PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 3 - Drawing Cubic Objects - Old thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Judi1957
03-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Hi Rose, :wave:
Looks like you have been busy!
Your pic looks good!
It appears you chose a different VP on the right side and thats OK. It seems you moved it further to the right. (I am comparing to the ref on page one of the thread). Dimensionally yours is different as well. I think the face of the building on the right side of the clock tower should be set back like you have the one on the left.
The lines of brick under the front clock face are out of perspective.
I think the clock faces needs to be more ellipsodial and centered. The arches could be rounded a tad more.
I think this was a tough one, there is a lot happening in the pic.
Good job! :clap: :clap:
Hey I visited your web site a while ago and left you a message there. :)

rosebard
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
HI Judy,

Tough?? To me it is like the chair. I think I will have to draw, and draw. And then, draw again. That way I may sometime hit the spot like I did the chair.

Thanks for visiting the webpage and leave a message there. Havent seeing it yet. I will do after I check the other classes.

I like to point out something. YOu said I seem to have choosen a different VP. Guess what? I did it the way a saw it. But when comes to check the perspective still a have a lot of trouble. I think that is why I cant check the perspective correctly. Because I just get lost with it. And I end up leaving as I have drawn.

I am just beggining, right?? Losts to learn and practice. ONe day I start to make it right. :D :D :wink2: :wave:

StancyMcKatt
03-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't know why I had such troble with these :confused:. I figure its because I'm breaking thru a wall between skill levels (which is my usual problem, on things like this). It's all good though :D Thats why the tower's only partchally finished. I couldn't bring myself to go any further. :o

Judi1957
03-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Crys! :wave: :wave:
Hope you are doing well, seems the first classes get lost a lot and I apologize. If you see no one is responding, please pm JayD, Sults, myself or any classmate or even comment in the thread 'Hey guys----Wake up---I'm a calling you!' This will bump you up to the top, do not be afraid to scream at us for attention.:D

Crys, I think your problem with the dice is that you need to make your lines more straight and singular, (when they are sketched with multiple lines, the lines pertinant to the drawing get lost-go ahead and sketch-but darken and use only the lines which are correct) your vertical as well as the lines that go to the VP. The lines which extend to the VP are so-o-o-o important. Maybe it would be a good idea to retry one of them. Also look at a pair of dice. The dots will be ellipses, not circles when viewing them at any angle except straight on.
The straight line issue also carries over into the perspective of the tower. This is a tough one.
I think you did a better job on the trunk, it looks pretty good! :clap:

sultry
03-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Crys I agree with Judi on getting your lines straight. If this is your first outline I understand your being loose with your hand and just sketching the geo shapes but to make sure they are in perspective, do try and get them to be straight lines that will connect to the vanishing point.
This will help you later to sketch out your drawing with more realism.
The clock tower has so many geo shapes in the picture that must all be lined up to the correct vanishing points and if the lines are straight, it will make it easier to determine objects next to it. For instance the clock face can fall in line with (a correctly porportioned and in perspective) arch around it.
As Judi states, look at the elipses in the dice and also the edges of the dice (which are straight lines). Follow by looking at the corners and then determine how the elipses are placed next to the corners. Look at the negative spaces around the elipses next to the corners and edges of the dice too.

StancyMcKatt
03-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I tried it again, This one turned out a bit better I hope. I didn't realize that I'd forgotten to round the corners till I had already scanned it, and cut it down, for posting. :( Oh well. :p

Judi1957
03-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Crys,
This is definatley better. :clap: If you want to try again, go ahead :p LOL
If you want to you can fine tune it and locate the dots using perspective lines as well. :D

imitations
03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Here is the chair from the other direction!

imitations
03-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Here is the cube!!!

Judi1957
03-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Hi again imitations :wave:
These look good. :clap: If I had to comment on anything I would just say to make your linework a bit straighter on the cube. :D Nice job! :D

anniesmith
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Is anyone else out there, still plodding through Class 3? Or are we all "cubed out"?

Everywhere I go I see cubes...I think I'm getting tired of them. I've started sort of rushing through everything I draw, just to get done with another cube. I suppose I'm getting a little burnt out on cube things and maybe I need to find some round things to draw?

:(

Anyway, I thought I'd better post at least a couple of the things I've drawn. Those darned dice. If I'd only read through this entire thread first, they might have been easier. As it stands, I've posted them as is - I had to darken lines to make them show up in the pic, and now they look not just bad but really bad.

The other picture is of some buildings behind our house. I don't know why, but once I resize an image it tends to distort things and sometimes lines that I know are straight in real life end up looking a little wavy. Oh well. :)

If anyone else is still out there, come on and post what you've done! I don't want to be here all alone!

idcrisis55
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Annie, I'm not sure who all is in Lesson 3 but you aren't alone :D. Nice drawings of the dice and the buildings. You have the 1-point perspective down but I would like to suggest lightly drawing the horizon line and drawing the perpective from the right corner going off to the left to the horizon, for 2-pt perspective. I think those lines are off a bit, but other than that, very nice work.

Ann

anniesmith
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks, Ann! Will do!

rosebard
04-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi Aniesmith, you are not alone. I am following all the Class. Just dont think I can comment too much about the drawings, leaving that to the experts here to do it. But otherwise, I can just enjoy and learn from everyones work.

Keep going. Nice drawings.

:clap: :wave: :D

anniesmith
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
And thank you, too, Rose! Now I don't feel so lonely! :wave:

Judi1957
04-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi Annie,
Sorry you are feeling lonely! Hey, after Class 5 you can jump around the classes. :D
I agree w/ Ann here. Establish your horizon line and VP's, if you have any trouble, just give a holler.
In looking at your dice, attaching the ref and your drawing side by side so you can get an idea where you are off. And it does not look bad nor really bad like you said.
Note for your buildings, the horizon line needs to be the same for both. If the buildings are perpendicular to each other,(which they appear to be) the vp's will be the same for both also. Note your dice have different vp's. See link below.
Do you have the 'How to Draw What You See' book? If you do, check out pages 40-41.
And here is a link (http://daphne.palomar.edu/design/space2.html#lperspective) from the WC Learning center, which will help a lot.
You are doing wonderful! :clap:

Fracray
04-13-2005, 02:52 AM
.....If anyone else is still out there, come on and post what you've done! I don't want to be here all alone!

Hi Annie,
You are not alone anymore. I finally made to class 3.

Ann (idcrisis55) thanks for looking at my table and chair for class 2. I was really surprised how well the chair came out considering how much trouble I had with the first chair of class 1.

Here are my first set of posts for this class -

I didn't follow instruction when I drew the dice. After sketching the basic cube shape they looked pretty good so I when ahead and tried shading without checking the perspective. Now that I look at them I see that I missed hitting the VP's on at least three of the sides and the ellipses are not the right size or shape.

For the barn I did follow the instructions but could never seem to get it right. The VP's were to far away to draw the lines so I had to guess and guess again and again, then I finally said that is enough. I started some other cubes and will post them later.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the help.

Ray

tumteetum
04-13-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi Annie, Ray

I am in class 3 - but am a bit behind. Haven't done any drawing for over a week! Life getting in the way. Got stuck for something to draw with cubes in it - need to print better copies of Jayd'd pictures and start with those I guess. I'll have to do some drawing tonight as I don't want to end up alone!

Rachel

JayD
04-13-2005, 06:44 AM
OK, lets try this again--I posted and got sent to oz and my previous post vanished. there was a tin man, a pouty little chick and a fuzzy little dog! Thank you Windows XP and my D-less Dell! :D

Ray, I am so loving the Dice. Remember that when you are working with photos to always compensate for any distortion that the camera may cause--just keep this in mind for future reference and dont "fix" the dice because they look really nice as is. In the class that covers perspective check out a link by Fireman's Kid (staci) where she used perspective in one of her commissioned works to fix a problem cause by the camera. It is very interesting.

Rachael--as a 101er, you are never alone-WHA HA AHA HA AH! :evil: :D

tumteetum
04-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Rachael--as a 101er, you are never alone-WHA HA AHA HA AH! :evil: :D
That's good to know JayD! I have a warm fuzzy feeling with slight distress :cat:

Fracray
04-13-2005, 01:20 PM
....In the class that covers perspective check out a link by Fireman's Kid (staci) where she used perspective in one of her commissioned works to fix a problem cause by the camera. It is very interesting....

JayD,
Thanks for the complement. I found the post about correcting the perspective when working from a photograph. I will keep this in mind when doing future drawings from photos.

The next post in that thread referenced a link to "Renaissance Perspective Barn". It was post #292 by Sultry. The link doesn't work. I found a post by Jet (#310) in the same thread also with a link to the "Barn". When I try that link I get an "Invaild Post Specified" error message. Has that post been removed or moved? Is there anyother way I can get to this link?

Thanks,
Ray

anniesmith
04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
:wave: Hi Tumteetum and Fracray! Glad you are here!

Judy: Thank you for the link! I've bookmarked it and will have to spend some serious time reading all that. It's a lot to absorb all at once and very thorough.

I got down on the kitchen floor with my drawing of farm buildings. I'm serious. It took me several sheets of printer paper strung out underneath on both sides to draw out the lines to the vanishing points. I guess I'm certifiably crazy now? :D

I did a quick sketch of just outlines, no details as I'm short on time today. Then I darkened all the lines so I could take a snapshot. Sorry if there are some wavy lines in there :rolleyes:

First pic is the drawing the way I originally did it, second pic is the beginning of the new and (hopefully) improved one.

Judi1957
04-13-2005, 07:38 PM
Annie says:"I guess I'm certifiably crazy now?"
Join the crew, you are now a full fledged mamber! :D
Hey Annie, Before you get any futher I thought I would check out your latest in respects to your horizon lines and vp. I have found the points and this all looks good. But If you look at the attachment, actually print it out, and retrace my lines, you will see how I got to the 'conclusion'.
Nice work! :)

BeckyGMS
04-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Whew! I finally made it to class 3! I chose to draw the first sketch of the buildings JayD posted. I haven't corrected the perspective, yet, because I want to do it with the tracing paper the way Jay instructed. But I won't be able to get any until next payday, so I'm just going to post what I did and go on to class 4. Then I'll come back and post my corrected drawing. Any tips or hints will be appreciated.

Judi1957
04-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi Becky :wave:
This looks great! There is a great link in post 266 to a WC Learning tutorial on perspective. That should help you out in correcting.
See ya later :wave:

JayD
04-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Judi, thanks for covering the classes--you are a real godsend being around here. Looks like you have covered the bases expecially about the vp extending off the paper in some cases.

Judi1957
04-13-2005, 10:03 PM
:angel:
:D
You're welcome Boss.

tumteetum
04-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Hello 101'ers. I'm struggling today. Had a break from drawing and find myself with a flabby sense of momentum. Keen to get stuck in again as I am a natural born quitter and don't want to lose grip of this one as I really want to be better!

Did a couple of cube type drawings today and am most disappointed. Just had a surf through the old posts from the 101-ers who have passed before me and feeling a little more motivated now. I guess it is ok to just draw a thing rather than a whole scene or corner of a room then? I just need to get some of my focus and confidence back!

I started a drawing of my kitchen and got frustrated. then did a drawing of the hifi - which turned out to be more of a sketch than a drawing.

Hoping that knowing I posted these pics will motivate me into doing something better!

anniesmith
04-15-2005, 03:57 PM
:wave: Hi, Tumteetum! Glad you're back!

I know what you mean about the motivation thing. It's so easy to get discouraged.

Looks to me like you're doing a great job. As you can see by my posts, I'm still struggling with this vanishing point business. :rolleyes:

I will leave comment to the experts - they've been great about helping me along. I'm sure in a little while one of the subs will be around to have a look.

Hang in there! We'll get past this eventually! :D

BeckyGMS
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi TumTeeTum,

Glad to see you back. I've been thinking about you and wondering where you were. I also have a tendency to not finish things I start. Maybe we can encourage each other to stick with this.

I tried to draw the dice, but they are harder than they look! I know the photograph distorts them somewhat, and that makes it hard to draw them. Here is the scan of them. Funny how when you scan things, you can see little errors that you don't see the first time you draw them. It's kind of like the looking in the mirror trick. I did correct a few things after I scanned these, but was too lazy to re-scan them.

Judi1957
04-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Becky, :wave:
Perspectively this is 100% right on. :clap: :clap: And in looking at this you can see how perspective can give angles that are 'funny/odd' to the eye. So I just went and got a cubed object and put it in front of me and viewed it at the same angle as the reference, just to observe the cube. Can you and do the same and tell me what are you seeing--what is different from the 100% correct perspetive you drew?
You are doing marvelous!

Hi Ray, Annie and TumTeeTum :wave:

Hey, I often quit things myself, but I can tell you this...I am very glad I have stuck to 101 here. Some nights I just don't wanna draw. So I don't...but I try not to do that more than once or twice a week. And some nights I may only draw for an hour or two. I don't know about you all but I work full time and sometimes it's tough to keep going after a full day, so sometimes you gotta push and sometimes you gotta rest. :)
I am so glad you guys are in a group. :D

Fracray
04-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Hi to everyone.

TumTeeTum - Don't give up. I think you are doing a great job. You are not the only one getting frustrated just look at this post.

I found a box I had made quite a few years ago and decided to use it for one of my cube drawings. I first sketched it out using cube forms as JayD suggested (See sketch 1) and then use my makeshift lightbox to copy it to a new sheet of paper. I then layed it out on the kitchen table to correct for perspective (see photo and second sketch). I got so focused on laying out the perspective that I didn't notice that in the process I had shortened the length of the box. I did the final touches and when I scanned the drawing I noticed that the lid had shrunk and the back side panel didn't look right. I sometimes think I would have been better off just cleaning up the first drawing and posting. On the other hand I think I gain some knowledge by doing the complete process and next time it will be better. Or maybe I learned that I should not try to draw after finding out that I owe the government more money. I waited until yesterday to finish my tax returns. The final photo is the reference I used.

Ray

Judi1957
04-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Ray :wave:
You made that box?!! What kind of woods did you make it with?
It is beautiful! :clap:
Learn by errors, tis a good thing. :)
You did a really good job and I like how you have shown your layout on your board---and that is quite a straight edge-the level-LOL.
Based on your attachments you got it correct and understand it :clap: :clap:
It is easy to loose your original lines-we all have done that. But-it sure makes you watch closer later! :D
Very nice work Ray!

Fracray
04-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Judi - Thanks for looking and commenting. As for the box, the darker wood is cherry and the lighter wood panels are maple. It was finished with tung oil that was applied with 400 grit wet & dry sandpaper.

Ray

idcrisis55
04-16-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Tumteetum, Hope you don't mind if I just call you "Tum" (less typing for these old hands :D). I think you are doing great myself and hope you get into your drawing again. That happened to me too at Christmas and I am just now really getting back into it. Perspective is the most difficult thing I've encountered as I still struggle with it but what we've learned will help immensely all through drawing and painting.

Way to go on the dice Becky. What I see in your drawing is because the dice are at two different angles the perspective will be different as will the vanishing point lines.

What you said about always finding the little errors once the drawing is scanned is so true. It happens to me all the time. I love having the scanner or camera for posting work on-screen so it can be checked. Or I use a mirror or turn the drawing upside down. That helps too, to spot things.

Nice work on the original box (the one you built), Ray, plus on the drawings. As Judi said, we learn from our mistakes. It hones our eyes :D

Ann

BeckyGMS
04-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Thank you Judi and Ann for the compliments. The things I corrected are small details that I missed the first time. I straightened the line on the back edge of the left hand die, and made the dots larger and more uniform. The challenge for me was drawing the dice at the exact same angle as they are in the photograph. I'm a very detail oriented person, and want things to come out of my pencil exactly as I see them. My dream--and goal--is to eventually be able to draw so well that people will wonder if it is a black and white photograph. I don't know if I'll ever make it there, but it gives me something to shoot for.

idcrisis55
04-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Becky, One thing you can do even now with the dice is to put the black circles in perspective by just drawing the lines in each direction, making a box, then putting the circles within the box. Just something else for you to think about lol.

To be able to draw so well that the drawing looks like a photo is a wonderful goal and I'm wishing you much success. Doing the lessons and lots and lots of practice will definitely bring you farther along to that goal. One thing I've learned is that if the basics are learned first and well, they provide a good foundation no matter the direction one takes.

Ann

tumteetum
04-18-2005, 04:39 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement! I will pick up my pencil and try again tonight.

Everyone is doing brilliantly! Well done folks.

tumteetum
04-18-2005, 03:50 PM
I did a drawing for class and I'm quite pleased with it! :)

The label looks a bit off. it's sort of stuck on at an angle but I think I lost my perspective on it.

The scan hasn't picked up the lighter tones - don't know if that's my scanning technique or because I need to make things darker - hoping to learn that along the way.

Oh, and by the way - Tum for short is just fine :)

BeckyGMS
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Good to see you posting, Tum. That disc looks like all mine--crooked label and all!

I really love drawing cubic objects. I could stay here forever, but have forced myself to go on to lesson 4. Cylinders give me fits, but I must grit my teeth and go on...

Must draw slinkies....

Becky

Judi1957
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey Tum,
Nice one point perspective. :D
Tis light but I found the lines.

anniesmith
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Judy, for the help with my farm buildings. Here is another attempt at them, or what I've managed so far. This is from a different angle.

Both of them are way off-scale compared to Real Life. Also, I currently lack the drawing skills to accurately show the rusting sheet metal that the old barn-like structure is sided with. The former farrowing house is not that square in real-life either because it hasn't been used in years, but I took the easy way out and drew it without the sag in the roof and holes in the siding.

anniesmith
04-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Judi, for the help with my farm buildings. Here is another attempt at them, or what I've managed so far. This is from a different angle.

Both of them are way off-scale compared to Real Life. Also, I currently lack the drawing skills to accurately show the rusting sheet metal that the old barn-like structure is sided with. The former farrowing house is not that square in real-life either because it hasn't been used in years, but I took the easy way out and drew it without the sag in the roof and holes in the siding.

Judi1957
04-24-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Annie,
This looks great! The thing you need to remember with a 2 point perspective is the lines need to return to the VP's. The only three lines I found to be off are arrowed in on the attachments.
Question-is the peak of the farrow house to be off center (I believe that is what I remember from your first post). If it to be centered you would need to relook at the short side of the building, find the centerline of the building in the method shown in the attachment. This is how you would find the line at the peak of the roof. If it is not applicable here, you can just remember this for future work. I assume it is not applicable as this method, when applied to the barn, it was right on! :clap: :clap: :clap:

anniesmith
04-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Judi - Bless you! :angel:

You make this look so easy, and it's NOT! Not yet, anyway. It's a whole new way of looking at things.

Yes, roof is off-center on the farrowing house. You can be sure I'll file this one away for safe-keeping and future reference.

Thanks!

dragonfruit
05-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi! :)
Thought I'd go ahead and try some cubes...

(Just couldn't face The Dreaded Chair again)

Ren

Judi1957
05-15-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi Ren :wave:

Nice work! :)
The thing I would like you to check in all of your drawings is this: As the planes move from the most foremost part of the drawing towards to VP's, they become smaller. See attachment.

eaglesonpogosticks
05-23-2005, 11:18 PM
I feel ashamed looking at all this work posted here. Here are my first attempts:
http://img222.echo.cx/img222/7095/sofa0ca.jpg

Judi1957
05-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi Eagles! Welcome to 101.
First...what can we call you?

Second...ashamed...why would that be? I think you did a good job on the 2 point perspective!:clap:
I do see two lines that are out of perspective and one that doesn't belong. See attachment.

edit: Third, I have been having trouble opening some attachments since the Blackout,-can you repost the computer.jpg like you did the sofa?

eaglesonpogosticks
05-29-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the pointers... The computer.jpeg was drawn to see whether i could get the perspective right.. of that i'm not so sure:
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/1629/computer0fp.jpg

Judi1957
05-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Eagle!

Looking at your drawing you have the right idea. Try to correct it and don't be afraid to use a ruler/straight edge here. All vanishing points are on the horizon line-of which there is only one.
Nice work!

Smitty7
09-20-2005, 04:28 AM
I finally decided on the dice. The clock tower was kicking my behind and I was becoming discouraged. I will try it again later. Anyhow, here is the Vegas picture. I'm still not really happy with it. It's hard to check VPs on this as they are way way way off the page.

Smitty

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2005/67559-dice.JPG

Mary Woodul
09-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi Smitty, I like the 3D effeect on these.

sultry
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
D7 do me a favor show me where your vps are on both dice. I think the viewers right on your front dice is off. Great shading though, that is why they look 3d.

Smitty7
09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Sults, I tried to figure out the VPs on both the reference and on my drawing. A person would need a long ruler because they are quite a way off of the page. Looking at my drawing again though, I definitely agree that the left one is a little "off". Anyone have any good techniques for checking the perpsective on an image when the VPs are off of your page (and possibly your drawing board)? I noticed the reference is in three point perspective. Thanks about the shading.

D7

sultry
09-20-2005, 03:24 PM
D7 when that happens get some masking tape and more blank paper (tape the drawing to it and leave enough room for your vps). Now go ahead and re-do the angles from the vp. It really helps alot. :)

IslanderNL
09-21-2005, 08:52 PM
I've thought cubes this week, but haven't had much time to do anything about them til now.

Here are some cubist forms from the living and diniing room that seem to fit the bill. I'll find some others, or perhaps do one of JayD's photo references on page 1. I rather fancy a grain elevator and have some photos tucked away from when I was in Saskatchewan in May. I'll have to see if I can find them again, they sure are cubic!:) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/67422-cubes.JPG

Mary Woodul
09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
These look fine to me Jeanette. I like your drawing style.

Judi1957
09-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi Jeanette :wave:
I checked the chest and coffee table. I do think the top of the chest is missing though. Both look great! :clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2005/37258-jeanette-cubesvps.jpg

IslanderNL
09-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Yes, you're right Judi, it is off a little, I'll have to correct that.

Thanks

Smitty7
09-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Sorry for the long delay between replies. I've been working and drawing the "House of Horrors".

Mary, Thanks for commenting on the dice.

Sults, I will definitely check it out as you described and try to correct the lines.

Jeanette, I think the perspesctive on your furniture looks great.

Dave

Smitty7
09-22-2005, 10:15 PM
OK, I checked our perspective lines and made some minor adjustments. I think it is better, but it will probably never be perfect. I think I'll try to draw some cylinders now. Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

Smitty7
09-22-2005, 10:16 PM
It helps to attach the drawing. Oops!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2005/67559-dice_II.JPG

sultry
09-23-2005, 08:14 AM
D7 they look better & I saw your beautiful house in the WDT. You better go on to the next class you did a great job. :)

Judy C
10-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been very sick for two weeks. Here are some of the cubes I was working on before I got sick. I have made some adjustments to the bricks, clock and candle yesterday and today.
Judy C

Judi1957
10-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Judy, :wave:

Glad you are doing better. Nice work. :clap:

Though I think you should go back and check the perspectives.Can you show the horizon lines and vp's?

Judy C
10-08-2005, 07:26 PM
Judi, thanks for the suggestion, but can you be more specific. Do you see a problem with cubes in particular?

Judy

JayD
10-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Hi, Judy--we HAVE to come up with a JUDY system --is my ENTIRE class named Judy?

Judi, would like to see the perspective lines that you have done for each cube--I love the building by the way. She needs to seem them so that she can offer you more atuned advice. This is kind of the same as seeing the reference photo. NOthing wrong with the drawings but she does need to see the process. You will be applying these ideas later on up the road.

By the way, I did not get a chance to personally welcome you to the class. Keep up the good work--I cant wait to see more. :)

Judy C
10-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Okayyyy, here are the drawings with horizon lines noted.

Judy:o

Judi1957
10-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Judy! :wave:
What I need to see with the horizon line is the vanishing points and the lines you used to draw your items with. Look at this for an example:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2005/37258-annie4.jpg

Judy C
10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Judi,

Thanks for making me stick to the task. I have attached a copy of the brick, clock, and candle drawing on which I have indicated the vanishing points with circles where the perspective was off. I will make those corrections on a clean drawing later. This has been a good learning experience for me because what originally seemed impossible, especially with the poor lighting and lack of evident detail, has turned out to be a drawing I would like to paint.

Judy (hopefully not one Judy too many):)

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Hey JUDY!

There is always room for another Judy. :)
Glad you are sticking to it-it is very important. Nothing can throw your drawing off as an incorrect perspective can.
Hate to tell you this but I cannot read this. :eek:

Judy C
10-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Judi,

Sorry about the last upload. It was too big to upload, so I reduced it--thus the loss of clarity. Here are the three pages I used to illustrate the vanishing points. You can probably see the pieces of tape I used to connect them. I hope it will be satisfactory. I came up with seven deviances on perspective that I intend to correct. I really didn't see anything glaringly off, but it has been satisfying to me to realize that I can make corrections to perspective, thus creating a more believable multi-dimensional effect.

Thanks again for your help.

Judy:rolleyes:

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Judy! :wave:

Looks like not only having trouble making attachments-I cannot open these. WC must be having some troubles. I will come back a lil later and look for ya. :) Sorry about that.

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 09:27 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: and now they are gone! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Try again when you can.

Judi1957
10-09-2005, 09:37 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: and back again :eek: :eek: :eek:
I will look now (b4 they disappear again!)

Judy C
10-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Judi,

I jockeyed the thumbnails around to get them in order: leftsection, midsection, rightsection. That's the reason they disappeared. I'm calling it a day, so I'll check on this tommorrow.

Goodnight.

Judy:wave:

Judi1957
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I came up with seven deviances on perspective that I intend to correct. I really didn't see anything glaringly off, but it has been satisfying to me to realize that I can make corrections to perspective, thus creating a more believable multi-dimensional effect.

Nice job on checking your work Judy! :clap: :clap: Sorry took so long to respond. :o I did print this out and this looks good-you seem to have found the areas which were off. They may not be glaringly off-but understand that if the perspective is off too much-it throws the whole drawing off-as 'something just not right'. Looking forward to seeing your corrected perspective. :D
Nice work!!!!!!

Judy C
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Judi,

I've been working on it today and will scan and send it along as soon as I have it completed. BTW, I hope I didn't sound too crabby before. I really appreciate all you guys. You are a generous lot!

Judy (Texas Judy if that will help Jay-d know which one of us he is talking to.):cool:

Alison2
10-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Hello all,

I decided I'd do my sewing box for the cube thing thinking it wouldn't be too difficult! :p Boy, was I wrong! :eek: :eek:

I sketched it first, and left all the lines in so you can see the complete dog's breakfast I made of it....then did the tracing paper thing! Great exercise though...now I know even when I start something and it's way off...if I just keep going and correct, eventually it'll turn out ok..ish! :D

See what you think! Thanks,

Alison :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2005/43103-wclesson3.jpg

Judi1957
10-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Alison! :wave:

Nice work!!!! Good to see both your rough and your finished drawing.

When you do this for a drawing you intend to do something with (like frame :) ) transfer your rough to good paper by either using graphite transfer paper or take graphite to the back of your rough then lay it over the good paper and trace - with another color- the rough-press just enough to transfer your lines lightly-don't indent your paper.

Alison2
10-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks Judi! :D

It's been a great exercise to do...though not without its frustrations! I'm seeing cubes everywhere - even working out how to put people's heads in a cube...eek:

Off to class 4 then! Thanks again!

Alison :wave:

Judy C
10-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Judi,

I finally got around to redrawing the bricks, clock, and candle scene. This respiratory infection I've had (aided and abetted by the influx of pollution from all directions and minimal rain to clean the air) really wants to hang on. Four days this week was all I could manage to work, and that was a stretch.:( I haven't gotten the converging lines and vanishing points showing, but I did check them (cl and vp) by pivoting a ruler from a point on the horizon line (an idea that emerged from these lessons) and tried to make the corrections to perspective as accurately as possible.:o

Hot, dry, and miserable in north central Texas.

Judy

P.S. This cubes/3D thing is firmly imbedded in my sick brain. Sitting in the restroom at work, I was trying to construct a rubics cube of the tiny tiles on the floor and talking to my son, I was charting the highlight down his nose as well as the shapes, shadows, etc. his nostrils.

Judi1957
10-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Awwe Judy-
I am so-o-o sorry you have not been well! :( Hope you feel better soon.
Your perspective looks great! :clap:
It would be good to revisit the clock face and make it an ellipse. If you feel up to it develop the drawing w/ some values.

Judy C
10-15-2005, 11:37 AM
Okay, you can see my drawing and read my message now. I think I've said all I wanted to.Judy

Judy C
10-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Judi,

Thanks, I'll try to work on it some today or tomorrow.

Judy

Africanart
10-15-2005, 10:47 PM
I chose to do the building with the tower. I drew the basic frame around my drawing paper to establish my work area and to also help me measure the distance for my building, but my tower still looks like it is going to fall over any minute - tried my best. Go at it let me hear it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2005/69011-towerlesson3.jpg :(

JayD
10-16-2005, 12:03 AM
You're probably falling prey to the distortion caused by the camera--I actually like the angle that you drew though--but if you want to draw one "more normal" just check the perspective of the photo and eyeball the corrections right onto your drawing.

Africanart
10-16-2005, 08:25 AM
After looking at the picture upside down I realised that it does not really look that bad, I realised that I could correct it by just extending the line... thanks for these basic 101 classes I really enjoy them and it motivates me again to do some serious drawing (painting) :clap: which makes my husband happy because he loves my work and he sees how much I enjoy it (though know we fight for the space in front of the computer, believe me that is a biggy because I never use to sit infront of the computer for long) I am addicted to this website now :D Loads of fun thanks once again looking forward to the rest. :rolleyes:

Judy C
10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Judi,

I took a shot at making the clock face an elipse with what I have learned from going on to class 4. Yes, I have sneaked into the next class and have done some of the exercises.:evil: I don't know what happened to my drawing pad; it looks like someone has set something wet on it, so it's not a very good scan.

I'll work on the values of the cubes drawing this week. It should be help when I do this in watercolor--a little something extra I just want to do.:angel:

Judy/TX

bsnowden
11-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Here I am with a start, Judi. Looked and looked at cubes everywhere and decided to try the clock tower. The first image is sketching out blocks, second image drawn in perspective, and third image, the real thing. Problem - the side clock is too small. I think I know how to fix. Also, do you like the unfinished drawing or do you think I should finish it? I may just fix the clock and try another one (not a clock). Picture is leaning (leaning clock tower of 101) but I just had it crooked in the scanner. :D

Judi1957
11-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Hey Bernice!
Great you showed your three steps! :clap:
Can you show me the all of perspective lines going to the VP?
Also The face of the clock on the front tower wall would be more of an ellipse.
I'll check back. :)
Nice work!!!

bsnowden
11-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi Judi,
Perspective lines are in figure two. I've done this in one point so the front face should be a circle. It's the side clock that I need to fix. Will post update later.

Judi1957
11-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey Bernice-
I could not see those line on my monitor at home. See em now (at work)
:)

bsnowden
11-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi Judi,
Reposting the image with the perspective lines drawn a little bolder. This is one point perspective and I've also adjusted the clock on the side face. I sort of liked the unfinished look to this one so I've blured a few adges and will leave it like this. Moving on to another project in this same class - probably the dice.

Judi1957
11-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Hi Bernice! :wave:

TY cause I am home again-I see 'em! :D

Lovely work! I can see you are a person who likes of detail-me too.
Looks great! Love the hint of the evergreens and leaves.
The stonework is grand too! :clap: :clap:

bsnowden
11-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks Judi,
Have started the dice - and yes, I like detail so I'll probably be a couple of days at it. Perspective on the darn things was tough. The cubes always looked out of proportion but I think I got it.

JayD
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Bernice, that tower looks really good--agree with Judi--love the stonework--texture can really make or break a picture.

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks JayD. Enjoyed doing it. I really couldn't see the detail so I made something up! :D

Mary Woodul
11-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Very nice work, Bernice!

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 07:20 AM
Thanks Mary. :D

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Judy,
Finished the dice. Didn't get them both the same size but then neither was the reference. Forgot to post the blocks and perspective figures. Will do later.

AlisonBC
11-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi class three people :wave:

I am taking much more time posting for these lessons than I need to and I've finally worked out why! I do the assigments and sit with them a while before posting becase I feel slightly out of place, odd I guess, but one of the reasons why the weekly drawing thread is so attractive is that everyone is there and doing the work at the same time. As a new participent to 101 I feel a million miles behind and sort of a little lost for it :o. Also, another thing is that after doing classes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 I know I am going to want to join the latest class...just to be with the gang so to speak, but at the same time I can see valuable classes wayyyy back there, and I am going to have to fit those in too. I am pondering putting my five children up for adoption/selling the house/giving up work/ditching the husband/friends/family so I can find the time to fit all this art/practice in :D :p :evil:.

Ok, here goes with my first posting for this class. I decided to draw one of our sofas as it's FULL of cubes! :D The cushions, arms, feet, shoulders, and base all fitted into cubes :) I've made a few alterations to the pre-transfer drawing which aren't here and I'm now at transfer and detail stage. Is this ok so far?

Once again, sorry for the poor photography.

AlisonBC
11-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Nice dice Bernice :D Loved your tower too!

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks Alison,
Glad you caught up to ME. I sort of feel like I'm doing this on my own too sometimes. The sofa is great. Love these lessons! All I want to do is draw, draw, draw. I need a maid so I can do this full-time. LOL

Judi1957
11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Hi Bernice and Alison, :wave: :wave:
Sorry it took so long to get here. My MIL had surgey and needed to take care of her first. She is doing well. :)

-Looks like maybe you guys have a buddy system and Alyssa is catching up too. Sorry you guys feel lonely here. :( But you are more than welcome to participate along with us and do the 5 Classes simultaneously-no harm in that. We would love for you to join us! Don't forget though- the other Classes are a lot of fun and you will learn a lot-so Alison you may just have to put your five children up for adoption/sell the house/give up work/ditch the husband/friends/family. :eek: Hmmm- just for a few hours a day though! :) LOL-Have to get away-w/ 5 children - good luck with that!!
Bernice-I hope you get a maid-I want one too!

Bernice-your cubes are wonderful and Alison I love the couch!
Great job ladies! :clap:
See ya later!

Troy Rochford
11-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice work both of you. :)

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks Judi and Troy,
Just posting the other two diagrams for dice. Judi, I hope your MIL is doing okay.

Judi1957
11-11-2005, 10:43 PM
BERNICE!!!!
Is that chocolate on your first drawing? :evil: :eek:
MIL is resting comfortably now. Thanks! I will tell her the Canadians are asking about her! :D

bsnowden
11-11-2005, 10:46 PM
It could be chocolate! :D

AlisonBC
11-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Judi, hope your MIL gets better super fast!
Good idea on working on two classes at the same time, I'll try and squeeze another one in :D

Bernice, mebbe we could maid share! :D Failing that, we'll have to just ditch the housework lol.

Troy, thanks! :)

Bernice, Alyssa and I will have to be the terrible trio bringing up the rear :D

AlisonBC
11-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Finally! I've climbed the highest mountian, swam the deepest lake, walked through howling winds and blistering heat and ...ok, I watched Shrek2 last night (for the 100th time) All I've really done is FINISHED THIS SOFA! Unless someone tells me otherwise :rolleyes: :D

This was a realy test of artistic endurance (hence the intro) as it took so long! But I have enjoyed it (and also just rescued it from Katie, who was rubbing her hand over it :eek: ) and have learnt a lot. One thing being that sometimes it's almost impossible to make sense of fabric and it's folds, particularly when the light isn't so good (very bright light from the window mixed with dark shaddow), so lots of time is needed to 'read' the folds. Another being that chocolate leather sofas are as nice to draw as they are to sit on. And another being that it pays to take your time...even when the last 'hour' goes on for ten lol. And lots more besides. Oh, and it's 2b mechanical pencil on A3 Bristol Paper.

I'm going back to the tutorial now as I've forgotten what else I have to do for class 3!!

*NOTE* I've read and can't work out what else to do! lol. Help! Do I do one of the pics that JayD posted?

bsnowden
11-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Alison, That is beautiful! You inspire me.

AlisonBC
11-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Bernice, thank you :o

Troy Rochford
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Alison you asked me to look at this and all I can say is that it's great. You're as good or better than I am at drawing fabric, so there's really nothing I can offer in the way of advice here. The only thing that looks off to me is the highlights in the leather. You may want to make them a little more diffuse, assuming that is a soft leather. Your highlights give it more of a slick, shiny look, more like plastic. Or at least that's the way it looks on my computer. This is outstanding work overall though.:)

AlisonBC
11-15-2005, 10:33 AM
The only thing that looks off to me is the highlights in the leather. You may want to make them a little more diffuse, assuming that is a soft leather. Your highlights give it more of a slick, shiny look, more like plastic. Or at least that's the way it looks on my computer.

Thanks Troy, I'll take another look and soften the harshness of the light areas. And thanks for taking the time to look :)

AlisonBC
11-16-2005, 03:10 AM
Ok, I've darkened and softened the lights; it's a lot darker in rl, but on screen looks washed out. Not sure how to get around that! Also I noticed (after it was on screen :rolleyes: ) that the front leg closest to the view was a little long, so I've shortened it...probably too much now!

Oh, and the picture attached says 'class two' but it's ok! I know it's class three really :p

Judi1957
11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Alison! :wave:
Great job! :clap:

WesternArt
11-27-2005, 07:46 PM
I haven't posted any of my other pics, but have done the previous classes. I just thought I would kick myself and get this one scanned and put on. I haven't done it in depth, but just focused on the dimensions/perspectives and tried to get them down. Comments/critiques welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2005/70420-class3objects.jpg

Judi1957
11-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi West! :wave:
Can you show the perspective lines you used?
OK you have done PCA and Classes 1 & 2 but can you show us and post there?

pallavi
01-03-2006, 11:07 PM
hi,
judi -Sorry I was not able to post it yesterday,my internet connection was terminated and i was not able to log back.Here is a cuboid subject from my kitchen. As I have said my sense of light and shade is not good, anyway its a plastic box. I will draw from cubic object given as practice drawing and send.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2006/60510-class_3.1.jpg

Bye
Pal

jmfletch
01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Pal...Nice work on cube! :clap:
Recognized it instantly before reading you post.:D
Is the image that dark in RL?

Joe

pallavi
01-05-2006, 12:52 AM
hi,
joe - thanks
yes the cube is really dark.that because it had become dark outside, so the light source was minimal and in order to avoid the confusion of having two light source i had switched off the rooms light:D . But I have also decreased the brightness component while scanning- just a little bit.
judi - it seems you are busy with class 32,no probs ,I am going there too.
bye
pal

Judi1957
01-05-2006, 12:35 PM
This is strange. I know i responded as I asked if the bottom of the front end of the box was rounded at the base.:confused:
LOL- my post must be lost in cyber space!

pallavi
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
hi judi,
the box had round curve on all the side but it was looking just like the drawing, maybe i will go check it again.
i have made another drawing.its from one of the practice drawing,i didnt draw all of it,but some day when i learn to shade the landscape (the trees especially) i would to draw this one bigger in graphite. the vanishing points were very far away,so i drew first and corrected later .i hope i have done correction for most of the lines.:rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/60510-basic_3.2.jpg
bye
pal

Judi1957
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Pal:wave:
Nice work there! :clap: This will be a really good exercise for you to do an enlarged version. Please post it when you do.

Yes-those vp's were really out there! It is helpful to tape additional paper on the sides of your drawing to be able to locate them.
I have maked up a few things so you can do the corrections.

I realize the actual reference photo for the clock tower is at an angle but I made the corrections imagining that the photgrapher wasn't leaning so you could understand the method a bit easier. The angle you drew was a lil different than the ref-but I made the corrections based on what you had drawn-because the perspective method is what you are working on understanding.

The red vertical lines represent the vertical sides of the building faces. By making a line from the top left of the wall of the front face to the bottom right of the vertical at the bottom ledge (and vice-versa) you can find the actual center of the front face-which gives you the center line along which the center line of the clock face will fall and the center of the wall between the two windows.
The blue lines indicate the top of the tower walls. If you connect the opposite corners-the intersection would mark the centerline of the peaked roof.
The green represents the top ledge. I think your ellipses of the clocks need corrected a bit.
Maybe the roof lines of the tower roof actually go out to the edge of the ledge - but I am not sure of that looking at the photo. If that is the case the melon colored roof lines would go from the peak to the outer corners of the ledge.
Those lines are drawn on there in ink and marked 'possible'.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2006/37258-paltowercorrected.jpg

pallavi
01-08-2006, 05:04 PM
hi judi,
sorry,i was not able to post my assignment.my blood pressure went very low so i was not able to get up from my bed. now i am fine.here is my next assignment i hope it okay.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/60510-basic_3.3.jpg
if you feel that i have got the feel of this subject then should proceed or should i send more assignment for this class.
waiting for your reply
bye :wave:
pal

Judi1957
01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Awwe Pal-hope you are doing better now!

Looks good. I do think you would want to re-visit the clock face - Look close at the ref. Also the clock base seems too thin to support the top sections. Your stone blocks/mortar are dimensionally different than the ref-but what you did there is well done!
I would like you to keep practicing your shading/layering skills on this one before you move on.

pallavi
01-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Judi,
I have made this picture again.Now I understood what was the mistake with my last drawing.Before this drawing ,we were drawing a single thing in different horizon so I was not able to picture so many things.I was making the clock, the cement work and the wall with different vaninshing points and horizons. The lesson I learnt from this exercise is - the vanishing points of diferent things in the picture can be different but the horizon of all the things in a single picture has to be same.I know I am stating the obvious but this was the point which completely eluded me the last time.
The clock in this picture is still not perfect but I hope its better than the last one. I will practice some more and send you the rest of the practice drawing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/60510-basic_3.4.jpg
bye
pal

Judi1957
01-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Pal!:wave:
Well done!!:clap: :clap:
Also nice work on the shading and indicating different materials!
Great looking glass!
Maybe I should start to state that about the horizon line. :o

pallavi
01-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Judi,
Sorry,it took me so long to post my next practice drawings.I got busy with cp class.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/60510-basic_3.5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/60510-basic_3.6.jpg
I hope these drawings are okay.i know some of the sqaures are bit more skewed but I did my best.
bye
pal

Anita Murphy
01-20-2006, 06:24 AM
hi Pal

I am the new subbie for this class so I will be taking over from Judi.

Think everyone and his uncle is in the CP class!

Your dice are coming on nicely.

pallavi
01-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi Anita,
:wave: .these were my last drawing for this class. infact this whole page has most of my drawing so what do you think am I promoted to class 4?:D
Are you a subbie for class 4 also?if yes and if I am promoted to class 4 then see you again soon?
Bye :wave:
Pal

Anita Murphy
01-20-2006, 04:31 PM
You may move on Pal - I think CJ is your subbie for class 4. Have fun!!!

Troy Rochford
01-20-2006, 04:38 PM
HI PAL! just passing through....:)

HI ANITA!!

Anita Murphy
01-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Are you checking up on me Troy??????

dippin'colors
01-21-2006, 10:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/67372-Untitled-6.jpg This is my cubism for this class..drawing to be done soon (Unless dice count?) Brenda

Anita Murphy
01-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Brenda - the building looks good and the top dice don't look to bad either but your bottom cube is out somewhat. Remember that opposite sides should be parallel. I suggest you redraw this one.

When you draw these pictures include the horizon line and your perspective lines.

Don't forget to draw the other two pictures too! (clock tower and the clock on the shelf with the rectangular vase)

karstenbuch
01-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi Anita - as my work for this class I took my Rubricks cube and put it into a cube-formed bottle, but someone seems to be attacking it.

Actually I think I've invented a totally new style ----- Think I will call it cubisme !!! :D :wave:

dippin'colors
01-22-2006, 12:30 PM
OK, I will try to get them in soon. Brenda

AlisonBC
01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Haha Karsten :D I like it!

Troy Rochford
01-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Karsten that is awesome!!!

Anita Murphy
01-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice concept Karsten!

dippin'colors
01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Anita sorry it took so long to get back..busy in CP amd WDE. Here is the clock and the glass.( the glass is NOT cubed by the way.. it is octangular!) Drew in perspect lines. Bottom left is off the page but it is the top and bottom corners of that brick as starting points. Thanks, Brenda
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/67372-clock-cube.jpg

Anita Murphy
01-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Brenda - hi! You can't have a VP coming forward - it must go back to the horizon line. SO from the clock the lines should go back to the horizon not to the front of the shelf. And remember the shelf and the brickwork is a perspective problem as well. The glass though looks like you have got it right.

Have another go - draw in a horizontal horizon and use the same horizon for all the objects.

Check Judi's example here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3530322&postcount=297)

dippin'colors
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
And I thought JUDI was tough with perspective!!!:eek: :D Okay, I moved the vanishing point from front to mid-wall horizon line,(sorry for squiggly lines, not used to doing this in PS) then higher up wall behind clock to a higher horizon line. In the tower it is the same..2 VP depending on which angle you want to see. Can I have my Blue Peter Badge now?:angel: Paaaaleeessse!?? :cat: lol Brenda http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/67372-cb-1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/67372-cube2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/67372-cube3.jpg

Anita Murphy
01-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Brenda - have a look at this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4201781&postcount=376) For the clock tower.

I'm very confused now with your drawing and all those lines. The glass vase was fine the way it was but I think the clock is still out. Try doing just the clock.

dippin'colors
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/67372-cubes-again.jpg
I am not sure what you want, Anita.:confused: For the tower I went to the link you showed then drew the lines on my copy and they lined up..Mine just showed a different angle of perspective. ???Is is a wrong angle? I am not trying to be dense it's just that sometimes I am, and this is really difficult for me. The other one lines up so all have the same VP. I think..maybe..welllll, you tell me OK? Brenda

Anita Murphy
01-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Brenda - sorry - didn't mean to confuse you. The photo of the clock tower is at an angle because of the photographer being lower - In Judi's example she shows how to line it up. You clock is looking much better now. You can use different vanishing points for one object or if there are more than one object different VPs for each object - just make sure you use the same horizon line.
Hope that makes more sense. If not PM me and I'll try again! :D You are not the only one that has problems with perspective - its not easy to get the hang of.
If its any consolation - it took me years to figure it out! :D

dippin'colors
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks, Anita..I really appreciate your help. I flunked out of goemetry in school so it just might take me years as well!!! Strange though when I look at what you do it is all so natural and so close to perfect it may as well be. Do you use this alot in your drawings or paintings or does it just come more natural?
Brenda

Anita Murphy
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Brenda - I avoid anything that requires perspective like the plague! :D i think it does get easier though - its one of things that just takes practice.

dippin'colors
01-26-2006, 09:28 PM
What's next? Do you have some more for me or do I move on?

Anita Murphy
01-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Brenda - Just remember the rules and you'll be fine - go on to class 4!

Troy Rochford
01-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Brenda - I avoid anything that requires perspective like the plague! :D i think it does get easier though - its one of things that just takes practice.

You're more talented than you think you are, grasshopper. Everything - I repeat, EVERYTHING that you draw has an element of perspective. It is not possible to avoid it.:)

Brenda I would suggest that maybe in your spare time you look up some basic geometry tutorials online - seriously. I eyeball most of my perspective and am pretty good at it even though I don't even remember all of the silly rules associated with it. As it happens, though, I excelled in math-related classes all through school. Maybe my geometry skills are a big factor in my ability to get perspective right by eye. If that's the case, then brushing up on your geometry definitely couldn't hurt.:)

emme05
01-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Hello Anita, I'm just checkin' in to say hi and let you know that Judi said I was to go on to class #3. I've printed off the class instructions and will read them before I begin. I am also in class #33 with Troy's permission so my work in this class may be delayed a bit, but I will submit it, I will, I will...See You!!

Anita Murphy
01-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Welcome Michele! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Amadan
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
:music: Hi to everybody I've been folllowing the classes and would like to congratulate those involved who are so kindly donating their time to help people like to me draw. I applaud you. I would also like to say hi to those who are taking part in these classes. I've been really amazed by the art work you all have produced so far, I would love to succeed like all of you. I'm having problems with my scanner so haven't posted my results so far. I must get the digital camera out.

This question has probably been asked a million times but I don't recall seeing it (probably was too immersed in looking at everybody elses drawings to notice :eek: ) I'm having loads of problems drawing the reference pictures. The 1st pic. with house and leaning barn (not sure what it is) I know you're supposed to treat each section as a separate cube and stack them on top of each other but I'm lost. Does each cube have the same vanishing point? Or a different one each time? How about the second picture of the clock, glass and bricks? Same vanishing point? How should I tackle it? I've been trying 1st pic. now for the past 45 mins or so. I have done it free hand and was going to correct the perspective as Jayd suggested in other lessons (see I was paying attention :D ) but I don't know how do this. Not sure of ...yes I'm going to repeat myself again ....the vanishing point :music: . I would appreciate some help (before I pull out the remaining hairs on my head!!)

PlEASE, PlEASE HELP!

Amadan
02-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi again, I got out the digital camera and took some photos, hope they are not too faint. 1st One is my complete failure of an attempt at the 1st reference picture.

Anita Murphy
02-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Hi Amadan!
Dealing with your first post first.
The barn is tricky to do - I used one vanishing point for the whole building, I seem to remember.
Which clock do you mean? The clock tower or the brick shelf with the clock and vase. Have a look at this (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4201781&postcount=376)post on the tower and this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3530322&postcount=297) shows you how to use two vanishing points for one object. Your other two - from what I can see - look good. I like the wicker work too - did you make sure all those lines followed the perspective too? :evil:

robynsin
02-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Hi Anita - Judi has passed me on to you. I've done the clock tower - the clock and glass fills me with horror. I'll wait to see what you think about this before I go there.

many thanks
robyn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2006/66219-tower.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Robyn - welcome to my entrancing world of cubic objects! :evil: That looks great. A couple of little things that looks off to me - the roof on the left hand side. The roof sits on top of the tower so should not extend out beyond that wall. Does that make sense? The curve above the clock face too should not be completely round. Because you are viewing from the side the arch is slightly lopsided as is the clock face. You did it really well on the side clock. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will show you on your drawing.

With the clock on the shelf remember that all those lines in the shelf are also perspective led. And you will need two perspective points for the clock.

Have fun!!!!

Amadan
02-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi Present thanks for your reply, though I am still not much wiser. I started redoing the barn last night. I've the outline complete now but I found I ended up guessing the lines on a certain section. I will post my drawing tonight if I get it completed and see what you think. I'm still having terrible problems guessing the horizon and vanishing points so as to have the same angles as to what I'm drawing.

Thanks for your remarks about the basket. Actually you are a devil it never dawned on me to do the whicker lines in perspective!! What a donkey I am. :rolleyes: Thanks for keeping me on my toes. (Hope I don't get vertigo!! :wink2: )

Hi Robynsin (nice to meet you) Glad there is somebody else at the same stage as me....well you're doing a lot better than me ...but at the same stage in lessons!

I'm dreading doing the side circles...looks so hard, yours look good.

robynsin
02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Amadan - welcome to my nightmare!;) thanks for your kind remark - I didn't see where I was off with the tower until I posted it - it's always the way. Nice to have a classmate - I really liked your wicker.

Thanks Anita - I did feel the front clock wasn't exactly on the same plane as the front of the tower - Totally missed that the top of the circle would need to be considered - and that roof! I'll go back and see if I can work that out. I was really happy when I first drew the tower from the photo on my laptop screen - then I checked the perspective and corrected the walls and then started all over again and it was downhill all the way:(

Just cheched out your oranges in cellophane - awesome. I started this whole graphite exercise to improve my drawing for watercolours. So much to explore in it - I may never find my way back to watercolours.

ciao
robyn

Anita Murphy
02-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Amadan - I think you might find it easiest if you print out the ref picture, then draw in the perspective lines on that drawing so you can see how it is put together. (Print the picture to the left of the page so you have room to draw the lines in.) You don't have to be a slave to the original - the exercise is for you to understand how it works.

Anita Murphy
02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Robyn - a couple of pages back Judi did the clock tower but straightened it up - you might want to have a look at that. I started the drawing class to improve my painting too. I have to say its helped a lot - I'm doing a lot of grisailles now and tonal values don't scare me at all anymore.

robynsin
02-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi Anita,

I think I've corrected my clocktower - decided to keep the same angle - if it is still off maybe I'll try Judi's trick of straightening it up. At least I'm learning patience - I really didn't want to erase any of the original, but I have and it was good for me:).

ciao
robyn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2006/66219-clocktower3.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Robyn - Thats much better!

How come everyone misses out the snow??? :p :D

robynsin
02-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Thanks Anita.
The snow was there in the first effort but it melted while I was trying to get the roof right:D

I'll be back eventually with the next exercise.
ciao
robyn

robynsin
02-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi Anita - back again! This exercise took me a day, I found it quite hard and very complicated. I have a photograph of miles of paper spread out on the table with vanishing points going in all directions. Let me know if you want to see it, otherwise I won't gum up the works.
Am posting my original sketch with lines and finished piece. I actually prefer the sketch with lines:D

ciao
robyn
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/66219-brickslines.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2006/66219-clockglass1.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Robyn - this is really good! Well done! The only thing which you lost between the drawing and the final was the clock isn't quite parallel to the back wall on the vertical line but I can forgive you that! :D Nice glassy galss too and the good detailing! You rock girl!!!

robynsin
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow! Thank you verfy much, Anita. I've never rocked before! ;) Does this mean I can move on to Class 4 and see what scary things JayD has waiting there?

robyn

robynsin
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow! Thank you verfy much, Anita. I've never rocked before! ;) Does this mean I can move on to Class 4 and see what scary things JayD has waiting there?

robyn

PS Sorry, I got so excited, I double posted!!

Anita Murphy
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
You are officially promoted!

GeorgeEen
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Hello Anita.
George is my name and Judi just allowed me to move up to
Class 3. Just dropping in to say hello and to see if I need any instructions before starting here?
Buenos Noches!

Anita Murphy
02-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi George - remember what you learnt in class 2 - this class is perspective gone mad! :D
Take it slowly and you will be fine!
Looking forward to seeing your work!

GeorgeEen
02-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Hello again! Thank you for your quick response.
... this class is perspective gone mad... you said.

WOW WOW I thought perspectives Class 2 was mad, this class must be more than crazy! Maybe I should reconsider?
Nah, I will be brave and stick it out...

Anita Murphy
02-08-2006, 10:00 PM
You have to do it, George! No escaping!!! Muahaha!!!! :evil:

GeorgeEen
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Anita! Since there is no escape, here is a book for you to read on the sofa in the barn:) :)

The barn and sofa were done free hand.

GeorgeEen
02-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I forgot to date and sign them, better next time!

Anita Murphy
02-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Wow - George these are nice! Perspective obviously doesn't worry you at all!
I like the texture in the sofa too! How about the clock tower and the clock and glass vase on the mantel piece now? They'll be a piece of cake for you!! :D

GeorgeEen
02-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Perspective obviously doesn't worry you at all!...
Haha..no, it doesn't worry me, but sometimes I still have major problems with it. Part of the learning process!

Clocktower etc...a piece of cake? Again: HAHa! Time will tell.
Thanks for your encouragement anyway!

flippetygibbet
02-12-2006, 03:46 AM
The cubes of Bath Abbey (from the reference library). Mechanical B on bristol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Feb-2006/67248-bath.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I went to school in Bath so this is immediately recognisable to me. Super drawing - well done with those flying buttresses! I particularly like the distance that you have acheived with the tower. Very nicely done of a very difficult subject! :clap:

GeorgeEen
02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi! This is just a warm-up to show you that I am doing my homework. More coming later!

GeorgeEen
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Rolling the dice which to draw next, the clock or the clock tower. Both will be difficult, I think. We'll see!

GeorgeEen
02-14-2006, 02:19 PM
flippetygibbet.
Hi and WOW! My dice or your cathedral:

I have a long ways to go yet IF I ever would have the patience for it.
But, as Anita was saying earlier:"You have to do it, George!
No escaping!!! Muahaha!!!!"

Beautiful!

flippetygibbet
02-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I picked the easy one - all the lines on the abbey are either parallel or perpendicular :)

Troy Rochford
02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
flippetygibbet.
Hi and WOW! My dice or your cathedral:

I have a long ways to go yet IF I ever would have the patience for it.
But, as Anita was saying earlier:"You have to do it, George!
No escaping!!! Muahaha!!!!"

Beautiful!

Yeah, Anita IS a real slave driver. We're trying to work on that...;)

Anita Murphy
02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
George - the dice are good - though not square! wouldn't want to have to play with those - they look loaded to me!

Yeah, Anita IS a real slave driver. We're trying to work on that...
Troy - you know you love it like that! :wink2:

Amadan
02-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi George & Flippy (show off!!:D ) your drawings look great.

Hi Anita I eventually made it back. I had an absolutely terrible time with these pictures, the clock-shelf-and-glass being the worst. Made about 4 attempts at this one, I was working too big and my vanishing points were half way the road....and I didn't have that much paper let alone a rular long enough. Tried a t-square and that was so bulky and wasn't flat, and the tracing paper when I did eventually get something that looked half decent kept moving (I had nothing to do with it!:evil: ) and when I redid my picture the lines weren't connected....and....ooooooohhhhh I was so frustrated....I cursed that clock so much I bet it stopped and never works again. Anyway enough of my moaning (I'm giving myself a headache) I am kind of pleased with how the clock picture eventually turned out...I know the clock is very wonky and doesn't resemble the original clock at all (but if I don't give myself some tiny bit of encouragement after all my work I'll end up in the nut house) but I did eventually grasp the fundamentals to work out the perspective and I have learnt so much and the picture is a million times better than I could ever have produced had I not started these lessons. So thanks to all those involved. I'm very grateful.

The lines on my barn look very crooked but I in my pad they are not as obscure as they seem here. I think I took a crap photo (please stop shaking your heads and chuckling I'm making excuses or am delusional! :D )

Anita if you thought George's dice weren't square...lol....you'll have a field day with mine....how oh how do you make them a complete square.

Can lesson 4 be any worse than this lesson?

Anita Murphy
02-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Allowing for the fact that you are at an angle from your sketch book these look pretty good, Amadan. I know it is hard to draw the barn a decent size and still have your VP in the same county let alone on the same page!
I do like the look of the clock on the shelf - any chance of a pic directly over it so I can get a clearer look?
As to square dice - :D just remember that your vertical sides should all be parallel. SOmeone remind me not play any dice games with you lot!!! :D :D :D
I think you can move on to class 4 now - have fun! :wink2:

GeorgeEen
02-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, Anita IS a real slave driver. We're trying to work on that...;)

Hey Troy, I came from Lesson 2 a few days ago. I called Judi: Ms. Taskmaster. Now you are telling me that I moved up to a slave driver!
What kind of a place is this??? :D :D

Anita Murphy
02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Now you are telling me that I moved up to a slave driver!

:evil: muahaha!!!! :evil:

Troy Rochford
02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Hey Troy, I came from Lesson 2 a few days ago. I called Judi: Ms. Taskmaster. Now you are telling me that I moved up to a slave driver!
What kind of a place is this??? :D :D

And just think... all of THEM tremble in fear when I walk into the room. And I get you after class 5.:evil: :evil: :evil:

mauricar
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh My. I am here. I will read over what you want me to do, then present my study of it.

mauricar
02-15-2006, 03:35 PM
The instructions say to transfer it onto good paper. Which type of paper? Bristol do, or do you want Canson or something? Are we to do this in plain pencil, colored pencil, WC or pastel or what? Do you want it shades or just outlines? I am so confused.

mauricar
02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Here is the rough. After I transfer I'll add more detail and whatever you decide to finish it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/71456-clockver_1.jpg
LOL. I really thought the little glass was a drink, so I put ice cubes in it. They are cubes after all. Can I put a slice of lemon on it and just call it "Time for a drink"?

Anita Murphy
02-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Midge - it looks good so far - remember perspective! I use Bristol Smooth or Stonehenge for all my drawings. I am sure you can put a slice of lemon on it but notice that the glass is not round but octagonal. Nice touch to call it "Time for a drink" - can you make me one too while you are at it???? :D

mauricar
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Anita - do you want it in pencil or colored pencil?
Octagonal - my eyes deceive me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll do it in pencil, then you let me know if you want cp, okay?

GeorgeEen
02-15-2006, 09:41 PM
And just think... all of THEM tremble in fear when I walk into the room. And I get you after class 5.:evil: :evil: :evil:

Well, Sir, After the Taskmaster and the Slavedriver anything may be better! Especially when you say that all of THEM
(that means not ME) tremble in fear...
Better hurry back, though, to the clock tower (that is slave work...)

mauricar
02-15-2006, 09:54 PM
How much detail do you want on this?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2006/71456-clockver_3.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey George - Mum's the word!!! :wink2:

Midge - put as much detail as you want. If you want to do it in CP that's up to you but we only really need one version.

GeorgeEen
02-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Ok Mum,

Here is my tower. It looked pretty good until after I had scanned it.
I then saw that it is trying to look somewhat like the Leaning Tower
of Pisa.:( :(

Anita Murphy
02-16-2006, 12:54 PM
George - that is because of the angle from the photographer - hard to photograph tall buildings totally straight. Judy has shown how to straighten it up somewhere - brb while I look for the link

Anita Murphy
02-16-2006, 12:56 PM
here you are (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4201781&postcount=376)

GeorgeEen
02-16-2006, 08:42 PM
George - that is because of the angle from the photographer - hard to photograph tall buildings totally straight. Judy has shown how to straighten it up somewhere - brb while I look for the link

Thanks so much, Anita! This will be very helful. But, I think there is still something wrong with the right wing of the building? I will work on it tomorrow.

Hey, I am really enjoying WC! and these classes. Almost better than live classes. Here, there is almost an instant response . while with the "live" one, you have to wait another week or so for that.
Thanks again for your help :clap:

Anita Murphy
02-16-2006, 09:08 PM
George - we are here to serve!! :D

GeorgeEen
02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Wow! Guess what I read earlier today:

“The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve.”

Albert Schweitzer

mauricar
02-16-2006, 09:52 PM
How does this one look?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2006/71456-clock_ver_7.jpg
Time for a drink is here. I didnt' do a lot of detail because I have a new commission that I am working on. But I wanted to post this.

Anita Murphy
02-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Midge - this looks good - just remember to keep your vertical lines parallel. The sides of the clock seem to go out near the top and the top section isn't quite straight.

George - that is too funny!

GeorgeEen
02-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Anita, "We are here to serve", you said earlier.
I am kinda slow at times, but now I know what you mean, I draw an empty glass, you fill it and serve.

I drink it and then my chimney begins to keel over. :-)

mauricar
02-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I tweeked it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2006/71456-clock_ver_8.jpg
For some reason it came out blurred. But can you see it well enough to see the changes?

Anita Murphy
02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I am kinda slow at times, but now I know what you mean, I draw an empty glass, you fill it and serve.

I drink it and then my chimney begins to keel over. :-)
Ah George - that explains the lean!!! If you had rotated your drawing slightly I would never have known! :p Apart from the lean it looks pretty good.

Midge - that's better! :D Nicely done!

mauricar
02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
What would you like me to do now?

Anita Murphy
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Midge - have a go at the clock tower - check a couple of posts above here where I posted a link to where Judi shows how to straighten it up if you want to straighten it.

GeorgeEen
02-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Anita: Here is my corrected tower. Very sobering isn't it after the drink you served!

Mauricar: Your blurred drawing looks pretty good to me! I liked the texture.

Anita Murphy
02-18-2006, 10:19 PM
George - this looks good. Nicely straightened up!

mauricar
02-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Anita - am I done here? Should I do something else, or move onto class 4? It is your call.

Troy Rochford
02-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Anita - am I done here? Should I do something else, or move onto class 4? It is your call.

Midge please see Anita's post #465 on the previous page.:wave:

mauricar
02-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Oops. I missed that one. Sorry. I did a rough sketch, but am having a problem with the snow part of it. Is is all right if I make it Spring? Also, do you need it straight? I rather like the angle. It appears more realistic.

mauricar
02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Double oops. On the same one I missed you said "if I want to". Well, I don't think I want to so I'll post the other one. Let me darken it a bit though. I'll be back later on today.

mauricar
02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I measured it, and the measurments are right on. I am still not sure about the snow though. Here is the rough.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/71456-lesson_3_ver_8.jpg
I like the angle. It looks like a shot that I would have made. A tilt backward and then forward.
Let me know what you think.

GeorgeEen
02-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I was going to send this one with the tower but I forgot.
Are there other excercises to do yet?

Anita Murphy
02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Midge - no-one has done the snow so please feel free to make it spring! :D I think that the line that goes across the front clock face is parallel to the roof line. As are the other lines on the front face on the tower.

George - the dresser is good except the center line of the drawers is not vertical. Otherwise nicely done! :D

mauricar
02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Hmmmm. I'll fix that.

mauricar
02-19-2006, 07:38 PM
That is what I call a Boo-boo. Sorry. Lets try this one more time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/71456-lesson_3_ver_9.jpg
Angle your head, close one eye, then stand on one hand and anything can look right (lol)
:rolleyes:

GeorgeEen
02-19-2006, 08:32 PM
That is what I call a Boo-boo. Sorry. Lets try this one more time.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/71456-lesson_3_ver_9.jpg
Angle your head, close one eye, then stand on one hand and anything can look right (lol)
:rolleyes:

I did and it worked! Sort off, maybe. :cat:

GeorgeEen
02-19-2006, 08:38 PM
How is this Ms Slavedriver?:rolleyes:

Anita, after your remark I see it now. Thanks!
If it is still not up to your expectations, Madam, just let me know and I will
try to live up to it :D
This is great and such a good learning process. I am enjoying it!

Anita Murphy
02-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Midge - you missed one line, the one above the windows - and did you put the roof in or is it just not showing off the scan?

George - much better! Is the depth of the top of the dresser supposed to be narrower at the top? It might just be that the paper isn't straight but just check that for me. Otherwise great stuff!

mauricar
02-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Are you talking about the telephone wires? They are there. And yes, the roof is there. Perhaps I need to make this darker so you can see it better. I always do everything too light. Hmmmm. I need to work on that. I'll get back to you.

Anita Murphy
02-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Midge - there is a rectangle above the windows - that is the line I mean that is out. Try playing with the brightness/contrast controls on your editing programme and see if the lines show up any better.

mauricar
02-19-2006, 10:20 PM
This is really ugly, but it is the best I can get off the scanner:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2006/71456-lesson_3_ver_11.jpg
I just can't seem to get a good picture of this thing. The harder I try, the worse it gets. Please, take my word for it. I have drawn everything that is in the picture that I can see, other than the snow.

mauricar
02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Sorry for the lousy scan. I am going to try and scan it again, and hopefully it will print better. I tried several times last night and it was always the same. Next time I just will not keep it when it is that ugly.

GeorgeEen
02-20-2006, 06:36 PM
George - much better! Is the depth of the top of the dresser supposed to be narrower at the top? It might just be that the paper isn't straight but just check that for me. Otherwise great stuff!

Anita,

I don't quite understand what you mean by the depth of the top of the dresser?
Whatever it is, you are also wondering if the paper was not straight.
Well, that IS a good question, because when I scanned the dresser the paper was not straight, so I straightened it. Obviously there is or there was something wrong with it . Don't know what though?
Something else: I noticed at times that some of my drawings tend to be slanted towards the left. Any idea why that is?

mauricar
02-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Anita, your new avatar and sig. line make me hungry. Good job on the spoon. Very difficult to render, but you did a wonderful job.

Anita Murphy
02-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Something else: I noticed at times that some of my drawings tend to be slanted towards the left. Any idea why that is?
Em....... you draw with the paper slanted? Like when you write? No idea! sorry!
What I meant was the side that is closest to us ie not the one with the drawer fronts, looks narrower at the top than at the bottom.

Midge - thank you for the comment on my spoon - it is one of three in the same pic. I have a silverware fetish and have done 4 cutlery pictures so far. 5th is underway as we speak.

GeorgeEen
02-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks Anita! Now where do I go? Any other excercises?

Anita Murphy
02-20-2006, 09:29 PM
George - I think you have this pretty well figured out so please move on to class 4. Have fun!!! :D

GeorgeEen
02-20-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks Anita and thanks for all your help. It has been fun! Will probably run into you again some other time onWC!

mauricar
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Anita - what would you like me to do?

Anita Murphy
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Midge - feel like trying the barn? Go on - I dare you! :evil:

mauricar
02-20-2006, 11:20 PM
My goodness, this is harder than it looks. before I put a lot more work into this, do you think I should use a caliper to get the measurements to match his, or is the rough work okay?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2006/71456-barn_ver_2.jpg
I used a ruler for the lines, because my straight lines are always crooked. But should I put weathered boards on the building and maybe some grass in the yard? I noticed that he did it in color, would you rather I did that?

Anita Murphy
02-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Midge - its not about exactly duplicating JayD's - but more about learning how perspective is used in this jumble of rectangles to create an accurate drawing. For perspective a ruler is essential. You will need to turn your sketch pad to landscape format and keep your barn on the left side of your page and then draw in the perspective lines and from them build up the barn. Don't start out with too long a vertical line or your perspective point will be across the street! :D Remember the rules from class 2 and apply them.

JayD
02-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Oh, GOD!!! Dont copy me!!!!!!

mauricar
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
HELP! I have tried this three times and just can't seem to get it. On another sheet I find the vp, but the building just doesn't look right. What am I doing wrong.

mauricar
02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
5th try. I am not sure that I have it yet, but it is the best I can do. Not a finished piece, but just to see if the basic part is right.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2006/71456-barn_ver_4.jpg

Anita Murphy
02-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Midge - its one of those that is sent to test you but I think you have almost got it. Remember that the sides of the sloping roof should be parallel. I think that is the only thing that looks off to me. Do also try to get your verticals perpendicular to the ground. I would have liked to see your perspective lines to check it properly.

mauricar
02-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Would you believe it is one of those old barns that is about to fall down? Oh, well, in that case I'll fix it and be back the next time I am allowed out of bed.

Amadan
02-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Anita, Sorry I'm only getting to post my picture of the clock again now. I don't think I took this photo any better. Please don't give out to me. As is said before, I know the clock isn't the same as the original, to be honest I'm not so bothered about that, just glad I got the perspective correct. At least I hope it's correct. Thanks for all your help Anita, I've really enjoyed this class (enjoyed it apart from fighting with myself, the pencil, the paper, the reference picture, the table, the chair.....I could go on!!!)

mauricar
02-21-2006, 06:32 PM
6th try. I added a touch of home, and a place to go swimming. The clothes line has a sock on it. DId you know that lost socks turn into wire coat hangers? Just look in your closet. Anyway, I digress;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Feb-2006/71456-barn_ver_6.jpg
Let me know what else you want me to do. Chortle, chortle.