PDA

View Full Version : Gaka's Crocodile-Python

Gaka
11-07-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi there

Attached are some pics of a Traffic signal box that I am painted, This is a part of my local City beautification scheme which I am participating in. Every traffic light has a box exactly the same dimensions as mine and artist submitts a proposal to paint two of them, there are about 20 traffic boxes or so complete so far and this is my second and final one.

It is/was painted with acrylics and I endured rain showers and hot and steamy days. The size is about 400mm (16in) x 800mm(32in) x 1.75m(5'9in)

Gaka

suegercag
11-07-2004, 04:12 AM
Fantastic Gaka! :clap: :clap:
What a good Idea from your town,
I think its going to cause a bit of a distraction for the drivers though :D
Be good on a speed box, drivers will slow down for a look! lol
What did you do on the other one?

Bertoni
11-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Gaka:
This croc is painted superbly, great detail and color! And froggy is a fun addition to it!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Will you be posting the other one? Would love to see it!!!

slaterza
11-07-2004, 08:01 AM
Gaka,
This looks great. When I was back in the states they did this in our community to the large dumpsters that sit next to businesses and everyone loved what the artist did and it cut down on the graffitti that normally graced these dumpsters. of course each artist was given a new dumspter to work with which was a great help. the nice thing about this is that the dumpsters got moved every few weeks so we always had new artwork to look at.
Sam

mulberryblueshimmer
11-07-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi Gaka,

I'm pretty new to WC and working up the courage to post pic of my work.

Just wanted to say I really liked these pieces, especially the crocodile . The frog adds a really humourous touch :)

Einion
11-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Hi Bruce, thanks for posting these, very nice work. I just read your helpful post in the thread about the outdoor sign so I was wondering which type of paint you used for these?

Einion

Gaka
11-07-2004, 05:22 PM
The finished box

Suegercag....It is an excellant idea and it could be adapted to any other town or city. The boxes are noticable, but not as much a distraction as pedestrian traffic. We have an oceanside Esplanade in the centre of the city where tourist and locals sunbath topless less than 15m/45ft from the roadway.. :D

Bertoni...The other box was a Turtle and a couple of Whales in a Barrier reef setting. The pics are not the best that I have, but I can post then should you wish to see them.

Slaterza....I think that that is another great idea, we have not had a grafitti problems with any traffic box in the two years that this scheme has been going....Either graffitti vandals have not discovered our town/city, The young people appreciate the artwork on the boxes or the graffitti vandals may have or even be participating in the scheme a making legal grafitti art.

Hi ya Mulberry...Thank you for your comments and welcome to Wet Canvas, I look at art this way, It does not matter whether they are a famous artist or not. Their art and drawing started out bad just like everyone elses, So if you are concerned that your art is not good enough, dont worry about it as everyones art was not that great at some stage. If you have any problems posting your art PM me.....

Seeyalata....Gaka

Georgi
11-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Great idea and excellent work, Bruce. :) In Bowen, North Queensland, they have many murals on walls in the town centre...they began this practice a few years ago and it looks great.

Even though these are not my favourite critters (I had a 16 feet long python on my bed when I lived on Hinchinbrook Island...I managed the resort there a few years ago), you've done a wonderful job...congratulations.

Lee :)

Marty C
11-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi Bruce,
Fantastic idea on the part of the city and a wonderful contribution on your part. Superby done as always, I bet that croc scares a kid or two!

JamieWG
11-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Wow, what a fabulous concept! Nice going on your boxes! Did people stop and chat with you while you painted?

Jamie

Lady Carol
11-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Are both your boxes close to each other?

Well done these are looking great

Gaka
11-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Thank you for all of your comments...

Georgi....I live in Cairns and I have worked in Bowen and I have seen most of the murals. A couple from Rocky stopped and were telling me about some murals in Rocky too.

Marty C....It's a great idea that a lot of other cities could/should adopt. Even though you only get $350 for the artwork, it is the satisfaction of contributing and having your artwork give others pleasure that is invaluable.

JamieWG....Yep...There were certainly plenty of distractions as there is a couple of english collges just down the road for Japanese students as well as the general distractions...Oh...Yes there were others that stopped and talked, took photo's, talked art etc etc. :D

Lady Carol....The boxes are a block apart. I did not get involved in this scheme until it had been going for about 18 months. So my selection of boxes were limited within the city, I realy think that I got 2 of the better box localities.

Thank you all for stopping by.....Gaka

ExpressiveAngie
11-08-2004, 07:20 PM
:clap: Wowee :clap:
The city is very lucky to have you!

TxAggieDarlin
11-08-2004, 10:55 PM
What a great idea and you have done a wonderful job!!! I especially like the crocodile..........but I am concerned for the cute little frog :rolleyes:

Fantastic job

Lampburke
11-09-2004, 12:00 AM
That work is amazing!!

Tom Christopher
11-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey Gaka--.your work is alway amazing..I really like the crok..and the frog is a great detail.. almost like your signature. You have an open invitation to come to my town and paint on anything you desire LOL. Tom