exactly, a couple of the interiors shots seem like they would make great paintings.
Interior Design is a hobby for me, so that was motivation for that sketch,(even though I ran out of steam, and it's not that great, but it was fun.

As for the cubes, I've completed a shoe today and I think I'm eginning to get the jist of the purpose of this cube lesson. Started to mentally get a picture of the volume of the object, rather than initially seeing it as one dimensional, even though it is 3-d, ( if that makes sense.)
and attempted more shading, even though it's not correct, it's a start.
blessings,
gina

JayD
11-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Gina--exactly! that shoe would look good in watercolor and ink.

CJ--I will during each class give you guys the opportunity to extend the lesson one week if you feel you need it but it looks like you folks are flyin' here.

Jet
11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
How are the drawings coming everyone?

Do we need to extend the cubes for another week as well?

JayD, I believe that this week's lesson is just 1 part of the whole set of 4 basic forms (3-cubic, 4-cylindrical, 5-spherical, 6-conical), that just has gotten split for showing each separately.

This split approach serves as introduction for lesson 7-Putting Basic Forms Together-and , takes us into Lesson 8-The Horizon Plane, which is the last lesson for the basic course on fundamental skills of drawing.

On Lesson 9 starts the Intermediate Course that teaches us light and shade for getting more realistic results in our art pieces....

So I believe that it really doesn't need a whole week for each, as it usually is taught as one global unit.
We could even go through cubic and cylindrical in one week, then spherical and conical in another week. putting basic forms together and Horizon plane in another week.
Then, without getting stagnated too long on the topic of basic forms, we would go into the intermediate section and start getting into the fun and creative stuff...

Just my point of view as an outsider...

Kind Regards

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Jayd,
I did get a piece of plastic,(from a plastics shop$5) 1/4 inch thick, I think that's too thick, almost blocks out too much. How thick is yours? maybe 1/8 would be better.
gina

JayD
11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Jet, the point of drawing the way that I have set up the class is to give the students a chance to focus on these basic elements--intensive drawing or practice--makes perfect.

I doubt anyone needs more then a week on each one but I want to devote a week one each object to help hone our skills of observation. We are already starting to see some very positive results.

I think that DeReyna spends very little time on these subjects because there is so little to say basically--BUT if you read further into his chapters you will find that HE wants you to draw HUNDREDS of these objects--which,if you consider the time we all have to work would could constitute several weeks for each object--I would rather that you focus on a few project each week and get those right--and practice using the eye to brain skills in sorting out the objects in your everyday life. Sketch if you must and you should but always be thinking spatially. Drawing one object will not sharpen your skill. Each section deserves a week.--OH, AND YOU ARE HARDLY AN OUTSIDER. :)

CJ--don't worry we will easily get to what you are looking for LONG before April so I ask that you guys be patient.

JayD
11-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Mine is an eighth of an inch--fancy that and pardon the freudian slip. :D

Judi1957
11-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Gina...love that shoe! :clap:

Cathy...Tahiti..I am so-o-o-o jealous :envy:

Sultry...great couch..looks cozy and soft :clap:

Deb...I agree...perspective will become second nature. :D

Barb...you go girl! :wink2:

JayD is a great teacher... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with Jet. Even though some, like me, are behind a bit..the class can still move forward. As JayD basically said, we all do not need be done when we move on. We all have different schedules and work at different paces. We could take a year if we kept extending (That should scare you JayD :evil: ). Granted, an extension may be needed for some sessions..but as Jet has said, we can combine a couple in a week. That way we keep moving along.

Just a question, is the whole class still here?

Judi

mhimeswc
11-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Here is my contribution for cubical shapes. It is a hope chest that I did from a photo. I do have a hope chest in my bedroom, but it's much too messy in there for me to get all the junk off of it, or to find room to sit anywhere to sketch it. :)

I re-traced my sketch onto a clean piece of paper.

Hope to get some more cube practice in over the weekend. I could use several more weeks of cubes, but I know the class has to move on. I still have trouble doing sketching cubes from real objects, and haven't tried anything truly complicated yet.

Michelle H.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/20035-HopeChest.jpg

JayD
11-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Michelle--that is very nice and it is so pristine! Don't worry but you will still be doing cubes the next week and the week after. I guess I did not explain this properly--if I give you an assignment to do a sphere for example and the picture you choose just happens to contain a cube--you are expected to do both. My bad and so sorry! :D

CJ, that should help move you along faster as well.

cmwynn
11-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I have been drawing cubes all week, though they don't look like finished drawings. The one I did most was a small table, about 25 times. I had a very hard time convincing myself that looking head on, both the back legs were supposed to be inside the two front legs. My head and eyes did not agree. The lesson on perspective surely helped here. The books also have some shape changes for perspective. One note about freezers: After she moved away from home, my daughter had a pet snake. Sometimes the pet stores did not have shipments of mice on time, so she kept a couple in her freezer, wrapped in foil. I only visited a few times, but was wary.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/29839-Cubes_table.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/29839-Cubes_Books.jpg

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Jayd-LOL,

If I can put in my 2 bits. :) I agree with Jayd.( I hate to stagnate the more advanced pupils.) But for me being a true newbie, fitting this in between work, the pace is challenging, but comfortable. I did all of the exercises and was going to wait for the next lesson, but I got inspired this morning and did the "shoe" and finally got the " cube revelation of the week". So, for whatever it's worth...(well, 2 bits apparently).
but whatever works for the crowd.... :wave:
gina

g7i7n7a
11-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Connie, :wave:
Your perseverance is paying off, your tables look great! :)
I had quite a struggle with just a stack of books, but breakthroughs came when I stuck with it. I' m learning this too. :(
Beautiful work!
blessings,
gina

JayD
11-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Gina--just keep in mind that the intend is to build on to the previous course. If we rush, we will stumble.

connie--Mice in the freezer--mouse-cicles!--connie, getting better and I like that you are doing these over and over again--the key is to keep practicing and soon it will be second nature. Good job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
11-12-2004, 11:06 PM
By the way, for you advanced-types--I just got in my Fairfax Identity Laboratory Slinkys today--YOU WILL BE DRAWING SLINKYS :evil:

BECAUSE

:music: EVERYONE LOVES A SLINKY! :music:

Judi1957
11-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Draw hundreds!!!????
OK so I'll start drawing more. Have not had a lot of time to devote classwise, I'm sure the nasty weather here in the Appalachian's will change that once it starts.

We are taking off for a 7 hour drive at 4 AM to see the grandkids. Excited :clap: :clap: :clap: . So, I will see what I can sketch in a moving car, surely have never tried that. But the highway's are smooth.

Gina.... still love that shoe..looks like the ones I like in the LL Bean.

Connie....nice tables!!!!

Michelle...nice chest!!!!

JayD...since you will keep with your schedule as set up...maybe I can catch up. I do not like being behind or late..that's just me.

Here are two cubes from tonite.
See ya all Sunday nite!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Judi

Cathie Jones
11-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Wow! Some of you guys are so good, it's embarassing to post my kindergarten stuff. But I said I would, and I trust JayD, Jet and everyone else who is offering advice, to help me to progress. I think it was Gina who mentioned fitting this in with work and other things - I agree that it's difficult to find time to draw and wouldn't want to go any faster than we are now. As it is, I'm not finding time to trace, re-draw and clean up my stuff - just getting the basics.

So, here are some cubes from a couple of days ago. I started working on the break room kitchen area today, but don't think it'll be finished before Monday.

Gina - I love that shoe! Judi - what can I say, you're sooooooo good!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/23460-cubes_111104.jpg

JayD
11-13-2004, 12:14 AM
Judi--I love the pink pearl eraser! Very good!

Hey CJ--perspective is a small norwegion dog, isn't--just keep practicing--it is getting better and better and just remember that you have a goal and that this will be worth it..

I think the real bear for me is the adding of the detail--I get so excited when I get the basics right and then I goof up my detail--I like the lettering that you did on the first aid kit. You have the tail end of the cube diverging when they should be eventually converging into a vanishing point. Otherwise, great job!

Jet
11-13-2004, 02:26 AM
Cathi,
this is the right thread for posting beginner's work, as you can see there are no works posted by the Pros on this forum, as doing so would defy the thread's purpose.

The Course is intended for beginners and neophytes, so it is actually expected that kind of works already...If everyone would post hi level drawings then the course's existence wouldn't be justified...

It's by watching works with that level of expertise here, what encourages JayD the most for keeping this Course going on.. :clap:

Keep 'em coming !!

Kind Regards

JayD
11-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I was going through the thread again and I CANNOT believe that I missed Sultry's ice cube. All of you should go and have a gander and Sultry:

I have a weekend assignment for you--NO--Gina has already done the biltmore. I would like you to arrange the ice cubes into a still life and some where in there also include the ice tray cube---don't worry about being perfect. Note that on her cube, she roughed her drawing then traced and corrected the perspective and then transferred it over to the "good" paper.

As far as tones goe, rest assured that we will be covering but first we need to learn to draw the objects before we engage in our first episode of "Dark Shadows". :D Tone, just like everything else in this world worth living for comes with practice, practice, practice. For those of you who have worked exclusively in color all these years, color can at times be a distractrion--we will be covering the subject of Grisaille, which some of you may find useful so just sit tight and onward ho with the objects.

Sultry, excellent job with this cube and I am so sorry that I let it pass me by. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb Leger
11-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Good saturday morning, everyone!

Sultry, your couch looks great! (I'm seeing cubes a lot, too. The other day while going to work, I was thinking how we live in a very square, or cubic, world! :D )

Gina, I love the shading in your shoe and the way you put that greyscale in there too.

Jay, like a few of the others, I get a bit behind, and don't often post enough sketches but I'm working at it. (Work just has this nasty way of getting in the way of drawing and painting, doesn't it?) But I'm enjoying the work we're doing on the basic shapes. (And perspective.) No one can ever go over the basics enough!

Michelle your sketch looks really nice. (I almost said your chest looks good but thought that might not sound too proper! :evil: ) I love how you describe your bedroom! I know that feeling!

Connie, you put me to shame! Twenty five drawings of the table! Wow, you're doing awesome! Sheesh! First parrots in the freezer and now mice! My freezer somehow seems so ........... safe.

I shudder to think of drawing a slinky! :wink2: It'll be some challenge!!!

Judi what a great hassock and eraser!!!

CJ, you have a dell just like mine! I recognized it right away from your sketch!

Okay Jay, an ice cube drawing coming up!

Deb

mhimeswc
11-13-2004, 10:13 AM
JayD, I noticed that no one has posted a drawing done from the photos that you posted in the beginning of this thread. I myself considered doing the one with the steeple, but I wasn't sure how to do it. Would I do it with the skewed perspective that the camera has when shooting a tall object looking up, or would I try to straighten it out.

If I did it the way the photo looks, would I be using 2 point or 3 point perspective??? (the verticals on the steeple appear to be converging to a vanishing point too)

If I straightened it out, would I be looking at it head-on, and so would it then be one point perspective viewed slightly from the right side? Or would it be two point, in which case what to do with the front of the building?

Too many questions, so I went looking for something easier, or at least easier to understand.

I'd still like to try that one, as well as a couple of other steeples that I found, if someone could just answer my perspective questions.

Michelle

JayD
11-13-2004, 10:31 AM
I was getting so sad that no one was doing the pictures--but was ecstatic that people were standing from their personal observation decks and OBSERVING and then applying those observations. I get so excited when this happens.

By strange coincidence, I just purchased a set of Rapidograph pens to play with and fished out my collection of Claudia Nice books--I opened one of the books randomly and wouldn't you know it--its a house that she had drawn from a photo in pen and ink.

What is the first thing she does?

She straightens out elements that are skewed by the photo. So yes, straighten it out--they say photos don't lie but when it comes to buildings they certainly exaggerate the truth. When you are working from photos you have to constantly keep an eye peeled for camera anonalies--it something does not look kosher in the photo--try changing it to suit YOU--you will be surprised how really good the human eye is. Cameras cannot make judgements and corrections like the eye can--the camera is limited to a confined field of vision whereas your eye--pardon the pun--is more well rounded.

JayD
11-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Sultry, how could I have missed the couch--that's a snuggling couch! :evil: Very comfortable--needs a faithful pet (no parrots) and a good book. You chose an interesting view point--straight on to the from of the couch would have ruined it. I like the folds in the drapery as well.

I have been going over everyone's drawings for this week and I want to post a couple of tips on the pencils:

1--keep your pencils sharpened for right now--do not draw with a dull pencil--this is one of the major problems with working with mechanical pencils is that they DO NOT need sharpening--EVER--which is a good thing except that you can be lulled into forgetting to sharpen when you don't have the ol mechanical handy.

2.--when drawing constantly keep your pencil tip rotating as you draw--you may need to practice on this but it will reduce your sharpening time and will present you with a constant crisp line.

3--keep you initial sketches light and restate the lines if necessary--no need at this stage to correct with an eraser--just restate the line and move from there. When you are satisfied then darken the good lines and then do your trace/transfer to the good paper.

4.--Lastly, the colored pencil people have it going right on when they declare that every drawing has an "ugly" stage--don't trash anything--just put it aside and move on then come back later and see if you can do anything with it.

You folks are an amazing group of artist. I want to single out Connie for the 25 tables--she's putting ME to shame so I had better get hustling. :D Great job everybody! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Subway
11-13-2004, 11:15 AM
This is from a picture in the WC image file. I drew it about a dozen times during meetings this week, finally sat down and tried to get something that does not look as sketchy as most of my work. One of the things I hope to get from this course is the discipline to move from a sketch to a more finished work, which is something I have rarely done.
You are right about the distortion of a photograph. I actually did an architectural type drawing with all the lines measured, and the buildings looked bent. I know my drawing could be better, but for a beginner like me, this feels like progress.

JayD
11-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Subway, glad to see you are here--check the front section of the church --the tower--does it seem like it is turning just a smidge out of alignment with the rest of the building? The drawing is really good--you have a light touch and such good control--all strong points.

sultry
11-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Thank you Jay for the new weekend homework.

I would of never of thought that an assignment from the teacher would make me happy but I am really learning and the challenge to do more is great practice.

The ice cube was fun and I thought the perspective I sketched the couch was what made the couch look inviting, I agree Jay that if I sketched it head on it would of made it look cold and uninviting.

Thanks for the C & C on the couch Judi & Deb :)

Gina that shoe looks 3d to me. Now save it for a painting to hang in a childs room. Great job :clap:

Michelle, I love the hope chest, I always thought hope chests slightly with the lid ajar and a nice pretty quilt flowing out would make a beautiful painting. You have a start there to do one and all you would need to do is save this, trace it to canvas and wa la new painting in progress. Great job :clap:

Connie, I just have to say that you have perseverance of a saint and I took a look of some of your work in past threads and I see some great progress in your tables. Also, you did a wonderful sketch of this weeks drawing. I like how your steps came out...Great job :clap: Everyone you should go see her steps.

Subway, I love the church and another great painting to do in a South West theme. Great job :clap:

CJ, I think your eye is starting to see more than you think. If you take a look at your past drawings you will see what I mean. Great job :clap:

Jet, You know I really owe you alot for that link thread it is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. *btw* Great job :clap: on the toaster & is that a fan on top of your roof?

Oh by the way Jay, I happened to take a look back at past threads and ran across your self portrait as a child thread.

It was so nice to read the whole thread and see everyones self portraits. It made me feel a part of the WC family that is here, just to view it. :)

I think it would be wonderful at the end of this class that all us class mates should join that thread ( or make a new one to add to it ) and do one of ourselves too.

ok, this novel is now closing (lol) on to my ice cubes & uh oh yeah tray...

JayD
11-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Sultry, I think that will make a good assignment when we come to portraits--that thread was a heck of a lot of fun--you see these artists in a whole new like (Zarathrustra and his little red tractor for example). If you all have not seen this thread go take a gander--it is worth the looksee and feel free to contribute one of your own.

I wait with great anticipation in seeing your ice cube still life and you ARE going to have to explain to me how you kept them from melting--ice cubes are like children--they don't sit still for long. :D

mothsailor
11-13-2004, 03:26 PM
I thought i'd have a go at at one of the photos. I found this was very hard...not sure why it was so difficult!

Thanks again to everyone for their various posts, which are so helpful. :clap:

mhimeswc
11-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Here is my sketch/drawing of the steeple that was in JayD's photos at the beginning of this class. Believe it or not, I put in about 4 hours on this. I got confused in a lot of places, but I think it's recognizable. I didn't want to go outside to photograph it (it's freezing out - we had some flurries last night) so I put it on my scanner even though it's a little too big, so some of the sides are lost. Also, the scanner made some of the lines on the right very light to almost invisible, but they are there.

I know I did not get the proportions and/or perspective exactly right, because there were places where I did not have enough space for the details, and places where I had too much space. :( But I wanted to give it a try, and I did. Comments and critiques are welcome, but I think I've about had it with this one.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Nov-2004/20035-steepledrawing.jpg

JayD
11-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Dave--you chose the tricky one--good choice--I chose this because the perspective has been distorted by the lens. That is why it seemed hard--you knew it should be one way but your eyes were telling you something else--again, very nicely handled. :clap: You gave the cubes a textural touch that I liked. How long did it take you to complete the cube?

Michelle the cubes are fine that you did in the drawing--I think you got tangled in adding the detail--we want to add the detail in by free hand and sometimes that can get tricky--just keep in mind that your detail must remain in perspective with the cubes. Still, you did a nice job. :clap:

mothsailor
11-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the comments Jay. I think it took about 30 minutes, but I wasn't really keeping track of the time.

g7i7n7a
11-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Jayd,
I did attempt the assignments at the beginning of the week, looked at that barn," piece of cake," I cockily told myself. NOT!!. this is as far as I got and it took quite awhile.
Trashing that, I jumped to the bricks and grandfather clock, after mapping out the bricks, I spent alot of time refining the candle holder, once I was happy with that, I remembered to check for a horizon, way off!! :crying: The grandfather clock was the most difficult part, so many cubes...time for the wine and the matches!!
It was the most frustrating week, so far, but I think also I have had the most growth.
Inspired by Connie, I am going to attempt them both again tomorrow. :)

gina

JayD
11-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey, you drew the drawing that I did of the barn-outstanding! It is good to see that you moved on to the others as well--I especially like the clock--do you think that it is difficult to think spatially? I do. I don't want to draw the cubes--I'd rather hurry it along but I find myself thinking more about the drawing process and I don't feel the need to rush through because the process has become as fun as the end piece. I can't wait to see what you are doing tomorrow. :clap: :)

g7i7n7a
11-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Jayd,
Yes, I am struggling with thinking spatially, I hope that is something that will develop. THe clock was hard, I guess because so many cubes relating to each other. That's encouraging to know that the process is as fun as the end piece. :)
gina

JayD
11-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Thinking spatially is like the difference between building a real live western and town and building one that is a movie set. The movie set is only the illusion build with two dimensional store fronts... I hope we all get to move beyond that point.

"yeah....yeah....teachero....but I don't want to do realism...I'm abstract dude...duuude."

Abstactolutely, dude--Look at works by the abstractionsist, the realist, by the photo realist, by the presbyterians (had to throw that one in :D )--their universes are self created yes.. but they are all spatial--they have the ability to see BEYOND the flatness and confining boundaries of the store front.

Deb Leger
11-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I've lost count of the cubes in this one! Even though the pencils are *technically* cylinders, for this one, I worked them as cubes. :D

Last night, I'd planned on finishing a painting. The time had been set aside, dishes done, boys occupied. I thought, "I'll just do a fast cube sketch to post first,though." As usual, once I started drawing, I just got lost in it. :D Ended up working about four hours on this.

Learned a lot though. I haven't worked with cross hatching before this class and am experimenting with it and loving it! I learned how to use it to make those pencils look rounded instead of flat. I also learned that it's time to make an appointment with the eye-doctor 'cause I'm needing stronger glasses for that close-up stuff! :eek: Looks like .... the b-word. (Bifocals.) :D

I first sat with my pencil box next to me and "saw" all the cubes in it. Bingo, I thought. Quick and easy. :rolleyes: The first sketch is what I saw looking down at it. When I got to this point, I knew it wasn't right perspectively. So, I got out a huge pad of cartridge paper and taped down a fresh sheet from my sketchbook in the lower corner to get the vp's. The third sketch is the finished one. The paper is a sheet torn from an 11 x 14 sketch book. It was too darned annoying to keep moving the big book around with that extra sheet for the vp's so I removed a sheet to do this.

I also attached a reference shot I took so you can see what exactly I was drawing. Shows the box of pencils that I'd never buy again - there's only a few types I use from it. :( (And I cheated! There were some other things in there, like a pencil sharpener, etc, that I took out so it'd be easier! :evil: )

First, the ref shot:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/11775-pencil_box_ref.JPG

Then the first sketch, without any rules applied:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/11775-pencil_box_first_sketch.JPG

Next is the shot showing the paper taped down to be able to reach the VP's:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/11775-pencil_box_vp_sheet.JPG

The finished drawing:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/11775-cube_2.jpg

L2isa2
11-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi JayD and Everyone ,

Wow some cool looing perspectivised objects here :D !!

Have been trying to get my head around Cubes all week!!

Still have trouble with perspective but I am still learning and getting there slowly I think some doodling pics included :confused:

What do you think of the Cubes I have tried to stack and do! no detail on them cause they are the neighbor's child's abc blocks :D

C7C Welcome for veryone :)

Regards
Lisa

mhimeswc
11-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi Deb, that's an interesting subject you drew there. Only 4 hours??? It would have taken me 4 days!

You did a good job on those angled corners on the pencil box. I get confused about things like that. Like, I was looking at a photo of a gazebo, and wondering how you would do that in perspective. All the items in the drawing look great too. The only thing that bothers me is the extreme perspective of the lid. I'm sure that you did it correctly with the vanishing points and all, but I don't think it would actually look like that in real life. I found when doing my drawings that I got extreme views like that because the vanishing points were too close, but my paper wasn't big enough - even with adding an extra piece. Is that what you ran into also? Your first drawing, even though not perspectively correct, is more like what it I would expect it to look like.

Oh, BTW, great job on cross-hatching. I haven't gotten into that yet, but want to learn how to do it.

Michelle

bjcpaints
11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone. I'm still here - just incredibly busy as I know most of us are. WOW - great drawings everyone!!! I am plugging away and happy that I can participate even if only marginally. Here are my submissions for this week. Don't know if I will get to weekend homework; have 2 craft shows next weekend. Here is the kite scene - revised but without detail yet, then the industrial park scene with stacks of wooden pallets, and my humble office. Apologies that one of my cats sat on these as cats are wont to sit on papers.
I will look in my freezer again - I do have ice cubes in trays but I was worried I might be wierd because I have no boxed items; only bags of frozen veggies. OK I should just admit it - I am wierd.
Barbara

JayD
11-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Deb, I have to say that this is a disturbingly NEAT pencil box. You must be extremely organized. I am glad that you did this piece (and I am sorry about your painting) but it illustrates the cube, the cube in perspective, and the objects or detail that occupy the cube--and cylinders which we are covering in the next lesson. In light of the fact that you have missed out on a painting and since you are taking this course to hone your drawing skills in order to enhance your already proficient painting skills--I would urge you to consider doing this as a painting.

Michelle--draw the gazebo. You can do it. We will all help-just get something on paper--a tip--keep your eye out for cylinders--notice also that deb FIRST did an "out of perspective drawing"--kind of like a guidline to tell here where things when--then she converted into perspective so:

1. Freehand your gazebo

2. Identify and break down the gazebo into its core elements (geometric shapes)

3. Redraw the gazebo and adjust for perspective

4. Transfer, once you are satisfied, your work onto your "good paper"

Lisa, actually they ALL look very good--I especially like the blocks and the way you have them stacked. I am also struck by the texture of the blocks--very nice--the tower in your church is a bit off with the rest of the building so you might want to check on that but I love the (school?) building with the receding wall. I can see the work that you have put into these studies. I would consider developing the blocks into a painting. They look very interesting.

JayD
11-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Hey, Barb--we all get busy so just work at your own pace. I would like you to work on this piece for a bit--from the forward angle I would say that you are doing this in one point perspective. I would take this drawing and locate your horizan lines and vanishing points and try to correct your perspective a bit--but you have a very strong point of view here in this piece and I would urge you to continue to develop it. Good work?

What craft shows are you attending? My wife works for one of the companies that sets up and manages craft shows.

bjcpaints
11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Oh Hi JayD - I'm glad I checked back here. Just posted a wolf WIP in Animal and Acrylics forums. I am doing 15 craft shows this year selling painted rocks as animals. I have only been painting for 2 /2 years so I only do small shows- churches, schools, VFW, etc. It has gotten me quite a few per commissions which is great! Which drawing did you mean for me to develop ?? - the kite scene I hope as that is the one I want to paint (had started it on canvas but, well you can see my perspective problem and why I am here now...) I am struggling to move to the flat surface so even though the wolf is on granite, at least it is flat - so I am proud that I have achieved at least this much.
Barbara

JayD
11-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Actually, I would like to see you develop the room with the computer--it would be a good practice in perspective for you because the kite painting strikes me as a decorative piece (like the rocks) and I would like to see you go against type but now that you mention it, I think you may have posted the reference for the kite scene--would you mind reposting it? I want to look at it. Lastly, the style for the kite is Japanese as I seem to recall so I would not just look a the one reference but would look at other prints just to get a feel for the style of pinting. I like the scene but I need to see the reference again--if you have posted it, please excuse me and point me in the right direction. :)

Fireman's kid
11-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi everyone!

Someone posted the question asking whether or not we still had the full class participating. I wanted to let you know that I am still here even though I haven't done any work yet on this week's lesson.

I finally recovered from my cold or infection or whatever it was, but then this week I had to dig out from the chores I didn't get to when I was sick. We had a few friends over last night so spent the better part of two days cleaning the house as it had been awhile. :o My last excuse is that I need to finish my commission painting by Dec. 5th so I have been trying to paint before I allow myself to do the more fun stuff - these class assignments.

Not to worry though. I'll catch up. And I did finally finish my pre-class assignment! Yay! But I want to install Photoshop before I post it so I can scan it at a reasonible dpi and try to get a clear picture of it.

So there are my excuses. I'm saving "My dog ate my homework." until later. ;) But I'm still here reading along. Everyone's work is so impressive and improving so much that I won't be able to let myself be behind for long. :D

Now I'm off to paint for an hour or so before heading off to my in-laws for an early Thanksgiving dinner. Let the gluttony begin!

JayD
11-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey, Fireman's Kid--glad you are still among the living--just work and you own pace and post when you can--get well first. :)

Deb Leger
11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Michelle, I eyeballed those corners! :D No way was I going to try and figure out the perspective for *that*! Yes, that perspective thing about my paper not being big enough is something I ran into. To me, at first, it kept bothering me that the view I was drawing was not what I was seeing and I wanted to ask Jay about it. I used the biggest sheet of paper I had but was pretty leery of taping another sheet or two beside that one. (Due to the fact that I wouldn't have had a table big enough to draw on!! :D ) But it did bother me that it wasn't really what I was seeing!

Lisa, your buildings and cubes are great.

Barbara, your kite drawing shows lots of improvement! Very nice!

Deb

Deb Leger
11-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Deb, I have to say that this is a disturbingly NEAT pencil box. You must be extremely organized. I am glad that you did this piece (and I am sorry about your painting) but it illustrates the cube, the cube in perspective, and the objects or detail that occupy the cube--and cylinders which we are covering in the next lesson. In light of the fact that you have missed out on a painting and since you are taking this course to hone your drawing skills in order to enhance your already proficient painting skills--I would urge you to consider doing this as a painting.

Jay, if I had posted a pic of the box as it usually looks, you'd have said it was a disturbingly messy pencil box and then you might have been tempted to gather little good luck charms all 'round you when you read any postings from me in the future. Trust me! :evil: I usually have to shake the thing around so the contents shift to allow it to close. There's a box of vine charcoal, chunks of charcoal, more tortillions and a couple of unused kohl pencils. You think I should do this as a painting??? Hmmmmm, that'll be an exercise in itself - summoning up the inspiration to paint that! :D :D :D Just kidding.

I've always got paintings on the go. Currently, the one I'm trying to finish is one for my youngest son, who has a junior black belt in karate. The painting is one of those gates from the movie, The Last Samurai. The gates that appeared in the dvd info part. Or whatever you call it. I ought to try re-doing it using perspective!

Deb

JayD
11-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Deb, you raise an interesting point. This is art NOT architecture so perspective is just a McGyver roll of duct tape and here is where it becomes art--YOU ARE ALLOWED TO FUDGE. Perspective just helps you with the tweaking process. Remember that perspective is just a tool and not a rule. :)

JayD
11-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Deb, I would believe you about the messy box but you set it on your carpet! YOU"RE a neatnik :D

Deb Leger
11-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Deb, I would believe you about the messy box but you set it on your carpet! YOU"RE a neatnik :D

It was on the couch! :p And that's 'cause I wouldn't dare post a pic of my painting table until it's cleaned up! :D

JayD
11-14-2004, 05:53 PM
AHA!!! Your couch is SO neat and clean that I thought ti was the carpet!!! :D

mhimeswc
11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Yes, that perspective thing about my paper not being big enough is something I ran into. To me, at first, it kept bothering me that the view I was drawing was not what I was seeing and I wanted to ask Jay about it. I used the biggest sheet of paper I had but was pretty leery of taping another sheet or two beside that one. (Due to the fact that I wouldn't have had a table big enough to draw on!! :D ) But it did bother me that it wasn't really what I was seeing!

Deb

That's the problem I've been having right from the beginning. I can draw something in correct perspective for some "imaginary" view, but I can't draw it from the view I'm seeing. I can't do it freehand because my perspective is always WAY off, and I can't draw it with the eye level/vp lines because my paper isn't big enough. That's why I wanted to clean off my table the other day and push the box away from me, not to change my eye level (I know that doesn't change) but to make the box smaller so I wasn't drawing it so big. This is a real problem for me. I just don't get it. JayD says it's only a tool, but it's a tool I don't know how to use except for an imaginary exercise.

In my painting classes, our still life often had a bread board. I just couldn't draw that *@#&*!^#* board correctly. It always looked like it was standing on end. But when my teacher drew it lightly for me with perspective lines, there was no room for all the fruit that was on it in the still life. (I don't think he can draw in perspective either). I get really frustrated, because I think I understand the concept, but I don't know how to apply it. I think I can draw boxes, and chests, and blocks, and whatever with the perspective lines for a year, and still won't know how to draw what I'm actually seeing.

Michelle

JayD
11-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Michelle, I know this will take time but can you set up a stil life for us with a breadboard and the fruit--then photograph it and then start your drawing--let's all take a look and see if we can make it work. Let's see if, as a class, we can help. Just continue to post it to this thread. :)

Cathie Jones
11-14-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't think I've finished any drawings this week, but have started so many! Here are two more. The brick ledge won't be finished - out of time for that exercise. The other will be a red phone booth I photo'd in Holsworthy, England in Sept. I want to paint it, so this is just a preliminary drawing. I started it first with perspective and a ruler, and it was awful, so I free-handed it this time and then started correcting the perspective.

I'm painting today (and boy have I missed it!), so this will be it for this lesson. I seem to remember that the next lesson still involves putting things in boxes. Hope so - I like it!

JayD
11-14-2004, 07:21 PM
The fact that we are doing the practice is enough--if you do not finish--don't sweat it--come back to it when it suits you--just don't stop.

When you are working on a drawing and you hit a rough spot you can pull out the pdf's of these lessons and just go over that particular area that is giving you the problem

We are not putting objects in boxes next week per se but I will give you a special assignment for next week if you are up to it.

I want you to create a tool box--it can be any width or depth that you choose. The handle must be a cylinder that connects from one end to the other. Put into the tool box your favorite tools.

Anybody else that wants to do this excercise please feel free to take this on.

g7i7n7a
11-14-2004, 08:48 PM
hi everyone,

pencil case-wow!

4 hrs???-wow,w0w!!

gina

ps tool box...i have a note from my mother... :evil:

mhimeswc
11-14-2004, 08:48 PM
JayD,
Here are a few paintings I did with the breadboard. I am no longer taking the class (no money for tuition) and I don't own a breadboard, but I think you'll get the idea. These are actually pretty good - I must have thrown the really bad ones out. I think what saved me on these is that you can't actually see the back side of the board because it's hidden behind the food.

Michelle H.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/20035-breadboard4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/20035-breadboard3.jpg

g7i7n7a
11-14-2004, 08:49 PM
oops,

mhimeswc
11-14-2004, 08:52 PM
And here's the gazebo I mentioned. This is a plein air I did on a dreary day last year - no sun, no shadows. I had no clue how to get the correct perspective on this. I did try to use the spaces between the posts to place the back of the railing.

Michelle H.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2004/20035-gazebo.jpg

JayD
11-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Ack!!! You guys are kickin'!

Michelle: Your breadboard is not exactly the problem--the board is in two point perspective and it seems to be working fine--remember it does not have to be pin point perfect--but your bottle is a bit wavy and off a bit--look at the beautify tea kettle and compare--I think you can benefit with this piece from the next class which is on cylinders. I would like tyou set this up and apply the cylinders lesson to the bottle. I am thinking that the bottle throws off an otherwise perfect painting.

Your instructor was impressive by the way--these are beautiful.

Regarding the Gazebo--here is what a will say--remember my saying that sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. Well this is just a cigar. I am not sure that the persective really would have any kind of significant impact in this enclosed area. It looks like the Gazebo is of a kind of "back to nature" construction which gives the whole thing a kind of primitive look--which is a good thing.

If I were going to fool around with the perspective on this I would, as you have indicated, focus on the gazebo--Again, this is NOT a cube but is a cylinder so it would be a good idea to do two things--read the Gavin Banns guest lecture on the ellipse and its applications in perspective and again the lesson that will be posted this evening on Cylinders.

So I would do a trace drawing of the painting so that you can play around iwth it and then transfer it on some practice paper. This is an instance where tracing is the method of choice--make sure yoiu transfer your foreground, middle ground (where the gazebo lives) and the background. Take your gazebo and create around it a cylinder--creating the ellipses may help you put this piece into the correct perspective.

Gina: Mother's note is ok as long as you don't tell me a dog ate your homework. :D

JayD
11-14-2004, 09:17 PM
Gina: I just noticed the barn--looks great and I love the lettering and the Apple--is this where they grow Ipods? :D

Seriously, it looks like you spotted all the cubes--good job.

When we move on to cylinders, don't forget the lesson about cubes being all sizes and widths. The same will hold true for cylinders.

idcrisis55
11-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Just popping in to say I'm still here just haven't gotten any drawing done this week. I got a chance last night to see a couple of pages of posts and will try to see the rest of the pics and read all the posts tomorrow. Everyone is working so hard and doing really well.

I'll do my best to get some drawing done this week and catch up Jay.

Ann

Judi1957
11-14-2004, 09:47 PM
JayD & Classmates,

Deb, Me thinks JayD is right...you're a neatnik and I think you washed AND shined your tin! :D Really great drawing, impressive! :clap:

Lisa, Love the textured ABC blocks! :clap:

Barb, Computer perspective is looking good!! :clap: A lot going on there, good practice, We should all do our workstations, then we could clean them up like Deb :evil:

Stacy, Glad you're back and feeling better!!!! :wave:

Cathi, The bricks and booth are great too!! :clap:

Michelle, You are a very talented artist!!! I especially like the white porcelain pitcher!! :clap:

Gina, Great barn. Wind vane is a nice touch! :clap:

Whew...that was a lot to review, looks like everyone was really busy this weekend!!!
I thought I would draw the whole way to Tazewell. Slept thru half of it, Drew for a while, but it was just so beautiful out. Did get some great photographs- scenery, some pics for upcoming cylinder class and some really great pics of the grandkids!!! Had a great time.

Anyway, here's some (not too much- :crying: ) of the work I did on the road. File cabinet and overhead door operator. Drew these at 70 MPH-lol. Actually was not as easy as I thought it would be, drawing in a moving car, a standard no less! I have to finish the other...sorry JayD, it was just so-o-o-o-o nice out!

Judi

JayD
11-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Ann--we missed our resident Okie. Will be looking for you :)

Judi--you know that cars are cubes :evil: If I had known you had gone out to play, I would have suggested that you look for cubes outdoors--so far we have limited ourselves to the indoors--well excluding barns and buildings and such but what about nature--are there cubes to be found there.

Well, no matter--we will all be drawing outdoors later on. Hurry back to us-we miss you. :wave:

JayD
11-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Hey, has anybody seen Jet? He's been sorta scarce?

mhimeswc
11-14-2004, 10:18 PM
You are right about the bottle, JayD. I have trouble with cylinders too. :-)
But it was the breadboards, books, and things in 2 point perspective that really drove me nuts. And I wish I had saved the ones I did with the checkered tablecloth. (Sigh!).

I never thought of the gazebo as a cylinder. I guess that's why I couldn't figure out how to get the perspective right. So I just eyeballed it and hoped for the best.

I miss that class - although I didn't really get much instruction on the drawing part. In fact, I can still hear our instructor telling me "Get some paint on the paper, this is a painting class, not a drawing class". I couldn't start painting until I was happy with the drawing, and the class was only 3 hours long. Next week there was always a new still life (with a new perspective problem) waiting for us.

I look forward to learning how to do bottles, gazebos and anything else you care to help me with.

Michelle

Judi1957
11-14-2004, 10:19 PM
I was going to mention the Car Cubes were going too fast!

I did do combination cube/reflection/perspective while looking at the road. Needs fine tuned before I post it. I would be embassased to post it today.
May be even embarrased when I post it....

Judi

JayD
11-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Michelle: I was surprised to hear that a painting instructor would downplay the importance of drawing--its the blueprint--oh well--I think you were right to try to get the drawing correct--look at the masters--they started this whole drawing before painting mess, right?

Judi, I can't wait to see your post. :evil:

Cathie Jones
11-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Great apple barn - and the paintings are excellent. I would not disturb that breadboard painting for anything - it's a masterpiece. Perspective is not always necessary.

The painting I did today is posted here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230373 . Wanna see?

About that tool box - I have a note from gina's mom, too!! :D

g7i7n7a
11-15-2004, 12:27 AM
wasn't that Jet running past the window??? :eek:

Cathie, lol, lovely painting, that would make a great christmas card.!!

Judi- glad your back :wave:

gina

mhimeswc
11-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks, Cathie. I like your Christmas card painting. Your little cardinal looks cold - brrrrrr...

Michelle

Jet
11-15-2004, 01:46 AM
wasn't that Jet running past the window??? :eek:
gina
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/27782-bcomputer.gif....Hi Gina.... ;)

I miss that class - although I didn't really get much instruction on the drawing part. In fact, I can still hear our instructor telling me "Get some paint on the paper, this is a painting class, not a drawing class". I couldn't start painting until I was happy with the drawing, and the class was only 3 hours long.
Michelle
Michelle: I was surprised to hear that a painting instructor would downplay the importance of drawing--its the blueprint--oh well--I think you were right to try to get the drawing correct--look at the masters--they started this whole drawing before painting mess, right?

I am not surprised at all; Actually, I have read this same comment, far too many times, at the 'painting' forums right here at Wet Canvas -from several 'serious' 'artists'-....

I guess it's a rationalization routine for not feeling the guilt of being unwilling (not unable) to learning how to draw, and (to a certain point) it's understandable when coming from newbies and/or art neophytes, but really gets to clynical levels when coming from an art instructor...
Nevertheless, it must be painful having to 'invent' this 'new knowledge' (false notions) for covering up the fact of not being a 'whole' artist..I feel sorry for them ! :(

I would like to quote some real artists -I happen to admire very much- :

"Don't call him an artist... untill you see him draw". (Alfred L. Jones)
_______
Drawing is the artist's most direct and spontaneous expression, a species of writing: it reveals, better than does painting, his true personality. (Edgar Degas)
_______
Let whoever may have attained to so much as to have the power of drawing know that he holds a great treasure. (Michelangelo)
_______
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut....
.... and still think they are beautiful !! :D (????)

Don't worry Michelle, you're doing what's right and you are succeeding at it... :clap:

Kind Regards

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Thanks Jay :), this resident Okie has missed being here too lol. I have appointments this morning but I'm taking my drawing things with me this time lol.

So I'll be looking at all the work and rereading the class assignment to get started and oh yes, still have to check out this week's new assignment.

Hi Everyone!

bjcpaints
11-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Actually, I would like to see you develop the room with the computer--it would be a good practice in perspective for you because the kite painting strikes me as a decorative piece (like the rocks) and I would like to see you go against type but now that you mention it, I think you may have posted the reference for the kite scene--would you mind reposting it? I want to look at it. Lastly, the style for the kite is Japanese as I seem to recall so I would not just look a the one reference but would look at other prints just to get a feel for the style of pinting. I like the scene but I need to see the reference again--if you have posted it, please excuse me and point me in the right direction. :)

Well, the office is where I am chained to my desk so it is the easiest drawing for me to work on. I did not post the original ref pic and now I have strayed so far from it that I should put it aside myself. At this point I would have to paint over the whole canvas that I started anyway. I would rather move on with the lessons here. Did not have time for weekend homework - ice cubes. I will forge ahead and check this weeks lessons.
Everyone here is doing great! Glad we are sticking through this together! Big hugs to all! :cat:
Barbara

JayD
11-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Barb, look at the class 4 projects--there is a martini glass with some ice cubes that you can draw that would be perfect for you--you can get your cubes and cylinders in all in one class. :)

Subway
11-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Thank you, Jay. You are right, the bell tower is slightly out of alingment. I could see it as soon as you pointed it out. I think that the line should have been parallel to the front of the 2 attached buildings.

I like the pace you have set and vote for you to stick to your original schedule.

I practice a lot during meetings, just haven't shared as many drawings as I have actually done since most of them are in the margins of my notes. I think of them as sophisticated doodles. Will check in with the next lesson soon.

THANK YOU!

JayD
11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Subway, Thank you! You just made my day! :)

bjcpaints
11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Barb, look at the class 4 projects--there is a martini glass with some ice cubes that you can draw that would be perfect for you--you can get your cubes and cylinders in all in one class. :)

I love it - now if you would include the booze I'd be all set!
Shaken, not stirred.
Barbara
ps Its a Monday from He_ _ double hockeysticks today and I could use a refreshing beverage.

Blah
11-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Jay & Class, I've been having terrible problems through last week with my internet connection. On and off I have managed to read some of the posts and look at a few of the drawings. Couldn't participate because the connectivity was so bad.

Anyhow, here is my 3 week's assignment and I hope to be an active part of the class this week. The scan came out much lighter than the actual drawing.....so I 've done a gamma correction.

Blah

Subway
11-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Blah- terrific detail and perspective, particularly with the floor and the lattice work. Did you do this free hand, or use a ruler? Well done!

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Blah, that is a really good drawing. I've been looking at all the work for the past week and feeling very intimidated lol. Feel like I need to start from the beginning and work my way forward again.

Ann

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Attached are the sketches I did while waiting for my appointment. They are done in ink, and have not done the perspective on them. Now I am looking around for cubes in my room :D

JayD
11-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Blah, Welcome back--we missed you--I like the patio--very cubic--where is this? I looks very secluded and restful?

Ann--very nice free sketches--these are ones that when you get a chance--take bac to your studio space and try to rework with corrective perspective and the like. Very nice. :clap:

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks Jay D. I am reading Chapter 3 again and your class assignment. I am wondering if any of this is really sinking in because everytime I think about putting a cube around the drawn object, I panic lol. So I'll just have to take a deep breathe and dive in.

Later,

JayD
11-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Hey, Ann--just remember that cubes don't go around everything--look a the shape and decide what geometric object or objects make up that shape--I think your work is coming along fine--just keep practicing--that is the key. :)

idcrisis55
11-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Jay, it was needed :). Attached is the rework of the chair and the cylindrical table. I did the chair small because of drawing the perspective lines. Hope you can see it ok. Closeups included. I'm not sure I have the perspective correct on it but tried to look at each section of the chair as though it fit in a box.

JayD
11-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Whoa! What a change! keep this up--this is looking real good--do you see and feel the difference? Also, go ahead and post your cylinder in class 4--it is a good example. :clap:

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Okay and thanks Jay. I will post in Class 4.

Ann

JayD
11-16-2004, 10:25 AM
excellent! Thanks, Ann!

bjcpaints
11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi Blah - glad you are back. Nice drawing!
Ann, I am there with you - we just need to keep hitting it! Practice, practice, practice.
Barbara

JayD
11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Practice...Practice....Practice... :clap:

idcrisis55
11-16-2004, 12:32 PM
It is great to have company Barbara so maybe we will get there encouraging each other :D. You and Jay are soooo right, "practice, practice, practice".

Blah
11-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Subway, Ann, Jay and Barbara.....thank you for looking at my drawing and commenting.

Subway...it is entirely a free hand drawing and, because the vanishing points are well outside the picture I just visualised a location in my mind on either side of the drawing pad and tried to vanish my lines to those points. If the objective had been to produce a very correct perspective drawing (as against a drawing in which the perspective is reasonably accurate) I would have done it differently and probably used a ruler.

Ann, your sketches are very nice...which is the main thing. Perspective is just a tool, in fact one of several, to help make the sketch more realistic. Incidentally both your chair and the cylinder are in proper perspective.

Jay...I have drawn one of the balconies in my house. I live by the sea and have a view of the Bay of Bengal, and yes...it is a very airy, secluded, and restful place in a noisy, dusty, crowded city.

Barbara, its nice to be welcomed back :D I was very disappointed and frustrated the last few days and missed the class very much and I am glad to be back now.

Blah

sultry
11-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Wow, everyone has done great and already are on class 4.

I am on my way to do the excercises and hopefully catch up.

Jay sorry I am so late on this but I did get hit by the flu all week and not able to even get out of a bed most of the week. :(
Not to sure this is what you meant by a still life with the ice cube tray and cubes but here is something I did from memory because I could not get out of bed to set up the still life.

Better late then never here is my homework assignment.

JayD
11-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Well I actually meant the ice cubes BUT this is just as good BECAUSE you have a good variety of objects and you did this from memory. You also knocked off a cylinder, I see. good job--when you move on to the cylinders use this drawing and see if there is any way you can improve on the cylindrical shape.

Excellent work and I am sorry you are laid up in bed. I am sick with a chest cold myself and I cannot talk (much to my family's relief :D ) so I am trying to rest up a bit as well so take care. :)

idcrisis55
11-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Sultry, cool being able to see the egg carton through the glass. You caught the shape of the glass very well I would say.

I do hope you are on the mend and feeling much better.

Jay, I'm sorry to hear you are with a cold as well and hope you begin feeling better soon too. Is there such a thing as internet cold and flu and if it flew via the Net from Connecticut to NC :D

Ann

JayD
11-20-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't know Ann but almost everyone I know seems to be down with it--so word to the wise--stay out of High Point!

Blah
11-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Sultry, I don't think that is what Jay intended, but it is a very cool drawing :)
I like it a lot.

Hope you get well soon. You too, Jay.

Blah

JayD
11-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Not exactly but sometimes the happy accidents will occurr. :)

Fireman's kid
11-21-2004, 03:05 PM
Here is a drawing I did this week since I didn't manage any cube drawings last week. I did this in the car while my kids were napping. Had to pick something I could do relatively quickly as I knew they wouldn't stay asleep for long. :D Also it was a good excuse not to draw the more difficult stuff like cars and houses. :p Maybe when I have more time...maybe not.

Anyway, here is my "certs" cube.

Ottersong
12-08-2004, 02:52 AM
JayD, I spent a total of approxamately 2 1/2 hours on this drawing,(very fast foor me). I used the extra paper taped on to find the vanishing point. That was the first time I ever did that. Good grief, I am going to nee a roll of shelf paper for some things and roll it half way across the room,LOL. where am I going to find a T square that long????? Maybe a long piece of thin wood? It took a 24" T square to reach the point,phew. I am still not happy with the roof angles. What do I need to know to find them correctly?

If I were out on location doing a building how would I find the correct angle? Just eyeball it? If I am able this summer to go out on location I would like to draw/paint some of the historical buildings in our area and I don't want them to look dorky. Your comments greatly appreciated.

Otter

idcrisis55
12-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Otter, I enjoyed looking at your perspective drawings. Nice quick sketch in the first one and really liked the texture and shading in the second one.

Isn't it amazing how long the VP can be. A roll of butcher paper would be a good thing to have in stock lol. I'll be looking with interest Jay's reply to you on getting the angles and perspective while working on location.

One question, I noticed you made the walls flush with the roof line except for the very top portion and that the roof did not extend past the edge of the walls and was wondering if this is drawn from a photo or from real life?

Ottersong
12-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Ann, I was using JayD's pix at the beginning of the thread. He did not put in the overlap of the roof so I didn't either. Made it look a little funny to me but that is ok, I was more concerned with the angles.

Otter

sultry
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Otter,

I too would like to compliment your building, it looks so good. :)

I wonder what Jay will say to your question but I have used a pencil to eye ball the lines when looking at a subject. Then I will try to draw the lines on my paper. Hey, there may be an easier way, will wait and see what Jay has to say.

JayD
12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Otter, locate ALL the boxes(cubes)--if you go back to the lesson, I mentioned more cubes then are obvious. Your perspective on the back part fo the building if off--do you see it? See if you can locate ALL of the cubes first then replot your perspective. I will be back later and take another look.

Sultry--eyeball it huh? Sometimes that is what you have to do. Speaking of eyeballs, I am plotting an idea for a selfportrait so when I went to the eye doctor today (had to get fitted for prescription reading glasses), I asked him to photograph (he has a new toy to play with) my ACTUAL eyeballs and I will see if I can work those in somewhere--problem is that the photos look rather like the planet Mars with the blood veins running everywhere. :D

idcrisis55
12-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi Otter, thanks for pointing me towards Jay's pic. Now I understand why you drew it the way you did. Glad he popped in for a few minutes to help you.

sultry
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Sultry--eyeball it huh? Sometimes that is what you have to do. Speaking of eyeballs, I am plotting an idea for a selfportrait so when I went to the eye doctor today (had to get fitted for prescription reading glasses), I asked him to photograph (he has a new toy to play with) my ACTUAL eyeballs and I will see if I can work those in somewhere--problem is that the photos look rather like the planet Mars with the blood veins running everywhere. :D
LOL, should be interesting to see this masterpiece Jay....can't wait. :D

Ottersong
12-09-2004, 04:58 PM
JayD, :clap: GOT IT,GOT IT !!!!! thank you so much. I grumbled and grumbled, that is until I got out the straight edge and checked ALL of the angles. Wonder why I didn't do that before? It has been many many years since I had mechanical drawing where we were taught to do that with the isometric drawings. You can still see where I changed the roof angles, I want them to stay so that at a later date I will know what I did wrong. Even the center of the ends of the buildings moved when I straightened the angles but the windows are so dark I couldn't completely erease them. Even the angles on the top and bottom of the windows changed. Your suggestons much appreciated.

Looks like I am going to have to use printer paper so that I can move it and my straight edge around. The sketch book is lovely paper but the spiral binding really gets in the way. In using printer paper I can punch holes for a notebook and put the lesson print out as well as any photos with the finished lesson as well as any critiques. Duhhhh should have done that to begin with.

Still not sure how to figure the first roof angles other than to eyeball it.

Otter

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Dec-2004/37889-Drawing__lesson_3_cube_farm_building002.jpg

jmfletch
12-13-2004, 08:27 PM
Been working on lesson 3, trying to see cubes everywhere, and of course practise, practise, practise..

Attached are some of the various cubes I saw in class today while I was substitute teaching. I am also attaching my version of the barn and the clock as well as some doodles.

While working on the barn I did not have the luxury of space to extend the vp's, so I experimented and I think it worked. I drew a small barn with vp's on the page, then I enlarged it.

Joe

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey Joe, :wave:

I saw your post so I thought I'd drop by and see you.

It is so funny how when you start this lesson, the world is so full of cubes. :D

You are doing very well! Nice job!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: You can add a piece of paper on the side to extend the area to get your vp's.
You'll catch up with the rest of us in no time! Glad to have you aboard.

Otter, You certainly did get it!!! :clap: :clap:

jmfletch
12-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Judi1957 - Thanks looking and the kind words.

I didn't have room to lay out more paper at the time which is why I tried the experiment and I think it worked fairly well.

Joe

Judi1957
12-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Joe,
You are welcome. :D
Just call me Judi. I am sorry I put the year in...

jmfletch
12-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Have to ask...What is the significance of 1957? Besides a good year for Chevy :D

Joe

JayD
12-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Otter, Great JOB--I can see where you made the corrections--mine threw people off because of the cube thing and because my drawing was quickly sketched in colored pencil and graphite. excellent work!

JayD
12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Joe, that makes perfect sense--you did a small mock barn and upscaled it to a larger size. that never occurred to me--just shows there is more then one way to skin a barn. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jmfletch
12-13-2004, 09:35 PM
JayD - Cannot express enough how much I appreciate the time and effort you are giving to all of us out here in WC land. I don't know the ratio for sure but there are probably at least as many lurkers as active participants. And you are helping us all become better artists!!!!
Thanks!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

JayD
12-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Glad to oblige--I try my best to keep up with these classes but I shudder to see how I will handle it when 40 of these threads start popping up! :D Actually, that is one of the reasons that we have the substitute teacher system in place now--to help 101ers learn and to keep me sane! :D

Ottersong
12-17-2004, 01:12 AM
OOPS, I just posted my dice drawing to the class 2 thread, should I re-do it here or leave it there? this is the season for confusion for me.

Otter

vasilkadifeli
12-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Couldn't read the whole thread yet, but I did some quick sketches/drawings, without paying so much attention to perspective :rolleyes:...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-eraser.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-mouse.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-swiss_army_knife.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-old_radio.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-speakers.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-spray_bottle.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-a_tape_meter.jpg

vasilkadifeli
12-17-2004, 01:58 AM
And here are quick drawings from the three example photos of this thread :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-exercise_1.jpg

and the details

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-exercise_1a.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-exercise_1b.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-exercise_1c.jpg

vasilkadifeli
12-17-2004, 02:25 AM
and a quick drawing of some stuff with perspective based on the first drawing example of the lesson :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/32140-exercise_2.jpg

PS. in this drawing there are three vanishing points : VP1 at the left, VP2 at the right, and there is another one, VP3, which must be somewhere outside the right boundary of the paper, but I guess I had to put it closer to VP2...

sultry
12-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Hiyas everyone in class 3, :wave:

Okay since I am one of Jays subbies I will be C & C on your work and I may say things that may make me look like the mean subbie.

If I offend any of you it is not to pick on you but to only help you see what is needed to make make you a better artist.

Vasil shame on you (lol) you must apply what you learned in class 2 to your above drawings.

You have the shading done well for the cubes but you have done such beautiful work in class 2 with your kitchen and we need to see that work here too. See I saw what you can do. :)

The object of these classes is to put our best in each assignment so when we are C & C we will be able to see what is needed and then learn from it.

You said yourself, done with no perspective. How can we help you if you know what is needed already?

Okay, Vasil now that last drawing is more like it :clap:

Otter I checked your dice and you have foreshortened the circles and shading on the cube looks good.

We will see what Jay has to say, since he is very busy, it may be good to repost them here so he can keep track easier with the classes also.

Joe I see Jay has C & C on your work and Judi has too, I will just say I agree with them.

Ottersong
12-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks sults, I will re-post the dice here. I sweated blood for two weeks over thse guys but finally finished them. The spots are incorrect but as close as I can get them. I did them small so it would be easier on my hands and then enlarged tham when I scanned them, yuk, now all of the bad places show up. Won't do that again. They actually looked better when I freehanded them than after I got a great big piece of paper and located the vanishing points, now they look wierd, oh well.

Otter
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2004/37889-DRAWINFCLASS2_DICE__001.jpg

sultry
12-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Otter you did better than I could, I did not even attempt to sketch them. Maybe I should ( I know it would be good practice for me).

I moved from Vegas to Ct so I am used to seeing these guys. lol

Not because I gambled ( I hate gambling) only because when we visited a casino we bought the dice as souviners.

Anyways, if you feel they do not look right to you, guess what you have more classes to learn from and you may just try doing them again.

but this class is doing well and it great to see that :)

By the way is there more than 3 of you in this class?

I see only you ; Vasil & Joe. If I missed anyone please forgive me.

Ottersong
12-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Well Sultry, as far as I am concerned I would never voluntarily choose to draw dice in the position of these dice. As a lesson it was a very difficult one to get them anywhere near correct, I almost binned the whole thing and said phooey on drawing lessons, my brain is too old and tired for this much thought. But I kept on even though the @#$%^&**** things even got into my dreams. If I were to get the ovals of the spots correct I would have to draw them much larger than I did and I just don't feel like doing it over again. Besides, they looked much better when I just eyeballed tham even though the VP's were slightly off, sorry I corrected the original so much so that I can't show you. Looking forward to proceeding with the next lesson, hope to post it soon. I would like to get back to doing the WDE every week.

Otter

jmfletch
12-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Sultry
I think we are the stragglers. We joined on late and are weeks behind your main group.

joe

sultry
12-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Joe,
Well its great to have you on. :) I think more have joined on even after you. So it is great to see the 101 students may be a big class of 2005 lol,
Since we will all complete in 2005. :D ;)

Btw, Even when I complete class 30, I plan on continuing to keep learning by giving my C & C on other art, it really is educating my artistic eye. :wink2:

jmfletch
12-18-2004, 02:47 PM
I plan on continuing to keep learning by giving my C & C on other art, it really is educating my artistic eye. :wink2:

They say practise, practise, practise, which is true, but I think I am like you because I learn as much, if not more, from looking at someone else's work and watching the changes they make.

Joe

JayD
12-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Vasil, that is a wonderful drawing--are you going to develop it? The perspective is very nice!

Otter, nice job on the dice--take a look at the dots on the dice and see, for fun, if you can creat various shades of dark--consider your light source and go from there. Good work! Your shading is very good but consider that dice dots are shallow holes.

No stragglers here, Joe--the class is equally in session until everyone has finished.

Vasil--very good with the objects--regarding the waterbottle--take into account that the straw/tube is refracted.

vasilkadifeli
12-19-2004, 01:10 PM
JayD and sultry thanks a lot for your comments... I just did them very quickly so I didn't pay any attention to perspective... but I have already some better drawings to post for Class 3... I am moving over there right now...

cleo99
01-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Otter- Your dice look great. :clap:

Here is my drawing of the Institution. It almost put me there.

jmfletch
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM
cleo - All the red lines should go to the same vanishing point.

Hope that helps.
Joe

sultry
01-03-2005, 08:15 PM
Cleo listen to Joe :)

cleo99
01-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks, both Joe and Sultry. This thing has driven me mad. I found a sunny day photo of the same building on the WDE. I think a little detail in the photo will help alot.

I am going to start on it again , but won't get there till next week.

Thanks again

Exeter
01-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I see this class has been a bit quiet lately. Just wanted to let you know I will pop in here for a quick visit very shortly.

sultry
01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi Werner,
Don't worry the 101'ers will be checking all threads and I make it habit to check every class now. If I am not sure of something I get someone who does. So your in good hands.

Exeter
01-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Ahh,

At last I have something to show for class 3. Didn't have much time for drawing this week, but had some time today.

I have tried to draw the few books that is standing next to me at my working area. The other is the grandpa clock from the photo posted by JayD.

sultry
01-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Werner,
I see you have been busy and it may be the way you scanned the clock but it looks crooked to me. Never mind if it is the scanner. I think what is needed on the clock is to show the dark side better and lighten the side where the light shines. The perspective looks good. Your books are wonderful and just add some darks to them where the shadows are. Good job :clap:

Judi1957
01-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Werner, :wave:

Your scan was just off 3 degrees so I've rotated it and reattached it here. Look at the greyscale also attached. Your clock sits at a different angle on the block than the ref, which is OK but the top of the clock seems out of perspective. Some of your lines also seem crooked.
The greyscale will also help you with your lights and darks.

Your books do look fantastic, just lights and darks as Sultry said.
:clap: :clap:
Looking good, and pleased to meet you! :D

Fireman's kid
01-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Hi Werner! I'm not brave enough to be a sub yet, just another 101 student.

I took a look at your drawings and they are very nice. I especially like the books and the angle from which you drew them. Nice job also on the bricks and glass. One comment on the clock now that Judi has rotated it. It looks the the long line on the back (left) edge bows in slightly - like some mice might have been nibbling at your clock. :) The width of the side piece looks the same at the top and bottom, but the middle looks a little narrower.

Boy, I hope you understood that. It was difficult to explain and I don't think I did a very good job, but unfortunately I'm not computer savvy enough to easily be able to show you. :o If you didn't understand my mumbo-jumbo, let me know and I'll do a quick sketch to show you.

JayD
01-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Let me just add something here as well. What you want to do with values in a graphite picture is create a feeling of different textures with each object. For instance take a hard look at the clock and then at the books--see if you push those values hard--also, DO NOT be afraid to try highlighting using an eraser. Look at the glass and its reflections. Consider the reflections--reflect on the reflections and then break them down into geometric shapes. A Very good drawing--too bad about the crooked scan though. :clap: :clap: :) :wave:

Exeter
01-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Sultry, Judi, Stacy, JayD,

Thanks for the feedback. :) This is exactly why I am a 101'er and not posting paintings yet... :) Something was bothering me about the clock, with your fresh eye's i now know what it is. For one it just again show one of my weaknesses, values.:(

(Just also have to add, I don't have a scanner, using my digital camera to get these drawings in, and yet to get gimp installed and learn to be able to improve the pics I take.)

Sultry. Thanks for the complements on the books :). I was a bit afraid to add shadows. Didn't want to waste the drawing. I will work on them on my drafts and then transfer it. My values and toning is my weakest link (one of many) as you can see. I will work on them. Yes, I spent quite a bit of time to have my perspective correct. (Taking the comments from class 2 to heart :))

Judi Great to meat you too. :wave: :) Thanks for the rotation. The lines, yes I am trying not to use a ruler to get some good practice in with drawing straight lines. Sure do need some more exercise then... :) I though my perspective was right. Will have a look again on the original. I think perhaps one thing that I see is that the middle section is perhaps longer than in the photo.

Stacy Thanks :) The vertical left back side. Yes, luckily no mice :) Just an untrained Lefty. :) I am not to sure about the side piece though.

JayD Thanks for the complements :) It helps a lot. It seems like it will be me, the camera and Gimp tonight. And then it is those values and identifying the shapes. I probably need to draw it bigger as well. This drawing of the clock was about 10cm x 10cm (approx 4" x 4"). Not making it easier.

Again thanks for the feedback. I will go and work all of your comments into the drawings.

Deb Leger
01-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Sultry, Judi, Stacy, JayD,

(Just also have to add, I don't have a scanner, using my digital camera to get these drawings in, and yet to get gimp installed and learn to be able to improve the pics I take.)

Hi Werner, don't worry about not having a scanner. Since I got my digital camera, I rarely use the scanner anymore. I find I get a much, much better shot using the camera and with the software, I can correct far nicer than a scan. I can also shoot a bigger drawing/painting without having to do it in sections and stitch it together. (I use Adobe Photo Shop and Paint Shop Pro for correcting, etc.)

You're doing great at the drawing.

Deb

sultry
01-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Hey Deb I need 101 digital camera class you ready to teach me???? lol Everything I take with my digital comes out to light. :(

Deb Leger
01-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey Deb I need 101 digital camera class you ready to teach me???? lol Everything I take with my digital comes out to light. :(

Hi Sultry, do you mean everything everything? Or just everything close-up like drawings and paintings? There's a setting on them that you can set to over- or underexpose all pics taken. Perhaps that setting has been messed with on your camera? Have you tried taking the same pic with and without flash? Still the same problem? If so, it sounds like the camera itself needs a technician to look at and adjust the exposure settings.

The best way to take pics of your artwork, if it's warm enough, it to take them outside, in light shade. I used to take all my shots this way with my old nikon, but since I've got the digital, about 1 1/2 years ago, my poor little nikon is being sadly neglected. Then I'd scan the photographs with the scanner to get them into my computer. You just can't beat these digitals though for ease of that, though!

Deb

Deb Leger
01-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention Sultry, if it's just your art work pics coming out too light, it might be that you should be using the macro (or close-up) setting to shoot them. That could be the problem, too, if you were using the regular settings and then getting close up to about 1.5 feet to shoot them. The macro setting will automatically adjust your flash for the closeup.

Deb

sultry
01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Sultry, do you mean everything everything? Or just everything close-up like drawings and paintings?
Just my sketches but ty I will check on that I have a HP photo smart 315 older digital which I love because it is user friendly for photos. I am just not sure of what I was supposed to set it for close up photos. I need to find the book to it (lol) and figure out how to change the macro settings. ty again :)

Exeter
01-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Hi Deb,

Can I join you and Sultry on the 1010 digital photgraph class :) I think my biggest problem is purely my light sources. The times that I normaly have available to take photographs is very late at night with only artificial light.

A problem that I also picked up is that when I use my flash I get reflections and shiny points on my drawing that is actually very dark. Taking it from the ide again get rid of it but distorts the paintings a bit.

Played around last night with both numerous lights and camera settings and also with Gimp and got the atached results. Much better already but it took my quite some time to get it this way though. (Yes Sultry, it is actually the exact same clock, no changes yet. :))

I am going to visit the photography forum a bit to see if I can pick up some tips on lighting.

Exeter
01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Just my sketches but ty I will check on that I have a HP photo smart 315 older digital which I love because it is user friendly for photos. I am just not sure of what I was supposed to set it for close up photos. I need to find the book to it (lol) and figure out how to change the macro settings. ty again :)

Sultry, Normally there should be a button on the camera with a small flower on it (Like a closed rose or tulip) If you press it it should be in macro mode. (It will typically also show the flower on your LCD if macro is enabled.

mothsailor
01-19-2005, 08:20 AM
The main problem I have is that the flash reflects off the graphite. As that tends to be most shiny on the darkest parts of the drawing, I end up with highlights were I should have darks! Best way to avoid this, assuming you have a camera with a built-in flash that can't be tilted so as to light the picture indirectly, is to turn the flash off and light the picture with some other light source. Daylight is best, as Deb says, but if that's not possible, you might be able to rig up something with reading lights or something similar, though you will probably get a colour cast from them as they are not the same "colour" as daylight or flash. However, this cast is easily removed using photo-editing software like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. I decided to buy a scanner!

cleo99
01-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Wow, I think I might even graduate from Class 3 today :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here is another shot at the clock tower, while it is not complete, I think I finally got everything heading in the correct direction. Let me know.

But just to make sure I don't have to draw that building again, I did the dice. :wink2:

sultry
01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Dave that is my problem too. I will try that thanks. :)

Cleo wow the clock tower looks nice. I am not too sure but the clock face its self may need to be a little more elispe to follow the perspective of the tower. I am not sure what it is, maybe the frame of the face needs to be more in the shadow. I am not good at perspective so if Jay, Dave or Blah or even Deb take a look they could probably see what is needed.
Oh and dice look great shaded and all. :)

rosebard
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi JayD and others basic 101's,

Perpective concepts isn't so hard to understand in theory and making cubes. But apply it to a chair??? Really isn't working much. Still working on it. But I decided to go one or two step further.

Here is some exercise. Didn't have the time to see the posts for this class, and I am sure the sooner I do, the sooner I will learn more and more.

Thanks JayD and helpers

Rose Bard

Judi1957
01-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi again Rose :wave: You are really flying thru the lessons! I agree to read the lesson and posts as it helps you out a lot. My comment would be to see if you can take another pic to post. I think is may be the same as Cleo's post where the clock face looks round insead of an ellipse. Can you try to repost a darkened one of what you have here? It may be my monitor as well. My monitor at work views the same posts differently (darker) than the home one, which I am on now. I am sorry about not being able to comment here :(

JayD
01-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey Bard--I dont think any of us really like that chair! :D The trick is to think of the chair as a series of stacked cubes instead of one rectangle. The other thing to do is to just freehand draw the chair and THEN apply your rules of perspective correcting your freehand sketch.

Cleo, I really like that clock tower but I like the dice even more--nice work!

Exeter
01-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I'v been a bit busy this weekend. :) Sorted my camera / painting photography out. I went out and bought myself two 150W Halogen (tungsten) external spot lights and got myself two very cheap tripods. The two spotlights was mounted on the tripods and positioned each one accross each other next to a flat area on which my painting / drawing is laying. I used a third tripod to mount my camera overhead. Set it's white balance to cater for tungsten light, disabled the internal flash and set it to overexpose 1 stop.

So I went along and drew the clock image again. Bigger and with much more patience this time. C&C welcome.:)

sultry
01-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Exeter I see a nice sketch of a clock on brick here. I like the shading and the light reflection on it. I am not sure about perspective it looks right to me. ( will let others C&C that for you). I do think since you have done such a great job in shading, why not go farther and show the light reflections on the clock face. This calls for looking for the lightest geo shape of the direct light that is on it.

rosebard
01-25-2005, 06:29 PM
ONe more exercise done!!!

The first dice isn't ok. But the second one seens to be allright.
I want to try the clock again this week.

Rose

mothsailor
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Those dice are tricky, because there is distortion in the photograph. So, you've done a good job! :clap:

rosebard
01-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Thanks Dave. This is really encoraging.
I may sound silly repeating it over and over. But I got say it.
I own my improviments all to you guys around wetcanvas.
look at my first draw!! Still though lots to learn.

Thanks for all the help around!!

Rose :wave:

JayD
01-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Hi, Bard--do you have a photographic for the tower that we could look at?

Also, glad you made the changes on the dice but I still like the first one better (sorry Dave :D ) BECAUSE of the distortion--the first one is visually interesting to view while the second one is ....docile but nice. Sometimes you can use the distortion to your advantange and ignore the rules of compensation.

Exeter
01-26-2005, 02:42 AM
I do think since you have done such a great job in shading, why not go farther and show the light reflections on the clock face. This calls for looking for the lightest geo shape of the direct light that is on it.

Thank you Sultry, I do agree without the detail on the face the clock seems a bit dead. I will have a look at adding the face.

Bill Foehringer
02-05-2005, 12:41 AM
Jumping in with some sketches from the classes up to now. I used a Blaisdell extra soft charcol pencil for all except the clocktower building and I used a regular #2 pencil for that. BillF

Bill Foehringer
02-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Some other sketches. Sorry about the uncropped pictures and quality of exposures. BillF

ps_d
02-06-2005, 01:58 PM
There's so much action on these forums. I can't seem to be able to catch up.

Cubes seem to be little easier to me. Cylinders and ellipsis scare me. I've done the basic outline only as I was not quite sure if I've got it quite right. I'll be filling in the details soon.

I appreciate JayD and all the people who are supporting these forums and helping us novices. Thank you! :clap:

JayD
02-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Bill,I have a couple of things to say--I impressed that you did the sketch and then made the corrections and left them so that we could see them. Regarding the shoes--I would like to see you come back to these later and develop them--maybe incorporate them into a future project.

sultry
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Bill I agree with JayD and very nice shoes too. :)

ps d I think you have the dice drawn in perspective and look great with straight lines and all. Just apply what you did to the dice to your building and you will have it looking more porportioned too. :)

resgene
02-23-2005, 11:07 PM
It's been a long time since I was in here. I had every intention of doing the classes each week but that didnt happen :)

Anyways here is my attempt at some cubes...... very quick sketches just to get back into it.

Judi1957
02-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey Shelly,
So glad you are back!! Wondered where you were.
Your cubes look great! :clap: :clap:

resgene
02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks Judi.
Now on to Class 4

rosebard
03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
HI Guys,

Here I come again with my tower draw. I hope this time you can see it better. And Also the drawing looks better this time.

Lets see of JayD thinks of it.

Take care all of you.

And good work the new subies around. Keep it up.

JayD
03-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Hi rose--would you mind posting the tower along side the drawing again--I need a reference again.

By the way--I LOVE "Fisherman's Village"! :clap: :clap: :clap:

rosebard
03-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Forgot that JayD. There it goes.
I am pleased to hear you loved that one. Thanks for visiting my webpage.

sultry
03-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi Rose :wave:
Oh I liked your website too & the "set a nice table" I think was the title is my favorite one. :)

Okay, first let me say that I like how you drew the whole clock pic. I am impressed with the perspective of the building.
Something about the clock face (facing us in front) is not in perspective with the rest of the building. It should be tipped back and a little sideways to merge in the tower. Also the arch you have around it must follow the perspective vp and it seems to be not in sinc with the rest of the building.

Right now take a look at it you have a perfect circle and arch you have drawn that would be on a building that is facing us head on and with no turn to it. Once you fix your perspective of this, it will merge into the building. The side clock face needs a little bit of merging also (not as much).

The other thing I see, looking over at the left side of the building (building's right) I do not see the roof over the window. I see the wires.

If your not sure of what I am saying about the clock faces pm me and I will try to draw something up for you. :cat:

rosebard
03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Sultry Thanks for visiting my webpage, and for the compliment on it.

Here it goes again. I dont know if I did right so I appreciate your comments.

:wave: :wave: :wave: