PDA

View Full Version : White cat (WIP?)

SummerSun
11-07-2004, 04:57 AM
I "finished" this painting last night...I'm not entirely sure if it's finished yet, so I would really like to hear your comments, in case there is something I could fix...

I've never painted cats before, and I must say it was really hard to get it to look like a cat. I used a reference photo from the Ref. image library. In fact I think this painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=226761) was painted using the same reference.

This is painted with acrylics on 32x27 cm (I think) canvas board.

Artguy29
11-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Excellent job on this cat!
I have posted the reference photo for comparison.
I think your direction of the body fur is rather off. You'll notice that the fur is slightly "split", in direction, that is. I've done a quick drawing over the reference photo to explain this. ( Not the greatest drawing, but it proves the point)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2004/25905-cat1.jpg
Some indication of indiviual hairs might also help the look.
Maybe making the background slightly darker will help the contrast; you want the eyes to focus on the cat and not get lost in the background, so to speak.
I also think the shadows should be worked into the fur more. If you look at your reference, you will see that they are very subtle.
Just a few small adjustments and I think you'll be very pleased.
Be sure to post any updates!
Hope this helps,

Dave

Artguy29
11-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Sorry, double post.

Bertoni
11-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Those are great suggestions by Dave on fur direction!
It's a really nice painting :clap: and that's pretty much all it needs to make it a total winner!!!
I've done several cat paintings and fur direction was the most important thing I had to learn! :)

Lampburke
11-09-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't know how, but you've painted a very good picture of a cat that is somehow "worried". Good job.

SummerSun
11-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Thank you for the comments, everyone! And especially Dave for your suggestions! You are so right about the fur - I sort of knew I should do something about the cat's chest, but the thought somehow slipped my mind :). I'm going to try fixing the fur today, and I'll post an update here later...

Mark Newton
11-09-2004, 04:12 AM
I think we all tend to choose (to one degree or another), to ignore particular areas of a painting that bug us from the early stage and we pay the price later on. I'm trying hard to teach myself to get things right early, so I dont have the pain of altering nice details to restructure some aspect that I chose to ignore early on. Once the chest is fixed this will ROCK!

ShellyF
11-09-2004, 01:17 PM
I love this kitty! You did an amazing job on his (her?) eyes. Well done :)