PDA

View Full Version : New York City skyline

Bertoni
11-07-2004, 09:28 AM
This is a painting I had done in it's WIP stage. I went on and really ruined it and threw it into the circular file (garbage). I just found a photo of the WIP and kind of like it in this stage. It's a 1950s version of the skyline!
What about resurrecting it, redoing the painting to this stage as a finish? :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2004/28168-nyc_skyline_unfinishied.jpg

Charlie's Mum
11-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Yes is the answer to that!
Mind you, I rather like it as it is! :D

damar
11-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi Bert, I remember you posting this about a (?) year ago! Sorry to hear you eventually "filed" it. Its a great composition and cool colors. Worth doing again. I have a few early works, I'm considering re-doing sometime.

Bertoni
11-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Maureen & Damar:
Thanks folks...I think I will give this one a fresh start!! :)

paloma
11-07-2004, 04:17 PM
I like this as is Bertoni. Though you could give it another go - better to have a fresh canvas - whenever I go back to anything after I have either lost interest or lost my focus I tend to ruin the piece completely. It's a nice comp good vibrant colour - maybe for a challenge you could try some different glazes & textures for the next one. What do you think ? cheers Alexandra :wave:

Bertoni
11-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Hola Alexandra:
You've got it right!! That's exactly what I intend to do. This time I'm going to start it off on a gessoed canvas! Also will put some of the techniques into it that I've learned since I did that old WIP!
It should be an interesting thing to work on!!! :)

JamieWG
11-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Bertoni, I like it quite a lot. The only thing I'd suggest is that you have the pinkish part of the background not mimic the silhouette of the buildings quite so closely. I think you can add interest to the composition by working different shapes behind the buildings.

Jamie

paloma
11-08-2004, 02:57 AM
Hola Bertoni,
Glad you are going to do a new canvas. You must show us how it is going - maybe a WIP !!! Should get us all fired up.
Hasta Luego Alexandra :wave:

Bertoni
11-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Jamie: That makes a lot of sense! Will take care of that problem in the new painting.

Hola Alexandra:
I'll definately post a WIP on the progress. It should be fun and hopefully a big improvement on the last try on the painting that I tossed away!!
Vd habla Espanol, esta bueno! Fui en Espana en la 1970s!:) I never miss a chance to use the language, so I won't forget it!! LOL

BRIDGES
11-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Love this skyline ,now suggestions, not such a harsh line of light, fade it gradually to the top. dark could still be a top but not such a "line" Blend...Bridges

Bertoni
11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Bridges;
I did this painting some years ago and my intention with the new one is not to repeat the problems with the first try that caused me to toss it out!!
Thanks much for the suggestions. Will keep them in mind!! :)

slaterza
11-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Bertoni,
I love the painterly feel that this has and the surreal lighting. I do feel that the canvas is a little top heavy the bottom third is lacking something. I am not sure what to tell you and I am not sure what you had in mind since it was still unfinished but I would give it another try it can only be better.
Sam

Mark Newton
11-08-2004, 09:38 AM
First time I've seen this painting. Looks pretty good at this shown stage, too bad you lost it. Its interesting that you have left light in a geometrical kind of fashion around the buildings. My only suggestion would be to bring some of the sky colour into the foreground as the painting seems bottom heavy to me. Good luck with the new one anyway...

Lady Carol
11-08-2004, 11:24 AM
B: I really like the buildings but not the harshness of the sky. And I find the colour of the water disconnected from the rest of the painting. A re-do in a more limited palette might work better.

Bertoni
11-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Sam, Mark & Carol:
It will be interesting to see how I approach it this time. I went from a black & white snapshot I had taken when I was a kid way back in the 1950s. It was during the day, not night...taken from the deck of a ship. Will have to decide whether to make it a day painting or night again!? Thanks for your input!! :)

MKathleen
11-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi Bertoni: :wave:
I like this concept very much but agree the water is disconnected from the rest of the painting. I guess it really depends on whether you want it to be more to the contemporiary side. My suggestion would be lessen the violet and increase the blue to unify the painting. The painting really begs to be finished keep it out of the round file! :wink2:
Kathy

jeffreyd
11-08-2004, 10:33 PM
i took this photo last week sitting in my car on the river i think you will like it your picture is very dramatic.nice job,jeffreyd :clap:

Bertoni
11-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi K:
The WIP I showed had gone into the circular file a long time ago. But I'm in agreement with your thinking on the water. Will be starting the new effort on the scene right after a landscape I'm working on now!! And the water will end up on the blue side, and maybe won't be a night scene anymore? I'll see... :)

jeffrey:
That's a really nice shot of the bridge!!! I can't wait to get down to NYC and take a bunch of shots with my digital cam!!! Probably in a few months when the winter's over with!! :)